• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because this is also the guy who asked for Windows XP for Christmas when I was in fourth grade.

These things excite me.

And also, because I have always had a desire to learn Objective-C for some minor development purposes.

don't do it, man. First of all, if you are going to buy it anyway, there's nothing easier than acquiring it by some other method of your choice. Also, it's out really really soon.

I know these things are exciting. I am the same. I would probably break too if I didn't have an actual developer account.

Because this is also the guy who asked for Windows XP for Christmas when I was in fourth grade.

These things excite me.

And also, because I have always had a desire to learn Objective-C for some minor development purposes.
You will seriously just get a few notifications in Notification Center and be happy and then get fucking bored. It's mostly small improvements.

Also, everyone says that last line but so few people really mean it. It just makes me lol.

upandaway

miniscule.
if it wasnt for the insane performance, you'd have no idea there was an update.
oh yeah and the dock is super uggo now.
How's the stability upgrade actually? Lion has started freezing on me lately, a tad too regularly (like once every couple days). Apple was taking so long I almost considered going back to SL.

I'm pretty sure ML will be the last OS my Mac can run so I hope it'll deal with it.

Raine

I don't get notifications from new mail. Anyone else experiencing this?

And yes it's turned on. Messages/Calendar events show up fine.

EDIT: Nvm, working now

mrkgoo

Weird. I ended up using macports.

What do you mean "weird"? Bah, I guess I can just uninstall fink and wait until it's all good.

In other news, I have a non-Appstore version of Aperture 3.

Now in ML, I understand Software Update is going to be unified with the MAc Appstore. What will happen to my version of Aperture? Will I have to purchase it to get new updates? Will I have to manually download it?

Is Software Update just 'hiding' in the MacAppstore, or is the integration much more deep?

celebi23

My Mountain Lion OT is just about finished. I just need Apple to release the damn thing (or say when it's going on sale) and then I can post it :D It might be the best topic I've ever created :p

Ambitious

So, persons who bought a new Mac recently will get ML for free. I'll receive my rMBP within the next two days - what about my old one, will i be able to install it there too or is there a single-computer-restriction?

Sean

Banned
So, persons who bought a new Mac recently will get ML for free. I'll receive my rMBP within the next two days - what about my old one, will i be able to install it there too or is there a single-computer-restriction?

It gets added to your Apple ID, and you can install it on all your computers. Just login to the Mac App Store on your older mac and go to the purchases section and it'll be there to install. No limits or restrictions.

At least that's how it worked with Lion.

Ephemeris

It gets added to your Apple ID, and you can install it on all your computers. Just login to the Mac App Store on your older mac and go to the purchases section and it'll be there to install. No limits or restrictions.

Yup, nothing changing there.

Ambitious

I wasn't sure if the license was per computer or per user. That's great, thanks.

hirokazu

What's going on with that "pop-up" animation when windows are opening? Some apps are still doing it but other apps aren't any more. Oddly inconsistent.

hirokazu

Does this mean if you get the free update, you get it to install ML for free on all your computers, but if you buy a Mac with ML pre-installed, you don't? Because when I bought a Mac mini with Lion pre-installed last year, it added the iLife apps to my App Store account, but not Lion. That's kinda silly.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm currently installing the GM over DP3 in a Parallels virtual machine. It's taking soo long and'll probably be so slow. I would install on a real machine if I had one to spare. Though I could easily revert to Lion if I have to, I don't currently feel like putting up with it. Maybe tomorrow night if the VM is too unbearable.

So glad it's coming so soon.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
OS X Mountain Lion Officially Drops Support for Some Older 64-Bit Macs

Your Mac must be one of the following models:

- iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
- Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
- Xserve (Early 2009)

On those older Mac Pros that shipped with unsupported graphics cards, Apple hasn't deigned to update their firmware to support 64-bit EFI. You can run this command in Terminal to see whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit EFI:

ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi

My 2009 Macbook Pro is okay.

Source:-
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/0...some-64-bit-macs-gently-into-that-good-night/

BearChair

What happens to older mac updates? My wife has a model not supported for Mountain Lion, but never updated to Lion anyway. Will Apple drop the price on the Lion update once Mountain Lion is released?

Popstar

Looking at that list Apple is dropping any GPUs that don't support OpenGL 3.2 (DirectX 10 class).

So Radeon 2000 HD series or better, Geforce 8000 series or better, or Intel HD Graphics series or better required.

Apple released a security update and iTunes update for 10.5 Leopard in May and June for people wondering about support for older machines. I imagine that any version of OS X not supporting the App Store is on borrowed time however. 10.5 Leopard hasn't gotten recent Java or Safari updates.

giga

What happens to older mac updates? My wife has a model not supported for Mountain Lion, but never updated to Lion anyway. Will Apple drop the price on the Lion update once Mountain Lion is released?
No, they'll probably stop selling Lion period actually. So if you want to update…

Popstar

Apple still sells Snow Leopard so wouldn't say it's easy to know what they'll do. They may leave Lion on the store for people with older machines.

They probably keep Snow Leopard around because it's the only way to get the App Store in the first place however.

btkadams

i'm kind of bummed that my parents' mac pro can't be upgraded to mountain lion. it's running great on lion right now and has decent specs, but it was purchased in late 2007 while apple states only mac pros from 2008 onward are supported. pretty shitty, as it is certainly more powerful than a macbook pro from 2007.

Popstar

i'm kind of bummed that my parents' mac pro can't be upgraded to mountain lion. it's running great on lion right now and has decent specs, but it was purchased in late 2007 while apple states only mac pros from 2008 onward are supported. pretty shitty, as it is certainly more powerful than a macbook pro from 2007.
You might be able to get it on if you upgrade the video card. I'd check again a few weeks after it releases, I'm sure someone will try it.

can wait for mnt lion, im still on snow leopard and I need the new xcode
The cross-function static analyzer in 4.4 is glorious.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Same here. Phew. I'm guessing I got a year or two left before we're fucked. I better have a retina MB by then anyway.

Yeah. I'm going to have to sell mine in the next 12 months or so. I can't see next update after ML running that well on it.

upandaway

Looking at that list Apple is dropping any GPUs that don't support OpenGL 3.2 (DirectX 10 class).

So Radeon 2000 HD series or better, Geforce 8000 series or better, or Intel HD Graphics series or better required.
Well dang, I'm out then.

Oh well, I can easily survive till the next iMac model, no biggie.

btkadams

You might be able to get it on if you upgrade the video card. I'd check again a few weeks after it releases, I'm sure someone will try it.

The cross-function static analyzer in 4.4 is glorious.

i don't care enough to warrant buying a new video card for a nearly 5 year old computer though, haha.

Magnus

so I heard airplay wasn't making older macbook pro models, did my 13" late 2010 model make the cut?

Wait, what does this mean? Mountain Lion features will be missing when installed on 2010 MBPs? Wow.

It's great to feel outdated with a $1200 laptop I got less than two years ago.

Timan

Developer
Hopefully someone finds a hack to enable airplay on other devices.

Sucks it works on the 2012 air, but it doesn't have 720p res or 1080p (it can scale to 1080p but it sucks)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Can't wait till its out, its sad, but I love backing up what I need and doing a clean install, can't beat that fresh feeling.

Apple still sells Snow Leopard so wouldn't say it's easy to know what they'll do. They may leave Lion on the store for people with older machines.

They probably keep Snow Leopard around because it's the only way to get the App Store in the first place however.

It wouldn't surprise me if they kept Lion to get some of those older Macs on a newer development platform. Especially since the OS is only a year old now.

hirokazu

Anyone know how or where Gatekeeper stores its whitelist of user-allowed apps? When you set the security setting the App Store and approved developers only, you can manually allow unsigned apps by right-clicking the app and choosing Open from there.

I'd like to know where OS X keeps track of apps allowed to run this way, in case I want to look at it or revoke apps.

Wait, what does this mean? Mountain Lion features will be missing when installed on 2010 MBPs? Wow.

It's great to feel outdated with a $1200 laptop I got less than two years ago.
It's not Apple just making arbitrary restrictions. Your computer is legitimately outdated for the feature. See NekoFever's post.

Can't wait till its out, its sad, but I love backing up what I need and doing a clean install, can't beat that fresh feeling.
Me too. I don't use time machine or anything. I manually backup my shit regularly and just copy and paste it all back onto the fresh and clean OS and re-download all my apps again. I know this is a huge waste of time for some but it's how I roll.

My iMac with Lion feels so dirty right now. Mountain Lion together with a ram upgrade to maybe 16gb (probably 8gb) and adding an SSD is going to make this late 2009 iMac a beast again. :D

I've always wanted to do a clean install, haven't done one since about 2006.
Even on this new MacBook I'm on now I just fired my old Time Machine back-up across.
Having to re-do all settings once installed is what puts me off a clean install.
I have every setting right down to my Finder window preference exact and I imagine it would be almightily tedious to have to do them all again.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
This is so damn true. It literally feels like my MBP hasn't taken a shower in a year.

Heh, yea, it isn't like it builds up a lot of crap, but it just feels so good. And that isn't limited to OS X, a fresh install of any OS is a delight I find.

What's your preferred method?

From the DMG burnt to a disc from the install package, at least that is how I did Lion as I usually would have just got the disk, I'm not into installing over previous versions.
Plus I always like to have a disc backup just incase.

Woo, macbook 2009 13" gets to stay on the island.. :D
Which one do you have?
The sucker I am got the mid 2009 model, before they moved on to better materials, lol.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Anyone know how or where Gatekeeper stores its whitelist of user-allowed apps? When you set the security setting the App Store and approved developers only, you can manually allow unsigned apps by right-clicking the app and choosing Open from there.

I'd like to know where OS X keeps track of apps allowed to run this way, in case I want to look at it or revoke apps.
I doubt it's plain text. It's probably encrypted. Else it'd be a big security risk if any app just happened to sneak through a hole in the walled garden and knew exactly where to look so it could add itself (And others) to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom