• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

Hey I remember in the earlier Mountain Lion DP all the Chinese services were listed in the Mail, Contacts & Calendars preference pane, but like iOS, this has now been hidden. What are the conditions to have them show up? Is it just a matter of changing the Region format to China, is there some trick to it.

Likewise, I never knew how to get them to show on iOS, or whether they only show up on iOS devices sold in China.
I saw in the iOS 6 release notes that Weibo only shows up if you have a Chinese keyboard enabled (I don't remember if it was a specific Chinese keyboard or any Chinese keyboard).

hirokazu

I saw in the iOS 6 release notes that Weibo only shows up if you have a Chinese keyboard enabled (I don't remember if it was a specific Chinese keyboard or any Chinese keyboard).

I have a Chinese handwriting keyboard enabled and I have Weibo showing up system-wide like Twitter and Facebook, but I was thinking of the Add New Account screen in the Mail, Contacts & Calendar preference pane/settings screen where you'd have the option to add iCloud, Yahoo, Windows Live, (Flickr, vimeo,) etc.

edgefusion

Is this something new with the security update to ML or just something I missed?

dieflashdie.png

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
tumblr_m5h2cb1EqK1qz74k8o1_1280.png

Pretty hot.
Oh wow. I love that. Makes me wish I didn't keep my dock hidden. I love the frosted glass look and blurred reflections and rounded corners. Apple's been all about rounded rectangles ever since they invented them for the original Macintosh OS in 1983. I'm surprised they haven't brought back the rounded menubar.

I can't wait for Mountain Lion. I am very excited for all the iCloud and iOS integration. Namely reminders, messages, and NC. I just got an iPhone 4S and use all of Apple's apps and can't wait for more apps to use iCloud.

I also hear Growl is going to make a "style" that simply sends messages to NC so all apps that don't use NC can still have notifications. Which is awesome.

I don't use Safari though, I use Chrome, which has its own syncing feature. I can't even consider going back to Safari even if I wanted to because ever since last years iOS 5 beta, my bookmarks have been so fucked up. And the problem isn't local. It's a corrupted database on the server itself. I literally tried deleting Safari's cache and settings from my Mac, turning off bookmarks syncing on my iOS devices and starting over. It always downloads a broken database full of duplicates. Thankfully Chrome works great.

I wish iCloud worked like Dropbox in that it was a local folder that was synced automatically and immediately upon changes. It makes no sense that it doesn't. That way you'd still have a local copy, but have it available everywhere too.

I am also really disappointed Apple didn't integrate Siri into OS X to replace the aging voice recognition system that's been in the OS since OS 9 or so. It only makes sense. It would make the computer even more into the future, and with a computer version they could have an activation phrase that would let you not need to use a key. Maybe in 10.9 next summer when Siri is more mature on iOS.

mrkgoo

Yeah Siri and iBooks constant omissions are becoming increasingly puzzling.....

I think their omission kinda sucks but it's not puzzling to me:

Siri: not in Mac OS X (yet) due to server load. Roll it out slow.

iBooks: not in Mac OS X because "people don't want to read on their Macs" - Apple-speak for "People want to read on their Macs, but we won't allow them, because it's not part of our vision - that's what iPads are for". Basically, trying to maintain the idea that the iPad is a different device, or an in-between device that does stuff either a mobile or a computer does not (note DOES not, not, CAN not).

hirokazu

Oh wow. I love that. Makes me wish I didn't keep my dock hidden. I love the frosted glass look and blurred reflections and rounded corners. Apple's been all about rounded rectangles ever since they invented them for the original Macintosh OS in 1983. I'm surprised they haven't brought back the rounded menubar.
Yeah, it's all over iOS.

I don't use Safari though, I use Chrome, which has its own syncing feature. I can't even consider going back to Safari even if I wanted to because ever since last years iOS 5 beta, my bookmarks have been so fucked up. And the problem isn't local. It's a corrupted database on the server itself. I literally tried deleting Safari's cache and settings from my Mac, turning off bookmarks syncing on my iOS devices and starting over. It always downloads a broken database full of duplicates. Thankfully Chrome works great.

I wish iCloud worked like Dropbox in that it was a local folder that was synced automatically and immediately upon changes. It makes no sense that it doesn't. That way you'd still have a local copy, but have it available everywhere too.
Not sure about syncing settings in Apple apps like Safari, but for documents, it is synced like Dropbox, they just keep the folder hidden from view. Maybe you could go in there and see if the settings are also there. If not you could always try to delete everything on iCloud, pretty sure you can do that in the iCloud preference pane.

I am also really disappointed Apple didn't integrate Siri into OS X to replace the aging voice recognition system that's been in the OS since OS 9 or so. It only makes sense. It would make the computer even more into the future, and with a computer version they could have an activation phrase that would let you not need to use a key. Maybe in 10.9 next summer when Siri is more mature on iOS.
They are replacing the ancient voice recognition with Dictation. It's basically the voice recognition part of Siri like the iPad 3 has. But I guess you want to control the computer with voice. Yeah, maybe when they have Siri ironed out more.

noah111

Still Alive
^Gah, I hope not. They need to get it out asap anyway for the new MBP's. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later, I can't wait.

Majine

Banned
My dad is worried that an upgrade to ML may slow down his computer (Slightly bumped up Mid 2008 imac currently running Lion). You think that's an issue?

My dad is worried that an upgrade to ML may slow down his computer (Slightly bumped up Mid 2008 imac currently running Lion). You think that's an issue?

I thought ML was supposed to be a smoother experience than Lion kinda like going to Windows 7 from Vista (ok maybe not that bad).

linkboy

I've got ML running on a 2007 MacBook Pro (2.2ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram) and it works great.

Utako

Banned

I can't wait for Mountain Lion. I am very excited for all the iCloud and iOS integration. Namely reminders, messages, and NC. I just got an iPhone 4S and use all of Apple's apps and can't wait for more apps to use iCloud.

I also hear Growl is going to make a "style" that simply sends messages to NC so all apps that don't use NC can still have notifications. Which is awesome.

Are you me? These are all my latest impressions, also. With the exception of the corrupted iCloud DB.

I didn't know that Growl was actually going to delegate to NC, but I figured that was the correct course of action.

No, it should be fine. ML not a tune-up release like Snow Leopard, but it isn't a massive new feature update either. That means plenty of engineering resources for performance oversight. Also, I'm running it in a VM under Lion on a 2010 MBP and it performs fine.

giga

GM is out!

10.8 feels like nimbler Lion. Think of it as a Snow Leopard. It'll be fine.

LCfiner

yay! hopefully it hits the store within a week. I’m looking forward to the supposed performance gains and the NC. (and the unified search/address bar in Safari)

celebi23

Can't wait to post my Mountain Lion OT. Just fine tuning it a bit. I just need a release date and then I'm ready to go. Finally finished my GM download.

Ugh. So bad that I'm debating paying $100 for a Developer Account now just to get it two weeks early. (I don't want to deal with having a non-authorized Restore partition).

What do you mean non-authorized?

The Restore partition phones in to the Apple mothership if you want to restore from it and checks your Apple ID.

If you download the GM illegally, you won't pass the phone-in. Of course, there's ways around it, but you still won't be able to take advantage of any of the nice Restore features that Apple started including with Lion, and why go through all the trouble when you can just pay $20?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
it's only unauthorized until you actually purchase ML once it's up in the App Store. at that point you don't have to reinstall and can simply type in your credentials to verify - and that's only if you want to restore using the internet recovery to begin with. recovery through a USB drive would be far quicker.

and last - you can't wait two weeks?

Sanjuro

The Restore partition phones in to the Apple mothership if you want to restore from it and checks your Apple ID.

If you download the GM illegally, you won't pass the phone-in. Of course, there's ways around it, but you still won't be able to take advantage of any of the nice Restore features that Apple started including with Lion, and why go through all the trouble when you can just pay $20?

That's not entirely accurate, at least not with Lion.

giga

For internet recovery, I thought it just checks your Apple ID if there's a purchase for 10.7/10.8 on there. So one could just install the GM and when it's released later, just purchase it with your Apple ID.

Sanjuro

For internet recovery, I thought it just checks your Apple ID if there's a purchase for 10.7/10.8 on there. So one could just install the GM and when it's released later, just purchase it with your Apple ID.

I've done recovery using both and haven't purchased either. I'm curious how they do it as well, but it hasn't been an issue to this point.

giga

I've done recovery using both and haven't purchased either. I'm curious how they do it as well, but it hasn't been an issue to this point.
It probably only asks for your Apple ID if the computer didn't ship with Lion. As for why it worked without asking for an Apple ID on 10.8--perhaps because it hasn't been released yet?

Sanjuro

It probably only asks for your Apple ID if the computer didn't ship with Lion. As for why it worked without asking for an Apple ID on 10.8--perhaps because it hasn't been released yet?

It's confusing. I do have a computer that shipped with Lion, but don't have an Apple ID that was used with it initially. However, I've also installed Lion onto many customer's computers using the server at work and have not come across this issue either.

My gut feeling is still telling me it doesn't matter either way. Apple is very casual with their OS.

giga

It's confusing. I do have a computer that shipped with Lion, but don't have an Apple ID that was used with it initially. However, I've also installed Lion onto many customer's computers using the server at work and have not come across this issue either.

My gut feeling is still telling me it doesn't matter either way. Apple is very casual with their OS.
Lion Recovery requires that DHCP be enabled on your chosen Wi-Fi or ethernet network, If you bought Lion from the Mac App Store, you will be prompted to enter the Apple ID and password you used to purchase Lion.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

I've definitely encountered the dialog to enter my Apple ID on my old MBP that came with 10.6. Either way, I prefer to just keep a thumb drive installer so I don't need to download 4 gigs over the air.

I downloaded the latest version from mac store awhile back and copied it to dvd using a guide I found. So it works just like a regular disc would

Enco

Ugh. So bad that I'm debating paying $100 for a Developer Account now just to get it two weeks early. (I don't want to deal with having a non-authorized Restore partition).
Why on earth would you do that?

The update is cool but it's not earth shattering and worth $100 :lol

Yoshiya

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

I've definitely encountered the dialog to enter my Apple ID on my old MBP that came with 10.6. Either way, I prefer to just keep a thumb drive installer so I don't need to download 4 gigs over the air.

I reinstalled Lion from a thumb drive recently and it still needed to download a lot of data before it would install. I was surprised, though fortunately it wasn't any issue.

Why on earth would you do that?

The update is cool but it's not earth shattering and worth $100 :lol

Because this is also the guy who asked for Windows XP for Christmas when I was in fourth grade.

These things excite me.

And also, because I have always had a desire to learn Objective-C for some minor development purposes.

giga

I reinstalled Lion from a thumb drive recently and it still needed to download a lot of data before it would install. I was surprised, though fortunately it wasn't any issue.
You probably used the recovery disk assistant to make that usb drive. That's different from restoring the installesd.dmg onto a usb drive. The latter doesn't require downloading files from Apple.

NekoFever

Because this is also the guy who asked for Windows XP for Christmas when I was in fourth grade.

These things excite me.

And also, because I have always had a desire to learn Objective-C for some minor development purposes.
You don't need a developer account to play with Objective-C. Xcode is free on the Mac App Store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom