• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games:why do gamers disregard them when it comes to a system's library?

Micael

Come to think of it, I may be too dismissive of AAA games. Things like Uncharted and Call of Duty look like the most boring awful shit to me. But that view can be just as close minded as being dismissive of indie games. Maybe I should give more AAA games a chance. Or maybe I would be wasting my time. My complete apathy towards 90% of AAA games does kind of make other gamer's apathy towards indie games make sense though.

While dismissing AAA games in general is also foolish, it isn't quite the same, AAA is much more sequel driven, while the indie market is primarily driven by new IPs, this is also reflected in sales, while you certainly have indie games with sequels that are doing better than the original, many times the reverse happens.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
1.) Console wars are more of an older adult thing than a kid thing these days, and older adults spent most of their lives without indie games existing. It's not really a core part of what they think of when they think video games, especially among those who kept on the console wars train.

2.) Indie games usually get ported around everywhere eventually, and the ones that don't aren't generally much lower profile titles.

3.) People playing in consoles in general are usually looking for AAA experiences, because if your primary interest was indie games, you would more likely be drawn to PC or mobile.

It's basically due to audience interests and demographics.

Despite liking indies, I still haven't been able to shake the feeling of them being "non real games" or "subclass games". And I don't know why. Maybe it's the feeling that they have a smaller scale, less lenght or the feel that they have less resources than a retail game made by a standard developer.

A common complaint I hear from indie haters is "I did not buy a Playstation 4 to play an Atari or NES game". For me it's more about the lack of polish, specially when doing really terrible ports to consoles. Broken Age in Vita, god damn it. Reason why except for Axiom Verge (for obvious reasons), I always leave the indies for PC.

SigSig

lmaoing at people posting screenshots of indie gamings diversity with dozens of different artstyles in both 2d and 3d, followed by people literally complaining about indie games all being bad 2d pixel art.
Like, I get it, you just don't want to play anything new under the sun, but do you even realize how stupid you look?
How does this always happen in these threads, are people really so determined to driveby-shitpost?

dan2026

Some of my friends do this and it drives me fucking crazy.

For example they won't play shovel knight because 'platformers were a thing from the 90s and they are old and boring now'.
Or they are 'not real games'.

One despairs.

Elven_Star

I simply don't play much (maybe 1 hour a day), and I reserve that time for games I have been anticipating for a long time. Stuff like Persona 5, Witcher 3, etc. I have tried some indies here and there, but honestly, they have never really clicked. Could be because the most important factor for me is the story, not the gameplay.

Some Nobody

Okay. I'm actually tired of seeing this, so yeah I'll field you an honest answer:

- To begin with, I disregard all games that I don't personally find interesting to me, so it's not just indie titles. I love RPGs, open-world games, and the occasional TPS and turn-based strategy game a la Tactics Ogre/Fire Emblem. You can maybe sell me on a character action game if its about a character I love, but that's really about it.
- That means there's a lot of different genres I don't give a fuck about. 99 percent of FPS games, platformers, racing, sim games, and on down the line.
- Most of these genres tend to fall into the purview of what indie games tend to be. While we're at it, I'll admit that in most cases I'm not trying to go "backwards". I've got little to no interest in 2D games, zero interest in anything pixel art. I don't wanna go back in time for 8, 16, or even the occasional 32/64-bit throwbacks.

It's got nothing to do with production value and everything to do with my personal opinion on aesthetics. And for what its worth, I don't owe anybody my interest. That's not how this works. Someone makes a game, and its almost binary: either I like it, or I don't.

At the same time, this isn't a value judgment on what other people like. How I feel about a thing doesn't affect people who love indie titles. But I do feel like I deserve the same right to be bored by and dismissive of a lot of these titles that all the AAA haters get when they talk about how "they don't care about E3 because the indie scene is so much better".

While we're on this subject: I also feel like this gets to has to play a part in whether or not I feel a system's library is beefy enough for me to make a purchase. Even though I've had a PS4 since Jan. 2014, I don't feel like the system had a good year until this year. 2014 was mostly dry, 2015 was The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne but I didn't care about Bloodborne, and 2016 was Uncharted 4 but one game does not a great year make.

