• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yep.

Been playing LiS again using Remote Play and getting all the photos. Some of these are really obscure, not sure how it's even possible to do some of them without a guide.
It's not that complex if you leave the ones you miss for after you beat the episodes. You can replay scenes separately by location and there's a marker below each one showing if there's one or more photos in that section, which also shows if you already got them or not. The search gets narrowed down and it's just a matter of following the hints in the journal.

CD008F427E0993FF7ABC74DBE061EAF48FCF9EE9

69FD0835D7514855135C34F4E57D5A6506D86077

This has been puzzling me since the game came out last year. But now playing it again on PS4 (via Remote Play on Vita), I've remembered it again.

In episode one and you go into Victoria's room to collect evidence for Juliet that Victoria has been taking the piss out of her with her BF and you mess around her selfies to form... something.

I'm just wondering, what is that meant to be?

NullMoon

Neo Member
This has been puzzling me since the game came out last year. But now playing it again on PS4 (via Remote Play on Vita), I've remembered it again.

In episode one and you go into Victoria's room to collect evidence for Juliet that Victoria has been taking the piss out of her with her BF and you mess around her selfies to form... something.

I'm just wondering, what is that meant to be?
Middle Finger. Basically a Fuck You to her.

Two episodes in. I'm really enjoying the mood and some of the characters, but there's an awkwardness to some of the conversations that bother me more in this than in say Telltale titles. Maybe because it's in a setting I can relate to in reality, and following Max around with the power to do what she can, it feels like she could find the perfect things to say. Yet she doesn't. Maybe it's an issue once you introduce this mechanic but don't allow you to fully utilize it in conversations.

RDreamer

Just picked this up today and played through the first episode. Didn't blow me away or anything, but it's very charming and I'm liking it. On to Episode 2!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Two episodes in. I'm really enjoying the mood and some of the characters, but there's an awkwardness to some of the conversations that bother me more in this than in say Telltale titles. Maybe because it's in a setting I can relate to in reality, and following Max around with the power to do what she can, it feels like she could find the perfect things to say. Yet she doesn't. Maybe it's an issue once you introduce this mechanic but don't allow you to fully utilize it in conversations.
I hope you're referring to cutscenes? Because one of the games main form of "puzzles" is rewinding time to replay conversations "perfectly".

Gurthang

Banned
Just picked this up today and played through the first episode. Didn't blow me away or anything, but it's very charming and I'm liking it. On to Episode 2!

You're in a treat. Episode 1 is not the best introduction to the game. Episode 3 and 4 are the best episodes by far.

Ragnaros

Banned
Totally different types of games but I would have enjoyed this even more if I didn't play Bioshock Infinite already.

I feel like B:I just did the whole multiple universes and time travel aspect better

I hope you're referring to cutscenes? Because one of the games main form of "puzzles" is rewinding time to replay conversations "perfectly".
No I understand that sometimes you can get special conversations by talking and rewinding.

I meant in shit like confrontations. Talking to character x and stammering in defiance which is one of two options. When she could theoretically go back and be more forward/decisive in how she says things. Might change the attitude of some situations.

I understand it's a game but if you could rewind time as often as you did throughout the game, why not find a great zinger/rebuttal.

I Just finished the game and I loved it from the characters and world building and music the game is so dense with stuff you can look at and read.

So I didn't really have any major gripes but episode 5 is very disappointing felt like filler.

Just finished episode 3.

Not gonna lie, that broke my heart. As far as writing goes, by far the best episode so far. Tomorrow I'll do episode 4, and then finale this weekend at some point. Probably Sunday.

malfcn

About half way through 4.

I forget why Nate had a picture of Chloe in his dorm.
But that's how the game started right, he drugged her up. Then we learned about Kate being drugged too? If so, shouldn't Chloe have been more sympathetic about her calling you for help.

Saw a pair at Ohayocon as Chloe and Max. :)

Finished episode 4.

