• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
They should ditch the rounded corners on the Macbook Air. Have them be less rounded. The curves on the unibody line are more (bigger?) curvier than the old pressed aluminum ones.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm reading waaay too much into this, but I find it interesting they're using a generic tv in the overview video. Don't they usually use a real tv when they show tvs?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Are you surprised. This is Apple. I'm glad all my Macs upgraded easily to Lion.

I don't know I guess I figured that since I downloaded it and they weren't like "no way you have to have lion" it was going to work. I sent a braggy text to my friend about imessage on my computer and by the time she was like "whoa sweet" I had failed an epic fail.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, exactly. My plan was to move primarily to iPad and keep my old MacBook running Snow Leopard around for occasional use.

Now I don't know if it'd be better to just get a MacBook Air or something. Can't afford to do it all.

Personally, I can't think of a use for an iPad in my life. Maybe it's just because I don't have, but I can't think of any situation where I would prefer using it to another device. Actually, scratch that, it would be cool to play some adventure games or board games on it... maybe.

I've got a MacBook Air for general living room lounging and on-the-go computing, a Windows desktop PC for gaming and general computing, and an iPhone for quick Internet searches, Twitter, email, text messages, etc.

I just couldn't imagine preferring an iPad over one of my other devices in any situation besides iOS gaming.

some tech journalists have come up with a theory as to why they dropped 'MAC" from OS X . It means OS X will run on hardware other than Mac. and that is a damn shame

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Within 5 years it will just be OS for ERRTHANG. O:

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
some tech journalists have come up with a theory as to why they dropped 'MAC" from OS X . It means OS X will run on hardware other than Mac. and that is a damn shame

That seems crazy and against everything that Apple stands for. It's hard to believe they would pursue a direction that has brought them utter failure in the past rather than stay on course with the path the made them one of the most valuable companies in the world.

Besides, they sell their OS for dirt cheap. I'm skeptical that there's a ton of money to be made in licensing it out to other hardware manufacturers.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I really like the integration with iOS and AppleTV but I can't help but be a little disappointed.

OS X is starting to feel a little stagnant. Hopefully we get a bigger change next year and see what Apple's vision for the future of desktop computing is.

Then again in 2013 or 2014 when Apple blows us away with new hardware and an OS to take advantage of it I will probably be bitching that my old shit doesn't support it.

In my dreams someone comes on stage, says "For the users who just want their OS to stay out of their way" and the slide pops up with a logo for "Mac OS 9-2"

There is no way this happens, if anything they removed "Mac" from the name to signify how iOS and OS X are slowly becoming the same thing.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i'm thinking they just figured Mac OSX Mountain Lion was way too long of a name.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The swipe left to slide the entire screen out and reveal notification center underneath would be right at home at the iPad. In fact, Its always bugged me that the NC was made out of linen, but pulled OVER everything else. It makes a lot more sense to slide the homescreen down to reveal NC underneath it, rather than pull it over it. Now I'm confused.

I have to strongly disagree with that.

iPhones and iPads are great for consumption of media and fucking around, but if you want to get any real work done you still need a laptop or desktop computer. I hope that Apple doesn't share your vision and instead have a vision of desktop and laptop computer beyond what we currently get on OS X.
It's not just Apple who shares this vision, just look at Windows 8, I can't think of any changes to the underlying desktop OS outside of "metro-fying" some of the UI.

Desktops have pretty much peaked, I don't see anything truly revolutionary happening to desktops outside of them borrowing ideas and values from mobile devices.

I don't see how this harms your ability to get real work done on OS X..

This is the dumbest thing I've heard all day.

Congratulations.

https://plus.google.com/113117251731252114390/posts/Sbw59quZTC2

The latest version of Apple's desktop operating system, code-named "Mountain Lion," has a shorter name. Instead of "Mac OS X," the software is now called just "OS X."

Why did they drop the word "Mac"?

I believe that the reason is that OS X will, sooner or later, run on hardware other than products called Macs, iMacs and MacBooks.

When Apple first shipped the iPhone, that gadget ran an operating system called the iPhone OS. In preparation for the iPad, no doubt, Apple change the name to iOS because the software would run on hardware not branded with the word "iPhone."

The unceremonious dumping of the word "Mac" is being done for the same reason.

So what non-Mac hardware will OS X run on? Here's my prediction.

The first non-Mac to run OS X will probably be Apple's TV.