Likewise with respect to The Switch, Zelda's the only title I feel is worth my money at the moment. But with Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem coming that opinion is subject to change very rapidly.

Say you don't like FPS games and nobody bats an eye.

Say you don't like side scrollers and everyone loses their minds and calls you stupid/ get overly defensive and be prepared for a long list of terrible games.

Valahart

Say you don't like side scrollers and everyone loses their minds and calls you stupid/ get overly defensive and be prepared for a long list of terrible games.

FPS are a much more defined; specific genre than "side scrollers".

Saying you don't like FPS's although a little close minded (since there's some variety on mechanics) is understandable.

Saying you don't like "side scrollers" makes absolutely no sense as it isn't even a genre and more like a camera angle?! Like people mentioned there are fighting games, platformers, rogue-lites, metroidvanias, walking simulators, point n clicks, RTS's, RPG's, SRPG's, puzzle games, beat n up's, shooters, that could all be categorised as "side scrollers".

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Okay. I'm actually tired of seeing this, so yeah I'll field you an honest answer:

- To begin with, I disregard all games that I don't personally find interesting to me, so it's not just indie titles. I love RPGs, open-world games, and the occasional TPS and turn-based strategy game a la Tactics Ogre/Fire Emblem. You can maybe sell me on a character action game if its about a character I love, but that's really about it.
- That means there's a lot of different genres I don't give a fuck about. 99 percent of FPS games, platformers, racing, sim games, and on down the line.
- Most of these genres tend to fall into the purview of what indie games tend to be. While we're at it, I'll admit that in most cases I'm not trying to go "backwards". I've got little to no interest in 2D games, zero interest in anything pixel art. I don't wanna go back in time for 8, 16, or even the occasional 32/64-bit throwbacks.

It's got nothing to do with production value and everything to do with my personal opinion on aesthetics. And for what its worth, I don't owe anybody my interest. That's not how this works. Someone makes a game, and its almost binary: either I like it, or I don't.

At the same time, this isn't a value judgment on what other people like. How I feel about a thing doesn't affect people who love indie titles. But I do feel like I deserve the same right to be bored by and dismissive of a lot of these titles that all the AAA haters get when they talk about how "they don't care about E3 because the indie scene is so much better".

While we're on this subject: I also feel like this gets to has to play a part in whether or not I feel a system's library is beefy enough for me to make a purchase. Even though I've had a PS4 since Jan. 2014, I don't feel like the system had a good year until this year. 2014 was mostly dry, 2015 was The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne but I didn't care about Bloodborne, and 2016 was Uncharted 4 but one game does not a great year make.

Likewise with respect to The Switch, Zelda's the only title I feel is worth my money at the moment. But with Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem coming that opinion is subject to change very rapidly.

You're saying that /YOU/ feel is worthwhile. Which is fair, you can discuss what you think is important. You can't say these titles don't exist in the first place.

You're throwing your subjective opinion into an overall opinion.

Also saying that 2D is going backwards is just a terrible opinion, and definitely your own. There have been many new and creative 2D games in recent times and with some exceptions I find that 3D gaming has been more stagnant in recent times, very sequel driven and played very safely. This largely has to do with growing budgets, it's not safe to take risks in a huge open world game.

It's also why when a series takes massive risks (for example Breath of the Wild) people lose their minds. Large series aren't known for taking risks anymore, you only find that in the indie scene. You also find a lot of garbage, but that comes with risk taking.

LordKasual

Banned
Most of them are on multiple platforms, and consoles are kind of driven by exclusives

Indie games are all over the place, and if you have a PC then you likely have the definitive platform to experience them on anyway

and no matter how charming indie games are...they aren't going to replace the experience of big budget games

Saying you don't like FPS's although a little close minded (since there's some variety on mechanics) is understandable.

