• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Someone has to real talk. At the very least, this "Mountain Lion" is a poor update for business and power users.

Should they not ever do updates unless they include features for business and power users (read: features that you, Utako, are personally interested in), too?

mf.luder

messages is slightly janky atm. application state isnt being saved so I can't see my conversations, and nothing is syncing to the phone, which if it wasnt intended to, really should do.

Mine is transferring my conversations over nicely. Haven't rebooted yet to test the application save state.

Once this hits release, I hope this pulls all my iMessage convos from my iPhone. To bring over the previous messages and stuff.

John_B

Zen eyes.

Lh1o9.gif

Someone has to real talk. At the very least, this "Mountain Lion" is a poor update for business and power users.

Considering this was supposed be to Lion what Snow Leopard was to Leopard, a relatively minor release focused more on performance, I'd say it looks like a pretty good update. On top of that, I'm sure there are many more under the hood changes among other things that we haven't seen yet.

seems catered towards more of iOS integration into OS X than an actual update of OS X. I dont want OS X turned into a walled garden like iOS

Had a little play with 10.8 on a test Mac. Notification Center is nice, not really bothered about reminders. Mail is v6.0 but looks almost identical to 5.2

max-pain

System Requirements

OS X Mountain Lion requires a Mac with a 64-bit kernel. Mountain Lion supports the following Mac models:

- iMac (mid 2007 or later)
- MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
- Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
- Xserve (Early 2009)

Jasoco

Banned
$29 a year for OS X would still be cheaper than buying a copy of Windows upgrade every time it comes out. Compared to the $120 for the low end and $220 for the high end (Which is more what OS X is since you get the whole thing with OS X and need to buy separate versions of Windows) Windows upgrades, $30 a year for OS X is still pretty cheap and easier to swallow.

And Safari is REALLY tempting me to switch from Chrome. It's like the first time I'm considering really switching back to Safari (After like 8 years of using Firefox and Chrome respectively) thanks to the features. My dad uses Safari because "Is it the same Safari I have on my iPad? Then I'll just use that instead." (He used Explorer and sometimes Firefox on Windows)

But Safari will need a few extensions first. It'd be nice if Chrome could have Safari syncing. Personally I think all browsers should be able to sync their tabs and bookmarks with each other in a universal format without requiring Xmarks or other third party feature. Chrome sync only syncs with Chrome. Firefox only syncs with Firefox. Safari only syncs with Safari. I have to use Xmarks to get them to play nice with each other.

The main extension Safari would need is something like Stylish or Personalized Web Options. Does it have that? I need to be able to inject my own CSS and JavaScript into any sites I want to.

I do wish they'd gotten FaceBook integration though. Especially if it meant I could have notifications in NC when someone posts something. I assume Twitter integration will have NC notify me when certain things happen? Like if someone mentions me or retweets me or whatever.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, about time for me to update from my MacBook.

I was all set to forgo the macbook line completely and just go iPad. Now I don't know what to do. I hate upgrading, its so conflicting and there is no one "get everything" option like there used to be.

Sullichin

$29 a year for OS X would still be cheaper than buying a copy of Windows upgrade every time it comes out. Compared to the $120 for the low end and $220 for the high end (Which is more what OS X is since you get the whole thing with OS X and need to buy separate versions of Windows) Windows upgrades, $30 a year for OS X is still pretty cheap and easier to swallow.

And Safari is REALLY tempting me to switch from Chrome. It's like the first time I'm considering really switching back to Safari (After like 8 years of using Firefox and Chrome respectively) thanks to the features. My dad uses Safari because "Is it the same Safari I have on my iPad? Then I'll just use that instead." (He used Explorer and sometimes Firefox on Windows)

But Safari will need a few extensions first. It'd be nice if Chrome could have Safari syncing. Personally I think all browsers should be able to sync their tabs and bookmarks with each other in a universal format without requiring Xmarks or other third party feature. Chrome sync only syncs with Chrome. Firefox only syncs with Firefox. Safari only syncs with Safari. I have to use Xmarks to get them to play nice with each other.

The main extension Safari would need is something like Stylish or Personalized Web Options. Does it have that? I need to be able to inject my own CSS and JavaScript into any sites I want to.

I do wish they'd gotten FaceBook integration though. Especially if it meant I could have notifications in NC when someone posts something. I assume Twitter integration will have NC notify me when certain things happen? Like if someone mentions me or retweets me or whatever.

I reallly want every other browser to steal Chrome's ombibar. No reason to have a separate bar for search!

I think this may be one of the first ones I skip. Depending on what else is shown for it I'll probably wait until next revision. Unless I have the money to update my macbook pro this year but it'll come standard then.

Quick

Banned
System Requirements

OS X Mountain Lion requires a Mac with a 64-bit kernel. Mountain Lion supports the following Mac models:

- iMac (mid 2007 or later)
- MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
- Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
- Xserve (Early 2009)

Feels like I only bought my Macbook Pro yesterday. Feels outdated now that I'm looking at this and seeing my model near the end of the support line.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The idea of just beaming my laptops video feed to my tv wirelessly is utter insanity. Its everything I've ever wanted.

Somnid

Message Center is a good addition since desktop OSs don't handle these in any standard way. Otherwise OSX is looking a bit long in the tooth.

Tron 2.0

I was all set to forgo the macbook line completely and just go iPad. Now I don't know what to do. I hate upgrading, its so conflicting and there is no one "get everything" option like there used to be.
Yes, exactly. My plan was to move primarily to iPad and keep my old MacBook running Snow Leopard around for occasional use.

Now I don't know if it'd be better to just get a MacBook Air or something. Can't afford to do it all.

bionic77

I really like the integration with iOS and AppleTV but I can't help but be a little disappointed.

OS X is starting to feel a little stagnant. Hopefully we get a bigger change next year and see what Apple's vision for the future of desktop computing is.

Then again in 2013 or 2014 when Apple blows us away with new hardware and an OS to take advantage of it I will probably be bitching that my old shit doesn't support it.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
The idea of just beaming my laptops video feed to my tv wirelessly is utter insanity. Its everything I've ever wanted.

There is an interview with Gabe Newell from Valve on youtube. One of the concepts he always cites is that the companies top priority is always creating a better environment for the gamer, and creating more user features that make everyones lives easier.

I think the main reason that I will always support apple is because of the features that get included in OS updates like this, everything included is something that Makes my life easier.

The iMessage integration is something I have looked forward too, because asking everyone in your contacts to download Skype is ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, exactly. My plan was to move primarily to iPad and keep my old MacBook running Snow Leopard around for occasional use.

Now I don't know if it'd be better to just get a MacBook Air or something. Can't afford to do it all.

Yes, exactly. That was exactly my plan, and it was so perfect, too. Now they screwed it all up.

I say this every thread, but you just know mission control is onboard for iOS as well, to make it even MORE confusing.

I really hope messages for iOS gets gtalk/yahoo/aim as well.

I really like the integration with iOS and AppleTV but I can't help but be a little disappointed.

OS X is starting to feel a little stagnant. Hopefully we get a bigger change next year and see what Apple's vision for the future of desktop computing is.

Then again in 2013 or 2014 when Apple blows us away with new hardware and an OS to take advantage of it I will probably be bitching that my old shit doesn't support it.
Their is no future for desktop computing; I imagine what we're seeing now with Windows, OS X and Linux is pretty much the peak.

MickD

Messages is working instantly. Great, but I don't want an iphone.

Hmm those that have installed, did you need a code Or did it just update? Anyone running it?

Jasoco

Banned
I think they need to allow AirPlay mirroring to OS X so I can play a game like say Real Racing 2 on my iPad with the controls and status dashboard elements on the iPad and the game on my MacBook Air. I don't think they should require you to use an AppleTV. Just merge it all back together. Would be awesome using your iDevice as a controller for your Mac games too. Like Angry Birds controlling the Mac version with your iPhone if you don't have a Magic TrackPad or whatever.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Their is no future for desktop computing; I imagine what we're seeing now with Windows, OS X and Linux is pretty much the peak.

I agree. Personally I think the only updates we will ever see will be more physical and hardware related. Pretty much every modern device in existence can sync up with another device like a printers or tv speaker systems. Everything is at a point where it works together.

Tron 2.0

Yes, exactly. That was exactly my plan, and it was so perfect, too. Now they screwed it all up.

I say this every thread, but you just know mission control is onboard for iOS as well, to make it even MORE confusing.

I really hope messages for iOS gets gtalk/yahoo/aim as well.
What I might end up doing is getting an iPad 3 and upgrading my MacBook to Lion. If it runs like shit, it won't be too big of a deal.

9 to Mac says it won't work on Core 2 Duo Macbook's.... crud.

What bullshit. Apple are a bunch of scammers. No reason this shouldn't work on core 2 duo. I have a core 2 duo iMac. I know this will probably be the last OS for me. It'll probably run like dog shit too. So disheartening.

Edit: MacBook or MacBook pro? Or both? So core 2 iMacs are barely making the cut it seems?

AirPlay mirroring looks awesome, but it's too bad that it doesn't look like you'll be able to mirror a specific app and do other things on your Mac in the background. It just mirrors whatever is on your desktop. Still cool!

I would love if you could mirror a single app or even a desktop and continue to use your computer as normal.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What I might end up doing is getting an iPad 3 and upgrading my MacBook to Lion. If it runs like shit, it won't be too big of a deal.

Aww yeah. See, I was all set to just put the Macbook up in a closet hooked up to a big harddrive to just sling content to my iPad. At least thats the way I pictured it. Tap in with VNC every once in a while just to make sure its all running smoothly.. such a simple a dream for such a simple man.

Tron 2.0

Aww yeah. See, I was all set to just put the Macbook up in a closet hooked up to a big harddrive to just sling content to my iPad. At least thats the way I pictured it. Tap in with VNC every once in a while just to make sure its all running smoothly.. such a simple a dream for such a simple man.
My god, it's a beautiful dream. :*(

Jasoco

Banned
Surprised about the Core 2 Duo thing. I hope they reverse that decision since my Dad's MacBook Pro doesn't have an i5.

Seriously, Apple. Not a good idea. I can understand dropping Core Duo, but C2D is still very widely used. CD's were only first generation 2006 Intel Macs. But C2D's were second generation and beyond for most of the past 6 years. The i processors are fairly new. I don't really see anything in OS X ML that would require an update to an i processor.

bionic77

I have to strongly disagree with that.

iPhones and iPads are great for consumption of media and fucking around, but if you want to get any real work done you still need a laptop or desktop computer. I hope that Apple doesn't share your vision and instead have a vision of desktop and laptop computer beyond what we currently get on OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom