• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lizard Squad member convicted for Christmas attacks on PSN, Xbox Live

Hope they fucking extradite this asshole to the US. We have no justice here.

Should maybe find out his address and pay him a visit.

jts

...hate me...
This punk ruined my christmas FIFA session and doesn't go to jail? /s

I was actually upset back then but heh who cares so much that would wish for a little shit to get his life ruined over this? Fucking hell.

It's not like PlayStation Network isn't always down anyway for one reason or another. It's Sony who needs to get their shit together.

I1QlwV0.gif

Wish the penalty was stiffer, at least the protracted legal battle probably bankrupted him.

If that's all they're going to do, I think there would be greater justice served if they simply didn't pursue him. That way he'd have the tiny lingering fear in the back of his mind that maybe one day he'll get caught.

Now he can breath a sigh of relief that they're not coming after him and he's barely been punished.

Dalek

From Twitter:

Lizard Squad @LizardLands
"All the people that said we would rot in prison don't want to comprehend what we've been saying since the beginning, we have free passes."

https://twitter.com/LizardLands/status/618640372265275392

Good going, Finland. You sure taught them a lesson they'll never forget.

I love the people that think Finland has some magic rehabilitation program that turns assholes into caring individuals. It's like when Alex in a Clockwork Orange is released back into the world.

"I was cured, all right!"

I love the people that think Finland has some magic rehabilitation program that turns assholes into caring individuals. It's like when Alex in a Clockwork Orange is released back into the world.

The kid could have at least been somewhat punished.

A few in the thread are saying he eventually will, due to the number of crimes he's committed. But I'll only be able to believe that once I see it.

BouncyFrag

I can imagine this punk and his buddies laughing their asses off at this thread and all the people coming to their defense.
26025590_ac1b41c316f7f173d452e374c6c45c5d.jpg

should have killed the kid and displayed his corpse for all to see.

As this thread continues I'm really appreciating this post more and more.

By the logic of some in thread, a criminal can never reform just get better at being a criminal, so might as well execute them all. No risks.

From Twitter:

Lizard Squad @LizardLands
"All the people that said we would rot in prison don't want to comprehend what we've been saying since the beginning, we have free passes."

https://twitter.com/LizardLands/status/618640372265275392

Good going, Finland. You sure taught them a lesson they'll never forget.

Yep, seems like they're really reaching out for help. They only need compassion and caring, see. Oh well, don't hate the player hate the game I guess.

Nome

Conspiracy to murder, yeah. I don't think even the best prosecution could make that stick.
What I'm trying to say is that coulda/woulda isn't a good defense. Conspiracy to murder is treated as harshly as a murder for that reason.

Those attacks did a lot of monetary damage, and even if you don't care about corporations losing millions, members of that group did a lot of damage to normal ass people and ruined a lot of lives.

Dicktatorship

Honestly I really think it's important to get this kid some psychological help than send him to prison or make him fight cyber crime (though it would be nice if he could receive help and help the world). There is no other reason why he would disrupt millions of people's happiness other than he has none of his own. This kid has issues, and it would be beneficial to him and everyone else on the planet if we sought to fix those issues rather than punish him and further his descent.

diamount

Banned
What I'm trying to say is that coulda/woulda isn't a good defense. Conspiracy to murder is treated as harshly as a murder for that reason.

Those attacks did a lot of monetary damage, and even if you don't care about corporations losing millions, members of that group did a lot of damage to normal ass people and ruined a lot of lives.

You need to find intent though, and the only intent this guy probably had was to make people rage and unless he said to his script kiddy buddies.

KJ869

From Finnish news this sentence was from the time when he was 15-16 and he was already 17 during Christmas attacks so ita from other offences. Finnish system gives first timer half sentence and they give underage people shorter sentences as well so based on this the sentence would have been 4 years of jail or more so when he gets sentence from Christmas attacks it will be harsher. Also for those there will probably bee victims asking for money. For these crimes that he was now sentenced nobody claimed for damages

I'm wondering will this 2 years go active when he gets hit with the sentencing from later attacks. At least it will be added.

Like I said, nothing happened and prosecuting him for a charge that might've happened is stupid as fuck.

"So we found evidence of this guy planning to murder a bunch of people, but when he got there he forgot how to use his gun so... uh... let him go, I guess."

"The charges against Kivimaki include data breaches, felony payment fraud, telecommunication harassments, and other counts relate to fraud and violations of company secrets."

"Kivimaki has, according to Strater, repeatedly called in fake threats to American law enforcement, resulting SWAT teams arriving at the Strater residence, a practice commonly known as “swatting.” For three years, Kivimaki has harassed the Strater family by stealing their identities and wreaking havoc on their finances and personal lives, Strater said."

Good kid, I'm sure two years will give him a change of mind.

stephen08

The goal of the justice system isn't to get revenge but rather to rehabilitate the offender and protect society from them while doing so. Therefore the minor sentences of actual jailtime aren't as problematic as long as his internet activities are monitored to prevent him from doing this again.

Back in ancient china, there was only one penalty for every single crime: Death.

Stole a chicken? Death.

Killed your friend? Death.

Cheated on your taxes? Death.

Assaulted someone? Death.

This made for a very streamlined justice system and a low crime-rate.

Rehabilitation was accomplished by separating your head from your body via sharp metal edge*

This is what we should do today.

*recidivism rates were at staggering 0.00% btw.

Wow.

diamount

Banned
"So we found evidence of this guy planning to murder a bunch of people, but when he got there he forgot how to use his gun so... uh... let him go, I guess."

