• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Green plays Resident Evil HD Remaster - Black Dragon vs reREmake

MMaRsu

Banned
Jeff your vape bit had me laughing out loud. Combine the herb with the vape haha.

Nice of you to stream again.

orborborb

I've always found tank controls on an analog stick to drive me insane. Resident Evil was originally designed for the Dpad and that works OK. But the game they were primarily inspired by, Alone in the Dark on the PC, developed this control scheme for the computer keyboard, where it makes a lot more sense.

But even better than that is the tank control scheme created specifically for this remake (you can find it in Options:Control:Type E). You use the analog right trigger to control how fast you move forward and the analog stick only for turning. Steering wheel and gas pedal, complete control! And you just flick the other analog stick for a quick turn to run away (which you should do all the time).

Giever

So after reading this thread this morning (and thanks for the kind comments), I went into the game on one of those earlier saves and practiced with the tank controls. Once I kept in mind that "pressing forward always moves her forward in the way she's facing"---I grokked it in about 2 minutes. So now it actually seems easier and makes more sense to me, amazingly, when dealing with the shifting camera perspectives. Funny how that happens.

Next stream I'm gonna switch to tank controls. The only thing that worries me is that I'm going to still get confused when being pursued. But just while walking around and checking stuff out and not having to panic, I totally get it now. (Or so I say now...)

Thanks again!

Just remember to use the D-Pad if you're going for the tank controls!

UrbanRats

I think playing it on easy would be so much more enjoyable for Jeff (and people watching).
It's just not a game that gains that much from harder difficulties, especially if you have problems with the controls, the orientation, the puzzles and so on already.

Most of all, this ain't Dark Souls, here stubborness alone may not be enough because you *can* find yourself halfway through the game with not enough to finish it, in terms of medicinal and ammo.
Whereas Dark Souls you had the game become easier and easier either by leveling up or loser clearing.

"Progress was made"

Compared to yesterday, the amount he played today versus yesterday, he made progress within that time frame. Killed 2 dogs, save room, the room with the dog whistle + ammo and practically got stuck there. He's getting better but you can see he is still struggling with the controls/camera angle changes. He won't get better at those unless he plays more and basically just practices.

EDIT: In the end though, I hope he's having fun just like I, personally am, while I watch his stream.

Giever

I think playing it on easy would be so much more enjoyable for Jeff (and people watching).
It's just not a game that gains that much from harder difficulties, especially if you have problems with the controls, the orientation, the puzzles and so on already.

Most of all, this ain't Dark Souls, here stubborness alone may not be enough because you *can* find yourself halfway through the game with not enough to finish it, in terms of medicinal and ammo.
Whereas Dark Souls you had the game become easier and easier either by leveling up or loser clearing.

This is really great and succinctly put. It's pretty much what I was going to post, but better. I hope Jeff sees it.

He complained at the end of the stream about mainly enjoying the exploration and puzzles, and kind of wanting to turn the enemies off. I know that was a half-joke, but it still might be more enjoyable for everyone involved if he just switches to easy. Then we can all have fun with some startling moments along with him trying to figure out the puzzles without the frustration of endless restarts.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

Yeah, this is probably the way to go as much as I don't like to admit it. I think even Very Easy would still provide a good watching experience as long as he sticks to tank controls.

He can always run Chris's mode on Normal later if he feels like easy mode is cheating.

Shy

good stream.

although i want to apologise jeff.
i was the silly ass in the stream that kept typing "the door at the hallway with the zombie can picked"
i didn't think it was a spoiler because you opened it once before 5-10 min earlier.
and i kept repeating it be cause i was afraid it was getting lost in the chat, and i didn't want you to run off in the wrong direction.

sorry again if i pissed you off.

have a great week at D.I.C.E.

Minion101

Banned
I guess I've never had a problem with "tank" controls. I drove a lot of RC cars as a kid. The alternate controls cause a lot of weird movements, but seems needed for people who can't adapt.

zma1013

Isn't there supposed to be a way to bump up the resolution to 1080p? It looks like he's playing at a lower resolution but I'm not totally sure. It wasn't in the display options in the first stream so where do you actually change screen res on the PC?

Also, I re-watched the part in the first stream where he restarts his game and he picks hard mode.

tchocky

Isn't there supposed to be a way to bump up the resolution to 1080p? It looks like he's playing at a lower resolution but I'm not totally sure. It wasn't in the display options in the first stream so where do you actually change screen res on the PC?

Also, I re-watched the part in the first stream where he restarts his game and he picks hard mode.

The chat said that was normal and the other two are easy and very easy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ha, I didn't realize this existed. Excellent.

Bittercup

I don't doubt that Jeff can beat the game on normal but I don't think that Resident Evil 1 is a game that gains much by playing on a higher difficult setting and I would never recommend others that they absolutely have to play on normal, when it's their first time. If normal is not too hard for you, that's fine but playing on easy is not 'giving up'. It's no matter the difficult setting a great game.
And it's not like the Souls games where dying over and over again and beating difficult obstacles is part of the game or what the game is about. I always felt it's more about the exploration and the puzzles as the main aspect and survival with the zombies and limited items to add additional challenge to the game. Increasing the difficult setting only makes the fighting against zombies harder and limits the items even more. That's fun when you want even more challenge but not necessary to enjoy the game.

Either way, I'm enjoining Jeff's stream as always. Especially the comments about Barry in the first stream were hilarious.

Field

I've only watched most of part one but I hate how he always chooses the wrong way to go.

Edit: He got a lot better in the end though. I'm glad he is enjoying it.

UrbanRats

The chat said that was normal and the other two are easy and very easy.

It makes really no difference what you call it, as normal or easy mode, the "hike" one isn't so easy as to break the game at all.
Yet calling it easy makes it sounds like you don't want to engage with the game's mechanics or something like that, which isn't the case.

It's not one of those games that like deactivate manual combos on easy, the game remains intact, it's just a bit more lenient with resources and damage.
Dying every 2 or 3 bites will become a nightmare, as soon as Jeff hits the
Hunters
or the
Chimeras
, or areas more packed with Cerberus (the dogs).
I mean yes he can do it, probably, if he beats his head over it for 40 hours, but is that how he really wants to experience a game that is mostly strong on atmosphere? By reloading the same 15 minutes 30 times every single time before making it to the next type writer? For what, Internet cred? We know Jeff doesn't give a shit about that, and as i said, he wouldn't be losing anything lowering the difficulty from hard to normal, just making the experience more enjoyable.

And what he did so far, playing it on normal with the better understanding of the controls he has now, is like 20 minutes worth of progress (repeated 50 times) so it's not like he'd have to start over from the half way point.

Going forward will only make that decision harder to take.

I repeat, this is not about giving up, this is about, even if he wins the game like this, missing out on the best part the game has to offer, its atmosphere and slow pacing, because you have to repeat the same segment so many times you inevitably lose track of what's going on and get pulled out of the experience.
This is not Dark Souls and it's not Ninja Gaiden, and it's not Bayonetta, and it shouldn't be played like one.

EDIT: For clarity, when i say "normal" i mean the middle option, the "hiking" one, whereas Jeff selected the top one, the "climbing" one, that i consider to be "hard".

Field

Yeah based on the first two streams he maybe should start again on easy since this is a game where you can literally be stuck in a dead end situation where you have no health, ammo and saves left if you are not careful.

If he wants to continue on the current difficulty he still needs to reset anyway because he wasted a ton of resources early on and continually runs into problems as a result.

Jeff, if you are going to play on Normal you are going to have to change your playstyle. Meaning, treat it like Dark Souls. You rush to save your progress every time but you are saving bad runs that trap you. Instead, you need to continually die without saving and repeat your prior effort with the knowledge and experience you have gained and then save when you have an optimized run through that portion of the game. That is absolutely the only way to get through Normal difficulty.

Bl@de

Jeff should really take his time to learn the controls. Practice off stream for an hour. Because the way he controls the games and wastes his ressources I don't see him having fun when stronger enemies appear. I don't know if it's so good to talk him into tank controls. The alternate method is perfectly fine. I tried it for a while and that way the character will always walk where he points the stick. It would be easier because Jeff starts to button mash when he panics and can't even walk anymore.

Also:
- Never touch the right stick. Only for 180° turns.
- Never aim manually! Just let go off "Aim" for a second and Press it again so Jill Autoaims again. Only manual aim = Shotgun up when a zombie is near for a more likely headshot. Nothing else.
- Only heal when in Red Warning/Danger. Everything else is a waste.
- Don't fight every enemy. You will have no ammo for bosses. And you don't want to knife them.
- Please Jeff. Stop saving! I saved 23 times on normal with Chris and had 2 ink ribbons left (I remember 6 I didn't pick up, so I guess 30 saves on normal. And you saved 5 times by the time you progressed 5-10 minutes into the game.). The way you waste ressources you will end up with no more ink ribbons very soon. And then you will have to repeat long segments over and over. It will be no more fun.

Yeah, restart on Easy (the middle option in this game) which has been verified to only affect resource abundance and enemy strength..

That way Jeff, you can focus more on the puzzles and tank controls will come naturally as you struggle less with the zombies.

It's not instantly going to become a cakewalk or anything, so there's no shame in it. It's a hard game already, which is why they added an additional, easier third option this time.

So restart, keep everything on original, and when aiming, as said above, just press LT to refocus any time you need to, instead of trying to manually turn and shoot.

Follow these tips, and you'll beat the game in one. Then, after that, if you're confident in your well honed skills, you can play as Chris on the harder mode if you want to prove something to the Internet.

Didn't start watching til 2a, but...

"Now my dog is whining to get out. Frickin' dog"

*gets up and turns from screen*

*gets mauled by in-game dog, doesn't notice*

"blah blah blah HOLY FUCK"

This shit writes itself LMFAO

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
good stream.

although i want to apologise jeff.
i was the silly ass in the stream that kept typing "the door at the hallway with the zombie can picked"
i didn't think it was a spoiler because you opened it once before 5-10 min earlier.
and i kept repeating it be cause i was afraid it was getting lost in the chat, and i didn't want you to run off in the wrong direction.

sorry again if i pissed you off.

have a great week at D.I.C.E.

You totally did not piss me off, don't worry about it. :) At that point in the stream I was frustrated with myself and the controls, not you or anyone in chat. That said, chat seemed more hostile yesterday in general (not necessarily towards me) than in my Dark Souls streams. The best thing for me in those situations is to just focus on the game and let chat sort itself it in a Lord of the Flies manner.

Regarding starting over from scratch on easy--you guys might have convinced me to do that here, as well as practicing with the controls off stream. The goal here is to actually experience the game to completion, and while I'm totally fine with looking like an incompetent idiot for a little while, that will also get old fast, for everyone. :).

I will ponder this over the next week.

And thanks again to everyone for watching and for your advice!

Top Bottom