• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox Live cross-network (PSN and other networks) play

Wereroku

The implications here are pretty deep. They are pretty much throwing a fastball at Sony, now its either Sony says yes to it or not. Its not just about playing on the same servers, people would expect voice chat, messaging, etc across the platforms. That cant be an easy task... and now all eyes will be on Sony to commit to it, and MS has a 50/50 chance of not having to do anything at all besides with W10.

I gotta say, I would love both communities to be fused.. but I can understand if it doesnt end up so grandiose

Your wrong on some of that. Microsoft isn't opening XBL to 3rd parties. RL is going to function the same as it does now. There is no cross platform parties or voice chat. You have preset communication choices. However apparently you could run your own party system and voip and allow every platform to connect to that but PSN and XBL will never directly communicate. It's like using a third party moderator.

so how does this work on PC, do they have an extra option now?

like a check box with three options?
PC
PC/PS4
PC/XB1

No you can choice PC only but the others are just open matchmaking however if you have a PS4 player join right now it will only allow other PS4 players and vice versa. What Sony has to approve is them allowing all their platform into the same party as the XBO.

so how does this work on PC, do they have an extra option now?

like a check box with three options?
PC
PC/PS4
PC/XB1

Assuming Sony and Microsoft allow full crossplay everyone just gets thrown into the same player pool for matchmaking.

At first it will probably be console players being able to be matched with PC players and their console only.

All platforms already have the option to only play against their own platform.

so much hype in this thread...

i don't see cross platform play happening unless the game is small in scale like rocket league.

cross play will most likely involve PSN/PC or Xbox live/PC. I think Sony would prefer you play with the PC players on the PS4.

they share similarities but PSN and xbox live are not exactly the same. PS4 and xbox one run on different online infrastructures.

I think this will amount to nothing more than hype. sony already has the sales lead and larger online community so it doesn't have cater to MS anyway.

i don't see cross platform play happening unless the game is small in scale like rocket league.

cross play will most likely involve PSN/PC or Xbox live/PC. I think Sony would prefer you play with the PC players on the PS4.

they share similarities but PSN and xbox live are not exactly the same. PS4 and xbox one run on different online infrastructures.

I think this will amount to nothing more than hype. sony already has the sales lead and larger online community so it doesn't have cater to MS anyway.

HUH? Thats not exactly how it works. Most games are either peer to peer or the host is t he game companies servers. You dont play on ms servers or sony servers

Wereroku

But that doesn't matter PSN and XBL aren't talking to each other directly. You could have deeply integrated Crossplay if the dev wanted it but they would have to run their own VOIP and party services. EA could probably do that but I really only see this as being a nice feature for expanding the online life of games by having random matchmaking with the biggest pool possible.

WoolyNinja

I don't care about anything except the fact my beloved Rocket League is going to get even more people to play against! I'm already happy that my PS4 version can play against PC players, and I'll be extremely happy to also see the Xbox players as well!

That being said, I'm fairly terrible so please be gentle

MADGAME

KBAM vs controller!

Already happens on Steam and Origin. You might be surprised to learn that most gamers don't care what controller their opponent is using when they got beat in a fight. Also, if your game has proper skill matching, the best people at each scheme will play the best people at each scheme anyway. There are also already KBAM adapters for consoles that people use. The cow is already out of the barn and has been eating the pie off the windowsill.

We must live in different universes. The feedback I've seen is that absolutely people care if their opponent has an input advantage; to what degree is debatable but it exists. Can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't met many non-PC console players in my decades of gaming that want to use a k/m. I know they exist, but you aren't going to see some mass conversion if PC/console crossplay is implemented.

People care about this when playing competitive games.

Rembrandt

Banned
Can you still crossplay with those games though? Oh wait, I wonder why those games were crossplay...

Because some were GFWL titles? There were some that weren't. He asked for PC & 360 cross play titles, he didn't ask for stipulations. but i know walled garden and all.

but either way, Sony allowing PC/PSN crossplay doesn't automatically equate to them letting all developers allow direct PSN/XBL cross play in my eyes. but we'll see.

What about Sony, or Nintendo?

Both Sony and Nintendo have allowed cross-console and cross-platform play in the past. They do not care. They will not specifically do any of the heavy lifting to enable cross platform for you, but they also will not block you. They are not and have not been the roadblocks to this.

Eshop chess game isnt exactly proof they allow crossplay

I think this will all be up to publishers, maybe we will get some major announcements (cod) and some empty promises at E3

Fisty

Your wrong on some of that. Microsoft isn't opening XBL to 3rd parties. RL is going to function the same as it does now. There is no cross platform parties or voice chat. You have preset communication choices. However apparently you could run your own party system and voip and allow every platform to connect to that but PSN and XBL will never directly communicate. It's like using a third party moderator.

Ok that one single game exhibits your point well enough, but what about when say Destiny 2 comes out and Bungie could either do cross platform play if they built their own messaging and voip systems into the game, or jusy leave the communities apart and let the console handle the rest like usual? If we're going to get meaningful cross-platform play, the platform holders need to shake hands and allow the basic communication across platforms, which is probably a prohibitive amount of work. Im not saying we need a hybrid console, but cross-play would be useless without communication features for alot of the games that need it most

I have to say though, despite being the very last big company to drop their self-imposed rule of no cross-platform online play, something they absolutely did not have any intention of doing for the last several years, have somehow managed to spin it in a way that convinces some people that Sony needs to "get on the ball" and "allow cross platform play" as if they were the roadblock this entire time.

That's pretty damn ingenious really.

They knew which loyal fishies would bite and declare it revolutionary. LOL

FyreWulff

We must live in different universes. The feedback I've seen is that absolutely people care if their opponent has an input advantage; to what degree is debatable but it exists. Can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't met many non-PC console players in my decades of gaming that want to use a k/m. I know they exist, but you aren't going to see some mass conversion if PC/console crossplay is implemented.

People care about this when playing competitive games.

Much like when movies come out, only the hardcore are going to be considering what lense and framing style the director used. Most people are just there to watch the movie and have fun eating some popcorn.

Much like TVs that are out, only the hardcore think about color temp and interpolation.

The people that are actively thinking what control scheme their opponent is using are the same as the lense-usage-color-timing group. A hardcore subset, and not the majority. Yes, I agree some people care about it. But not something worth kiboshing cross platform play over.

This seems like a smart strategic move by Microsoft. If they can expand the online userbase for XBOne games (as compared with just playing against other XBOne owners), your average customer playing COD or Madden will be less likely to switch to PS4, and PC owners more likely to just buy a XBOne. Though the chances of Sony opening up to XBOne players seems really unlikely; there's no benefit for them.

MADGAME

Much like when movies come out, only the hardcore are going to be considering what lense and framing style the director used. Most people are just there to watch the movie and have fun eating some popcorn.

Much like TVs that are out, only the hardcore think about color temp and interpolation.

The people that are actively thinking what control scheme their opponent is using are the same as the lense-usage-color-timing group. A hardcore subset, and not the majority. Yes, I agree some people care about it. But not something worth kiboshing cross platform play over.

Well you must have some solid sources, numbers, and results to back up the claim that most gamers don't care about it, otherwise what your are saying is a straight up baseless claim with a retort that depends on unrelated similes.

I think it's a good thing, but leave the option to include/exclude PC players like others have suggested.

gypsygib

I really like how Spencer is trying to break down the barriers between gamers.

I hope Sony gets on board with this. If all 3rd party games work on PC and xbox, I won't be getting another Sony console.

This can't come soon enough. The only issue I have between getting a MP based game on PC or PS4 is that I have way more and closer friends on PS4. But I never want to deal with the graphical downgrade so I often end up not getting either version.

Wereroku

Ok that one single game exhibits your point well enough, but what about when say Destiny 2 comes out and Bungie could either do cross platform play if they built their own messaging and voip systems into the game, or jusy leave the communities apart and let the console handle the rest like usual? If we're going to get meaningful cross-platform play, the platform holders need to shake hands and allow the basic communication across platforms, which is probably a prohibitive amount of work. Im not saying we need a hybrid console, but cross-play would be useless without communication features for alot of the games that need it most

Well I explained that. The RL devs said directly if they wanted to they could run their own party system but they would have to build and host it themselves. It would probably also need to be approved by both parties. This would have nothing to do with PSN or XBL. Using Ubisoft as an example. You would sign into your Ubisoft ID and from then on you would use their party services to party up and communicate. What that would mean is that you would lose XBL/PSN services so you would have a separate friend list and the system wouldn't track who you played with. You never have to have psn and xbl talk to each other.

It'd be great if Bungie found a way for Destiny to support this somehow. They already have Bungie.net accounts that let you link both Playstation and Xbox accounts, maybe they could use those as a way to look up accounts across platforms?

They easily could but the problem is that it would not be seamless and they wouldn't be able to use the Sony and Microsoft api's to do it for them easily. It would probably be a giant pain in the ass to have truly cross platform play.

blamite

It'd be great if Bungie found a way for Destiny to support this somehow. They already have Bungie.net accounts that let you link both Playstation and Xbox accounts, maybe they could use those as a way to look up accounts across platforms?

WillyFive

I hope Sony gets on board with this. If all 3rd party games work on PC and xbox, I won't be getting another Sony console.

