• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Risero

Banned
.Peter Rosas: If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things. Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? So our more technical players, all they want to do is triangle jump and that kind of stuff. Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing. Go ahead and try them out.

It's just the function that people are associating with the character, and there's no shortage of that. We made sure that all proper play styles can be represented with our current roster. The design team has been looking at that very closely. We wanted to make sure that if a legacy character doesn't happen to make the roster this time, that play style would still be represented. That somebody who has associated themselves with Magneto wouldn't be lost coming into this title.

No you stupid fuck, I like Magneto because he's MAG-FUCKING-NETO I don't give half a shit that Nova has a tridash now because I didn't watch 4 movies about Nova growing up. I don't love Wolverine because he has a dive kick, I like Wolverinr because he's the fucking Wolverine. This is why I hate pros other than Jwong. They see characters as nothing but balls of hitboxes and numbers. Remember how I said I was going to hold a public execution by guillotine? I wonder if they'll let me bring it to EVO

JayEH

No you stupid fuck, I like Magneto because he's MAG-FUCKING-NETO I don't give half a shit that Nova has a tridash now because I didn't watch 4 movies about Nova growing up. I don't love Wolverine because he has a dive kick, I like Wolverinr because he's the fucking Wolverine. This is why I hate pros other than Jwong. They see characters as nothing but balls of hitboxes and numbers. Remember how I said I was going to hold a public execution by guillotine? I wonder if they'll let me bring it to EVO

Calm down.

Neonep

One thing I noticed is that just like SFV they are leaning heavily into esports. This game is going to suffer just like SFV. I haven't heard anybody outside the pros really speak highly of this game.

BadWolf

One thing I noticed is that just like SFV they are leaning heavily into esports. This game is going to suffer just like SFV. I haven't heard anybody outside the pros really speak highly of this game.

Pros care about gameplay, the mainstream less so.

If it was about gameplay first and foremost then NRS games wouldn't be the best selling fighting games.

Risero

Banned
I would despise Mike Evans a lot less it was just honest and said "We can't use the X men due to legal shenanigans" because everyone knows that's the case but he wants to pretend the X men weren't important and the game is perfect

dbztrk

Damn bish!

I would despise Mike Evans a lot less it was just honest and said "We can't use the X men due to legal shenanigans" because everyone knows that's the case but he wants to pretend the X men weren't important and the game is perfect

It's probably something he can't go into detail about.

Risero

Banned
lol remember when everyone thought Rashid was a lock

Remember when we thought this game had a good roster? Remember when somebody leaked not one, but two Ace Attorney characters and some people believed it? Remember when even the most conservative character estimated expected 32 characters? Remember when we thought Captain Commando and Jin might finally come back? Remember when we thought there was Marvel writers working on the story mode? Remember when the one black character in the game wasn't arbitrarily locked behind a money wall?

Skilletor

How do you figure this?

If they really cared about esports, they would already be talking about how it'll be part of a tourney circuit next year. They've focused on assuring people they aren't making the same mistakes they made with SF5 and its launch. They've focused on talking about how they've made it more accessible for newer players, always talking about how the changed they've made will make for a better experience for casual players.

Neonep

Pros care about gameplay, the mainstream less so.

If it was about gameplay first and foremost then NRS games wouldn't be the best selling fighting games.

Yeah but at the end of the day presentation and first impressions matter. The impressions is where SFV fucked up. Also sales do matter and to have good sales you have to at least tap into casuals just a bit. Casuals like good graphics and playing with their favorite characters. This game is lacking both. They can't just rely on the FGC to carry this game, it's exactly what happened to SFV. Has SFV even sold 2 mil yet?

OK Combo so if that's Magneto is out

WHY IS SPENCER IN

I see you fool
blackbush_04.gif

We were all wrong. To me, another SF rep, Black Panther, Venom, Loki, another RE rep (not Nemesis), and a Netflix character were a given. I don't think I've ever been more off about a roster in any game.

BadWolf

Yeah but at the end of the day presentation and first impressions matter. The impressions is where SFV fucked up. Also sales do matter and to have good sales you have to at least tap into casuals just a bit. Casuals like good graphics and playing with their favorite characters. This game is lacking both. They can't just rely on the FGC to carry this game, it's exactly what happened to SFV. Has SFV even sold 2 mil yet?

Iirc SFV is at 1.6 million or thereabouts?

But yeah you're spot on, you need a lot more than just gameplay to appeal to casual fans, especially in this case since you have to account for Marvel fans as well. To expect this crowd to look past the negatives because of gameplay is simply unrealistic.

We were all wrong. To me, another SF rep, Black Panther, Venom, Loki, another RE rep (not Nemesis), and a Netflix character were a given. I don't think I've ever been more off about a roster in any game.

we've been bamboozled

I'll wait for the Year 2/Ultimate MvCI gimmick at this point, the demo was that bad

Neonep

Yeah, I thought it was a no brainer that Iron Fist and/or Daredevil would be in at launch with the Defenders hitting netflix in August. I guess that I was expecting too much.

sephi22

I wish I could see the future . That way I'd know if Magneto is going to be DLC and not get model swapped by Vision or some shit. If they really aren't going to add the Xmen as dlc then I'm never going to support this game.

But knowing both companies, they probably will let fan demand build up to breaking point and announce them as DLC then to bring on the $$$. Just like Sagat in season 3

Personal insults and threats of violence to devs is surely a healthy way to discuss this game.
Yes, I too unironically believe that guy will bring an actual guillotine to Evo.

Or maybe it's just an exaggeration to express frustration. Chill out pops.

Risero

Banned
OK Combo so if that's Magneto is out

WHY IS SPENCER IN

I see you fool

"Naw man fuck Phoenix Wright and Juri with their alive franchises, unique play styles, and huge fan followings. Trust me guys the character who the fans really want it a racially ambiguous character from a 10 year old game that flopped horribly with both critics and sales that absolutely nobody remembers whose only redeeming gameplay quality is a glorified air dash"

"You sure Peter? Well I guess YOU are the community member here, you would know what the fans want. Alright guys add Spencer to the roster"

That's basically how it went down in my head

Ryce

"Naw man fuck Phoenix Wright and Juri with their alive franchises, unique play styles, and huge fan followings. Trust me guys the character who the fans really want it a racially ambiguous character from a 10 year old game that flopped horribly with both critics and sales that absolutely nobody remembers whose only redeeming gameplay quality is a glorified air dash"
I know this isn't the point you're making, but oddly enough, Bionic Commando (2009) has outsold any single Ace Attorney title.

Neonep

How do you figure this?

If they really cared about esports, they would already be talking about how it'll be part of a tourney circuit next year. They've focused on assuring people they aren't making the same mistakes they made with SF5 and its launch. They've focused on talking about how they've made it more accessible for newer players, always talking about how the changed they've made will make for a better experience for casual players.

Making it "more accessible" has pretty much been a problem Capcom has had for some years now. I still don't understand why they keep trying to go this route. It damn near ruined Devil May Cry. Making it more accessible isn't the way to get casuals to purchase your games. Also there are a lot of casual gamers that bought games when Capcom didn't try this make them more accessible route and they did just fine.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Combo definitely all but saying that Magneto's not planned for DLC.

Or that they'll take an opportunity to rehaul his moveset to something more fitting for the character, like how many of the veterans have received. And let's be real, Magneto needs it a lot more than characters like Iron Man even did. UMvC3 was a step in the right direction, though.

I've no doubt X-men will be DLC, Magneto specifically though? I'm not sure, but he'd be right after Wolverine for me in series importance.

Skilletor

Making it "more accessible" has pretty much been a problem Capcom has had for some years now. I still don't understand why they keep trying to go this route. It damn near ruined Devil May Cry. Making it more accessible isn't the way to get casuals to purchase your games. Also there are a lot of casual gamers that bought games when Capcom didn't try this make them more accessible route and they did just fine.

That doesn't answer anything about them focusing on esports, and, imo, the concessions they've made have no impact on depth as a competitive player.

I honestly expected one of Gene or Asura to make it in.

That's another one. I was 100% sure Asura was going to be in. After reading that ukmetro interview, I was quite confident we'd be seeing a Doc Ock/Asura team-up of some sort.

I'm just looking at this as a whole right now. I definitely feel like the reception might have a lasting effect based on how widespread it is. You have typical Yipes interviews that are getting downvoted to hell, along with various other MVCI videos. A lot of people are really giving this game backlash right now and I'm not sure what can restore the optimism.

Between the E3 trailer, the story demo, and their overall approach to this game, I feel like this game has a huge mountain to overcome. I'd love to be wrong, but it seems like all positivity towards the game has turned to hate. Gameplay videos have helped to some extent, but not enough for many others.

Risero

Banned
Ryce as far as you know X men are still likely to be DLC right? Like I accepted that long ago, it's just Mike Evan and Combofiend's dishonesty and self praise that pisses me off

Yes, I too unironically believe that guy will bring an actual guillotine to Evo.

Or maybe it's just an exaggeration to express frustration. Chill out pops.

Or maybe I think making insults towards people developing the game who possibly visit this site kind of shitty and the last way to actually get them to hear your criticism?

Hey, atleast they preserved that Firebrand and Arthur playstyles for all the GoG fans, amirite?

I have no fucking clue why those losers are in the game

I have to imagine it's cause they're just Marvel 3 expats

what about scorpion

he already says "get over here" and whatnot

plus theyd get the marketing value of a game that actually sells

fuckin' brutal

Yeah but they could at least switch to his more classic look or the mustached version from rearmed 2.

I have to imagine they DLC costume that shit like they did for Marvel 3

Risero

Banned
Hey, atleast they preserved that Firebrand and Arthur playstyles for all the GoG fans, amirite?

Yes I'm sure that all 3 GnG fans are stoked to see their characters back

One of the first things we did was sit down to write the story. When we were thinking about the story we wanted to tell, as fans ourselves on both sides, on the Marvel side there's Mike Jones, an ex-Capcom guy. We're big Marvel fans, so we're sitting down to just like, "What crazy interactions do we want to see? What would happen if Docket, Dante, and Rocket came together? What would happen and who are these pairings that we want to see?" So from a storytelling perspective that also played into the character selection.

Yeah I'm so excited for the team between Matt Murdock and Phoenix Wright! Oh wait...

Then also we talked with Marvel very closely about their future roadmap, about what's gonna be happening. Your modern Marvel fan, maybe they don't even remember some of the X-Men characters, but they know some of the Guardians characters or Black Panther. You know what I mean?

Can't forget to shill the "X men are a relic of the past" narrative for daddy Ike Perlmutter

Captain Marvel may seem like a strange pick, but she's fantastic. She fits the gameplay. She fits the story, and they're gonna be really pushing her as a strong female lead all the way up into the movie. We're trying to take everything into account and choose the best characters.

Yep I've never seen a cosmic Marvel character who can fly and shoot orange lasers. Never in my life. Especially not as a newcomer to mvc3

Jawmuncher

That's another one. I was 100% sure Asura was going to be in. After reading that ukmetro interview, I was quite confident we'd be seeing a Doc Ock/Asura team-up of some sort.

I'm just looking at this as a whole right now. I definitely feel like the reception might have a lasting effect based on how widespread it is. You have typical Yipes interviews that are getting downvoted to hell, along with various other MVCI videos. A lot of people are really giving this game backlash right now and I'm not sure what can restore the optimism.

Between the E3 trailer, the story demo, and their overall approach to this game, I feel like this game has a huge mountain to overcome. I'd love to be wrong, but it seems like all positivity towards the game has turned to hate. Gameplay videos have helped to some extent, but not enough for many others.

With the general audience, Graphics and characters picks are gonna be a huge factor. Which thus far is something they've been lacking. When the biggest "fan favorites" are X and Black Panther as DLC there's a problem

Top Bottom