• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami seeking new main staff members for development of new Metal Gear series

Well the news just got out unexpectedly after the box arts were discovered.

Then GameSpot inquired and word got out.

For all we know the team knew this for a while.
Sure but, like I said, it couldn't have been more than a few days or weeks because very recently they were just revealing the final box art and limited editions and they all had A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME.

Whatever happened it was very very unexpected and extremely recent. Of course the team knew about this before us but it couldn't have been too much.

aerts1js

I mean the ones Konami make. I know it's unlikely to get great MGS games from them in the way Kojima made them, but maybe we get 1 or 2 competent iterations. I'm trying to be supportive here. ;)

So you're okay with this sort of business practice?

I mean the ones Konami make. I know it's unlikely to get great MGS games from them in the way Kojima made them, but maybe we get 1 or 2 competent iterations. I'm trying to be supportive here. ;)

Haha I know man. But I'm not going to support a company that spits on their most important employee's artistic legacy. Competent games or not, they will be shallow imitations born from scorched earth.

Saven

Banned
Just feels like the Itagaki/Tecmo/Ninja Gaiden situation all over again. And I have not bought a Ninja Gaiden game since. I can totally see myself similarly not buying non Kojipro MGS games because of a lack of interest.

This is what I am reminded of as well. This will probably be my last MGS game too after the way Konami has handled all of this.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I was pissed off about that too.
But in the news source, Konami says the reason behind it was that they changed the production process and stopped doing in-house studios type of thing, so Kojima Production also disbanded. duckroll has perfectly translated that part.
There's no reason it can't be 'A Hideo Kojima Game', even if it's officially developed by Konami and not Kojima Productions. Like, you know, Metal Gear Solid 2.

I wouldn't mind a game with the gameplay elements of the original Metal Gears but connect it in no way to Kojima's canon. I don't want Snake. I don't want Patriots. Don't even give me callbacks.

Ironic enough, if that's what you want you are more likely to get it from Hideo Kojima in the future more than you would from Konami. A Konami future MGS6 would almost certainly contain as many callbacks as possible in order to give the false impression that it has anything in common with MGS5.

If you want a game in the style of MGS but in a whole new universe, Kojima himself is the one most likely to deliver it. He won't own any of the rights to the MGS story so he can't do callbacks even if he wanted to.

GunBR

What if the next metal gear game is just a full remake of MGS1.

A remake looks like the logical next step
But a full remake of MG 1 and 2 would be better

And pls Konami, make remakes, make spinoffs, but don't make a real MGS 6 without Kojima.

FuturusX

So put his name back on the box you hacks

I wonder if there is some deeper explanation to the removal of his name from the marketing / promotion of the game (and earlier games). Perhaps in shutting down his team it was Kojima himself that requested they halt the use of his name...that this is all some legal mitigation to prevent Konami using his name to market and profit from his name in any gaming product he developed. Just speculation. I just can't see why you would want to leave money on the table and not use his name in marketing at all. This smells like a contractual legal issue rather than pure acrimony.

daveo42

Banned
Whoever they get, it'll fail to live up to Kojima's work on the series. Maybe they can get Platinum back for another MGR. Not even sure who could take the helm of a new mainline MGS title or even the start of a new MG franchise.

While it does make Konami a ton of money every few years, maybe it is finally time to let Snake and the boss get some rest.

Edit: MG1 and 2 remakes are their only option at this point for an in-house game.

Xpliskin

I'm imagining a dungeon with the team shackled way underground unable to speak
Lmao

The game is on track, that isn't the problem. The fact that they are avoiding the elephant in the room is just further confirmation.

This. 100% damage control.

Sure but, like I said, it couldn't have been more than a few days or weeks because very recently they were just revealing the final box art and limited editions and they all had A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME.

Whatever happened it was very very unexpected and extremely recent. Of course the team knew about this before us but it couldn't have been too much.

You're absolutely right .

Why would they show final box art with his name on it only to remove it a week later.

Damn, shit truly happened.

I wonder if there is some deeper explanation to the removal of his name from the marketing / promotion of the game (and earlier games). Perhaps in shutting down his team it was Kojima himself that requested they halt the use of his name...that this is all some legal mitigation to prevent Konami using his name to market any product. Just speculation. I just can't see why you would want to leave money on the table and not use his name in marketing at all. This smells like a contractual legal issue rather than pure acrimony.

The way I see it: Kojima didn't want to make more Metal Gear games, so Konami fired him and are making a new team. With Kojima gone they want to get rid of his name from the branding of the series to promote sales for the shambling corpse that the series will become without him. That way MGS V will look no different to the average consumer than MGS 10: Electric Boogaloo.

kevin1025

Banned
I wonder if there is some deeper explanation to the removal of his name from the marketing / promotion of the game (and earlier games). Perhaps in shutting down his team it was Kojima himself that requested they halt the use of his name...that this is all some legal mitigation to prevent Konami using his name to market any product. Just speculation. I just can't see why you would want to leave money on the table and not use his name in marketing at all. This smells like a contractual legal issue rather than pure acrimony.

You're probably right. I read it as he maybe felt his vision was compromised and so he asked for his name to be taken off and Konami were more than happy to do it.

The way I see it: Kojima didn't want to make more Metal Gear games, so Konami fired him and are making a new team. With Kojima gone they want to get rid of his name from the branding of the series to promote sales for the shambling corpse that the series will become without him. That way MGS V will look no different to the average consumer than MGS 10: Electric Boogaloo.

That makes sense, too. Start making Metal Gear a Konami property, not a Kojima property.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
To summarise the important parts, Kojima is still working at Konami.
Konami also denied he was changed to a contract employee.

Also, the reason behind the logo and "Hideo Kojima Game" being erased was because of the restructuring.

And about the audition and new recruitment,
they're saying they've been recruiting people in the past and nothing has changed

BTW, Tokyo Sports, the news source is a reliable source. Everyone in Japan knowns this news paper.
http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/entame/anime/379801/

Nice work. Thanks!

Could this still be PR flavoured damage control? It seems odd that TS have this but neither Kojima nor Konami have done any kind of official press release that directly addresses the rumours.

Ricky_R

Haha I know man. But I'm not going to support a company that spits on their most important employee's artistic legacy. Competent games or not, they will be shallow imitations born from scorched earth.

You're right, but maybe his love for the universe is such that he might give in when the pain is gone. If that happens, hopefully there's a good MGS game for him to enjoy.

Or, maybe he can take a dump in the middle of Konami's lobby and never look back. Hopefully Kojima finds a new home that gives him full control over any project he decides to work on, or he builds a stable/solid studio of his own that produces great games for all to enjoy.

;)

Except that doesn't make sense.

Multiple MGS games have started development without Kojima at helm. It's just that he comes back to lead it everytime. And there's actually one game that shipped without Kojima, which is Portable Ops.

And his release-date interview also very clearly states that there will likely be more MG-games, that he didn't even say he won't be a part of. All he said was that it was the last SOLID game, aka the closure for the Big Boss/Solid Snake saga.

Your rationale only makes sense is if Konami cut off all funding to non-Metal Gear projects, effectively shutting down Kojima from developing non-Metal Gear games.

strafer

2015-03-2015_07_29-me4gs44.png

Yes thank you, tell us something we dont know.

Don't try and kick this under the rug.

you guys fucked up

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
You're probably right. I read it as he maybe felt his vision was compromised and so he asked for his name to be taken off and Konami were more than happy to do it.
It's such a shame they retroactively compromised his vision for games that have already been released.

That makes sense, too. Start making Metal Gear a Konami property, not a Kojima property.

That's way too optimistic. If Kojima had any say in the matter, he would also have a say in making an official statement concerning all this. He is blocked from saying anything because he no longer call the shots in any way.

GunBR

I wonder if there is some deeper explanation to the removal of his name from the marketing / promotion of the game (and earlier games). Perhaps in shutting down his team it was Kojima himself that requested they halt the use of his name...that this is all some legal mitigation to prevent Konami using his name to market and profit from his name in any gaming product he developed. Just speculation. I just can't see why you would want to leave money on the table and not use his name in marketing at all. This smells like a contractual legal issue rather than pure acrimony.

It's a good theory
But maybe they only want to people stop associating the series with Kojima, because they will make new games without him

Last MGS game for me I have no interest if kojima isn't involved and true fans won't support any BS done by konami. Kojima you're free to do whatever you want now! Extremely excited to see what's next. I'm sure TPP will be the best in the series #AHideoKojimaGame

synce

I think this is for the best. Kojima can make something new now. But it sucks we won't see Kojima's take on Silent Hill

Haunted

This is very similar to what happened to Ueda in 2011. It's pretty crazy that we've got two high-profile Japanese developers that have been kicked out by their parent company yet are obligated to finish the project on a contractual basis.