This can't come soon enough. The only issue I have between getting a MP based game on PC or PS4 is that I have way more and closer friends on PS4. But I never want to deal with the graphical downgrade so I often end up not getting either version.

If you were around for the N64/PS1 or PS2/GCN/Xbox days; games between consoles look by all intents and purposes identical nowadays. You couldn't even immediately tell the difference by looking at a non-labeled screenshot. You should have gotten the game to play with your friends.

This seems like a smart strategic move by Microsoft. If they can expand the online userbase for XBOne games (as compared with just playing against other XBOne owners), your average customer playing COD or Madden will be less likely to switch to PS4, and PC owners more likely to just buy a XBOne. Though the chances of Sony opening up to XBOne players seems really unlikely; there's no benefit for them.

Exclusive games just will not have crossplay, forget it, they need the exclusive dot points to sell hardware. For example the best a Halo player could hope for is the X1 Halo population allows the first buyers of Win10 H5 or MCC, if they were a thing, to have a population to play against right away.

PR-wise it makes MS shine where Sony won't lift a finger and exclusive titles will remain just that anyhow. Nintendo doesn't even have the third party titles etc so not worth mentioning. In reality this is just MS positioning themselves internally for PC/X1 unification with some smart PR to boot.

FyreWulff

Well you must have some solid sources, numbers, and results to back up the claim that most gamers don't care about it, otherwise what your are saying is a straight up baseless claim with a retort that depends on unrelated similes.

I think it's a good thing, but leave the option to include/exclude PC players like others have suggested.

I have telemetry, but can't share it due to NDA. *shrug*

And yes, an option to select controllers is good.

Bizzquik

Um...what?

I bet Activision called up Microsoft, Sony, and Valve within five minutes of seeing the press release to gauge a possible any-system Call of Duty.
For third-parties, offering players the chance to connect with more of their friends to game is just the thing to jumpstart sales.

consoul

This is a clever move from Microsoft, who have nothing to lose from it.

Sony, on the other hand, have nothing to gain from opening up cross-platform play with XBL.

If you were in charge of the dominant console platform and knew that people were buying it because it's what their friends already had, would you give away that advantage and allow people to buy your competitor's console and play with their friends on your network? Of course you wouldn't.

PSN and XBL together? Not gonna happen.

FyreWulff

As far as I can tell from their GDC talks and so on, Destiny's entire backend is already platform agnostic - to the point they could technically move whole characters between platforms if they really wanted to, but can't due to first party stuff. They already do this when you're playing on 360/One and PS3/PS4. Hell, I've even taken my raid checkpoint from PS4 to PS3. It's pretty cool stuff.

Other MMOS on PSN and PC already have platform-neutral characters or allow you to transfer characters if they don't.

An important thing to remember is that Rocket league works because they have things in place already to ease the connectivity between platforms. Purchases are made separately for every platform. There is no voice or text communication between platforms(only quickchat) and we cannot see each others Avatars. Sony and Microsoft have a lot of rules in place to make sure people on their networks have a controlled environment. Rocket league was a perfect fit because it's not very dependent on interaction.

Montresor

But Sony has been pro cross platform from the beginning. The only hold out was Microsoft.

This is still an awesome announcement worthy of "Based Spencer" proclamations but let's not rewrite history and pretend like Sony is the reason a game like FFIV or Rocket League were not on Xbox or were not cross platform on Xbox initially.

So, let's get excited, but let's not spread misinformation.

This is a clever move from Microsoft, who have nothing to lose from it.

Sony, on the other hand, have nothing to gain from opening up cross-platform play with XBL.

If you were in charge of the dominant console platform and knew that people were buying it because it's what their friends already had, would you give away that advantage and allow people to buy your competitor's console and play with their friends on your network? Of course you wouldn't.

PSN and XBL together? Not gonna happen.

you said it better than I could.

i think if there is any crossplay it will always involve the PC and be limited to smaller scaled games.

i imagine it will take alot of work to optimize the online for both networks for bigger AAA multipltform games unless Sony and MS jointly create an online network for use with their consoles. i don't think it's going to happen.

lol wtf. ok, well I hope you refrained from buying MS consoles over the years for the same reason.

Cuburt

Cool idea but we'll see if it pans out.

Microsoft has more to gain from this than Sony and even if both are on board, I imagine somehow Nintendo gets left out in the rain again.

LifEndz

Cool idea but we'll see if it pans out.

Microsoft has more to gain from this than Sony and even if both are on board, I imagine somehow Nintendo gets left out in the rain again.

Yup, which is why I don't think Sony agrees to this. Not sure how much mileage MS could get off Sony being the bad guy in that scenario.

Top Bottom