• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft reveals Augmented Reality kit, presumably for Xbox One

Nzyme32

The first dev kits will be available in spring according to wire. If we take Kinect as a reference, the revealed it first at E3 with short démos and concept videos, then showed the finished product one year later, and it reached the market a few months later.
So I wouldn't expect the thing to release before 18 months from now, but not much more either to fit in the "Windows 10 time frame".

I'd argue it demands a whole lot more development time for apps than Kinect ever has. They are pretty different

Durante

Leaving the living room is actually the best part of AR! Walk through the streets of your city, see information flying by or dress your own self with virtual clothes others can see. People really should read some Cyperpunk books to get an idea of the future.
Sure, those are viable application areas for AR.

I don't see how they make AR better for gaming than VR though.

At least in the short to medium term (that is, the next 5 years) I think VR will be a far more important technology for gaming.

Chobel

Leaving the living room is actually the best part of AR! Walk to the streets of your city, see information flying by or dress your own self with virtual clothes others can see. People really should read some Cyperpunk books to get an idea of the future.

I mean it's really practical and all, but that's not gaming though.

Lemon King

Neo Member
Leaving the living room is actually the best part of AR! Walk through the streets of your city, see information flying by or dress your own self with virtual clothes others can see. People really should read some Cyperpunk books to get an idea of the future.

As it stands, AR tech like HoloLens stands a higher chance of being adopted and refined by Defense to reduce weight / equipment before full public adoption.

Noobcraft

You're still limited to real world, and this case you're limited to whatever places you can reach.
Any reason I couldn't use an Xbox One controller and play an FPS with the ground moving across my livingroom floor? Or a racer with the interior of the car floating in my living room? Or a Forzavista car, say a Bugatti veyron that I can walk around and interact with? What's the limitation here?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Why aren't you limited by your living room? Okay ya you can leave it, but you're still limited to your physical surroundings.

but you're not. you're thinking the world can't move or adapt to your surroundings.

to use a VR thing: you use a gamepad.... strictly the left stick to shift your movement but you can still look and "touch" things around it.

great thing about AR is you don't necessarily need to move, the world is mapped to your surroundings but it can paint it like VR... but since the game is taking cues from environment instead of accelerometers and gyros... you get a more realistic 1:1 experience. and you can interact with your hands a hell of a lot better.... because you can actually see them.

All this console vr tech is a waste of time. From what I have read, VR games need to running at 1080p (or beyond) at a constant 60 FPS in order to give the user a good experience. I think VR will only be successful on PC

I have no idea how anything in the teaser video is possible right now. We're limited on so, so many fronts.
So what's the thing doing all the heavy calculations for lens? separate device?
This being issue #1, with hardware questions at every turn. Google Glass is a vaguely-functional device that's not caught on and it's an order of magnitude less invasive and is much less ambitious.

Playing Minecraft built on top of the objects in your living room? Talk to me in 20 years. We're just now, finally, on the leading edge of producing decent VR for public consumption. The kind of AR boasted here is much trickier.
Any reason I couldn't use an Xbox One controller and play an FPS with the ground moving across my livingroom floor? Or a racer with the interior of the car floating in my living room? Or a Forzavista car, say a Bugatti veyron that I can walk around and interact with? What's the limitation here?
Our current computing technology.

Noobcraft

Playing Minecraft built on top of the objects in your living room? Talk to me in 20 years. We're just now, finally, on the leading edge of producing decent VR for public consumption. The kind of AR boasted here is much trickier.
I already have a 3D depth sensing camera in my living room with Kinect, that in conjunction with an AR headset with good motion tracking should be able to create great results.

Alx

I'd argue it demands a whole lot more development time for apps than Kinect ever has. They are pretty different

That's true. But there are also many simple apps that can be done in that timeframe. One year is more than enough to create AR e-mail clients, video chat, virtual screens etc.
Anyway we can be (almost) sure it won't be 2015 anyway, and since Win10 releases in summer and is supposed to start shorter cycle, I'd guess Win11 could come 2 years later.

Metal B

But that's not gaming. I think AR has some neat applications, but gaming is not one of them IMO.

Sure, those are viable application areas for AR.

I don't see how they make AR better for gaming than VR though.

At least in the short to medium term (that is, the next 5 years) I think VR will be a far more important technology for gaming.

Don't get me wrong. VR will be the better experience for interactive mediums. AR will never top that. There are some possibilities, where AR-Games can be very existing, but they will always be abound playing with reality or as a side activity, while you need your attention in the real world.
My point is, that it is a waste to hold AR ONLY in the living room, since VR can do everything much better there. AR should be about bring the virtual world outside and expending your view of reality. I can see a future, were the virtual world will always be around us.

somesang

but you're not. you're thinking the world can't move or adapt to your surroundings.

to use a VR thing: you use a gamepad.... strictly the left stick to shift your movement but you can still look and "touch" things around it.

great thing about AR is you don't necessarily need to move, the world is mapped to your surroundings but it can paint it like VR... but since the game is taking cues from environment instead of accelerometers and gyros... you get a more realistic 1:1 experience. and you can interact with your hands a hell of a lot better.... because you can actually see them.
Damn, dude. I get that you're excited but a lot of your arguments about VR can be used with AR. There's a place for both. Don't get all fanboy. You're a great poster with good opinions.

DevilFox

It's definitely too soon for these things in my opinion, it sounds a lot like the Kinect tech demo if not even that old Natal trailer but I would not mind being wrong.

Raist

Banned

Your capacity to not puke.

golem

I don't get how the Wired person experienced Mars. Do they mean that the simulation of the planet took up their fov? If The glasses are capable of AR and sort-of-VR that sounds exciting

Vintage

While this is probably not focused on gaming, it can be quite useful, as in you can still play games on your TV as normal, but area around TV may be covered with additional info, like minimap or enemy location.

However, this thing looks expensive, but I still want it now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't get how the Wired person experienced Mars. Do they mean that the simulation of the planet took up their fov? If The glasses are capable of AR and sort-of-VR that sounds exciting

I think rendered images can take up the entire display if the application wants, but I'm not sure they've said what the FoV of the display is (vs the cameras), and obviously it's not closed to peripheral 'leakage' around the screen from the world around you.

So a certain level of immersion would be possible. Ultimately one HMD could do both AR and VR but design wise this doesn't look like its particularly prioritizing immersive experience.

Alx

Is this vr or just augmented reality?

It's augmented reality. The difference is simple :
virtual reality = everything you see is fake
augmented reality = you keep seeing the real world, with additional information on top ("augmenting" it)

Chobel

World adapting to your surroundings, is still limited to your surroundings. In VR you can create any type of world you want. And no, just because a world is fake it doesn't mean it's worse experience than "realistic world"

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Damn. This kind of device has the potential to be the next big thing, smartphones big.

red720

HAHA, NERDS!! Focusing on AR rather than VR seems to me that the researchers who work for Microsoft have spent a lot more time in university CS labs than playing games. Which you would kind of hope would be the case I guess.

Bsigg12

As a standalone product, it seems like it'll be pretty cool. I like the idea of it and I'm interested in the impressions coming out later today.

Pair this with an Xbox One and we could have something special on our hands since the Xbox One isn't doing any of the processing for the Hololens. I think being able to move HUD elements around the screen or be able to really bring something out of a screen would be interesting. I wonder how well the system does at masking things around you entirely since it's manipulating light and if it could be used in a VR capability. I guess we'll have to wait for GDC and E3 to really find out.

Can't wait to give one a go once they start getting them out in public.

I think for business etc it will be great. But not for games.

Idk, imagine a 3d platformer that grows out of your surroundings... or new board game style games... or final fantasy tactics on your coffee table... or a procedurally generated version of PT where you walk around your house.

It's augmented reality. The difference is simple :
virtual reality = everything you see is fake
augmented reality = you keep seeing the real world, with additional information on top ("augmenting" it)

Yeah yeah i know, but someone told me that this worked as both Lol. I was just looking for a confirmation that i was right and he was wrong, thanks

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I think for business etc it will be great. But not for games.
Yes, I meant in a bigger sense than just gaming. Mainstream. But even for gaming, 'casual games' are going to be HUGE for this kind of device among kids.

This, is basically what I imagine future smartphones would be. We're still far from that future (or maybe not that far away), but this is a step in that direction.

Quick primer for the layperson:

VR: Allows the user to experience what it might be like to visit other worlds
AR: Allows the user to experience what it might be like to have a visitor

EBE

why are people saying this isnt good for gaming? i could easily imagine characters existing outside of the tv screen - maybe something like a mass effect could have its conversations be done with holograms. or something like a kingdom for keflings type game have its little minature people spill out over your screen and into your living room for you to interact with. or have other elements be present in the real world - maybe a kinect sports game where a tennis ball flies out of your screen toward you, creating a 3d effect

Top Bottom