• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came out of nowhere. As long as that sweet keyboard doesn't go anywhere, I welcome our iOS-ification.

Got my first Mac this past summer (Sandy Bridge MBA, 11') and will never go back to Windows. Ever.

EDIT: Messages beta! BOOM

I want to see more iOS borrowing from OS X.

The one major thing I'd like to see iOS borrow right now (and it'd involve iCloud pretty heavily) is better document-sharing. If I've got a .doc file, I want Office for Mac, Pages for Mac, and Pages for iOS to be able to find and open it, in addition to literally any other program that is capable of reading .doc files. Likewise, if I've got a save game for Angry Birds (or whichever game), I want it to sync with Angry Birds HD even though those are technically two different apps.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Loving Messages. I don't have to take my phone out of my pocket anymore!

Seriously... I imagine this will be kind of huge when I'm at home.

I don't text a ton, but when I do, I tend to be at home. To be able to respond to messages that people send me from their phones on my MacBook will be pretty damn awesome.

edit: I just realized that AirPlay could be potentially very cool for big screen computer gaming. Does anyone know how high of a resolution AirPlay supports? Is the stream quality pretty good?

Cheebo

Banned
I honestly doubt iBooks is huge selling point of iPad conidering how bad the service is. And keeping it iPad only pretty much guarantees it will never become anything big.
The app is 100x better than the kindle app (on fire and iPad) in terms of the reading experience (full touch page flipping, way more fonts) and it is way more usable and better at organization. Needs to be on Mac ASAP.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Bad?!? The app is 100x better than the kindle app (on fire and iPad) in terms of the reading experience (full touch page flipping, way more fonts) and it is way more usable and better at organization.

I was impressed with how cool the app was when I tried it on my iPhone.

I'm already invested in the Kindle, though, and do the majority of my reading on the actual Kindle devices. I'd never want to spend too long reading a book on an LCD display.

mf.luder

Does it work like Chrome's where if you have visited a site with search, you can search the specific site straight from the omnibar?

Not sure what you mean, but it does this when I go to a page and start typing in the bar.

eWRm2.png

That's so stupid. Lol.

The original Apple TV ran on a modified version of Tiger. They dumped it for iOS with the ATV 2. It's lighter weight, does everything they need, and can be expanded on going forward. They're not going back to OS X.

The quote was Apple's TV not Apple TV. I think it's pretty likely they'd use OSX on a TV to be honest. Whether that has anything to do with dropping the Mac name I have no idea.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Messages is as of this moment, the single most useful thing I have used on this OS. Multi-texting like 15 people at rapid speeds not given' a fuck

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Thought they would end Big Cats with Lion :/

Mountain Lion is anti-climactic.

ON TO AQUATIC CHARISMATIC MEGA FAUNA

Bottle Nose
Orca
Narwhal
Humpback
Porpoise

Wiktor

The app is 100x better than the kindle app (on fire and iPad) in terms of the reading experience (full touch page flipping, way more fonts) and it is way more usable and better at organization. Needs to be on Mac ASAP.
But the book selection and pricing is terrible compared to Kindle and reality that matters to most users far more. Heck, I think even on iPad Kindle is used far more videly than iBooks. Of course, Apple doesn't seem to want being a big ebook store, so I guess they just don't care.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Also there will NEVER be an OS XI

it will either be OS X (11.0) or at that point iOS and OS X will have merged and take on a new name (but I doubt they will merge personally).

Tobor

The quote was Apple's TV not Apple TV. I think it's pretty likely they'd use OSX on a TV to be honest. Whether that has anything to do with dropping the Mac name I have no idea.

There's no logic to it. iOS can already handle whatever they need the TV to do. They're not going to put a windowed desktop environment on a TV, so there's no advantage. iOS is OS X for these types of devices.

I have to admit that some of these changes with the nice integration of things that let me do things on my computer being pushed to my usage on my iPhone is making me consider finally switching. I'm due for a new laptop later this year and this has me reconsidering my plans.

giga

Pretty awesome. Wil Shipley (of delicious monster) suggested the idea of Gatekeeper to Apple last year to get a middle ground between the mac app store and brave new world.

My suggestion is for Apple to provide certificates directly to developers and allow the developers to sign their own code. And, by doing this, Apple can then reasonably say, “Ok, now we’re going to, by default, not allow the user to run any code whose certificate wasn’t issued by us and signed by a real third-party developer (except the stuff the user checks in the control panel).”

His mockup:

CertificatePreferenceMockup.png

http://blog.wilshipley.com/2011/11/real-security-in-mac-os-x-requires.html

So the main gist of Mountain Lion is just more casual shit?

This sucks for people who want to use their Macs for work...
It's seems Apple is turning their software department more and more to the casual market...

Yeah, on the surface level, it seems to be a minor refresh of Lion with a bunch of new bundled apps from iOS devices. The iCloud stuff is big, though.

I'm more interested in hearing if there are any additional under the hood changes, though. The added support for GLKit is somewhat interesting, I guess, but's not that exciting.

What worries me the most is how DF mentions that in order to use some of Mountain Lion's new features like iCloud Documents, you have to buy the app from the Mac App Store.

giga

Why isn't iCloud pushing the messages from desktop Messages to my iPhone conversations?

:-(
Check your imessage preferences on the iPhone. Remember that the Mac (and iPad and iPod) can't use a phone number so they can only be reached with your email/apple ID.

Jasoco

Banned
I just set up my iCal correctly to sync all my stuff with iCloud. (Had to export my "On My Mac" calendars to .ics then import them into similarly named calendars under iCloud then delete the old one. Now they're all on the cloud.) It is glorious. iCloud is amazing when it's set up correctly. I love it. I hope it sticks around forever and ever.

Check your imessage preferences on the iPhone. Remember that the Mac (and iPad and iPod) can't use a phone number so they can only be reached with your email/apple ID.
I have it set to receive at 2 addresses (my e-mail address and my phone number). The person I'm chatting with also has 2 addresses (her e-mail and phone number), but she's chatting from her phone.

giga

I have it set to receive at 2 addresses (my e-mail address and my phone number). The person I'm chatting with also has 2 addresses (her e-mail and phone number), but she's chatting from her phone.
You'll need to initiate a new conversation to her apple id from your apple id then.

Jasoco

Banned
So does Mail now check in the background for new messages then? I'd love if every app checked in the background with a daemon and told you when something happened. Mail mostly. Messages. Appointments and To Do's. All that fun jazz.

There's no logic to it. iOS can already handle whatever they need the TV to do. They're not going to put a windowed desktop environment on a TV, so there's no advantage. iOS is OS X for these types of devices.

Sure, iOS can do whatever they need except be a TV/DVR which presumably it will be. I just don't see it. It's going to need more flexibility than we've seen out of iOS be thus far.

Messages would be cool if it really was a complete texting replacement for the Mac, but it only shows conversations I've initiated on my computer with other iMessage users, if only they could have all your texts go there.

Lion was a huge disappointment for me. A ton of bugs and it made my late 2009/early 2010 iMac run about 20% slower than it did on snow leopard. Snow leopard is the best Mac OS ever made. I will upgrade to mountain lion because I'm a sucker but it'd be nice if it's $10 or less.

In all likelihood, Mountain Lion is going to be a continued optimization of Lion's foundation, so it's only going to get better in that respect.

Though I do worry that we're going to have to give up some of Mac OS X's rock-solid reliability that we get in the later 10.x.x updates since we're now going to be having yearly updates. No more 10.x.8, for example. And even with Mountain Lion being built on Lion's foundation, the initial 2-3 versions are going to be more buggy than desired.

In all likelihood, Mountain Lion is going to be a continued optimization of Lion's foundation, so it's only going to get better in that respect.

Though I do worry that we're going to have to give up some of Mac OS X's rock-solid reliability that we get in the later 10.x.x updates since we're now going to be having yearly updates. No more 10.x.8, for example. And even with Mountain Lion being built on Lion's foundation, the initial 2-3 versions are going to be more buggy than desired.

More frequent releases likely means less new stuff each release, which means less stuff to have bugs. Or at least that's my theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom