• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Green plays Resident Evil HD Remaster - Black Dragon vs reREmake

Did they take out auto aim in this game? I remember beating RE on the Gamecube on hard and auto aim seemed to be on... I rarely manually aimed, and I could shoot objects off screen no problem. Jeff doesn't seem to be hitting anything.

Giever

Did they take out auto aim in this game? I remember beating RE on the Gamecube on hard and auto aim seemed to be on... I rarely manually aimed, and I could shoot objects off screen no problem. Jeff doesn't seem to be hitting anything.

He seemed to hit almost all of the zombies fine, it was just the dog in the entrance that he couldn't really hit, and that's most likely because it was jumping all over the place, and you need to maintain line of sight to lock onto it.

-MD-

Auto aim is still there on the default 3 difficulties.

Shy

that was a great first stream.
i hope i didn't get on your nerves with the messages i kept writing in all caps jeff.
i was just trying to make sure you knew how to save and shoot your gun.

also. what is the brand of chocolate pretzels you eat on stream, i've been wanting try em' for a while now. if you don't mind me asking.

Oh shiet. "Accidentally" started uploading it myself just assuming he hadn't pressed export yet lol.
damm it john. you had one job to do. !!! :p

Sanctuary

Soon as I click on the stream.

"those controls are horrible, now this I get!" while using the new ones.

What's funny is, when I first started my replay of this game a few days ago, I thought I was trying out the new controls, because that's what it showed in the option screen (even though I had it set to original too). Wondered what the hell was going on since people kept saying you can literally move in any direction with the new controls, and it seemed identical to the tank controls of old to me. Anyway, after figuring out what was up, I finished the last half of the game using the new analog controls.

Personally I think they actually control about the same due to the way the camera still forces you to readjust the direction you're moving in pretty often. I think avoiding enemies becomes slightly easier, but the original controls just felt more natural to me in other aspects.

Oh my god, he just needs to restart the game, that Cerberus is gonna haunt him forever.

Also a bit off topic, but considering there are probably alot of Survival Horror/ REmake/Mikami fans up in here, how is The Evil Within? I'm already finished with like my 4th playthrough of REmake (finally got a sub 3-hour gametime on normal, had 2 hours and 58 minutes haha) and really need a taste of some more awesome horror games. I still haven't played RE2 or RE3 yet and I was gonna start those right up on my Vita, but I just found out that my brother accidently took my charging cable when he was up at my house last weekend so I probably won't be able to play on my Vita til next weekend now :(.

It's a hodgepodge of various games besides just those he had any influence over. It's mostly worth playing, but if you didn't like RE4 or beyond much, you might have issues with quite a few of the levels. It was a "good game", but it has a lot of issues and isn't a classic like RE, RE2, REmake and RE4.

PS: RE2 is still the best of the classic formula games. The main reason so many people prefer REmake is because of the huge facelift the original ended up with. Had RE2 and RE3 gotten the same promised treatment, the opinions wouldn't be so lopsided.

UrbanRats

I loved the part where he turned away from the zombie to run away. Then turned back toward it. Then turned away but it was too late and got bit from behind.

Oh wait, that happened more than once.

Equivalent of Dark Souls' "keep shield up preventing stamina regeneration - enemy is about to attack - lower shield to get stamina back & attack - get smashed in the face".

bqhGmAt.gif

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I don't usually watch streams, but this was hilarious. lol
But I think he's going to run into some real trouble later on and get stuck unless he shapes up (lack of ammo, most probably). Also, didn't he choose the hardest difficulty when he restarted? That probably won't help either. At least he's not playing as Chris though.

I don't usually watch streams, but this was hilarious. lol
But I think he's going to run into some real trouble later on and get stuck unless he shapes up (lack of ammo, most probably). Also, didn't he choose the hardest difficulty when he restarted? That probably won't help either. At least he's not playing as Chris though.

Those are my concerns, especially with the difficulty which he seemed to choose without even reading the options.

This is a game where you can easily get yourself into a state where you almost literally can't complete it, so he can't afford to make too many mistakes with ammo, herbs and ink ribbons. I'm only 50 minutes in though, so I'll see how it goes.

eot

Banned
Equivalent of Dark Souls' "keep shield up preventing stamina regeneration - enemy is about to attack - lower shield to get stamina back & attack - get smashed in the face".

The funny thing about that is that he had almost frame perfect timing on lowering his shield

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Those are my concerns, especially with the difficulty which he seemed to choose without even reading the options.

This is a game where you can easily get yourself into a state where you almost literally can't complete it, so he can't afford to make too many mistakes with ammo, herbs and ink ribbons. I'm only 50 minutes in though, so I'll see how it goes.

Yeah, in games like Dark Souls you almost always have a bunch of options if you get stuck, you always get new estus flasks at bonfires and so on. In Res Evil there's a limited amount of items. I mean, there's always the knife but... yeah.
If he learns to run past enemies he'll be in a much better spot, but considering how much he's struggling with camera angles as it is I'm kind of doubtful. Hoping for the best though, will continue watching for sure!

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
So after reading this thread this morning (and thanks for the kind comments), I went into the game on one of those earlier saves and practiced with the tank controls. Once I kept in mind that "pressing forward always moves her forward in the way she's facing"---I grokked it in about 2 minutes. So now it actually seems easier and makes more sense to me, amazingly, when dealing with the shifting camera perspectives. Funny how that happens.

Next stream I'm gonna switch to tank controls. The only thing that worries me is that I'm going to still get confused when being pursued. But just while walking around and checking stuff out and not having to panic, I totally get it now. (Or so I say now...)

Thanks again!

I've never watched a Lets play before but Jeff is hilarious. The controls, dieing twice on the first goomba zombie, finding the map. Now I'm just picturing Jill stopping to unfold a roadmap every ten seconds telling everyone to hold on, lol.

I wish someone would explain to him why the tank controls work better with the camera than the new ones.

Edit - Missed Jeff's post.

Hugstable

Banned
So after reading this thread this morning (and thanks for the kind comments), I went into the game on one of those earlier saves and practiced with the tank controls. Once I kept in mind that "pressing forward always moves her forward in the way she's facing"---I grokked it in about 2 minutes. So now it actually seems easier and makes more sense to me, amazingly, when dealing with the shifting camera perspectives. Funny how that happens.

Next stream I'm gonna switch to tank controls. The only thing that worries me is that I'm going to still get confused when being pursued. But just while walking around and checking stuff out and not having to panic, I totally get it now. (Or so I say now...)

Thanks again!

Jeffe remember that you can reduce the damage that Zombies do to you by circling the left stick. Also I would maybe set the game to easy, the second difficulty setting. Congrats on getting down those tank controls, they really are perfect for this game once mastered.

Thanks again!

I'm glad you tackled the controls again, they really work well once you get used to it since the game is built around it. I think you will do so as time goes on. It was very enjoyable seeing someone who hasn't played RE before, play it for the first time. Really took me back to when I first played the game back in the day. Awesome work and very entertaining!

I generally enjoy Jeff's streaming, but this one was a bit too much DarksidePhil for me.

I'm out!

eh i dunno, the last 30 minutes he was definitely getting the hang of the game and had a nose for what to do.

Thanks again!

also another tip, after you figure out where to go and what to do but end up using a lot of ammo/get attacked a bunch of times--it's sometimes better to just reload your last save and do what you just played over again but quicker. hell, i imagine you could restart the game and get to where you currently are in 15 minutes.

RagnarokX

Thanks again!

Just remember that the directions are relative to the character. The new controls would probably cause more confusion because you'll change direction every time you transition to a new camera angle and end up running back into danger.

Does the remaster not have the type C controls from the Gamecube version? I always found it easier holding down the shoulder button to run forward than use the stick. Made the tank controls much more manageable for me anyway. Great stream as always though Jeff!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Watching him in the hallway with the first zombie, really feel like I'm watching someone who's literally never played a game before.

Hugstable

Banned
Watching him in the hallway with the first zombie, really feel like I'm watching someone who's literally never played a game before.

This is what I loved so much about this stream, because REmake was one of my first Survival Horror games ever. It brought back so much memories of how horrible I was at this game back when I first played it on GC back in the day also, and I definitely wasn't new to video games at all at the time. Game is much different than most games you see since it's a slower and much more methodical game, heck I honestly don't consider REmake to be much of an action game, more of a Survival Horror/Adventure type of game. And I died to that Zombie twice back in the day also, it's embarrassing, but once the game clicks, it really clicks. Can't wait to see Jeff's progression through this game, especially once he realizes that zombies and dogs aren't shit, and are the least of his worries within the Spencer Estate :D

Thanks again!

Atta boy, Jeff!

Whoever said you can't teach an ol' dog new tricks should be dragged out into the street and shot.

Thanks again!

Make sure when you stream again you load your second to last save instead of your last one so you save the ink ribbon.

Also please stream again asap

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Does the remaster not have the type C controls from the Gamecube version? I always found it easier holding down the shoulder button to run forward than use the stick. Made the tank controls much more manageable for me anyway. Great stream as always though Jeff!

Yeah, that's how I played REmake back on GC as well, doesn't seem to be in the re-release though (from what I saw in the stream).

dmr87

Thanks again!

Glad to see that you get it, just remeber that you have the 180 quick turn (run button + down/flip the right stick) and play with the D-Pad.

And about the difficulty, despite it being Normal it's quite challenging, even more so for a new player. But it's the true Resident Evil experience, don't feel bad though for knocking it down one notch. You beat Dark Souls so you have the right mindset for challenging games, if you stick with it you could probably manage. Just keep in mind that you need to manage/conserve your items.

MMaRsu

Banned

Thanks again!

Yesssssss I was so bummed out when you switched to alternate controls, for me personally it ruins the game.

I cant wait for part two :).

Bl@de

Oh god ... it's so painful to watch the first 45min. It's like watching a monkey playing a game. I mean Jeff couldn't even walk forward. What the hell is he doing with the controller? Random finger motions xD? I was 10 when I played RE for the first time. Sure I sucked too ... but this is something else.

Btw. someone should tell Jeff that Resident Evil was always on PC :p He just missed it because of endless Heroes of Might & Magic. I was PC only until 2002 (Gamecube was my first console ... guess why :p) and played RE 1-3.

Ahh Jeff is on Neogaf. Hey Jeff. Loved your Dark Souls streams.

JeffGreen said:
Next stream I'm gonna switch to tank controls

God help us all ...

Seregil

I think the people suggesting he switch to easy are forgetting how short the game is. He played for like 2.5 hours but only did 10 minutes worth of actual progress. If he gets stuck he can load an earlier save or even restart the game and get back to wherever he is in a really short amount of time once he knows where to go and what to do. As long as he finds all the weapons he will still have plenty of ammo to kill most enemies in the game, so there really is no need to turn the difficulty down.

Yeah, that's how I played REmake back on GC as well, doesn't seem to be in the re-release though (from what I saw in the stream).

He never goes into the control menu. There are 5 or 6 options and I'm pretty sure that is one of them.

Jeff, another note - even if you leave the modern controls on, they only apply to the analog stick. The D-pad is always classic control. So you can have it both ways if you set the controls to modern.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
He never goes into the control menu. There are 5 or 6 options and I'm pretty sure that is one of them.

Jeff, another note - even if you leave the modern controls on, they only apply to the analog stick. The D-pad is always classic control. So you can have it both ways if you set the controls to modern.

You're right, I initially thought the only control choice was Alternate or Original.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

Type E. I can't play the game any other way.

I'm playing through Zero right now and the lack of a similar control option is really disappointing :(

Jeff Green @Greenspeak

The People have asked for more Resident Evil livestreaming today. And I am a man of the people. 5pm Pacific!

Top Bottom