I see no MGS games here
Don't worry, there'll be enough people buying and playing them to tell you how the stories of Solid Snake and Big Boss continue!

Why is Xbox left out
I forgot/don't care about them.

Call me Japan.

there are already mobile and pachinko stuff
Well, they certainly won't stop making them now!

Except that doesn't make sense.

Multiple MGS games have started development without Kojima at helm. It's just that he comes back to lead it everytime. And there's actually one game that shipped without Kojima, which is Portable Ops.

And his release-date interview also very clearly states that there will likely be more MG-games, that he didn't even say he won't be a part of. All he said was that it was the last SOLID game, aka the closure for the Big Boss/Solid Snake saga.

Your rationale only makes sense is if Konami cut off all funding to non-Metal Gear projects, effectively shutting down Kojima from developing non-Metal Gear games.

Then maybe because they had a bad split Konami doesn't want the name of an ex employee plastered all over their flagship series anymore.

kevin1025

Banned
It's such a shame they retroactively compromised his vision for games that have already been released.

I meant for Phantom Pain, the Ground Zeroes name removal is weird. Next we're going to start hearing they're patching Ground Zeroes and the HD collections to remove his name or something (exaggeration, but it is excessive to remove the creative lead's name from the marketing when his name and involvement was a big draw to some).

FuturusX

I am not so sure. Kojima is potent branding. The logical thing would be to keep his name on the existing products, including the one you are about to release, if you legally could, and it didn't cost anything or much to do so.

My feeling is there was a legal ambiguity about the use of his name and Konami are attempting to cover themselves after his effective firing and the restructuring of his team. Or they have been instructed or advised to do so under threat of litigation.

In terms of marketing - It's possible to have a clean break for the new series without Kojima and still profit handsomely from his prior work. This would the most logical course of action.

Smells to me that they have no ongoing legal right to use his name to promote their products. Not trying to defend Konami - just trying to decipher a rather baffling business decision.

Jashobeam

I love the gameplay, world and characters of Metal Gear way too much so I'd still be down for a new MGS even without Kojima. I hope they continue the lore after MGS4 though with an all new cast. Just throw in the references to the past game and maybe have a few cameos.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Well that seems to be the case.

I think Konami are trying to divorce Metal Gear from Kojima's 'brand' so the series doesn't feel devalued to the average consumer after he leaves. Obviously it's very short sighted.

Haunted

Maybe.

But it's all speculation.

Maybe Kojima didn't want to make Metal Gear Solid games anymore.

Maybe Kojima wanted to go independent.

Maybe Kojima wanted a raise for himself and every Kojipro employee.

Maybe Kojima punched his producer because there was no catering organised.

Maybe Kojima slept with Sakamoto's (Konami CEO) wife.

Maybe.

Some publisher just must buy the silent hill ip, contact kojima and Del toro to finish the game

I fear that konami will shut down the project

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I am not so sure. Kojima is potent branding.
That they are about to lose forever.
The logical thing would be to keep his name on the existing products, including the one you are about to release, if you legally could, and it didn't cost anything or much to do so.
Perhaps Konami are more worried about the long term future of the franchise. Yes, it would be better to have Kojima's name on the box, but that will only make it more conspicuously absent on the next instalment, and the next, and the next...

To whomever suggested another MGS1 remake: don't. If they want to do an HD remaster for the game then sure, I'll take higher resolutions and smoother framerate. But we don't need any more remakes of that game. the first one was enough of a turd for me to be certain of this.

Macrotus

There's no reason it can't be 'A Hideo Kojima Game', even if it's officially developed by Konami and not Kojima Productions. Like, you know, Metal Gear Solid 2.

Yeah, even if they are restructuring and future MGS games may not have "A Hideo Kojima Game" in it, they should have at least left MGS5 and previous series as a "Hideo Kojima Game".

But honestly, I don't understand them doing it for future games as well.
I can understand if labelling it as "A Hideo Kojima Game" had negative affect on their products,
but It only has positive affects on the game.
Like, when P.T/Silent Hill was announced and everyone saw that Kojima was making a Silent Hill game with Del Toro, it built up a huge hype.
It wouldn't have been that big if it were just Konami announcing that they're making a new Silent Hill game.

And this is how metal gear series comes to a close my friends. Enjoy MGS V because it is the last time you are going to play a good MGS game.

Top Bottom