Saying you don't like "side scrollers" makes absolutely no sense as it isn't even a genre and more like a camera angle?! Like people mentioned there are fighting games, platformers, rogue-lites, metroidvanias, walking simulators, point n clicks, RTS's, RPG's, SRPG's, puzzle games, beat n up's, shooters, that could all be categorised as "side scrollers".
ok change it to "I don't like first person games" still ppl don't jump on you. They understand that you don't like the view. It's the same for side scrollers. I don't wanna scroll from the side. Regardless of genre. Understand ?

Most are short and forgettable, so I'm not gonna list them amongst big AAA games that I likely spent significantly longer playing and I'll be remembering well for years.

Some Nobody

You're saying that /YOU/ feel is worthwhile. Which is fair, you can discuss what you think is important. You can't say these titles don't exist in the first place.

You're throwing your subjective opinion into an overall opinion.

This is ultimately what people mean when they say "This system doesn't have games"/"indies don't count". The games involved aren't games they would spend money on. Their reasons might be different from mine, but ultimately that's what they mean when they say they don't care and they don't see the system as having games.

Also saying that 2D is going backwards is just a terrible opinion, and definitely your own. There have been many new and creative 2D games in recent times and with some exceptions I find that 3D gaming has been more stagnant in recent times, very sequel driven and played very safely. This largely has to do with growing budgets, it's not safe to take risks in a huge open world game.

Eh. Here's another "hot taek": all the franchises that are best known for being 2D right now basically tried 3D, couldn't get it to work, and went back to 2D 'cause they felt it was easier. At least they had the formula down and got the sales and acclaim. That's saddening to me.

Having said that, I still don't ever want to be in anyone's way of enjoying 2D gaming. I'm happy Shovel Knight's a success, I just don't care to play it?

It's also why when a series takes massive risks (for example Breath of the Wild) people lose their minds. Large series aren't known for taking risks anymore, you only find that in the indie scene. You also find a lot of garbage, but that comes with risk taking.

lol. The "risk" BOTW took was to go open-world and include a lot of features open-world games tend to, but keep the Zelda formula and introduce a level of polish you often don't get from Western titles. Do you see the irony there?

Speak of the devil!
Have you ever considered you might be the fanboy?

I care about indies but the PC is the only place I play them. But because indies aren't normally exclusive peope disread them unless they are like Cuphead. If you enjoy portable indie gaming Switch is definitely for you.

Valahart

ok change it to "I don't like first person games" still ppl don't jump on you. They understand that you don't like the view. It's the same for side scrollers. I don't wanna scroll from the side. Regardless of genre. Understand ?

I find it just as stupid as not liking first person games.

meppi

1.) Console wars are more of an older adult thing than a kid thing these days, and older adults spent most of their lives without indie games existing. It's not really a core part of what they think of when they think video games, especially among those who kept on the console wars train.

Haven't thought about it like that.
Although when you're old enough to have lived thought the early 90's, 80's or even 70's arcade scene, then I don't think this really holds up. Unless you have no fondness for those games anymore of course.

I don't know...
I grew up playing the arcade versions of Space Invaders, Mappy, Moon Patrol, Elevator Action, Popeye, etc etc and quite a few indie games feel to me like they capture the spirit of that kind of game design. Naturally updated with todays knowledge of what works and what doesn't anymore, but still.

It's equally ridiculous. Portal, Doom, Thief, and Stalker are all first person shooters, you can include Elder Scrolls and Gone Home if you broaden it to just first person.

Generalizing based on broad categories is "side scrolling" or "first person" and so on is nonsense

jackal27

Banned
I mean even on the Nintendo Switch alone, look at the variety here:

02.png

fast-1-2.jpg

LI_2444687b.jpg

NSwitch_Snipperclips_01_mediaplayer_large.jpg

MrShifty4.jpg

Switch_GEM_Screenshot_4.png

Switch_PocketRumble_Screenshot_7.png

rime-screen-04-ps4-us-20aug14-1.jpg

WonderBoyTheDragonsTrap-B019.jpg

And these are just the ones off the top of my head... There is so much out there. No matter what kind of experience you're looking for, you can find an indie game that fits it. Also yeah I know some these had publishers, but Nintendo marketed them as indies so I'm gonna.

But it gets wayyyyyy more ppls jimmies rustled. Wayyy more insults thrown out like yours... it's really annoying. I find your attitude towards other ppls disinterest in indies "stupid."
Mainly because people who say that tend to have misinformed or unrealistic perspective (it's mainly all pixel art/platformers, etc.), so it's less "you don't like indie games" and more "you don't know what you're talking about"

It's like someone saying they're tired of games because it's all repetitive open world games

I don't have an inherent dislike or hatred towards indie games, I just haven't seen many that look interesting to me personally.

Broadly speaking I steer away from games (both indie and AAA) that rely heavily on puzzle-based gameplay and non-narrative gameplay (the exception being strategy and simulation-based games like Civ and Stellaris). Unfortunately a vast swath of games (again both indie and AAA) fall under those categories these days so my options are limited.

I'd totally be down for more indie games that played like my favourite series Mass Effect for example.

Because they're ignorant is really the only answer. There are so many different indie games across all genres that anyone who scoffs at a game just because it's an indie game is straight up stupid.

doop_

Banned
Indie games are just games. Nowadays i play more PC indie games than AAA games due to the sheer amount of them.

It's equally ridiculous. Portal, Doom, Thief, and Stalker are all first person shooters, you can include Elder Scrolls and Gone Home if you broaden it to just first person.

Generalizing based on broad categories is "side scrolling" or "first person" and so on is nonsense
They are in those broad categories because they share an important feature. If you are not a fan of that feature then no its not " nonsense". I don't enjoy gaming on a 2d plane. At all. So writing off all side scrollers because they scroll to the side on a 2d plain is the logical thing for me to do. I'm 28 I've never enjoyed them. I can play a beat em up for like 30 mins b4 I'm didintrested that's the longest I've gone.

Tigress

Yes, but as I pointed out, maybe some one is looking for a certain feel for a game. I much prefer FPS (and really I'm not that big into FPS's either, for one most are too linear though I can enjoy a good linear game if there is a good story to go with it but I absolutely prefer a first person aspect to anything else, even to third person but that's more of if you gave me a choice with a game which would I choose) to side scrollers mainly cause I want to more pretend I am in that world. Side scrolling really puts you out of that, it's just way too abstract. And even stories done with it are pretty abstract cause it's not trying to simulate a world, it's trying to be a game with game mechanics and maybe a coherant story (but story is really not its main point). It has the same failing that I'm happy games have moved on from as the old style games I grew up on (which was fine when that was the technology they had but I much prefer 3d worlds. I'm not nostalgic at all for old, pre 3d games. I'm quite happy to have moved on from them).

I think you're really looking at this from your own preferences and what you look for in a game and forgetting people are very different and have very different reasons why they may play a game. In general I prefer simulation in a game. Game mechanics are there to reasonabily assimulate the world the game is in (this is why I'm a huge Bethesda fan and also huge RPG fan.I like No Man's Sky cause while the graphics are a little more abstract than I'd prefer, yes I'd prefer more realistic graphics, it still allows me to use my imagination to pretend I'm exploring a system). Sure, I like gamey games too, but they're not the things that really get me excited more than fun extras. I will even prefer the more gamey games if they are 3d like Prince of Persia or Uncharted (still not my favorite type games but they are more of my favorite type games that have a more focus on gameplay mechanics feel vs. simulating world/story feel). They still feel more like I'm playing in the story than a 2d side scroller which feels a lot more like playing a game.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Nirolak said:
1.) Console wars are more of an older adult thing than a kid thing these days, and older adults spent most of their lives without indie games existing.
That's going into revisionist history. "AAA" as a concept only came into existence around 15 years ago, but more importantly - the 10-40$ releases always made a large portion of the console market(there would be no 10+ attach rates without them), and they were primarily produced by independent studios, including the occasional full-priced release among them (exception being a couple of publisher budget labels with internal development, but they were few and far in between), they just didn't have the option to self-publish then, yet.
I think disconnect happened when the bottom fell out of console market with 360/PS3 generation and most of that market disappeared, and got replaced by digital-distribution - highlights of which were "indie" developers. Plenty of people (including on Gaf) are still pretty attached to retail, so that's a big share of negative stigma towards the modern-day indie releases.
But it was also probably where the stigma of 2d scroller was born, not because there wasn't anything else available (we got Stardust and PJMonsters around the same time as Braid), but because those were the big, noisy hits that everyone talked about.

Which brings me to your second point - I do agree that this segment of games never provided much ammo in platform wars, even though plenty of them were also exclusive in retail-only days, simply due to lack of exposure. In the end people want the big-marketing budgets/noise to hit others on the head with - it's not very different from other mediums or products out there.

Aizen.S.Kennedy said:
Say you don't like side scrollers
Equating Indie games to side-scrollers is about as clever as "all AAA releases are COD clones".

Crayon

If an indie game had a 75 million dollar marketing campaign, you'd see a lot of people take it very seriously.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Aizen.S.Kennedy said:
I agree.. good thing nobody did that.. very clever of you to pointlessly mention it I guess.
Context of the post sounded like it - I've not seen much issue with disliking 2d-scrollers on Gaf, unless it was in the vein of "I hate indies - they're all 2d scrollers".

They are in those broad categories because they share an important feature. If you are not a fan of that feature then no its not " nonsense". I don't enjoy gaming on a 2d plane. At all. So writing off all side scrollers because they scroll to the side on a 2d plain is the logical thing for me to do. I'm 28 I've never enjoyed them. I can play a beat em up for like 30 mins b4 I'm didintrested that's the longest I've gone.
It's still a massive generalization. Basically any game that's not 3D is movement scrolling along a 2D plane. Hotline Miami, Geometry Wars, This War of Mine, Inside, etc, all play completely differently but all share a 2D or scrolling presentation. When you get that broad, it becomes increasingly diluted because so many genres and kinds of games share that "feature".

Applying the same to "indie game" is even more ridiculous because indie game is just "game". There is no one style or genre. It's like generalizing all books or all movies

LordRaptor

It is as ridiculous as saying you don't like music with guitars.

If an indie game had a 75 million dollar marketing campaign, you'd see a lot of people take it very seriously.
This notion that people don't like indies because of budget is laughable. Keep clinging to that instead of understanding some people like different things than you.

I mean AAA games all suck and cinematic something something. Dudebro no colors, etc..

There, now I fit in.

Crayon

This notion that people don't like indies because of budget is laughable. Keep clinging to that instead of understanding some people like different things than you.

I mean AAA games all suck and cinematic something something. Dudebro no colors, etc..

There, now I fit in.

Control yourself. I was commenting on the effect of widespread marketing.

LordRaptor

It's like saying I don't like county music... which I don't. The subject matter may change.. but I still hate the general sound. Guitars would be like saying I don't like games with jumping. It's way more broad.

Country music is a genre.
A guitar is a tool used to create music with.

A camera and what movement it utilises and whether it is using orthographic or perspective projection is a tool used to make a game.

JMY86

I don't play indie games so I personally dismiss them from any game library. I play mostly RPG's and some open world games thus indie games very rarely interest me. I am glad indie games exist for those that like to play them but I personally have no desire to play most of them.

Country music is a genre.
A guitar is a tool used to create music with.

A camera and what movement it utilises and whether it is using orthographic or perspective projection is a tool used to make a game.
Side scrollers have been identified as a genre in the gaming community since the 80s. If you don't agree that's cool. Doesn't make them any more fun for me to play so it's whatever.

Plum

You're comparing genres of games to a category of games and that's why I can't take your posts seriously. People don't jump on you for saying you're not a fan of a genre because it's just a genre, indies aren't just one genre so you're basing your dislike not on personal preference but some negative inherent bias towards a game just because of its release context.