There we go again, as I said before unless you're caught in the house with the gun then you need proof intent for attempted murder, and swatting isn't that at all. Obviously they also did not find any evidence of him saying that was his goal for the swatting.

fedexpeon

Banned
Back in ancient china, there was only one penalty for every single crime: Death.

Stole a chicken? Death.

Killed your friend? Death.

Cheated on your taxes? Death.

Assaulted someone? Death.

This made for a very streamlined justice system and a low crime-rate.

Rehabilitation was accomplished by separating your head from your body via sharp metal edge*

This is what we should do today.

*recidivism rates were at staggering 0.00% btw.

I agree.
It also the reason why their influence spread into Asian culture of respect and betterment of themselves.
I have other idea for criminals though.
Use them for national rebuilding and construction projects...and for enlistment to the military force.
Of course, we will need to psychologically change them to only recognize themselves as an asset and to obey one thing, the best interest of the nation.
Basically, Starcraft criminal system.

BouncyFrag

There we go again, as I said before unless you're caught in the house with the gun then you need proof intent for attempted murder, and swatting isn't that at all. Obviously they also did not find any evidence of him saying that was his goal for the swatting.
Swatting sends these people to your home. At this point they believe you have either already done great bodily harm to others, or are about to. How can you defend someone who does this?
cq5dam.web_.1280.1280-360x269.jpeg

Yaska

Hope they fucking extradite this asshole to the US. We have no justice here.

Should maybe find out his address and pay him a visit.

Finland doesn't extradite unless there is a heavy reason.

Anyway I have the court documents so if anyone has any questions pertaining to this case, I'm more than happy to answer. The documents actually are quite detailed on his criminal activity.

Swatting is a good way to get someone killed. Maybe he didn't intend to and maybe it never happened, but he was repeatedly endangering people's lives for no reason other than to get his rocks off on how "clever" he was. By your logic, you could get away with anything as long as you didn't intend to do it, and if you follow that path a short distance it makes sense. Accidents happen.

But, this kid DID intend to do everything he did. By swatting someone in the first place, you are aware of the risks involved. Getting someone killed is a potential danger involved with calling the police on someone and saying they are dangerous, so by doing that in the first place you are conspiring to commit secondhand murder.

Your "justice" is based entirely on intent, but at the same time entirely ignores it.

diamount

Banned
Swatting is a good way to get someone killed. Maybe he didn't intend to and maybe it never happened, but he was repeatedly endangering people's lives for no reason other than to get his rocks off on how "clever" he was. By your logic, you could get away with anything as long as you didn't intend to do it, and if you follow that path a short distance it makes sense. Accidents happen.

But, this kid DID intend to do everything he did. By swatting someone in the first place, you are aware of the risks involved. Getting someone killed is a potential danger involved with calling the police on someone and saying they are dangerous, so by doing that in the first place you are conspiring to commit secondhand murder.

Well, guess it's good other places in the world don't run on this theoretical system of justice.

Fbh

Meh, should have given him something a bit more severe. This just shows the other members that what they are doing isn't that bad.

Give him a technology ban. Send some guy once a week to his house to smash everything invented after the 19th century

diamount

Banned
Really doubt it. Either that or has no idea what it actually means to have SWAT sent to your house.

How does that have any relevance at all? I just feel that you shouldn't be charged for a crime that has not been committed, like 'attempted murder' for swatting, jesus christ it's mob mentality justice at its finest. I also don't think there was an attempted murder charge for an actual American resident for swatting either, so you really are insane if that is the case.

Really doubt it. Either that or has no idea what it actually means to have SWAT sent to your house.
Yeah, at the least, better hope you don't love your family pet, because you're going to be minus one pet once SWAT breach your door.

How does that have any relevance at all? I just feel that you shouldn't be charged for a crime that has not been committed, like 'attempted murder' for swatting, jesus christ it's mob mentality justice at its finest. I also don't think there was an attempted murder charge for an actual American resident for swatting either, so you really are insane if that is the case.
It'd probably be involuntary manslaughter in the US if someone died while Swatting.

Purkake4

Banned
Some of the posts here are ridiculous. SWATing seems like an American problem, if you do that in Finland you get a fine (and no one gets shot). I don't see why it should be any different in this case.

The sentence seems fine to me, he'll actually go to jail if he does it again, pretty decent deterrence, plus it doesn't ruin his life.

h#shdem0n

Are you talking about the book or the film?

they ruined someones life(a girls at that) by swatting
your moralistic views are broken as fuck
dont expect sympathy if it ever happens to you for you shall have none

fedexpeon

Banned
Wow, like I don't think he got hit enough for the stuff he did, but goddamn some of you are out for blood.

Human has animalistic instinct and loves to see carnage.
That why gladiator was popular.
And also why people still watch boxing/MMA in hoping that someone will bleed and potentially blacked-out.

Piggus

Nice, I'll start driving home at 90 mph in a 20 mph school zone. I mean as long as I don't kill someone I'll be innocent, right?

Piggus

Then you will be charged for speeding and dangerous driving.

Yeah, and there's a reason for that. Because it RISKS LIVES. You know what else risks lives? SWATing. Yet you seem to think there should only be a punishment for that if something bad happens. Unless people actually get in trouble for SWATing, it's just going to keep happening.

Deitus

Some of the posts here are ridiculous. SWATing seems like an American problem, if you do that in Finland you get a fine (and no one gets shot). I don't see why it should be any different in this case.

Well he was SWATing people in America, so it is different, and people could have been shot.

Nice, I'll start driving home at 90 mph in a 20 mph school zone. I mean as long as I don't kill someone I'll be innocent, right?

Make sure you are drunk while you are at it. As long as no one dies, no crime was committed, right?

Top Bottom