• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

leng jai

jigy1Zt.jpg

Pleasantly surprised that they gave us a proper case for the OST. Most games these days only give you a download card or a flimsy cardboard sleeve. You also get a proper case and disc for the actual game which is nice and not clear from the promo pictures. Overall a nice little package, even if the art book is bad.

My LE arrived today :) I was a bit worried because I only got the shipping email this morning. I kind of don't want to open it because I think the box is gorgeous.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Do we know if the game has sold well so far? Would like them to make another one like this.

NeoRaider

Do we know if the game has sold well so far? Would like them to make another one like this.

More than 1 million copies sold on Steam alone. For new IP and this genre it is great imo.
Also many ppl were waiting for physical version of the game to buy it.

Turnstyle

The press copies for the physical release came with a card that when opened, played a video of the trailer on a built-in screen. It's pretty neat.

I'll upload a video at some point if people are interested.

(Also, the game is great, obviously)

Symphonia

Banned
Just ordered my LiS LE off Amazon for £24. Not a shabby price for such a great game. Plus I'm a sucker for artbooks and OST CDs. That, and DONTNOD deserve every penny. LiS is a masterpiece.

Reedirect

The art book is kinda meh, but the one artwork where Max (apparently straight out of a hospital) rewinds the bus crash/explosion makes me sad, since that could've been an awesome sequence. Reminds me of Chronicle.

GavinUK86

Oh yeah, I glossed over that bit. It looks like that might've been turned into the
town after the storm where you could help hurt people except originally Max was supposed to be hurt too

leng jai

Wow some of the dialog in this game is cringeworthy at times. Like really bad. I haven't read much talk about the sound design but the audio is this is fantastic. The opening scene one sounds absolutely thunderous.

Did the retail copy ship with the latest version already? i didn't get any patches and my version says 1.00.

Azlan

Just finished the game. Really enjoyed it. Definitely one of my top games of 2015. Honestly I am just a bit depressed it is over. Really hope they make a sequel with Max and Chloe in it. If I didn't have all of the digital episodes I would be all over that collectors edition, and I usually don't care about that kind of thing.

xptoxyz

Is the director's commentary in the game?

And is this only going to be in the LE copy? I liked the game, but don't have an extra $40 right now to drop on it. The CD and book look cool though.

Commentary was patched into the game. It's a set of 10 short videos viewable from the main menu.

I wish I had more of this game to play.

I will take DLC where you play through the original story as Alyssa.

Frank DLC would be great, it'd be cool to explore that softer side of him alongside Rachel for a bit, we could see what all the fuss is about with her too.

Frank, Rachel, Pompedeu and beans.

GOTY 2016.

Finished this game early yesterday morning. Loved it. Considering giving it a quick replay and then maybe deleting it from my ever diminishing 500gb PS4 hard drive until I want it again.

I didn't even know the LE was coming out till after I finished it, but it came out the other day in Australia and is pretty reasonably priced ($44 AUD which is just over $30 USD right now...). I might buy a couple of copies and give one to my brother and one to a friend who might enjoy it but probably wouldn't otherwise play it or even necessarily know about it.

Story wise, it was around three quarters through episode 3 when I decided that it was one of the best stories I'd played through in gaming, along with Silent Hill 2, TLOU, TWD S1, Bioshock and a couple of others.

I liked it even from the first moments in Episode 1, but I felt like it got better as it went on. I loved the final episode including parts that it seems like a lot of people were divided over, though admittedly I enjoyed those parts
(such as the nightmare/maze section)
not so much from a gameplay standpoint as much as an artistic/creative one.

Maybe a weird idea but some of the darker moments (and most of episode 5 in general) lead me to wonder how DONTNOD would handle making a Silent Hill game, or at least the story aspect of it. I also felt like they could make an interesting story set in the Bioshock universe, though I don't know how they would fare with the other gameplay elements.

Was happy to hear that Life Is Strange 2 is already confirmed by a developer, and will almost definitely feature all new characters which I think is definitely the right decision, it'd be pointless to try and continue this story imo. I'm guessing you'll probably play as a male character this time around, would be kind of weird to play as a teenage girl again.

So glad I decided to check this out after reading about it on here about a month ago.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This game makes me want to get a Hobonichi Techo (or a bootleg alternative).

Just beat it. I've been playing one episode per weekend but I went through episodes 4 and 5 today. Really enjoyed the whole thing for many reasons. Might make a longer post after I collect my thoughts.

Symphonia

Banned
I'm going to start a Let's Play of this on YouTube, with a full episode for each video. Each episode is about an hour and a half, if I remember right. I would split it up in to smaller chunks but, to be honest, it's a lot of unnecessary hassle and work. Would anyone watch the Let's Play if I were to do it? Or maybe a live stream and the people watching influence the choices made?

I just completed Episode 4 and this is my first play through. The topic matter is so heavy and sad, but I am so glad that it is at least being addressed in such a real way that brings to light the heinous villainy of such an act.

leng jai

Just finished the game. Wasn't my GOTY by any means but still a highly enjoyable game, and by far the most well executed of its kind. Honestly if it wasn't for the game's reception I probably would have shelved it after the first episode. The script has to be one of the worst ever for a dialogue heavy game, it was hella atrocious. Episode 5 was definitely my least favourite from a "gameplay" perspective.

Life Is Strange definitely knocks it out of the park when it comes to making you feel something, and a large part of that has to do with sublime soundtrack. I'm definitely glad that I waited for the physical release and got a hard copy of the album, it's superb. Even those serene moments where you're just sitting on a park bench really worked. The sound design in general was fantastic and you could within the first 2 minutes of the first episode.

I'm a little bit disappointed with the PS4 version, it didn't run that well on what presumably isn't a taxing game at all. Felt like there was a bit of stuttering, and you could easily see the screen tearing. Still, it's much better than the TellTale rubbish.

Just finished the game. Wasn't my GOTY by any means but still a highly enjoyable game, and by far the most well executed of its kind. Honestly if it wasn't for the game's reception I probably would have shelved it after the first episode. The script has to be one of the worst ever for a dialogue heavy game, it was hella atrocious. Episode 5 was definitely my least favourite from a "gameplay" perspective.

Life Is Strange definitely knocks it out of the park when it comes to making you feel something, and a large part of that has to do with sublime soundtrack. I'm definitely glad that I waited for the physical release and got a hard copy of the album, it's superb. Even those serene moments where you're just sitting on a park bench really worked. The sound design in general was fantastic and you could within the first 2 minutes of the first episode.

I'm a little bit disappointed with the PS4 version, it didn't run that well on what presumably isn't a taxing game at all. Felt like there was a bit of stuttering, and you could easily see the screen tearing. Still, it's much better than the TellTale rubbish.

Play Tales from the Borderlands.

Play Tales from the Borderlands.
I played Tales and finished it last week. I do consider it TT's best game (that I've played), but Life is Strange is an entirely different category. Like the poster above said, LIS absolutely tugs at the feels. And all the decisions in Life feel like they have real weight to them and the truly affect the game moving forward. I've yet to see that in a TT game, which are normally very linear with decisions doing little to steer the story.

I played Tales and finished it last week. I do consider it TT's best game (that I've played), but Life is Strange is an entirely different category. Like the poster above said, LIS absolutely tugs at the feels. And all the decisions in Life feel like they have real weight to them and the truly affect the game moving forward. I've yet to see that in a TT game, which are normally very linear with decisions doing little to steer the story.

Yup. Played LiS and TftBL back to back and while I had more "fun" playing Tales from the Borderlands, it's just ostensibly a really well written season of genre TV whereas playing LiS is really really devastating.

I just wanted to contend with the idea that TT games are rubbish. They're not. as evidenced by how great TftBL is.

Yup. Played LiS and TftBL back to back and while I had more "fun" playing Tales from the Borderlands, it's just ostensibly a really well written season of genre TV whereas playing LiS is really really devastating.

I just wanted to contend with the idea that TT games are rubbish. They're not. as evidenced by how great TftBL is.
I think the "rubbish" dig was at the technical side of TT games.

LegendX48

Funnily enough, Tales runs so much better on the PS4 than LiS. ;__;

Not entirely true, while I was disappointed to see that the PS4 version of LiS runs at 30fps, the frame rate doesn't drop into the sub 30 area from what I've seen whereas Tales from the borderlands dips below 60 quite a bit iirc.

Ghazi

I just finished Episode 3, decided to stay up all night to finish the last two. The feels at that ending, holy shit I'm a scumbag.

Top Bottom