• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia [Werewolf] - Have you joined the lynch mob? Sign-up to play!

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

Palmer_v1

Star Wars Mafia |OT| A long time ago in a galaxy far far away... you were lynched.

and for karkador, I can only assume:

Super Troopers Mafia |OT| You boys like Mexico!?

|OT| Who wants a mustache ride?
|OT| I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says Shenanigans

Star Wars Mafia |OT| A long time ago in a galaxy far far away... you were lynched.

and for karkador, I can only assume:

Super Troopers Mafia |OT| You boys like Mexico!?

|OT| Who wants a mustache ride?
|OT| I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says Shenanigans

I laughed really hard and immediately thought of this one.

|OT| How's the view from sugar heaven?

What's the win condition for the Trooper Farva role? Getting lynched day 1?

I think his win condition would be "don't get lynched" and he wins regardless of faction. He did sell out the troopers to the local PD, and me up with the guys busting the house party.

All this quoting makes me want to watch it. Is it on Netflix?

Got another one after watching the indiegogo campaign video for super troopers 2

|OT| don't die in a trunk

Edit: not trying to be insensitive at all, the meow joke was from their perks and the trunk joke is at Farva's expense

Just read through the last game and it was pretty fascinating to watch unfold so throw me down on the waiting list for any future games!

Just read through the last game and it was pretty fascinating to watch unfold so throw me down on the waiting list for any future games!

Honestly, I'm shocked that there were people retroactively reading through it. I love mafia but there's no way in hell I'd ever read through a mafia game I wasn't a part of from beginning to end. I'll sometimes read random pages or days, especially if I know there was a crazy event or day that happened at some point.

CzarTim

Honestly, I'm shocked that there were people retroactively reading through it. I love mafia but there's no way in hell I'd ever read through a mafia game I wasn't a part of from beginning to end. I'll sometimes read random pages or days, especially if I know there was a crazy event or day that happened at some point.

It's a lot of fun guessing who's on what side without having any consequences for being wrong.

It's a lot of fun guessing who's on what side without having any consequences for being wrong.

Oof, I meant to elaborate, I find it shocking to jump into the middle of a mafia game and read it from beginning to end vs. starting when the game is on day 1 or 2, MAYBE 3. It just seems like a lot of stuff to go over if you're reading it well after it happened.

Oof, I meant to elaborate, I find it shocking to jump into the middle of a mafia game and read it from beginning to end vs. starting when the game is on day 1 or 2, MAYBE 3. It just seems like a lot of stuff to go over if you're reading it well after it happened.

Eh, I've lurked through hundreds if not thousands of pages on gaf and many of them were far less entertaining. Although, it is true, I don't regularly read through an entire mafia game on sites. Something about it being on gaf made me more excited.

Palmer_v1

It made me more aware of the players when I was in other threads. I'd see a familiar avatar and think, "what's this lying ass motherfucker up to in here"

squidyj

I love playing mafia live, over video chat, playing town of salem, all that shit. If I had known this was a thing I would have signed up. It's not entirely clear from the OP how you guys are doing the GAF game though. video? forum? ???

Karkador

Banned
NodjnaL.png

yeah I started reading it. the ruleset is a little strange to me. getting perfect information on death is really powerful for town. I'm used to playing where the initial roles are known, ie 4 mafia, a cop a medic etc etc. but when you someone dies you don't know what they were.

Interesting that you pointed out the scenario as being very powerful for the town with the knowledge of roles on death, when a lot of the initial troubles people of people in the last game was that things were trickier because of not knowing all the roles beforehand.

squidyj

Interesting that you pointed out the scenario as being very powerful for the town with the knowledge of roles on death, when a lot of the initial troubles people of people in the last game was that things were trickier because of not knowing all the roles beforehand.

It's much more explanatory of past claims and action, it holds people more accountable to what they say. In another game I could claim cop and barring a counterclaim how would you ever know I was actually fake claiming? Even if you know there's a cop, if the real cop doesn't counterclaim me, if I think as mafia that we've already killed the cop. There is a chance I can run the game. But if I'm claiming Cop and my checks prove to be wrong, or if I try to play it safe and just pretend to get green checks all game, that's suspicious.

with exact role information if we lynch a mafia that becomes a huge keystone in understanding the game. Exploring votes related to that player as well as that player's votes is not foolproof but it gives a much better picture of the game to town.

Town Dying over and over is less informative but can still lead to interesting information.

Karkador

Banned
You have to weigh those characteristics against the fact that it's going to be very difficult to comb through 1000-2000 posts to find how all those pieces fit.

I think it would be a nightmare to keep track of all of that over several months for 20+ players, if you got no role info upon death.

squidyj

You have to weigh those characteristics against the fact that it's going to be very difficult to comb through 1000-2000 posts to find how all those pieces fit.

I think it would be a nightmare to keep track of all of that over several months for 20+ players, if you got no role info upon death.

I would generally take notes, at the very least to have an easy way to look through all the votes.

It makes me wonder, how many of the other players took notes. I don't remember anyone mentioning such a thing.

I kinda took notes on supposed power roles on my witchhunt to find the docter, vigilante, or cop. Of course you're not gonna know that without reading our forum.

Not taking enough notes killed me though, so I'll do better next time.

Palmer_v1

I kinda took notes on supposed power roles on my witchhunt to find the docter, vigilante, or cop. Of course you're not gonna know that without reading our forum.

Not taking enough notes killed me though, so I'll do better next time.

Lynch: LoC

I wasn't taking notes, specifically, but I did tend to go back through someone's posts if they did something that made me suspicious. I also posted those post count updates so I could refer to them when needed via my own post history. RNH and LoC both started to post a LOT more near the end, which is one of the things that kept them on my list. There was one point when Rembrandt, MattyG, and LoC in particular were on my lynch list purely for inactivity. I flipped out when they all suddenly posted RIGHT after I did a huge update.

squidyj

I like note-taking for specific information and gathering my reads and observations at any point in time.

for instance Pants' first(ish?) post read to me as a naive/inexperienced town who can see the problem between lynching or not but doesn't have the experience or werewithal to prefer a strategy. sort of passive and waiting to be lead by someone else.

Later posts projected a very different character, someone who was much more canny and well-versed, and it could have been useful to have a note of that initial impression available when reading subsequent posts, to highlight the disconnect.

I wasn't taking notes, specifically, but I did tend to go back through someone's posts if they did something that made me suspicious. I also posted those post count updates so I could refer to them when needed via my own post history. RNH and LoC both started to post a LOT more near the end, which is one of the things that kept them on my list. There was one point when Rembrandt, MattyG, and LoC in particular were on my lynch list purely for inactivity. I flipped out when they all suddenly posted RIGHT after I did a huge update.

I was about to try and defend my posting habits here as not really being able to figure anything out before realising the game's over and I have no reason to defend myself anymore. Plus I was mafia so it was a total lie anyway.

nin1000

Banned
being consistent on posting is in my view very important. At the beginning thought most of it was useless and posts without really having any content. I laughed at those claims when someone said "only posts without content" were made. ^^

To be fair, I remember that exchange and me posting was purely coincidence. I almost always waited before posting, never reactionary except that last time, to continue the ruse of inactivity.

Like on Day 6 when El Topo voted for me. It took me near a day to retort, yet I was on when he posted it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, I remember that exchange and me posting was purely coincidence. I almost always waited before posting, never reactionary except that last time, to continue the ruse of inactivity.

Like on Day 6 when El Topo voted for me. It took me near a day to retort, yet I was on when he posted it.

This is how mafia get caught. People lynch quiet people before they lynch noisy ones.

This is how mafia get caught. People lynch quiet people before they lynch noisy ones.

Sure. In hindsight I would have kept my posts even with Traube, stayed with the bandwagon a tid more, and pushed strongly to lynch inactives.

I felt like I started to get the hang of it more as we went along, so game 2 should be better.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I've just updated the setup thread now. One of our moderators set-up is essentially ready to go, the other needs a few more fixes. I take full responsibility for the slowness, I've been absolutely starved for time this week.

I've just updated the setup thread now. One of our moderators set-up is essentially ready to go, the other needs a few more fixes. I take full responsibility for the slowness, I've been absolutely starved for time this week.

It's all good, we weren't supposed to go until May 5th anyway. Also, we'll probably have to start wrangling people soon, I guess.

MattyG

Banned
I'm going to be revising my role setup today, hopefully for the last time. I meant to have it done by saturday, but I got a really bad stomach bug and had finals at the same time, so that slowed me down a bit. So sorry to keep you all waiting!

Top Bottom