• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia [Werewolf] - Have you joined the lynch mob? Sign-up to play!

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

CzarTim

Maybe next time there could be some sort of mechanic that encourages posting. Like...auto-killed if you are the least prolific poster for that day. Maybe that would be too punitive...

Yup. After day 3 there were several alive posters who had less posts than the moderator of the game. No excuse imo.

SalvaPot

I think people picked up in the fact that quiet users are the most suspicious of them all, starting from next game be sure they are going to be nominated first.

Kevyt

I just realized Haly was killed by the HHA in the AC game.

I had some suspiction he was HHA but he was very active. I'm pretty sure because of it he was a high priority target by the mafia.

He is gud...

Launchpad <3

and you were so effective when you were alive.

1362713678_black-kid-crying-tear.gif

Zubz

Banned
I was thinking about 2 different ideas for the next game we could try to employ at work today; would anyone be interested in employing either idea/both of them?

One is the "Traveler" variant of Werewolf. In it, there are 2 concurrent games running simultaneously in 2 different rooms (Well, it'd be threads here). After every night phase, one player (The Traveler) in each game takes another player from the same game, and they both "travel" into the other game. The other player keeps his/her role regardless of which game (s)he is in. So, for example, if the person that moved with the Traveler was Mafia/Wolf, (s)he would join the new game's Mafia/Wolves. The transplanted player could be a Doctor, a Cop/Seer, or even just a Vanilla player instead, which admittedly may affect the games' balances, but definitely makes them more exciting!

And, of course, there'd be a Vampiric character on the "Scum" team in each game, who picks another player and turns him/her into a Mafia/Wolf player on the first night phase, so the Traveler isn't necessarily a safe, pro-Town role. It was hard to manage 2 games at once when we did this in real life, but it was a blast to play! We'd need at least 2 GM's working in tandem, so if need be, I can take one of the roles.

There's also the "Train" variant. I've never played it, but players who are killed go into an "afterlife" game (It's called "Train Mafia" because it was developed for use on 2 different trains in the NYC Subway System; here, we'd just have a second thread for our "afterlife" game). Upon death, players are randomly designated to be one of 3-4 different spiritual factions, and instead of voting to kill one another, the dead vote to give a different player a point during each day phase (Night phases are irrelevant when playing in-person). That player's point goes to his/her faction instead of the player, and whichever spiritual faction has the most points at the end of the secondary game wins. It sounds somewhat confusing, and unlike the Traveler variant, I've never played it. We've had people who could do nothing but comb the Dead Thread for a few weeks now, though, so at least that's a way to give those players something to do! I have a link for this one, if anyone's curious. http://www.copenhagengamecollective.org/train-mafia/

Ourobolus

Banned
So, random thought.

A buddy of mine and I are working on a Mafia game for iOS/Android (we're actually a decent way along and hopefully will have it done relatively soon!). Would any of you guys be interested?
It'll be a chat-variant, with 24-hour day cycles and 24-hour night cycles (or earlier depending on votes and the like - so when majority is reached the day ends, and when everyone has input their night actions, plus a small amount of time to account for fat-fingering, the night ends. Theoretically the game could probably be played in 2 hours if people are quick enough).

It'll be entirely automated, with 12-person games, split between:

- Traditional (Villagers, Goons, Doctor, Cop, Godfather)
- Variants (Planned out variants)
- Chaos (Randomized roles...to an extent)

I think it'd be a great little game to play on the go. Any thoughts?

Palmer_v1

So, random thought.

A buddy of mine and I are working on a Mafia game for iOS/Android (we're actually a decent way along and hopefully will have it done relatively soon!). Would any of you guys be interested?
It'll be a chat-variant, with 24-hour day cycles and 24-hour night cycles (or earlier depending on votes and the like - so when majority is reached the day ends, and when everyone has input their night actions, plus a small amount of time to account for fat-fingering, the night ends. Theoretically the game could probably be played in 2 hours if people are quick enough).

I'd give it a shot if you need help testing it in iOS. It sounds like you basically want to make Epic Mafia but in app form. If you're up for stat tracking, I'd go for a "ranked" Traditional mode(Both Mafia and werewolf themes), and less serious role madness and bastard games. You'll have to make a lot of pre-created games, or have weighted roles so it can randomize a game and still have it fair.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'd give it a shot if you need help testing it in iOS. It sounds like you basically want to make Epic Mafia but in app form. If you're up for stat tracking, I'd go for a "ranked" Traditional mode(Both Mafia and werewolf themes), and less serious role madness and bastard games. You'll have to make a lot of pre-created games, or have weighted roles so it can randomize a game and still have it fair.

Yeah, I'd keep track of W/L records for both Town and Mafia. Ranked play might be further down the line though.
Traditional would just be the one variant, while the other two have differing forms. One pulls from a set list of planned-out roles, while the other one simply picks from a pool of all of the roles (with some caveats - like if it pulls an Arsonist, then it would also pull a Firefighter, etc.), that way there is some balance to it.

EDIT: Missed the part about weighted roles. Yes, that will also be taken into account.

Ourobolus

Banned
The major thing I have to keep in mind is that we won't be having moderators - so only roles that can be strictly automated will be included. Considering the size of my team (2), we don't have the bandwidth to actually moderate :p

EDIT: Also, we're strictly doing "Mafia" for the time being. I plan on adding "Werewolf" eventually, but one thing at a time. :)

Palmer_v1

Huh. So it's basically a one-shot deal - if they lynch a villager, Werewolves win. If they lynch a Werewolf, Town wins. Regardless of who's left.

Might not be a bad idea.

It's also designed to run entirely without a moderator already. Normally all you do is decide what roles to include so everyone knows, shuffle, then go. 1 round doesn't last more than 10 or 15 minutes usually.

Ourobolus

Banned
It's also designed to run entirely without a moderator already. Normally all you do is decide what roles to include so everyone knows, shuffle, then go. 1 round doesn't last more than 10 or 15 minutes usually.

So everyone knows what roles are available at the outset? I mean, yes, they don't choose all of them, but yeah.

Though it's not like it matters since there really aren't any night actions.

It's definitely something I'll consider adding. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to throw in there.

Palmer_v1

So everyone knows what roles are available at the outset? I mean, yes, they don't choose all of them, but yeah.

Though it's not like it matters since there really aren't any night actions.

It's definitely something I'll consider adding. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to throw in there.

Not sure how much you looked into it. Say you had 6 people playing. You'd have 9 role cards shuffled together, with 3ish being Werewolves. Each person gets a card, then the remainder go face down in the middle. You then have a series of night actions that occur in a specific order, some of which interact with the cards in the middle, or other player's cards. Nobody moderates this, and there's an app specifically for telling people what order to go in. After you wake back up, you don't get to look at your card again. So while you know what roles are possible, you have no idea which ones were actually in play. You can even end up with all 6 players as town.

Ourobolus

Banned
Not sure how much you looked into it. Say you had 6 people playing. You'd have 9 role cards shuffled together, with 3ish being Werewolves. Each person gets a card, then the remainder go face down in the middle. You then have a series of night actions that occur in a specific order, some of which interact with the cards in the middle, or other player's cards. Nobody moderates this, and there's an app specifically for telling people what order to go in. After you wake back up, you don't get to look at your card again. So while you know what roles are possible, you have no idea which ones were actually in play. You can even end up with all 6 players as town.

I guess that video I watched didn't really explain the concept of night actions in this version. I'll look into it further.

RetroMG

Since I can edit in here, let me say something else.

I am a big enough man to admit when I am wrong, and I was wrong abut you, Ultron. Sorry for pressing so hard against you.

ultron87

Since I can edit in here, let me say something else.

I am a big enough man to admit when I am wrong, and I was wrong abut you, Ultron. Sorry for pressing so hard against you.

No worries. I totally fucked up the previous day and would've gotten voted out for it in any other game.

This purifying truth fire that burned down our house is pretty refreshing.

Ourobolus

Banned
Anyway, for the guys who just came out of the AC game and may have missed it, I'll repost:

So, random thought.

squidyj

Anyway, for the guys who just came out of the AC game and may have missed it, I'll repost:

So, random thought.

I think I'd like to make a configurable mafia back-end that manages game state, role randomization, house rules, etc, and then a variety of front ends so you could use it in a chat based game or to power a bot in a forum or chat bot in a live video game.

Ourobolus

Banned
I think I'd like to make a configurable mafia back-end that manages game state, role randomization, house rules, etc, and then a variety of front ends so you could use it in a chat based game or to power a bot in a forum or chat bot in a live video game.

So we're definitely going to be developing a back end to handle all of the game states and randomization (and house rules are covered by the "variant" mode). The front ends for now that we are shooting for are iOS and Android. Maybe PC/Mac in the future.

Forum bots...maybe. Again, this is all tied to having a moderator-less version of the game, so while it's doable, it does leave a few roles up in the air as to whether or not they are viable.

El Topo

hey Hobohodo, now you and your brother are together again, how happy!

You guys make me sick. He was just a child. A child! That's no justice.
Why do you hate the Happy Home Academy anyway? All they're doing is providing people with affordable, high-quality living space.

squidyj

So we're definitely going to be developing a back end to handle all of the game states and randomization (and house rules are covered by the "variant" mode). The front ends for now that we are shooting for are iOS and Android. Maybe PC/Mac in the future.

Forum bots...maybe. Again, this is all tied to having a moderator-less version of the game, so while it's doable, it does leave a few roles up in the air as to whether or not they are viable.

like what sort of roles are you thinking would be difficult?

Top Bottom