• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Review Thread.

Phionoxx

Paid 30 dollars for it from GMG, I'm sure I will manage to enjoy the time with the game. Looks like fun to me, and oddly reminds me of Smugglers Run which I liked a lot.

Carnby

7 isn't a bad score. I like lots of 7 games. I'm not buying it because the WB formula burned me too many times. I hated Shadow of Mordor and Arkham Knight. Mad Max looks like the same game to me.

Mentok

Banned
Forget the whole "credibility of the reviewers" stuff that some are spewing...are we calling 7 out of 10 trash now?? Some of the most fun I had last gen were from games that reviewed around 7/10. Even if "credible" reviewers give it similar scores, it's not an indication of a bad game, just of a good game with flaws.

Has there EVER been a good game based on a movie?
51DDS4TG24L.jpg
That Xmen Origins Wolverine game was also great.

Generally speaking, reviews threads often tend to be among the worst threads this site has to offer. And I have no desire to single out any specific fans/detractors of a particular game, developer, publisher, or platform. But the problem is that people very often enter into reviews threads already knowing what they want to see from reviews and then proceed from there. Reviews going how I expected? Boom! I knew this game was going to rock/suck. Reviews not going the way I expected? Well, no worries. We know they get it wrong all the time. Like that one game that totes sucked but got great reviews or that other game that ruled that got panned because reviewers were babby gamers that aren't good at vidya.

In a perfect world, people would wait for a clear consensus to form and actually read review text before reacting to the perceived competence of reviewers. Actually playing the game themselves would also be a nice bonus. But alas, that's not the world we live in.

Yeah, but Edgy knee jerking is so hip and cool though.

Why is that?
Because if it does indeed end up getting mediocre reviews, it would be a poorly received game that released on the same day as a critically revered sequel to one of the most famous games of all time, and at the start of the biggest time of the year for new releases. Games that don't sell drop in price.

Cleve

Paid 30 dollars for it from GMG, I'm sure I will manage to enjoy the time with the game. Looks like fun to me, and oddly reminds me of Smugglers Run which I liked a lot.

Same here man. I'm not expecting a life changing experience, just a fun open world game with some driving combat. I'm sure I'll get my $30 worth out of it.

Cleve

Look insane
Is this available in steam? is it origin?

Not available on any pc download service that I'm aware of unfortunately. I think it's trapped in licencing limbo even if they wanted to sell it. If you want to buy it on pc amazon has it for $8, otherwise you can find it used on consoles fairly easily.

panty

People give way too much credit to someone's opinion and a small article.

MGS will sell enough, I'll give my money to this instead and Until Dawn.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Thing is that reviewers are probably comparing this game to Mad Max: Fury Road, which is the best movie of 2015, so expectations for this game were higher. Since the game obviously can't live up to that enormous height, reviews from the big sites maybe end up being even lower than the two in the OP.

Shame as there hasn't been a good car combat game since Twisted Metal died.

cakely

Speaking of games that were better than the movies they're based on I can't believe no one's mentioned GoldenEye yet.

DOWN

Banned
If scores keep at this range, this game is seriously gonna suffer on consoles. You can call a 7 good all that you want, but it isn't $50-60 good on consoles. I'm keeping an eye out for some more familiar sites with hope.

If it gets critically panned everywhere; I may cancel my preorder. I am hoping/expecting it to get higher scores though.

Worst case scenario: I'll buy it later.

Oneself

I figured it would ride in somewhere in the middle of the road and that does not bother me one bit. I have seen enough to know what to expect from it and know that I will have a blast. Hell, many times these 'average' scoring games end up being ones that I love to death.

Same here. Except for Bloodborne, the (not indie) games I enjoyed the most in the last year were Dying Light, Driveclub, Zombie Army Trilogy... Talk about "average scoring" fun.

meanspartan

I tend to take first impressions around here with a grain of salt. Most of the time I see people praise a game they just bought, as if to justify their purchase, only to sour on it eventually. That or just claim reviewers don't know what they're doing ala Devil's Third as a recent example.

Yup. People on the Order thread claiming it was 10 hours lol. I didnt particularly rush but beat it in 5.

2 Reviews before embargo.

One that drops to 7.5 because framerate issues of Xbone.

The sad thing is, that now some people will not buy it because of some clickbait reviews.

We should try to guess Polygon Reviewscore. I would say a 3.

I tend to take first impressions around here with a grain of salt. Most of the time I see people praise a game they just bought, as if to justify their purchase, only to sour on it eventually. That or just claim reviewers don't know what they're doing ala Devil's Third as a recent example.

Wait to see more people stream it?

BigDug13

It's just weird that the Just Cause 2 team made this game while another team made JC3. Leaves me with the fear that both games will come out mediocre.

Pimpbaa

Have a little faith in Avalanche people

Problem is who at Avalanche made this? I mean Just Cause 3 is coming out this year too. So they must have two teams now.

edit: I guess this answers my question. Not sure if I like the answer either lol.... :(

It's just weird that the Just Cause 2 team made this game while another team made JC3. Leaves me with the fear that both games will come out mediocre.

Trace

Banned
Not really convinced by the reviews from two no-name sites. I didn't pay a lot for it so I'm not totally bummed if it's bad, but I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Jtrizzy

there are plenty of streams and so far it looks solid to me, easily worth the 30-35 bucks on PC. It'll tide me over while MGSV downloads.

Top Bottom