• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just found papers by door saying "go back." My family's muslim

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Splinter

Then let me spell it out for you.

You are implicitly suggesting that the culpable party is Korean, based on zero actual evidence.

So you think the handwriting resembles hangul? Therefore the person in question is probably Korean? Why? Because you believe Koreans to be incapable of drawing a curved line instead of straight one? Because you think approximating alphabetic characters is beyond the ability of someone whose first language is based upon a foreign script? Do you think that when Koreans draw pictures, the clouds, trees, and the stars resemble Korean characters?

To some degree, all of these assumptions are behind the "insight" that this handwriting looks like hangul. And yes, they are all racist, whether you want to admit it or not.
Noone is saying this. There's a difference between

"Korean writer" implies "writing resembles Korean script"

and

"Writing resembles Korean script" implies "Korean writer"

You are talking about the first (which is indeed racist), everyone else is talking about the second (which is "mostly" true)

Sorry to hear this op, hope this doesn't continue.

shira

OP take care.

I'm not an expert, but it looks like the handwriting of someone who rarely writes/reads English handwriting. You said you have Korean neighbors? Looks like someone who is use to writing like this...

Trying to write in cursive.

no

I'm sorry you and your family have to go through this.

One bad apple and a lot of idiots really messes things up for a bunch of good, law abiding people.

That's terrible OP.

Take it to the police and file a report. Just get it documented.

Write to your local newspaper as well.

*edit*

Nice job reporting it to the police. Hope you setup cameras and capture something

562 area.

Hey, I know that area. Pretty nice for the most part, got some rough patches to the west. I like it, though. Got friends there. Not super exciting, but some very comfy neighborhoods.

If it were me I might let this one slide while keeping an weary eye out for anyone giving me a dirty look, but a camera couldnt hurt.
A while back when I was having fears like this, I attached a cheap webcam to my computer and downloaded a motion sensor program that took still pictures ever few seconds while activated. Had it put them in a google drive folder so that even if the computer got stolen, the pictures would be retrievable online. Each day without incident I'd just delete the folder.
Low-budget solution.

Then let me spell it out for you.

You are implicitly suggesting that the culpable party is Korean, based on zero actual evidence.

So you think the handwriting resembles hangul? Therefore the person in question is probably Korean? Why? Because you believe Koreans to be incapable of drawing a curved line instead of straight one? Because you think approximating alphabetic characters is beyond the ability of someone whose first language is based upon a foreign script? Do you think that when Koreans draw pictures, the clouds, trees, and the stars resemble Korean characters?

To some degree, all of these assumptions are behind the "insight" that this handwriting looks like hangul. And yes, they are all racist, whether you want to admit it or not.

I never suggested that myself, I'm asking about your reaction to other peoples posts because it confused me how handwriting appearance is directly related to racism. I'm just trying to understand your reasoning.

Youve made a lot of assumptions. No one is suggesting that koreans are criminals. No one is suggesting that koreans cant write correctly. Nobody made any comments about korean intelligence. Most importantly, nobody is telling OP to report his korean neighbors to the police, and in my previous post I actively discouraged jumping to idiotic conclusions like that. (At least, I hope nobody here is saying any of that. I may have missed somebody)
They're accusing handwriting of superficially resembling korean tendencies. Wrong very possibly, but racist? I dont see it.

Personally I don't think the writing actually indicates anything of worth because a lot of people write in strange ways and there are too many variables. A funny looking G doesnt mean anything. I'd actually favor pinning it on a child based on appearance. But to jump down their throat like that seems like mixing issues to me.

Does thinking it looks like a child's writing make me an ageist?

Noone is saying this. There's a difference between

"Korean writer" implies "writing resembles Korean script"

and

"Writing resembles Korean script" implies "Korean writer"

You are talking about the first (which is indeed racist), everyone else is talking about the second (which is "mostly" true)

Sorry to hear this op, hope this doesn't continue.

That, too. His post makes a lot of assumptions. Not at all what people are saying.

labx

Banned
Went out for 10 minutes and came back and found a bunch of papers lying outside the door with "go back" written on them. I'm pretty fucking spooked right now. It's really weird because I'm in California in a very diverse city (my high school was like 80% asian), and my neighbours are Korean and Indian. Wondering if I should call the police, but I'm not sure what they would even do?

The writing isn't very threatening looking, but who knows. I just hope some mentally unstable kid isn't gonna come with a gun or something. Hopefully it's just a prank. :/

And man, this is such a buzzkil for a first thread. I always thought it would have been something cool.

Edit: Spoke with the police and reported the incident. Gonna get some cameras for the house. Thanks everyone!

1. The camera stuff are good measure.
2. It is okey to feel fear that is what those assholes want. But be better than them.
3. Be truthful to yourself and family. A family that stay together will never be defeated.
4. Don't vote for Drumpf
5. You are brave for standing.

Breads

Banned
No seriously people wonder why poc/ minorities like to stick to communities of like minded individuals.

This is a disgrace.

black_13

Banned
I know the shooter was muslim but what do these people who blame other muslims think? Like there you are living your life. What the hell have you done to deserve to get any blame for that shooting?

Breads

Banned
What breaks my heart is that people hate Muslims out of fear of terrorist acts perpetrated by extremists... and yet they are perfectly content with the fact that the number one and two on the murderer scoreboard in the US are Americans and Christians.

Not that I'm implying it means anything. I'm just stating this because it all in fact means nothing.

Gotta keep trans people out of their bathrooms and hate on Muslims though. That will keep us safe.

Mega

Banned
Found out who they are and put out a sign on their door that says 'Go back to Europe'. haha.

If he lives in a minority neighborhood and his neighbors are various types of Asian, what makes you think it had to be a white person? I have heard enough vile stuff from minorities about other minorities to know you can't jump to assumptions like these.

Shit like this is why I roll my eyes when people claim they're being silenced from talking about islamic extremism. Have they checked out the media lately?

If he lives in a minority neighborhood and his neighbors are various types of Asian, what makes you think it had to be a white person? I have heard enough vile stuff from minorities about other minorities to know you can't jump to assumptions like these.

Sad but true. I was stopped while walking my dog in my neighborhood by a Lebanese man who came to the U.S. 20-ish years earlier, and it turns out he wanted to rant to someone about those "lazy Mexican immigrants", immigration in general (it needs to stop, apparently, because it's "not done right any more"), and also to point out that Fox News is right, and note that Megyn Kelly is smart and attractive.

Totally surreal. I could easily imagine this man leaving a note like the one in the OP, only it would probably be to one of his hispanic neighbors.

Lemaitre

Banned
I'm not an expert, but it looks like the handwriting of someone who rarely writes/reads English handwriting. You said you have Korean neighbors? Looks like someone who is use to writing like this...

Trying to write in cursive.

Absolutely horrible regardless who did it. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this crap OP.

I live in socal with a large Korean community and this was the first thing that came to mind. Scary stuff. Good luck OP and stay safe!

As an asian, asians are pretty fucking racist mate. Hope they catch the bastards who did this. Fuck them.

Also seen that you've done the necessary steps to protect yourself. Good! Sorry to have this happen to you.

Ninja edit: Most likely an asian parent. Second generation handwriting looks a bit more natural.

Mega

Banned
It's not right to jump to the conclusion that it was specifically a Korean person, but the person who wrote the notes either has English as a second language or made a weirdly consistent effort to mimic someone who normally writes in a foreign alphabet. It's not just the weird g either. In at least two occasions, the person connected the b and the a (and the g and o) in a manner unlike ordinary cursive. The looping arm of the k is weird and not like a cursive k either. On three occasions, the b began as an acute-angled "L" or backwards check before the bowl was added, like the person isn't used to writing b shapes in one stroke.

This all seems like someone with native alphabet habits struggling a bit to write in English. The g with the loop underneath and the boxy c look like existing Asian characters. There are also hard pencil dots on random spots, inconsistent gaps and letter placement going up and down from one letter to the next. This is probably someone taking pauses to think about how to write the next letter, pencil pressed to the paper before continuing. A person writing nonstop on blank paper tends to write words on a continuous slant (if not a straight line).

I think the quick, deliberate lines (once the person commits on how to write each character) rule out a child's random sloppy writing.

barik

Really sorry that happened to you OP. There are just evil, awful people out there, but please don't let this get you down.

The really weird way in which it's written makes me think it was written by someone for whom English is a second language.

Or by a complete fucking idiot. I personally don't associate being a racist with having great writing skills or penmanship, or any other positive skills and attributes.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Really sorry that happened to you OP. There are just evil, awful people out there, but please don't let this get you down.

Or by a complete fucking idiot. I personally don't associate being a racist with having great writing skills or penmanship, or any other positive skills and attributes.

There are plenty of smart racists. Why would you think otherwise?

Walpurgis

Banned
This is one of my worst fears. Luckily, I haven't heard of anything like this ever happening in my province. OP, you need to be on guard and ready. If you have female family members that wear a hijab, they are at the greatest risk of being randomly attacked. You may want to consider arming them with pepper spray and having a man accompanying them when possible (just the way the Taliban like it! lol). These cowardly attackers are infamous for their attacks on defenseless pregnant women and such in public places. The presence of a man might make them think twice. For this reason, I plan to accompany my mother when she goes shopping this week. She's more capable than I at verbally tearing racists down but I don't think she would do as well if things got physical.

If you are middle eastern or south Asian, you are also under threat of being assaulted on the street so be careful.

GYODX

I think some people are more comfortable assuming it was a racist white person.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I think some people are more comfortable assuming it was a racist white person.

I don't know why anyone would be that naive. That doesn't solve anything and it's pretty baseless to assume it's the case without evidence. Nothing is going to be solved pointing fingers like that.

The really weird way in which it's written makes me think it was written by someone for whom English is a second language.

How do you figure? As someone with plenty of family members who don't speak English natively, and as someone who taught English as a second language, that doesn't make any sense at all to me. If you're a non-native speaker it affects your spelling, your grammar usage, and your word choice, not your penmanship. What a weird and reductive sentiment.

Tubobutts

How do you figure? As someone with plenty of family members who don't speak English natively, and as someone who taught English as a second language, that doesn't make any sense at all to me. If you're a non-native speaker it affects your spelling, your grammar usage, and your word choice, not your penmanship. What a weird and reductive sentiment.
My Dad learned to write in English as an adult coming from a language that doesn't use the Latin alphabet and some of his letters look weird. It's not a strange assumption.

My Dad learned to write in English as an adult coming from a language that doesn't use the Latin alphabet and some of his letters look weird. It's not a strange assumption.

And I knew a guy in high school that used a horrible grip on his pencil that also made his letters look "weird." Handwriting is incredibly unique and individual. Professional experts analyze it. To look at two words (even written multiple times) and think it's weird! a furrigner musta done it! is just very wrongheaded to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom