• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Mikor

I am the biggest Marvel fanboy and even I think this is a bad arpg. I played it for maybe 20 hours and I have no want to play any more than that.

This is the second or third post you've made along these lines trying to elicit a reaction. You should probably stop now before you risk losing your account.

I'm currently running Chapter 2, probably will be going for Taskmaster in a few minutes (have to make a stop in town first), any Gaffer around that area? :)

You didn't know about this? You've been quite the regular in this thread from what I've noticed.

I was talking about the prices for the top characters, but I see I misread the thing I quoted. I'm not up to date on the pricing, I just heard the prices would be changing once the game goes live since they gave out G during the beta. So I wasn't surprised when nothing changed, because they got to make that money.

Unless you are a crazy marvel fan or just bored with all other ARPG games I would seriously pass on this game. I found Van Helsing to be better and it was like $13.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Didnt expect this thread to be non-active during early access, but I guess a lot of you didnt get the UP? If I wasnt at work I would be grinding it up right now.

Cant believe they left out a couple of the storage tabs for UP owners though!

Quite random, but for the record 90's cartoon Beast is best beast. This medium build, cat looking misfit that I keep seeing everywhere gets no respect from me.

Quite random, but for the record 90's cartoon Beast is best beast. This medium build, cat looking misfit that I keep seeing everywhere gets no respect from me.

90's cartoon Beast is based on 70's transformed Beast. The 90's aren't the almighty grail, and the 90's cartoons are really corny and bad; they have not aged well at all - that, and the 90's are the pretty much the sole reason that comics are shit now. :p

Also, that "cat looking misfit" is Beast's main appearance since like... over a decade now.

90's cartoon Beast is based on 70's transformed Beast. The 90's aren't the almighty grail, and the 90's cartoons are really corny and bad; they have not aged well at all - that, and the 90's are the pretty much the sole reason that comics are shit now. :p

Also, that "cat looking misfit" is Beast's main appearance since like... over a decade now.

While I mostly agree and generally think nostalgia clouds people's judgements (though the 90's had some undeniably great shows), Cat Beast was a horrible period for the character in every way.

Though as you can guess I have my own bias, ha ha.

also not to start a huge reply here, but what are other NON X-Men characters that can be added to Marvel Heroes??

A LOT! lol

There's a lot of Avengers members missing still, there's the entirety of cosmic Marvel sans Rocket Raccoon and Nova (which still is quite sizable), the Inhumans if you don't want to count them towards cosmic Marvel, the remaining Fantastic Four members, the entirety of magical/horror Marvel, the slightly lesser known teams such as Heroes for Hire or Defenders, and the more independent characters like Captain Britain or Namor.
And that doesn't even count playable villains.

While I mostly agree and generally think nostalgia clouds people's judgements (though the 90's had some undeniably great shows), Cat Beast was a horrible period for the character in every way.

Though as you can guess I have my own bias, ha ha.

Oh, the 90's definitely had great shows, but not Marvel shows lol.
I do agree on cat Beast, but it's less the design and rather what they did with the character that's upsetting. Although the design is also meh. At least it's better than the super recent blue gorilla.

also not to ask a lot of questions but..... http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198091278381/screenshots/ what are the missions im missing??

One of them is definitely the running around Avengers Tower and talking to people about the Avengers quest, the other might be the one based on the Maggia trivia or the crafting tutorial. Just walk around Avengers Tower and see if there's any NPC with the quest markers.

Tendo

Everytime I try a new character I feel guilty and redo the raft...I've done that place so many times now...WHY DO I KEEP GOING BACK THERE.

Also - holy alt itis. Gotta try em' all.

GManDH

Everytime I try a new character I feel guilty and redo the raft...I've done that place so many times now...WHY DO I KEEP GOING BACK THERE.

Also - holy alt itis. Gotta try em' all.
I DO THE SAME THING

A LOT! lol

There's a lot of Avengers members missing still, there's the entirety of cosmic Marvel sans Rocket Raccoon and Nova (which still is quite sizable), the Inhumans if you don't want to count them towards cosmic Marvel, the remaining Fantastic Four members, the entirety of magical/horror Marvel, the slightly lesser known teams such as Heroes for Hire or Defenders, and the more independent characters like Captain Britain or Namor.
And that doesn't even count playable villains.

Oh, the 90's definitely had great shows, but not Marvel shows lol.
I do agree on cat Beast, but it's less the design and rather what they did with the character that's upsetting. Although the design is also meh. At least it's better than the super recent blue gorilla.

One of them is definitely the running around Avengers Tower and talking to people about the Avengers quest, the other might be the one based on the Maggia trivia or the crafting tutorial. Just walk around Avengers Tower and see if there's any NPC with the quest markers.

the only person is the crafting guy and i really dont want to do that now. but ill try. thanks. ill keep u updated.

Been solo'ing Rocket Raccoon for now. Almost at Chapter 4, just need to beat the Hand Tower. Taking a short break atm, but I can't sleep anyway cause my pillow's still drying up, so might as well waste some more time on the game. :p

the only person is the crafting guy and i really dont want to do that now. but ill try. thanks. ill keep u updated.

The crafting tutorial is pretty easy. You'll need to find 3 tier 1 Nanotech thingies (the yellow crafting ingredients), then you fusion them into a tier 2, then you get 2 more crafting materials to cook up a potion and then you're done.

Also, Wonder Man is the guy you'll have to talk to for the Avengers trivia.

Edit: just logged back in and checked - first mission you're missing is the Crafting tutorial, and the last one is indeed the Avengers trivia. So yeah.

ElRenoRaven

Sunday.

$60 packs start Friday.

That was at least the plan prior to the game not actually going up yesterday. They haven't said anything different though.

They've said other packs will start on time. They haven't decided compensation for UP buyers but are planning to compensate us for our lost day somehow.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie

Preferences and opinions. Hulking 90's beast just looks cooler than the traditional beast for me, and i'm sure it's because of my nostalgia, but that's what x-men is about for a lot of people. I also never made any comment on the quality of the 90's cartoons, but most people in the world agree that the art direction of that era is the one that stuck the most. As for the comics being shit now and it being the 90's fault, you would have to go into more detail than that. Makes little sense from my POV, but i'm not huge into comics.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Preferences and opinions. Hulking 90's beast just looks cooler than the traditional beast for me, and i'm sure it's because of my nostalgia, but that's what x-men is about for a lot of people. I also never made any comment on the quality of the 90's cartoons, but most people in the world agree that the art direction of that era is the one that stuck the most. As for the comics being shit now and it being the 90's fault, you would have to go into more detail than that. Makes little sense from my POV, but i'm not huge into comics.

Not to get too nerdy with it, but that's pretty much the opposite of what's true. You're not huge into comics, so it's not that big of a deal and I doubt you care that much (why the hell would you) but the 70s era Kirby and the 80s style most famously done by Bryne (speaking Marvel here) are still being used. Most of the X-costumes rotate, but end up back pretty much at those designs. The 90s did have a big Loeb/Lee influence. But for the one that stuck the most, it's easily the late 70s to late 80s look for Marvel.

Not to say that I particularly like that style more than Jim Lee's style (but definitely more than Loeb) but it's not really accurate to say the style of the 90s stuck the most.

Preferences and opinions. Hulking 90's beast just looks cooler than the traditional beast for me, and i'm sure it's because of my nostalgia, but that's what x-men is about for a lot of people.

But "hulking 90s Beast" is the traditional Beast, it's the look he sported starting in the 70s up until the early 2000s.

As for the comics being shit now and it being the 90's fault, you would have to go into more detail than that. Makes little sense from my POV, but i'm not huge into comics.

tl;dr version (up front):
In the 90s comics tried to emulate the seriousness and darkness of the well-written Watchmen, but since it was the 90s, everything had to be EXTREEEEEEME, so it was way too over the top to the point of where it became absolutely stupid.

Or, the long version:
Up until the 80s, comics generally were a bit lighthearted, and mostly about the good, heroic guys beating the villains trying to destroy the world. They also often tackled real life issues (e.g. Stark's drinking problem, the relationship issues between the couples, the X-Men in general depicting minorities), quite often a bit over the top, but still containing solid messages.

In the 80s, it started to shift - darker anti-heroes like Punisher or Wolverine, and hard-to-place villains such as Venom started to make appearances and gain popularity. This was accompanied by some characters receiving a monstrous change - either in design or with their personalities. This was not a bad trend per se, it was another aspect of the media which was generally explored quite well.

It peaked in the late 80s with the Watchmen. That comic combined the classic super hero concept and twisted it quite a bit, placing them in a dark reality, with a dark story, filled with negative images like betrayal, broken relationships, and being persecuted. This comic was insanely well done (just about any comic fan will agree with me - I've never seen anyone say it was a bad comic, even those who didn't like it), and it was very successful.

However, it was also the dawn of the 90s. If the 90s were anything, then it was being shallow and fastpaced. No time or desire for deep storylines, everything had to be extreme - extreme over the top violence, extremely corny one-liners and pop culture references, extremely easy to forget stories. But the most important part was that every character had to have a grim and brutal backstory, and they had to be "cool".
The 90s were entirely one dimensional. Almost all the 90s characters that actually survived are one trick ponies that have one thing, do it extremely (c wut i did thar) well, but have no capability of developing beyond that - like Carnage, a character who solely was created because Venom was starting to develop into a new direction, and because people thought the hulking Anti-Spidey was cool, Marvel made a copy that could never could remotely change, never make any character development.

Add that with really shitty writers, and you got over the top messes with really stupid team-ups, shitty time travelling stories, or awfully written alternate universes (looking at you, Marvel 2099). There's a FEW books out there that are decent, but they are all infested with the same issue - the urge of having to be as shallow and dumb as possible, while also being EXTREEEEEEME.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Not to get too nerdy with it, but that's pretty much the opposite of what's true. You're not huge into comics, so it's not that big of a deal and I doubt you care that much (why the hell would you) but the 70s era Kirby and the 80s style most famously done by Bryne (speaking Marvel here) are still being used. Most of the X-costumes rotate, but end up back pretty much at those designs. The 90s did have a big Loeb/Lee influence. But for the one that stuck the most, it's easily the late 70s to late 80s look for Marvel.

Not to say that I particularly like that style more than Jim Lee's style (but definitely more than Loeb) but it's not really accurate to say the style of the 90s stuck the most.

Strictly talking x-men, This style isn't the most widely recognized and preferred?
X_MEN_Animated_Vol_1_Box_Art_by_david_nakayama.jpg

I Cant speak for comic enthusiasts, but everyone I know mainly fell in love with the x-men from the 90's cartoon/games/toys which all featured this art.

In fact, when you type in Beast into google the vast majority are of 90's beast and then there is this Cat monstrosity lol
top-50-avengers_beast.jpg

What's the dollar to gold conversion?

How much do all the heroes and costumes cost now?

1 $ = 100 G.
Prices for heroes and suits vary from 600 G to 2000 G.

Strictly talking x-men, This style isn't the most widely recognized and preferred?

I Cant speak for comic enthusiasts, but everyone I know mainly fell in love with the x-men from the 90's cartoon/games/toys which all featured this art.

Wolverine's blue/yellow suit, Beast's design and Magneto's design were from before the 90s.
Cyclops' suit is recognizable, but not the one most people would associate him with (his black jumpsuit would be that one).
Jean and Storm are hardly recognizable in those suits, and are more commonly associated with other ones (Jean normally with the Phoenix suit, and Storm in her black dresses).
Gambit was created in the 90s, so he doesn't really count.

The only one I can give you is Rogue here.

In fact, when you type in Beast into google the vast majority are of 90's beast

But that IS NOT "90s BEAST" DAMNIT. THIS DESIGN IS FROM THE 70s!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
X_MEN_Animated_Vol_1_Box_Art_by_david_nakayama.jpg

90s Xmen are definitely the most iconic to people who aren't comic fans. 90s was a pretty big boom. I'm with ya. Also MvC and MvC2 used a lot of 90s designs for good reason,.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
1 $ = 100 G.
Prices for heroes and suits vary from 600 G to 2000 G.

Wolverine's blue/yellow suit, Beast's design and Magneto's design were from before the 90s.
Cyclops' suit is recognizable, but not the one most people would associate him with (his black jumpsuit would be that one).
Jean and Storm are hardly recognizable in those suits, and are more commonly associated with other ones (Jean normally with the Phoenix suit, and Storm in her black dresses).
Gambit was created in the 90s, so he doesn't really count.

The only one I can give you is Rogue here.
The point wasn't that they were originated in the 90's, but I used that description to narrow down the design I was talking about and the original issue was that the beast IN GAME is the odd looking cat-man instead of the one I prefer.

I also think it depends on what type of people we are talking about, because mask cyclops is surely more recognizable among the people who read the comics, but to average person? Not so sure about that. I guess the average person might not be the one playing a marvel mmo arpg, but I can only speak for my preferences.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Because these games were made in the 90s?

Yep that's the reason :) There was a lot of media about the Xmen in general back then that used those designs and a lot of people grew up with that.

The point wasn't that they were originated in the 90's, but I used that description to narrow down the design I was talking about and the original issue was that the beast IN GAME is the odd looking cat-man instead of the one I prefer.

It's his recent design. It's the appearance he had since about 10 years now. That's why they went with it. That and because Marvel likely told them to utilize that version.

Classic Beast, the one you refer to as "90s Beast" (which he isn't, which is my main argument here in the first place - I am objecting to you naming the 70s design after the 90s), is the one almost everybody would prefer, as it's, well, the classic design we all have known and seen for 30 years before they changed it.
There's only one other variation which is 60s Beast, who just is a hairy bulky man with big feet.

If Beast becomes playable, you can bet your ass that he'll get the classic design from the 70s.

I also think it depends on what type of people we are talking about, because mask cyclops is surely more recognizable among the people who read the comics, but to average person? Not so sure about that. I guess the average person might not be the one playing a marvel mmo arpg, but I can only speak for my preferences.

I think it doesn't matter because the visor is a dead giveaway anyway. As I said, Cyclops' Jim Lee design is probably the most recognizable out of the 90s-based designs sans Rogue. But it's not the costume design that most people would attribute to him immediately. Of course, if you only ask people in their early/mid 20s or late teens who only ever watched the cartoon and maybe played MvC2, you'll probably get the Jim Lee design out of it, but these are not the only representation of "the average person".

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
It's his recent design. It's the appearance he had since about 10 years now. That's why they went with it. That and because Marvel likely told them to utilize that version.

Classic Beast, the one you refer to as "90s Beast" (which he isn't, which is my main argument here in the first place - I am objecting to you naming the 70s design after the 90s), is the one almost everybody would prefer, as it's, well, the classic design we all have known and seen for 30 years before they changed it.
There's only one other variation which is 60s Beast, who just is a hairy bulky man with big feet.

If Beast becomes playable, you can bet your ass that he'll get the classic design from the 70s.

Classic beast* We good now? lol

dat semantics.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think it doesn't matter because the visor is a dead giveaway anyway. As I said, Cyclops' Jim Lee design is probably the most recognizable out of the 90s-based designs sans Rogue. But it's not the costume design that most people would attribute to him immediately.

I always felt his most iconic bit was the fact he wore yellow panties. Not many people go that route.

ElRenoRaven

Call me nuts but I always liked the 90's cartoon Cyclops, Beast, Rogue, and Gambit, I don't know why but they just worked. In fact I'd say that's the only Cyclops design I've ever liked.

I always felt his most iconic bit was the fact he wore yellow panties. Not many people go that route.

Jim Lee Cyke is undoubtedly the most iconic, you're right. Personally, I think his best looks are when his head hair is showing.

Sorry, but the 90s bring a LOT of bad memories up in me, and the fact their comics were shitty only contributes to them. :p

No need to blow a gasket on the guy. People just say 90's Beast because that's what they know. And after suffering through 10+ years of the horrible Cat Beast, I'd rather people just think of Beast's classic appearance whenever they talk about him no matter what.

By the way, have they said anything about NPCs not being excluded from becoming full playable characters in the future? Or are they doomed as quest givers and background text for life?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Jim Lee Cyke is undoubtedly the most iconic, you're right. Personally, I think his best looks are when his head hair is showing.

No need to blow a gasket on the guy. People just say 90's Beast because that's what they know. And after suffering through 10+ years of the horrible Cat Beast, I'd rather people just think of Beast's classic appearance whenever they talk about him no matter what.

By the way, have they said anything about NPCs not being excluded from becoming full playable characters in the future? Or are they doomed as quest givers and background text for life?

They have said that npc characters can become full characters.

Also to Red arremer: I'm AKingNamedPaul on HealthConnection's stream lol I see you there all the time, hopefully we get to party up sometime and argue about the 90's

inky

If anything quest givers are more likely to become playable characters at some point. The fact that they have a model in game already is a good sign. A lot of the current characters used to be NPCs. War Machine, for example, is the current guild NPC, but according to the files he already has a couple of costumes in the game. Speaking of, if you go to the install folder (e.g.) C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Marvel Heroes\UnrealEngine3\MarvelGame\CookedPCConsole and you scroll down, you can see what costumes are currently in the game.

Moondrop

Banned
Jim Lee Cyke is undoubtedly the most iconic, you're right.

I doubt it. To me, the iconic Cyclops costume is #2 on your link. Worn for probably the longest time, worn during the most iconic X-men story (the Phoenix saga), worn on perhaps the most iconic X-men cover (Giant Size #1). But really this argument comes down to your age.

They have said that npc characters can become full characters.

If anything quest givers are more likely to become playable characters at some point. The fact that they have a model in game already is a good sign. A lot of the current characters used to be NPCs. War Machine, for example, is the current guild NPC, but according to the files he already has a couple of costumes in the game. Speaking of, if you go to the install folder (e.g) C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Marvel Heroes\UnrealEngine3\MarvelGame\CookedPCConsole and you scroll down, you can see what costumes are currently in the game.

Cool, thanks for the info. I knew about some NPCs becoming playable characters but I just assumed that was beta stuff being changed and worried that once the full game was out things were set in stone.

I doubt it. To me, the iconic Cyclops costume is #2 on your link. Worn for probably the longest time, worn during the most iconic X-men story (the Phoenix saga), worn on perhaps the most iconic X-men cover (Giant Size #1). But really this argument comes down to your age.

A strong case can certainly be made for that costume. I just think the vast majority of people who know of Cyclops picture him in the Jim Lee outfit.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie

Most people don't read comics though.

Moondrop

Banned
A strong case can certainly be made for that costume. I just think the vast majority of people who know of Cyclops picture him in the Jim Lee outfit.

Sorry, I won't get into arguments of what we think are in other people's heads. ;)

But please don't think I'm hating on the 90's; the cartoon theme song is my ringtone.

Is it Sunday yet?

I'd be shocked if they sold one costume at those prices.

Or maybe I shouldn't be, since I've played enough Avengers Alliance to know how insane some people are when it comes to overpriced marvel stuff.

Is upgrading the vendors/crafter worth it or should I just sell everything for credits?

(Played to level 15 in beta and it seemed credits had no use beyond buying the occasional medpack so I don't really know)

Is upgrading the vendors/crafter worth it or should I just sell everything for credits?

(Played to level 15 in beta and it seemed credits had no use beyond buying the occasional medpack so I don't really know)

Money isn't really worth anything so I'd sink it all in crafters because you can upgrade blues to purple and add stats to costumes

What's sad is I totally would if everything else was reasonable. I gladly plopped down $70 on Path of Exiles for cosmetics.

Yeah, over pricing their costumes and heroes will just stifle sales, such a mistake

inky

Yup lol, not spending a dime on costumes

Same. Iron Man + Starboost armor to a new player would be $35, Deadpool + Pirate would be $40! They are nuts. I think they went with the: 'price the highest possible first, then lower the price if needed' strategy. Business wise it makes more sense than launching too low, but free players will laugh at it and leave the game.

It's useful for alts. The higher you level vendors, the higher chance they have at selling you blue/purple loot. Crafter is super useful to level, because you at least want the costume affixes and upgrading items recipes.

Top Bottom