Lets put this into another medium; Film. If you had any pretence of being knowledgeable about the medium yet said "I don't like animation" you'd be called possibly the worst thing you can be called in the film community: an Academy voter. Someone who says such a thing bases their bias on the notion that every single animated film is a for-kids Dreamworks film in the same way that your basing your dislike of indies on the idea that every single indie game is a side-scrolling platformer. Yes, a great number of animated films are mediocre Dreamworks films (though that entire studio isn't without merit), but you also have the works of Don Bluth, Don Hertzfeldt, Ralph Bakshi and many, many other animators who put their heart and soul into their work. Then, just because they chose to animate in much the same way indie developers choose, or are forced into, not having a big budget/publisher, they're deemed "unworthy" due to being lumped in with

Though, this is a little side-point, but blindly disliking everything in a genre is only slightly less silly than blindly disliking everything in a certain context. If you said "I don't like horror" does that mean you dislike both The Exorcist and Shaun of the Dead? I don't listen to much rap yet I wouldn't dismiss the entire genre as being "bad" or something I "don't like," because I realize that I don't have the knowledge to make any wide-spread statements about the genre. Though, of course, it's not a crime to dislike side-scrolling games, but you're on a gaming discussion board so advertising your ignorance (though don't get me wrong, being ignorant about petty things like games and music is fine, we're all ignorant in some way) instead of merely ignoring the discussion and expecting not to get called out on it is just asking for that exact thing to happen.

Side scrollers have been identified as a genre in the gaming community since the 80s. If you don't agree that's cool. Doesn't make them any more fun for me to play so it's whatever.
Side scrolling perspective, or the screen/player moving along a 2D plane, is present in

- adventure games
- platformers
- puzzlers
- run-n-guns
- brawlers
- shmups
- dual stick shooters
- strategy games
- RTS's
- racing games
- stealth games

among others

You're comparing genres of games to a category of games and that's why I can't take your posts seriously. People don't jump on you for saying you're not a fan of a genre because it's just a genre, indies aren't just one genre so you're basing your dislike not on personal preference but some negative inherent bias towards a game just because of its release context.

Lets put this into another medium; Film. If you had any pretence of being knowledgeable about the medium yet said "I don't like animation" you'd be called possibly the worst thing you can be called in the film community: an Academy voter. Someone who says such a thing bases their bias on the notion that every single animated film is a for-kids Dreamworks film in the same way that your basing your dislike of indies on the idea that every single indie game is a side-scrolling platformer. Yes, a great number of animated films are mediocre Dreamworks films (though that entire studio isn't without merit), but you also have the works of Don Bluth, Don Hertzfeldt, Ralph Bakshi and many, many other animators who put their heart and soul into their work. Then, just because they chose to animate in much the same way indie developers choose, or are forced into, not having a big budget/publisher, they're deemed "unworthy" due to being lumped in with

Though, this is a little side-point, but blindly disliking everything in a genre is only slightly less silly than blindly disliking everything in a certain context. If you said "I don't like horror" does that mean you dislike both The Exorcist and Shaun of the Dead? I don't listen to much rap yet I wouldn't dismiss the entire genre as being "bad" or something I "don't like," because I realize that I don't have the knowledge to make any wide-spread statements about the genre. Though, of course, it's not a crime to dislike side-scrolling games, but you're on a gaming discussion board so advertising your ignorance (though don't get me wrong, being ignorant about petty things like games and music is fine, we're all ignorant in some way) instead of merely ignoring the discussion and expecting not to get called out on it is just asking for that exact thing to happen.
I do not like the genres that a majority of indie games seem to be. I know indie fans don't like to admit that they seem to skew mostly to puzzlers/side scrollers/walking sims/ twin stick shooters/ 2d pixel graphics but it's true. Yea there a some that don't fit into those categories but it isn't the majority. If I don't enjoy the majority of something then I'm gunna just say I don't enjoy it. No point elaborating deeper on something I dislike.

Ok let's frame this another way. Lots of ppl have been posting quick " hey I love indies" drive bys.. no one said hey have you played all kinds? Your being dumb. I don't take your opinion seriously! You are biased! You just are closed minded! Etc because those ppl also lump them all together when they say they love them. Somehow that's fine when it's a statement you agree with. Go against that and suddenly all indies need to be taken on a case by case basis. I wonder why that is?

Why do ppl always go for the " you dont have the knowledge" like it's impossible someone played tons of indies and decided they weren't a fan. Yes there may be exceptions to the rule but it's still largely true. No I must be ignorant.. i haven't been playing games for 20 years.. I haven't played dozens and dozens of these types of games and found them not enjoyable. If it's not your opinion it must be ignorance. Gotcha. It would be better to ignore a discussion about why ppl don't count indies when I'm one of the ppl that don't count them... right...
show me where I said I expected not to get called out.. actually I said I did expect it.. this ain't my first indie rodeo and it won't be my last. I'm still waiting on a list of ten great( not just good) indies on PS4 that aren't
Sidescrollers( of any kind..)
Puzzles
Platformers
Walking sims
Twin stick shooters
Could be identified as Retro
Have pixel graphics
Beat em ups
Stealth
Racing

So I can give them an honest try and maybe change my mind.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
ITT: A lot of people who have no idea what an indie game actually is.

It has zero to do with budget, genre, perspective, or art style, for one thing. I think the label of 'indie' gets misunderstood fairly often, also in films as I bet people have seen movies they didn't know were indie films. I'm having a sneaking suspicion some in this topic who claim they don't like indie games have played some without realizing they're indie games (and visa versa, played games they thought were indie which weren't).

Indie games as it were is not a game genre, and really they're way too broad in spectrum to easily label anymore. It's just a certain method of game development, management, self-publishing, and funding is all.

Side scrolling perspective, or the screen/player moving along a 2D plane, is present in

- adventure games
- platformers
- puzzlers
- run-n-guns
- brawlers
- shmups
- dual stick shooters
- strategy games
- RTS's
- racing games
- stealth games

among others
Ok got you.. now let's say an individual let's call him Aizen-S- Kennedy for example doesn't enjoy
- adventure games
- platformers
- puzzlers
- run-n-guns
- brawlers
- shmups
- dual stick shooters
- strategy games
- RTS's
- racing games
- stealth games

That are on a 2d plane.. wouldn't it be fair for him To say I don't like side scrollers instead of writing a paragraph everytime? Shouldn't ppl assume I know all that and STILL stand by my statement.
Actually out of all those genres I only like strategy games/run an guns and adventure games at all even on 3D planes( yes I know some of those don't have 3D counterparts or change so dramatically that they aren't even comparable).

Puzzles
Platformers
Walking sims
Twin stick shooters
Have pixel graphics
Beat em ups
Stealth
Racing

You don't like any of these? I mean, I've seen some terrible taste in my years on Neogaf but damn.

Plum

I do not like the genres that a majority of indie games seem to be. I know indie fans don't like to admit that they seem to skew mostly to puzzlers/side scrollers/walking sims/ twin stick shooters/ 2d pixel graphics but it's true. Yea there a some that don't fit into those categories but it isn't the majority. If I don't enjoy the majority of something then I'm gunna just say I don't enjoy it. No point elaborating deeper on something I dislike.

Ok let's frame this another way. Lots of ppl have been posting quick " hey I love indies" drive bys.. no one said hey have you played all kinds? Your being dumb. I don't take your opinion seriously! You are biased! You just are closed minded! Etc because those ppl also lump them all together when they say they love them. Somehow that's fine when it's a statement you agree with. Go against that and suddenly all indies need to be taken on a case by case basis. I wonder why that is?

Why do ppl always go for the " you dont have the knowledge" like it's impossible someone played tons of indies and decided they weren't a fan. Yes there may be exceptions to the rule but it's still largely true. No I must be ignorant.. i haven't been playing games for 20 years.. I haven't played dozens and dozens of these types of games and found them not enjoyable. If it's not your opinion it must be ignorance. Gotcha. It would be better to ignore a discussion about why ppl don't count indies when I'm one of the ppl that don't count them... right...
show me where I said I expected not to get called out.. actually I said I did expect it.. this ain't my first indie rodeo and it won't be my last. I'm still waiting on a list of ten great( not just good) indies on PS4 that aren't
Puzzles
Platformers
Walking sims
Twin stick shooters
Have pixel graphics
Beat em ups
Stealth
Racing

So I can give them an honest try and maybe change my mind.

"I do not like the genre that most indies seem to be" does not mean "I don't like indies," which, up until now, is what you've been saying. To re-use my animation example; you might not like kids films which, yes, are the majority of animated features, but you're still not right in saying you don't like animation.

As for you being ignorant; from your laundry list of things you discount entirely I'd say that, in some part, you're ignoring a significant swathe of content just because of some inherent bias. You playing games for 20 years doesn't make you any more knowledgeable or well-read (right term?) as someone whose been playing for 5, especially when we're talking about a phenomenon that has only really become massive in the last 10 years or so. Have you given the time of day to the games in Micael's post here, or did you dismiss them because they're indie? You talk of people saying they love indie games, but liking/loving something and disliking/hating something are two different beasts entirely. You don't have to explain "I love indie games" because, generally, people understand that it doesn't mean that you love every single indie game out there, yet when you make a statement such as "I dislike indie games" or even "I dislike every 2-D game" what you base such an opinion on is going to be questioned.

No, you should discuss things here if you want, but you're the one pulling the "I'm being piled upon" card so if you aren't willing to face criticism for your viewpoints then yes, you should have ignored the thread.

Tigress

Puzzles
Platformers
Walking sims
Twin stick shooters
Have pixel graphics
Beat em ups
Stealth
Racing
You don't like any of these? I mean, I've seen some terrible taste in my years on Neogaf but damn.

I'm not a huge fan of them either. Some I'll like as time passers (puzzle games) or maybe an interesting time killer (walking games). I like racing games but I much much prefer them being 3d (I want to feel like I'm racing, not like I'm just playing a game... once again, I prefer games to have a more simulation feel, not a game feel). Twin stick shooters can be kinda fun I admit but they're not really the kinda game I really look for when I want a game (it's not what I'd buy a console over and it's more of a if I get access to it or see it and it looks interesting I might play it).

You know what I prefer? RPGs and action games (preferably with RPG elements honestly). I will even like the occasional shooter/linear game if it has a good story. Or Borderlands since it combines RPG elements, open world, and shooting (I do like the shooting mechanic but linear games really just bore me quickly). I like exploration in my game, i like exploring a world (is a big reason I much prefer open world games in general). Stuff I can kinda pretend I'm in the story and play as the character in general. ANd simulates the world. Yes, I do tend to gravitate towards AAA games but for what I want out of a game usually requires a larger budget. And yes, I do notice them doing some things in weak ways to be able to appeal to a wider audience cause they have to make more money (don't get me started on the watering down of RPG elements in Bethesda games).

That's my preferences. Sorry it doesn't include the ones above that you like. There's a reason there is a lot of different games, people are diverse and have very different things they want out of a game. Hell, even within RPG I know I'll disagree with another RPG fan on which one is better (I like Bethesda games over Witcher games because they are more like simulators and Witcher feels a little too gamey in ways to me. ANd I'll even admit I think CDPR did a better job of what type of game they were trying to make Witcher be than Bethesda has with their recent games on what type of games I like them for. I fully admit Bethesda has issues but for the type of RPG they make it hits more of what I want than Witcher does).

"I do not like the genre that most indies seem to be" does not mean "I don't like indies," which, up until now, is what you've been saying. To re-use my animation example; you might not like kids films which, yes, are the majority of animated features, but you're still not right in saying you don't like animation.

As for you being ignorant; from your laundry list of things you discount entirely I'd say that, in some part, you're ignoring a significant swathe of content just because of some inherent bias. You playing games for 20 years doesn't make you any more knowledgeable or well-read (right term?) as someone whose been playing for 5, especially when we're talking about a phenomenon that has only really become massive in the last 10 years or so. Have you given the time of day to the games in Micael's post here, or did you dismiss them because they're indie?

No, you should discuss things here if you want, but you're the one pulling the "I'm being piled upon" card so if you aren't willing to face criticism for your viewpoints then yes, you should have ignored the thread.
ok are u gunna write a post this long to those who said " I love indies" and left. Or nah.

It's not a "card" it's the ability to read. No one cares about blanket statements on loving indies. Only hating them. Your bias is showing ppl.

Obviously I'm willing to face the "criticism" because I'm still here replying aren't I? Can't you face criticism of your criticism or should I just not post here. Get real.

Top Bottom