Can't believe that the shit that is usually a red herring ended up being the actual thing lol. God dammit game, you got me. I can see why people say episodes 3 and 4 are the best ones because god damn, episode 4 was intense.

I'll finish episode 5 tomorrow then post final thoughts.

RDreamer

Just beat Episode 2 and still really liking the charm of this game. It's also a nice game to play with the fiancé watching/commenting on. She loves it so far too.

She was right there with me while I
saved Kate from jumping,
and breathed a big sigh of relief, too.

I feel I did a mistake in pushing this game after tales from the borderlands. Would've been smarter to play this, get depressed/emotional and then laugh my ass off with tales.

Apparently many LE orders in Europe are late, so they're asking everyone who pre-ordered the LE from the Square-Enix Store and didn't receive their order yet (or received it late) to fill out a form.

I can say I haven't received mine yet, so I hope they'll figure out what's happening.

Kaname

Finished it yesterday with both endings...holy shit the feels.
I knew that it was gonna deliver the second I heard the fist track of the OST and completely fell in love with it but damn, I totally wasn't ready for this :(

Voyevoda

Anyone listen to the soundtrack non-stop for a few days after clocking the game?

Spanish Sahara every fucking day, at least twice. And I feel like shit everytime I listen to it. Lua and Santa Monica Dream as well, once a day at least. The others, not as often, but quite a bit still.

Something Good is my alarm tone.

Episode 5 and Series Thoughts

Funny enough it wouldn't bother me as much if it wasn't for the whole
nightmare sequence
aspect at the end. I mean yeah the episode had more issues but not anymore that the game's reliance of
chaos theory to make the tornado
. I feel that brought it down to an extremely cheesy moment of
Choose to be selfish or save the world.
Btw I chose
to save Chloe. Yes, it's selfish and personally I would have chosen to save Arcadia Bay, but Max did all of this for her. I wanted to allow her one time to be selfish

So yeah the culmination could've been done better, but instead of being a 'hot mess' as some have said, it could have been better by trimming the fat. As some of it had nothing to do with established ideas of time travel in fiction.

Which isn't fair sure, as time travel isn't a thing so theoretically you could do with it as you wanted, but the game could've stuck with
butterfly effect and ignore the whole end of the world
scenario and been more effective imho. Time travel isn't a fun science fiction type of show to do because there are always holes to poke.

What the episode did great though is show me some extremely powerful scenes with
David and Frank
which are now pretty high up in my character rankings.

Over-all. Episode 5 was probably the weakest as a whole, but it had some fantastic moments. Probably higher than shit in episode 1 and 2. But those episodes were more consistent. Final rating is Ep 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5.

The game in itself was very enjoyable. The puzzles had more substance than Telltale games, which are really the only other 'modern adventure' games we have out there. The VA work of some of the characters (Max, Chloe, Frank, David) was amazing. The dialogue and emotion throughout the whole game really was fantastic.

Over-all I'd give Life is Strange an 8.5/10. The biggest change I hope to see from the developers in the future? Outside dialing back down the over-all plot to something less fantastical, would be to definitely work on the character models/engine. Imagine if we would've had this VA and emotional scenes with better character models like say Until Dawn? Would've been so much more powerful to see the acting there.

Skii

I finally collected all the pictures. It was fairly easy when you know which areas you're supposed to take them in.

I think I'm finally getting over the ending now. It actually devastated me for a few days and even when I think about it, it actually hurts.
Yes, I chose to save Arcadia Bay. I'm not a monster!

My only big problem as a whole is the other ending the game has.
Max saving Chloe absolutely does not have the same emotional impact as saving Arcadia Bay. It's one of the most lazy endings I've ever seen. How can one ending be so emotionally charged whilst the other is almost completely devoid of emotion? It's so simple as well. You just had to show the consequences of that ending like they did with saving Arcadia Bay. If you show the likes of Kate, Joyce, David, Warren etc. dying and the emotional response by Max and Chloe, it becomes a much better and fulfilling ending. It's almost a cop out for anyone that chooses it because you don't emotionally connect with the consequences. Very disappointed.

I finally collected all the pictures. It was fairly easy when you know which areas you're supposed to take them in.

I think I'm finally getting over the ending now. It actually devastated me for a few days and even when I think about it, it actually hurts.
Yes, I chose to save Arcadia Bay. I'm not a monster!

My only big problem as a whole is the other ending the game has.
Max saving Chloe absolutely does not have the same emotional impact as saving Arcadia Bay. It's one of the most lazy endings I've ever seen. How can one ending be so emotionally charged whilst the other is almost completely devoid of emotion? It's so simple as well. You just had to show the consequences of that ending like they did with saving Arcadia Bay. If you show the likes of Kate, Joyce, David, Warren etc. dying and the emotional response by Max and Chloe, it becomes a much better and fulfilling ending. It's almost a cop out for anyone that chooses it because you don't emotionally connect with the consequences. Very disappointed.

That aspect bothered me because all of a sudden they were cool with
everyone they knew dying. Outside of hugging there should have been more

budget and time

Regarding what?

The shorter ending.

Ah. Well I guess I can't blame them in that regard. I had a bigger issue with the ending and over-all consequences.
would have preferred the tornado to have been an inevitable freak natural disaster coming and her having no power over it
. But once we get into that argument of what you would have done differently, it goes nowhere.

Steamlord

Regarding the game's aesthetic, the only aspects I think could use some work are the shitty lipsync, the mocap, and the plastic hair. I actually really like how the textures and everything look kinda painty, it's a cool look that fits the game really well.

But I definitely don't see LIS benefiting from Until Dawn celebrity-insert levels of uncanny valley "realism." Its semi-cartoonish look really sets it apart and gives it its own magical realist feel.

Didn't a recent patch improve the lipsynch? I was under the impression it did.

More time and budget would do wonders for the formula, though. Really hope LiS' success has proven that DONTNOD deserves it.
Ah. Well I guess I can't blame them in that regard. I had a bigger issue with the ending and over-all consequences.
would have preferred the tornado to have been an inevitable freak natural disaster coming and her having no power over it
. But once we get into that argument of what you would have done differently, it goes nowhere.

Well...
Keep in mind that the disaster is the impetus for Max's entire journey. The very first thing that happens, even before (or maybe at the same time as) she gains her powers, is a vision of the tornado-y future, which leads her to the lighthouse time and again... not to mention the bathroom where it all begins.
Don't know that it could work any other way.

I understand the complaints about the ending.

But for me,
save chloe was never going to be an option, so I wasn't particularly bothered by the fact that that ending was poor.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I noticed Max's lips didn't even move during one late scene in Episode 5 on PS4 lol. I didn't notice that on my PC playthrough.

Yep exactly this, I found it funny and ruined the moment. It's when
she's talking to Warren in the diner

I was like "HOLY SHIT I HAVE MIND POWERS TOO"
I got that on PC too, bad moment for that to happen since she's pretty emotional during those lines lol. I even quit the game and replayed from the last checkpoint thinking it wasn't a constant glitch, but then it happened again.

16BitNova

I have the digital download on PS4 but, am thinking of getting the physical copy on Xbox One. Mainly because I can then delete it on PS4 and since Xbox One has unlimited HDD space cause of external hard drives. Anyone here got any impressions on performance for Xbox One? Is it pretty much the same as PS4?

I picked up the LE physical edition for PS4 and just finished it last night. I think the ending scene of episode 2 was the best ending in all the episodes. The ending dialog combined with the music playing was perfect. Episode 4 I thought was the weakest. I didn't care for the detective board stuff. My biggest complaint with the game was that sometimes the dialog choices didn't give you enough info on what Max was going to say. I had a few instances where I didn't want Max to say what she did, but the talking choice option wasn't clear enough. I also did like the ending. It was a bummer, and it left me thinking about it for a while after finishing it. Overall, I'm glad I played through the game.

Top Bottom