The next range of devices may be the touch-screen desktop PCs that I've been predicting for six years. One way to ease that jarring transition is to offer both old-and-busted Macs and at the same time, the new hotness: OS X desktop and laptops that don't use mice and don't need keyboards, which would be branded with something other than "Mac."

Kinda waiting for the day this happens. Then when everything crashes and burns because OSX is only really designed to work with Apple hardware, MS can say "it just works...except when it doesn't. welcome to the big leagues."

In all reality (and backing slowly away from the flamewar that likely will start over that comment) it sounds more like they're moving towards a merger of OSX and iOS. iOSX? >_>

MultiCore

Kinda waiting for the day this happens. Then when everything crashes and burns because OSX is only really designed to work with Apple hardware, MS can say "it just works...except when it doesn't. welcome to the big leagues."

In all reality (and backing slowly away from the flamewar that likely will start over that comment) it sounds more like they're moving towards a merger of OSX and iOS. iOSX? >_>

What about OS Xi?

OS 11? :O

I really hope this is the case. Mid 2010 models not making the cut on this operating system is borderline insanity. No one updates that often.

As we suggested might happen in our Lion review, Mountain Lion's developer preview appears to do away with support for any Mac that cannot boot into OS X's 64-bit kernel. I'll link you to that page of our Lion review again if you'd like deep technical information about what that means, but the short version is that a wide range of Apple's products from 2007 and 2008 are being dropped regardless of whether they include a Core 2 Duo processor. The list of supported Macs includes:

• iMac (mid 2007 or later)
• MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
• MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
• MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
• Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
• Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
• Xserve (Early 2009)

Anandtech

Jasoco

Banned
I really hope this is the case. Mid 2010 models not making the cut on this operating system is borderline insanity. No one updates that often.
Agreed. I hope this is true because my dad has my 2010 Pro. It's only 2 years old now. It better work with Snow Lion.

edgefusion

As we suggested might happen in our Lion review, Mountain Lion's developer preview appears to do away with support for any Mac that cannot boot into OS X's 64-bit kernel. I'll link you to that page of our Lion review again if you'd like deep technical information about what that means, but the short version is that a wide range of Apple's products from 2007 and 2008 are being dropped regardless of whether they include a Core 2 Duo processor. The list of supported Macs includes:

• iMac (mid 2007 or later)
• MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
• MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
• MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
• Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
• Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
• Xserve (Early 2009)

Anandtech

Oh thank god. Thank you for posting this, I am just inside the cutoff with my 2.4ghz C2D MacBook pro.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm liking Messages, works exactly as advertised for me and is syncing wonderfully with my phone.

Pretty neat that you can cut & paste images into it from the clipboard and it'll send them as is right away to wherever.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Can someone help me with messages? I am trying to message my friend but when I try, his number does not show up, also it says I need to verify recipient.

I do wish they'd gotten FaceBook integration though. Especially if it meant I could have notifications in NC when someone posts something. I assume Twitter integration will have NC notify me when certain things happen? Like if someone mentions me or retweets me or whatever.

This 10x.

Apple is a little misdirected in terms of what needs more integration in the social networking area.

bionic77

It's not just Apple who shares this vision, just look at Windows 8, I can't think of any changes to the underlying desktop OS outside of "metro-fying" some of the UI.

Desktops have pretty much peaked, I don't see anything truly revolutionary happening to desktops outside of them borrowing ideas and values from mobile devices.

I don't see how this harms your ability to get real work done on OS X..
I agree with a lot of what Apple is doing, with the increased connectivity to your mobile devices and more connection to the cloud. Those are obvious changes that had to come and I welcome them. But I definitely use my computer for more than just a means to sync to my iPhone.

As for how this negatively impacts our ability to get work done on OS X, well the mobile devices are designed more for consuming content. OS X used to be for consumers and professionals who wanted to create content (and do all the other shit we use computers for). I hope Apple keeps those people in mind. I love using my MBP to write on and I hope that Apple keeps finding ways to improve upon that experience going into the future.

I really hope that Apple doesn't share your ideas that desktop OS design and computing have peaked and that there is nothing left to invent. Your thoughts on desktop computer remind me of the quote that everything that can be invented has been invented.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Can someone help me with messages? I am trying to message my friend but when I try, his number does not show up, also it says I need to verify recipient.

tried just writing out his name as it's in your phonebook and picking it from the list that pops up?

Add: Messages just became my quickest way of getting photos from the Mac to my Phone, just copy/pasting them into a message to myself. :)

Cheebo

Banned

That is literally the dumbest thing I ever heard. It's literally impossible. Apple makes it's money on hardware, not software. It is why they basically give away their new OS's unlike Microsoft. Hardware is everything.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
tried just writing out his name as it's in your phonebook and picking it from the list that pops up?

Add: Messages just became my quickest way of getting photos from the Mac to my Phone, just copy/pasting them into a message to myself. :)

I tried this, and it did not work. In my address book, his number is there, but when I attempt to type his name, or even click it from the list, his number does not appear.

I also am not able to change my availability status.

This 10x.

Apple is a little misdirected in terms of what needs more integration in the social networking area.

They tried to get Facebook for Ping, but they couldn't work out a licensing deal. I'd be willing to bet that they work something out sooner than later.

That is literally the dumbest thing I ever heard. It's literally impossible. Apple makes it's money on hardware, not software. It is why they basically give away their new OS's unlike Microsoft. Hardware is everything.

well if you read some of the other posts, speculation is that they'd drop "mac" so it would run on other Apple hardware, like Apple TV, just like the switched from "iPhone OS" to "iOS" shortly before they came out with the iPad.

As for how this negatively impacts our ability to get work done on OS X, well the mobile devices are designed more for consuming content. OS X used to be for consumers and professionals who wanted to create content (and do all the other shit we use computers for).
It still is; Apple adding features inspired by mobile devices isn't impacting your ability to get work done.

I really hope that Apple doesn't share your ideas that desktop OS design and computing have peaked and that there is nothing left to invent. Your thoughts on desktop computer remind me of the quote that everything that can be invented has been invented.
I'm not saying that their isn't anything left to invent, but that the focus isn't there; mobile devices are clearly the future and that's where all the focus in the industry is going.

Mobile devices may not be optimal for creating content right now, but they will certainly be more capable in the future; perhaps even surpassing desktops.

Messages is so nice, but I kinda wish they'd tie FaceTime into it too. It's weird having two separate official Apple video chat apps with slightly different functions for each.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I tried this, and it did not work. In my address book, his number is there, but when I attempt to type his name, or even click it from the list, his number does not appear.

I also am not able to change my availability status.

Weird :( Then I dunno what's up if messages aren't working while they work fine from your phone.

(Copy/pasting videos to messages works as well, cool.)

Cheebo

Banned
well if you read some of the other posts, speculation is that they'd drop "mac" so it would run on other Apple hardware, like Apple TV, just like the switched from "iPhone OS" to "iOS" shortly before they came out with the iPad.

Apple TV is on iOS it would make no sense to switch it to OSX. They got rid of OSX on it for a reason. It's probably just so the iOS and OSX name look similar. People are getting bent out f shape over nothing.

Apple TV is on iOS it would make no sense to switch it to OSX. They got rid of OSX on it for a reason. It's probably just so the iOS and OSX name look similar. People are getting bent out f shape over nothing.

*shrug* yeah, maybe so. I'm still in the camp of the OS's merging. I like the sound of OS Xi. :)

X-Frame

My AppleTV 2 is a brick. I want another but feel like I should wait for a few months to see if another upgrade comes out. Maybe with the iPad 3.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Gave it a second restart, working beautifully now.

This actually solved a lot of problems. After the first restart, safari started acting off

Vire

I'm liking Messages, works exactly as advertised for me and is syncing wonderfully with my phone.

Pretty neat that you can cut & paste images into it from the clipboard and it'll send them as is right away to wherever.

Hmm, for whatever reason - it isn't reporting back to me anything sent to my phone. It will send out stuff fine, I just don't get anything back on my Mac.

Help? :(

mf.luder

Does Mt. Lion have Safari 5.2 already installed as default? I am just demoing it now and I do not like how the tabs stretch all the way across the screen, iOS-like but very sloppy for a 25" screen.

I do like the "omnibar" though, it was something that I loved about Chrome.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh they will merge, I agree. It's going to happen. OSX is morphing into iOS.

I really don't see it happening unless it becomes like Windows 8 where both the standard desktop and Metro interfaces are available in one package.

Does Mt. Lion have Safari 5.2 already installed as default? I am just demoing it now and I do not like how the tabs stretch all the way across the screen, iOS-like but very sloppy for a 25" screen.

I do like the "omnibar" though, it was something that I loved about Chrome.

I agree the stretched tabs look weird. Why have they not copied Google's tab resizing method, it's genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom