• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia [Werewolf] - Have you joined the lynch mob? Sign-up to play!

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

Zubz

Banned
Oh man, so they were hunting Ourobolus since Day 1, and he ended up being their "Mafia's" leader? That's fantastic!

Yeah, I think so too! Thanks Johnny <3 We shall build a statue of you in the town's centre~

If it could be me and Han rocking a mid-air high five that would be cool thanks (we have floating statue tech now right?).

Also apparently I just became a member, think I had about 10 posts in 6 months before Mafia.

If it could be me and Han rocking a mid-air high five that would be cool thanks (we have floating statue tech now right?).

Also apparently I just became a member, think I had about 10 posts in 6 months before Mafia.

hahahah

the mafia game powerlevelled you to member status XD

I shall order this statue. I heard Devillage Ass town can help. Might end up with some form of donkey substituted in though. Not sure. Great discounts, though.

Ourobolus

Banned
YesNOnoNOYes said:
I shall order this statue. I heard Devillage Ass town can help. Might end up with some form of donkey substituted in though. Not sure. Great discounts, though.
I can get you a decent loan with a wonderful interest rate!

Karkador

Banned
50% + 1 (man, why is this system so controversial?)

50% of 11 is 5.5; add 1 to that, and it's 6.5

Since there are no half-votes, we round up, which means 7 votes to reach majority

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Since there are no half-votes, we round up, which means 7 votes to reach majority
But... 6 is majority...

6 to 5???

squidyj

i mean you already did +1 I don't understand why you round up

majority = floor(0.5 * n + 1)

Haly

6 > 5 Karkador!

6 > 5!!!!!

THE TRUTH WILL NOT BE SILENCED.

Karkador

Banned
thats not majority. 6 is majority.

50% + 1 is a specific type of majority. It works the way I explained it.
The characteristic of "50% + 1" is that it generally requires a slightly higher standard; more people need to vote and participate in the game, at every stage of the game.

Since day/night cycles typically involve 2 people getting eliminated, the tendency for a game that started with an odd-numbered player count is to stay odd-numbered. If there's a switch to even-numbered cycles, for some reason, then it can be a blessing or a curse.

Say there's a compromise in the village discussion (like players don't lynch someone day 1). Player count switches to even-numbered cycles, which means it will be easier to close a day out. This could potentially be bad at the start, because now there's a lower standard to close the day in the early game; and it's easier for people to pile onto a bad choice - and it takes one less mafia to drive that vote.

If something crazy happens (like 3 people dying in a cycle), then it might switch to Even again, and the lower majority standard could be seen as a blessing - now it would be easier for the hopefully-informed town to throw someone suspicious out.

Here's how the Animal Crossing game would have gone so far, with or without 50%+1

AC Mafia with 50%+1:

23 players Day 1 - 13 votes for majority
22 players Day 2 - 12 votes for majority
20 players Day 3 - 11 votes for majority
19 players Day 4 - 11 votes for majority
17 players Day 5 - 10 votes for majority
14 players Day 6 - 8 votes for majority
11 players Day 7 - 7 votes for majority

AC Mafia without 50%+1, nothing else changed:

23 players Day 1 - 12 votes for majority
22 players Day 2 - 12 votes for majority
20 players Day 3 - 11 votes for majority
19 players Day 4 - 11 votes for majority
17 players Day 5 - 9 votes for majority
14 players Day 6 - 8 votes for majority
11 players Day 7 - 6 votes for majority

I'm not saying one is more "correct" than the other, it's just a matter of choosing how to pace the game.

Haly

Oh I see, as long as it's intentional then.

RetroMG

Hey, when these games end, do we get to see what went on in the other threads? (Mafia/HHA thread, the Gossip threads, etc?)

MattyG

Banned
Why does the Animal Crossing thread have so many more dank maymays than the Star Wars thread?

Step your rare pepe game up.

2a7.jpg

Haly

I could ask why the Star Wars thread has so many more duels (one) than the Animal Crossing thread.

Makai

Star Wars is really slowing down because the most prolific posters keep getting killed. Blargonaut is still the #5 poster!

Makai

Maybe next time there could be some sort of mechanic that encourages posting. Like...auto-killed if you are the least prolific poster for that day. Maybe that would be too punitive...

Top Bottom