• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lizard Squad member convicted for Christmas attacks on PSN, Xbox Live

Kurtofan

Swatting really should be treated as attempted murder, since that's basically what it entails when you sic the American Swat teams on people.

To me it seems fucked up that the swat team isn't responsible for the harm it causes, I mean really? They don't even verify if it's a bogus call?

Maybe shoot first, ask questions later is not a great policy

ktynn

Banned
I think these kids will go down in history as the ones that tried to make us all realise how detached we are from reality, and how attached we are to entertainment/escapism.

They should be prevented from being able to do these attacks, but the whole drama/event was interesting to me. They shouldnt be punished at all imo.

krang

To me it seems fucked up that the swat team isn't responsible for the harm it causes, I mean really? They don't even verify if it's a bogus call?

Maybe shoot first, ask questions later is not a great policy

If they did that, you know the press would be all over them for not having responded quicker to a genuine call. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Rafterman

Banned
I think these kids will go down in history as the ones that tried to make us all realise how detached we are from reality, and how attached we are to entertainment/escapism.

They should be prevented from being able to do these attacks, but the whole drama/event was interesting to me. They shouldnt be punished at all imo.

These kids won't even be remembered by history, much less for some good deed that they never intended to do in the first place. They did this because they are little shits, not because they were trying to help people become less detached.

And of course they should be punished.

Being sentenced for a crime is pretty hardcore for someone young. If he does anything criminal he's fucked, but even a normal life is going to be very difficult with a record. Why do you care if he's sitting in a prison cell?

mcz117chief

Being sentenced for a crime is pretty hardcore for someone young. If he does anything criminal he's fucked, but even a normal life is going to be very difficult with a record. Why do you care if he's sitting in a prison cell?

Exactly, people don't realise that having even a single report on your criminal record means that you can't do about 98% of jobs in Europe and a ton of services are no longer available to you. You don't even have to go to prison to have your whole life ruined in Europe.

Tiberius

Yeah nobody should be punished for stealing, harassing and endangering the lives of others
0546_kbst4.gif

dyergram

Good luck with that opinion here. People were avocating prison for the great red bull destiny code heist of 2015 :p

artsi

Pretty sure there's still a chance of a more severe punishment. As I've understood it, there are still charges against him that haven't been ruled on yet?

I can't seem to get a clear answer on it, but that's what I keep seeing mentioned. If so, there's a chance the more severe crimes weren't included in those 50K+ charges.

Yes, he was charged for cybercrimes, CC fraud and money laundering that happened in 2012 and 2013.
But most here are talking about swatting that he was not charged for.

He would have had to pay a lot of money if the plaintiffs (Harvard, MIT, MongoHQ) had actually demanded anything, but they decided not to. This does not include Sony or Microsoft since this trial wasn't about the events in 2014, but older ones. So yes he could get in more trouble later after that case (and the swatting) is brought up.

Rixa

Just got the actual sentence, reading it now. But from the first page, this is NOT the PSN/xblive case.

The parties in this case are Educause, Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and MongoHQ Inc.

I will update more as I get through the sentence (it's only 54 pages phew).

Edit: the group he was in in these cases is Hack The Planet, or HTP.

Yes, he was charged for cybercrimes, CC fraud and money laundering that happened in 2012 and 2013.
But most here are talking about swatting that he was not charged for.

He would have had to pay a lot of money if the plaintiffs (Harvard, MIT, MongoHQ) had actually demanded anything, but they decided not to. This does not include Sony or Microsoft since this trial wasn't about the events in 2014, but older ones. So yes he could get in more trouble later after that case (and the swatting) is brought up.

^^ Yeah he should get more charges later. Curious to see how much he has to pay money for MS/Sony for compensation.

Moonstone

I think he already has been 1 month in investigative custody. He probably cried a lot of for mommy.

His record should be cleared after some time, since he isn't an adult. But his potential employers will still find his name on google.

Exactly, people don't realise that having even a single report on your criminal record means that you can't do about 98% of jobs in Europe and a ton of services are no longer available to you. You don't even have to go to prison to have your whole life ruined in Europe.

Kid is 17. If you can't figure out by then that hacking a ton of computers and attacking multinational corporations, and harassing people and sending SWAT teams to their house, is probably not a good thing to do, you did that to yourself.

It's not like he took a friends website offline or had pizza delivered to someone else house.

Moonstone

Huge assumption to make that the guy will want to find a normal job and be a good member of society someday.

Because someone who commits a crime (or multiple crimes) when he is 16/17 is predestined to become a criminal for his whole life? This would be a way bigger assumption.

You actually don't need a lot of criminal energy to commit computer crimes from your children room. Even if you can commit severe crimes with the computer - the hurdle is a lot lower than for example to rob someone - as everything is virtual.

And even swatting (which is NOT just a prank) - can be seen as a prank (and probably often is - that's where the problem lies).

Kids (and even 18, 21 year old or older) are often stupid and don't act responsible. This isn't really uncommon. There is no reason why one shouldn't assume that he grows up eventually.

He can go to university (it is free there) and get a decent job. Maybe he can't become a lawyer anymore (don't know in germany his record would get deleted, I think), but I don't see why he is doomed to become a criminal for his whole life.

Because someone who commits a crime (or multiple crimes) when he is 16/17 is predestined to become a criminal his whole life? This would a be way bigger assumption.

You actually don't need a lot of criminal energy to commit computer crimes from your children room. Even if you can commit severe crimes with the computer - the hurdle is a lot lower than for example to rob someone - as everything is virtual.

And even swatting (which is NOT just a prank) - can be seen as a prank (and probably often is, that's where the problem lies).

Kids (and even 18, 21 year old or older) are often stupid and don't act responsible. This isn't really uncommon. There is no reason why one shouldn't assume that he grows up eventually.

He can go to university (it is free there) and get a decent job. Maybe he can't become a lawyer anymore (don't know in germany his record would get deleted, I think), but I don't see why he is doomed to become a criminal for his whole life.

Lot of faith in humanity in this post.

I really wish I still had this.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
I agree.
It also the reason why their influence spread into Asian culture of respect and betterment of themselves.
I have other idea for criminals though.
Use them for national rebuilding and construction projects...and for enlistment to the military force.
Of course, we will need to psychologically change them to only recognize themselves as an asset and to obey one thing, the best interest of the nation.
Basically, Starcraft criminal system.

you have too much faith in our psychological capabilities I'm afraid. Maybe in a century or two.

NickFire

If they did that, you know the press would be all over them for not having responded quicker to a genuine call. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Plus, if someone is holding a gun to your or someone else's head when the phone rings you are most likely going to lie about that. I do think they should take some precautions when possible (swat that is), but I also agree swatting someone should be treated as reckless endangerment of human life / possible attempted unjustifiable homicide / manslaughter. Attempted murder may not fit though depending on how statutes are worded.

Top Bottom