• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jez Corden] Hotly anticipated 'Black Myth: Wukong' is delayed on Xbox for 'optimizations' — and now, Microsoft has responded

//DEVIL//

Or, and I'm just being probably correct here, MS is just making up stuff. They have a parity clause with that POS Xbox Series S and it's already been a problem for games before. See: BG3.

Curious, did you hate Microsoft for two decades when they were doing the "Xbox First" E3s, or are you just a giant hypocrite like most of the other hardcore Xbox community?
I don’t own an Xbox . And I don’t hate Sony either . I just hate shady business practice like this .

I also understand where they coming from. If they don’t do this MS will eat them alive . So they are trying their best to stay relevant.

And MS isn’t any better. They are a worse company than Sony in general . If you can’t beat them buy them or disrupt the whole market just because they can . Not gaming only but in everything they do.

I don’t have a loyalty to a a plastic box bud

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don’t own an Xbox . And I don’t hate Sony either . I just hate shady business practice like this .

I also understand where they coming from. If they don’t do this MS will eat them alive . So they are trying their best to stay relevant.
Bro Sony is outselling MS anywhere from 3:1 to 9:1 depending on the country, when is MS gonna start feasting? I mean, based on those numbers wouldn’t MS be more concerned about staying relevant?

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Black Myth: Wukong for Xbox Series X|S seems to be a myth of its own, at least for now.

Microsoft's statement....

DHg8S5S.png

So somebody is lying. Is the game not coming to XS at launch due to "optimization" or due to a deal with "other platform holders"?

Peter Defazio GIF by GIPHY News

The Dev said it was due to "optimizations", but now MS is implying it's because a deal was in place. Time will reveal who's telling the truth while the fanboys carry the torches to Microsoft's fence instead of standing in between Dev and MS.

cireza

I'mma be honest, nothing in the recent footage seems like it'd be an issue for Series S either.
I think that this here is the correct assertion. Optimization happens for all consoles, they are a small developer, Series were not their priority. Doesn't mean that it is going to be impossible to run on Series S.

If anything, be happy that these developers are taking their job seriously and don't want to release a rushed version.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Bro Sony is outselling MS anywhere from 3:1 to 9:1 depending on the country, when is MS gonna start feasting? I mean, based on those numbers wouldn’t MS be more concerned about staying relevant?
You only looking at sales figures . Not the bigger picture where MS profit of last year alone is probably more than what Sony is worth as a whole or close to.

Yes they been trying and failing for 20 years. Which is why they are disrupting the market now by being the biggest devs / publisher of all time. They are basically just reshuffling now and will try again and again till they can. Or the market is no longer important to them .

This is just how MS operate really.
At first their goal was hardware sales where it counted. Now they want the office 365 of gaming subscription stuff .

fallingdove

What third party deals have happened when a game is announced for Playstation and then MS strike a deal to stop it coming out on that platform?

I am not saying that is whats happened here as we don't know, but if it is then its shady as fuck.
I just don’t buy that a deal happened. If Sony had timed exclusivity, they would be shouting it from the rooftops (blog posts, videos, marketing assets) — especially where the platform has a pretty lean offering going into the back half of the year.

It’s much more likely that this is a small development team that haven’t spent as much time working with the S/X and need to figure out how to optimize for the platform.

DryvBy

And MS isn’t any better. They are a worse company than Sony in general . If you can’t beat them buy them or disrupt the whole market just because they can . Not gaming only but in everything they do.

I don’t have a loyalty to a a plastic box bud

Sony is staying relevant with 0 games this year lol. Xbox has been getting all of these exclusives and deals for 6 months. After ABK, they cut the price in almost half and they still were being badly beaten. I think your green is showing.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

You could have looked at Baldur's Gate 3 and said the same thing.

You're not a developer though so you have no idea about what does and doesn't become an issue when creating a piece of software for multiple configurations.
Ultimately, none of us know if there is a sole reason for the hangup and what that would be at this point. We have a singular example, out of hundreds of releases, where the SS caused a game to miss its simultaneous release date. With how little we know, the argument that the SS is the sole culprit for this delay may be a valid argument, but it for sure is not a sound argument.

Last edited:

squarealex

6GB GPU + 16 RAM
Series S has 10 GB for everything

And people forget GPU is less powerful than One X.

Also, (V)RAM Memory bandwhich is very low. (even lower than One X)
226 GB/s and only usuable for 8GB, the extra 2GB run only at 56 GB/s

So the Series S have less than 6 GB of VRAM (even more, depending if the game needed more RAM), I suppose the extra 2 GB is only for the OS. (And system memory bus is 128 Bit when PS4 and PS4 Pro is 256 Bit)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The Dev said it was due to "optimizations", but now MS is implying it's because a deal was in place. Time will reveal who's telling the truth while the fanboys carry the torches to Microsoft's fence instead of standing in between Dev and MS.

Saw plenty of torches being carried in Sony's direction with the news of the Xbox delay. Didn't know the truth then either, but that didn't stop anything. Hell.....we had the big Xbox media darling Ryan McCaffrey leading the charge.

Last edited:
I assume his request for a statement also involved asking a question of if it was a PS5 console timed exclusive. Then they responded to that. I think this is all on Jez honestly. He's trying to stir the pot and take some of the heat off of Series S .

Zheph

I assume his request for a statement also involved asking a question of if it was a PS5 console timed exclusive. Then they responded to that. I think this is all on Jez honestly. He's trying to stir the pot and take some of the heat off of Series S .
Sounds like it but the fanboys carry the torches to Sony's fence instead of standing in between Dev and the XSS (copyrighted)

Last edited:
Ultimately, none of us know if there is a sole reason for the hangup and what that would be at this point. We have a singular example, out of hundreds of releases, where the SS caused a game to miss its simultaneous release date. With how little we know, the argument that the SS is the sole culprit for this delay may be a valid argument, but it for sure is not a sound argument.
We only have one instance but we also have plenty of devs complaining about the lack of RAM before the Series S even released and after.

Topher

Gold Member
But that would exclude PS5/SX as well, they have 16GB for everything. The game's minimum requirement is 16+6.

PC requirements don't scale linearly to consoles.

Which simply means that even PS5 and XSX will require some optimization for it to run to their standard. Not exactly a stretch to say that XSS will require more optimization than XSX and PS5 due to it being even more memory constrained.

the only "deal" i can see is for the physical version
If that is the case, no one should be mad about that… let’s be honest here, no one is buying disc’s for the Xbox.

The last physical game I bought for Xbox was Halo 5 on launch and that’s only because my son was 15 at the time and wanted to do one last Halo midnight launch together (we didn’t do halo 4 for reasons I can’t remember) but I took him to the Halo 2 launch when he was 4 and the Halo 3 launch when he was 7 which was like 3 weeks before I had to go back to Iraq for a 15 month tour that time…..

That Halo 2 and Halo 3 midnight launch was outta this fucking world, what a time to be alive.
Never again will that happen in my lifetime… sighhhh

Sorry for the long winded response.

MarkMe2525

We only have one instance but we also have plenty of devs complaining about the lack of RAM before the Series S even released and after.
Those same devs released their games day and date as other platforms, when applicable. Those scenarios are not equivalent. It just is as likely that the MS SDK is causing issues, that they found a major bug that they think will require a major rework, etc... As I stated, one can make a "valid" argument that the SS is the sole reason, but that argument would not be sound. We just don't have enough data to make that determination.

Last edited:

Three

What third party deals have happened when a game is announced for Playstation and then MS strike a deal to stop it coming out on that platform?

I am not saying that is whats happened here as we don't know, but if it is then its shady as fuck.
Tomb raider went up for preorder on PS4 then was removed after the xbox timed exclusivity announcement. The game had already been announced prior too without exclusivity. It's happened.

mckmas8808

Banned
Every single statement by Xbox has to have to some jab at Playstation…Its so goddamn pathetic.
No the issue is Series S, always has been and always will be.

Exactly! And rumors are MS might go with a Xbox Handheld and a super strong Xbox console ($800+) next gen. Can people see why this is a stupid move now?

CamHostage

This game was previously announced on all platforms, it's obvious this timed exclusivity deal was struck recently due to lack of PS exclusive games this year.

Games regularly get announced for platforms the game has yet to run one line of code on.

It's an announcement of intent. Production work changes things, especially for first-time developers (and a first-time dev working in China, which can further complicate access or contracts.) Mutiplatform isn't as intensive on managing each version's production as in previous gens, but still, consoles are not the easiest platforms to produce games on.

I think that this deal in particularly is about Sony and MS helping third party studios making their games console versions....

Sony has the China Hero Project after all:

China Hero Project is an incubation project, and only applies to the select number of games signed to it in inception. It's not a larger cash pool for giving money to any Chinese games. Sony could still perhaps have backed this game (it has had a lot of good clout to it for a long time,) but it wouldn't have been through this initiative.

(There's also not much proof in the promotions we have seen so far that Sony is supporting it, although their involvement may come in launch support or some marketing that has not kicked in yet. )

Last edited:

GHG

Because it’s not all about you? And not everyone owns a PC that can play high-end games?

Can’t tell if you’re asking a serious question here

And so what? More often than not the people who don't own a PC to play high end games also don't only own an Xbox.

I'll never understand this disproportionate level of whining and crying whenever a game looks like it will skip or be delayed on Xbox.

Most of the people doing the crying claim they also have access to other platforms, so what's the problem exactly? Because it's certainly not that they won't be able to play the games in question.

Last edited:
And so what? More often than not the people who don't own a PC to play high end games also don't only own an Xbox.

I'll never understand this disproportionate level of whining and crying whenever a game looks like it will skip or be delayed on Xbox.

Most of the people doing the crying claim they also have access to other platforms, so what's the problem exactly? Because it's certainly not that they won't be able to play the games in question.
Buuuuut not everyone does. That's precisely the point that you're missing. Just because things don't matter to you or don't personally impact you, doesn't mean they don't impact others. Not every thread is tailored specifically to your needs.

The game was scheduled to come to Xbox Series at launch, and now it's being delayed to an unknown date in the future. Not everyone owns a PS5 or a gaming PC.

Top Bottom