• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

emb

I don't expect to change anyone's mind, but...

A sealed game is simply a piece of plastic in a shelf.

It may have a game you might like, it may have a full color manual.

You will never see it or know it if you don't break a completely arbitrary wrapping of plastic and actually open it.
Unless the disc is loose. Finally, we know the reason for it. :eek: j/k

I'm with you though. I don't find much appeal in a sealed collection, unless you're looking at it as an investment. Even then, it can take long enough to pay off, surely there are better ways to invest money. It can be neat to have some sealed stuff around, and I can see why people might want to go for it, but to me a lot the appeal of collecting games is to build a library of things I can play.

I would always think the same thing about seeing older games on eBay still sealed. If for some reason I were to buy this, would I really know if there was a game in there? Nah. And if I never planned to open it or sell it, would it really matter? Also no. When buying brand new, like from LRG, it's probably a safe enough assumption that the cart/disc is in there though.

With the modern game situation, it could make sense. Digital versions of a lot of these games can be pretty cheap on sale, so there are cost effective options for people that want to keep a sealed copy and still play.

I actually thought about this once

What if that sealed copy for some weird and very unlikely reason doesn't actually contain a game and is just empty? It's still worth the same as long as no one opens it

Collecting is weird. I do it myself, but it's definitely weird.

I'm with you though. I don't find much appeal in a sealed collection, unless you're looking at it as an investment. Even then, it can take long enough to pay off, surely there are better ways to invest money.
Doesn't have to be an investment, although in the case of LRG it's not a bad one.
We all get enjoyment from simply owning something, whatever it is. Humans ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back in the day there were plenty people who bought two copies of games, one to play and one to keep sealed. Now THAT is weird.
With digital I find it much less so.

Semoreh

I don't find much appeal in a sealed collection, unless you're looking at it as an investment. Even then, it can take long enough to pay off, surely there are better ways to invest money.

To be frank I can hardly see a better way to invest money than buying LRG games.
Buy a 25$ game + shipping one day, sell 100 less than a week after. Pretty impressive ROI :O

What if that sealed copy for some weird and very unlikely reason doesn't actually contain a game and is just empty? It's still worth the same as long as no one opens it

To me it's a big problem with old games. Games can actually be degraded inside their original package. Some simply "bit-rot" (I encourage you to check it out, it's scary). I couldn't collect sealed games cause I wouldn't trust them. But as long as nobody opens them, the bubble won't burst, so indeed it remains a solid investment.
Weird.

Ventara

OMG, I didn't even connect that it could mean Shantae. Both Pirate's Curse and Risky's Revenge are on PS4 (and not on Vita), right?

Semoreh

I picked up the PC version in a previous Humble Narrative Bundle and quite enjoyed it. Such a charming game. The Vita release is overhauled with voice acting so I'm excited to double dip (even though the upgrades are coming to PC as well, I'm happy to support a physical release).

Will check it out, thanks ! :D
I'm just a bit worried because I read in a few critics that the game often presents the player with false choices. But I'll see for myself ;)

OMG, I didn't even connect that it could mean Shantae. Both Pirate's Curse and Risky's Revenge are on PS4 (and not on Vita), right?
Shantae had also been hinted with a purple/yellow LRG logo once. Hope this is it *_*

Purple game is Shantae confirmed. There were hints about it before, I'm 99% sure now. I posted about it earlier but on mobile now so too lazy to find them
To me it's a big problem with old games. Games can actually be degraded inside their original package. Some simply "bit-rot" (I encourage you to check it out, it's scary). I couldn't collect sealed games cause I wouldn't trust them. But as long as nobody opens them, the bubble won't burst, so indeed it remains a solid investment.
Weird.
True, although so far I have never encountered a disc that has rotted away like that. Even old and heavily used PSOne discs still work like a charm

Jimm

Damn Soldiner X2 is fun. I didn't expect it to be so fluid. I'm glad they give you a health bar to compensate for the huge hit box. Though I really shouldn't play before bed I'm not at my best then haha.

It has it's own Trophy set right? Looks like 1.8% of people have the Platinum already

Tapejara

Damn Soldiner X2 is fun. I didn't expect it to be so fluid. I'm glad they give you a health bar to compensate for the huge hit box. Though I really shouldn't pay before bed I'm not at my best then haha.

It has it's own Trophy set right? Looks like 1.8% of people have the Platinum already

Yeah, the LRG release of Soldner has a separate trophy set. The digital PS3 and Vita versions don't have platinums.

Apparently EastAsiaSoft also made a separate trophy list for the LRG release of Rainbow Moon.

Galdius

You will never see it or know it if you don't break a completely arbitrary wrapping of plastic and actually open it.

I know but I like to keep some games sealed to open them when I know I will play them.
There is something nice from opening a sealed game that it not a recent game.
I haven't opened any LRG Vita release because I don't really want to play them but Soldner really seems like a cool game.

LogicGoat

Neo Member
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone ever found out how to fix the Japanese trophies issue with Octodad vita?

Thanks for your time. =)

Collecting is weird. I do it myself, but it's definitely weird.

Doesn't have to be an investment, although in the case of LRG it's not a bad one.
We all get enjoyment from simply owning something, whatever it is. Humans ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Back in the day there were plenty people who bought two copies of games, one to play and one to keep sealed. Now THAT is weird.
With digital I find it much less so.

Schrodinger's sealed game.

It really depends on the game. If I was thinking ahead,I would have done that for some Saturn games. I don't like handling the rar
e stuff

Geez, I just said I wish I could give you a hint and you all go off in wild directions

Wild you say?
wild-ps4-1016952_jpg_300x300_q85.jpg

Jking :p

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Something I've been tracking.

Vita had the most physical releases in NA in its release year of 2012 with 51 titles.
It hasn't ever reached that number in subsequent years but 2016 is the closest it's come so far with a total of 46 if all confirmed titles do make it out this year.

I'm hoping LRG has enough unannounced titles to make 2016 to break that record.
If you're curious about the breakdown, I'll post it below:

2016 Releases - 46 (35 released or w/ firm dates / 11 scheduled)
2015 Releases - 36
2014 Releases - 37
2013 Releases - 23
2012 Releases - 51

this is why I usually buy 2 copies of stuff absolutely want to collect. One to open and one to keep sealed.

Semoreh

True, although so far I have never encountered a disc that has rotted away like that. Even old and heavily used PSOne discs still work like a charm

This guy said it happened to him with old sealed Sega games.
http://www.rfgeneration.com/news/di...ote-to-Video-Game-Sellers-and-Buyers-1337.php
I tend to believe him, although I'd love to see a real scientific analysis of the bitrotting process.

The thing is, old games can be affected in a non-vital way (like a hole in a non-relevant part of the CD, or a discrete piece of data) so it's tempting to say it's nothing until it visibly messes with the game.

#bummertime

Vita had the most physical releases in NA in its release year of 2012 with 51 titles.
It hasn't ever reached that number in subsequent years but 2016 is the closest it's come so far with a total of 46 if all confirmed titles do make it out this year.

2015 Releases - 36
2014 Releases - 37
2013 Releases - 23
2012 Releases - 51

Yeah, LRG have really boosted the numbers huh?

In previous years there was a lot of European-physical-only stuff like WRC4 & Rugby 15 etc. I'm betting the year is down in that region.

Clive

Next year I fully expect at least 50% of the Vita retail releases in America to be from LRG. If things keep going well for LRG+Vita then maybe they can reach 75%+.

They might be the second largest Vita publisher in America after Sony when it comes to the number of retail games already when this year ends.

Next year I fully expect at least 50% of the Vita retail releases in America to be from LRG. If things keep going well for LRG+Vita then maybe they can reach 75%+.

They might be the second largest Vita publisher in America after Sony when it comes to the number of retail games already when this year ends.

I'm probably just being picky with this, but LRG aren't really publishing 'retail' games. They're physical releases, but not sold at retail, so I'd word it slightly differently :p

I'm interested to see how retail for Vita does in 2017. We've already got three confirmed games (Summon Nights 6; Tokyo Xanadu & Touhou Genso Wanderer). Aksys could really inflate the total if they release all their otome stuff at retail too.

Skulldead

I didn't pay any custom with only 2 games. You should continue to release 2 game at a time, this would remove a lot of frustration for most importer here in Canada.

I'm happy about the 2 next release, Dragon fantasy look really fun. Continue your good work.

Edit : actually just a idea but you could charge a little extra shipping and split package to prevent custom, give the choice or something..

2015 Releases - 36
2014 Releases - 37
2013 Releases - 23
2012 Releases - 51

Out of curiosity does this count just include through One Way Heroics? I can already count about 8 more we're hoping to have out by December - which means we'd break the record for the year.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Out of curiosity does this count just include through One Way Heroics? I can already count about 8 more we're hoping to have out by December - which means we'd break the record for the year.

I've included all LRG titles announced and "announced" that weren't explicit for 2017.
I realize some may not make it.

Cosmic Star Heroine - 2016
Cylinder - 2016
Dragon Fantasy: The Black Tome of Ice - 2016
Elephant in the Room - 2016
Fault Milestone One - 2016
Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics - 2016
Rabi-Ribi - 2016
Volume - 2016
Yiik: A Post-Modern RPG - 2016

Shizuka

Does that mean eight more announced or unannounced (or both) Vita titles you'll have released until the end of the year?

Does that mean eight more announced or unannounced (or both) Vita titles you'll have released until the end of the year?

A lot of the ones on the previous list probably won't realistically hit in 2016, so I think we're probably more in line with the count that you originally posted.

Spinoff90

After Sony? Are Sony even in the top 5 for published physical/retail Vita games?

I didn't pay any custom with only 2 games. You should continue to release 2 game at a time, this would remove a lot of frustration for most importer here in Canada.

I'm happy about the 2 next release, Dragon fantasy look really fun. Continue your good work.

Edit : actually just a idea but you could charge a little extra shipping and split package to prevent custom, give the choice or something..

Customs fees are very rare in Canada so adding a customs fee for Canada wouldn't make sense. The reason they added it for a few countries is because it was pretty much a sure thing to get hit with custom fees in those places. I have yet to hear of anybody in Canada getting hit by customs and doubt we ever will. The only time you really need to worry about that is when a courier is used like UPS because they add their own brokerage fees and garbage like that.

Now solving what is going on that is making Canadian orders so slow on the other hand would be nice. Can't blame customs for whatever happened to the last batch since it didn't get to customs for over a week. It seems they sat around in New York for over a week not moving at all which is odd.

Clive

After Sony? Are Sony even in the top 5 for published physical/retail Vita games?

Of course they are. I think people often underestimate just how much they released for the Vita. They dropped out early but they still released most of the best games specifically designed for the console.

Lazy Wikipedia copy-paste list:

Hot Shots Golf
Gravity Rush
LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
Little Deviants
MLB 12: The Show
ModNation Racers: Road Trip
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Reality Fighters
Resistance: Burning Skies
Smart As...
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Unit 13
Wipeout 2048
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (Mexico only)
Jak and Daxter Trilogy
Killzone: Mercenary
MLB 13: The Show
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Soul Sacrifice
Tearaway
The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season
Borderlands 2
Freedom Wars
God of War Collection
MLB 14: The Show
The Sly Collection

I doubt you will find five publishers who have even published half as many and zero with more releases.

As an aside, there are also several more Sony-published physical games available for import in English such as Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines and Moe Chronicle from Asia and various children's games from Europe, many of these from fairly famous cartoons.

Spinoff90

Of course they are. I think people often underestimate just how much they released for the Vita. They dropped out early but they still released most of the best games specifically designed for the console.

Lazy Wikipedia copy-paste list:

Hot Shots Golf
Gravity Rush
LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
Little Deviants
MLB 12: The Show
ModNation Racers: Road Trip
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Reality Fighters
Resistance: Burning Skies
Smart As...
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Unit 13
Wipeout 2048
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (Mexico only)
Jak and Daxter Trilogy
Killzone: Mercenary
MLB 13: The Show
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Soul Sacrifice
Tearaway
The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season
Borderlands 2
Freedom Wars
God of War Collection
MLB 14: The Show
The Sly Collection

I doubt you will find five publishers who have even published half as many and zero with more releases.

As an aside, there are also several more Sony-published physical games available for import in English such as Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines and Moe Chronicle from Asia and various children's games from Europe, many of these from fairly famous cartoons.

I guess it is because Sony retail games are so far from memory but I have close to 250 Vita retail games and Sony just don't stand out in the collection to me. Granted that includes a lot of imports which boosts the numbers of companies like Tecmo Koei and Namco Bandai who seem to be heavy on digital only releases in North America. I feel like I have a lot of SEGA too but that is probably because they release a lot more games in Japan. But surely NISA have more in North America than Sony at the very least? Warner with the LEGO games alone have to have a fair bit too on top of the few non-LEGO games like Spy Hunter, Batman etc. I guess it also doesn't help that I don't register games like Borderlands 2 and The Walking Dead as Sony published. But still think NISA at least have to have them topped with WB close.

I guess it is because Sony retail games are so far from memory but I have close to 250 Vita retail games and Sony just don't stand out in the collection to me. Granted that includes a lot of imports which boosts the numbers of companies like Tecmo Koei and Bandai who seem to be heavy on digital only releases in North America. I feel like I have a lot of SEGA too but that is probably because they release a lot more games in Japan. But surely NISA have more in North America than Sony at the very least? Warner with the LEGO games alone have to have a fair bit too on top of the few non-LEGO games like Spy Hunter, Batman etc.
I just counted NISA releases in Europe and even there, including ATLUS titles and such, they only tie with that list at 26 titles. So no chance for NA

Spinoff90

I just counted NISA releases in Europe and even there, including ATLUS titles and such, they only tie with that list at 26 titles. So no chance for NA

I still think of all the Neptunia games as NIS instead of Idea Factory so maybe that is making me think they have so many. Or like I said recent memory is more prevalent in my mind than what somebody did years ago so Sony are nothing but an afterthought to me on Vita. Either way they should be ashamed of their lack of effort on Vita since it would be dead if it was up to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom