• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Sony should probably begin getting serious about competing with Microsoft. Cerny said that the system was designed with price-cuts in mind, so it may be time to begin rolling that out. Being the most powerful and popular console will only get you so far if your competition is routinely $50-70 cheaper with solid first-party offerings.

360 outsold PS3 when PS3 debuted at $600. PS4 outsold Xbox1 when it was $100 cheaper. Now the Xbox is cheaper, and it's leading in sales. So basically whatever console is the cheapest between the two will sell the best.

Duxxy3

Sandwich technique.

Good news about November sales today. Bad news about October sales Thursday. Good news about something on Friday.

Toki767

I've seen multiple people say this.

Can one of you explain, by what standard or view, this means "nothing"?

I'm pretty sure it would mean a lot to any company on earth to triple sales of something over any period of time.

Because they're probably talking about shipped, not sold to customers.

Rurunaki

Unfortunately most non-affiliated civilians (who I assume make up a large portion of GAF) will not be privy to that context. Some people will take advantage of that for the delicious meltdown feedback (though I think this case may be to show how easy it is for Microsoft to push 'sold in' numbers rather than evidence of failure to 'sell-through').

Though I must say, I'm not sure even with that taken into account in how there's that many Titanfall bundles. I thought those were no longer being 'produced'. Also not sure how big of a permanent military presence is to warrant much of a console purchase there versus Navy/Marines passing through for training/deployments who are likely to purchase at their permanent duty stations/homes.

That's what I thought as well. However, I still see them regulartly at Bestbuy even the one that comes with the "Titan Statue." I guess people didn't take a liking to Titanfall here in Honolulu.

Ha ha, oh wow. I do love these comical spins they put on this data.

"We're very proud to announce we've consistently been selling more than the competition since our price cut*!"

*Based on internal data. Shipped to stores. Price cut was 10 days ago.

100k win in favour of MS for Nov.

50k-75k in favour of MS for Dec.

That's how I see it playing out the next 2 months.

If that is all they out sell Sony by Sony not going to give a fuck.
Sony already ahead in the US by a million and did not have to price cut and bundles games like crazy to get it done .

RoKKeR

I'd say they can whittle that gap down to ~850K by the end of 2014.

But none of that will matter because Sony will widen it again leading up to holiday 2015.

The bundle or the game?

The bundle was limited, so I doubt that made a difference.

The game I can see selling in the 300K-500K range in the US.

Bundle was limited, sure, but they sold out of it which is a good sign at least.

cakely

360 outsold PS3 when PS3 debuted at $600. PS4 outsold Xbox1 when it was $100 cheaper. Now the Xbox is cheaper, and it's leading in sales. So basically whatever console is the cheapest between the two will sell the best.

Price is the only factor? That must be why the Wii U is doing so well.

10 million shipped still sounds way off from estimates of sell through which aren't too behind shipments numbers right? Channel stuffing for the holidays I guess?

Raist

Banned
I've seen multiple people say this.

Can one of you explain, by what standard or view, this means "nothing"?

I'm pretty sure it would mean a lot to any company on earth to triple sales of something over any period of time.

I'm sure they sold a very significant amount of consoles the week before the price was cut.

pr0cs

All I know is that it's nice to see the manufacturers fighting for consumer's money.
I don't really care what platform you prefer, when they're doing everything they can to get your money, (price drops, game bundling, network access card bundling, free controllers, etc) then everyone wins.

I didn't expect to have both consoles so soon but the XBO deals have been too good to ignore.
Now I can only be a partial console peon, owning both machines and picking the best titles for each platform.. like I did last gen.

Grady

Considering everything they have going for them over the last month i would sure hope they win November. Ps4 has no big exclusives this holiday? or am i missing something?

$399 won't cut it anymore.

PS4 was designed for quick price cuts.

Now would be the time to CUT THE PRICE.

PS4 is (as of right now) still selling at a healthy pace at $399. Sony is outpacing the competition month-by-month worldwide. They are leading in the US, which is MS' home turf. Each month the gap widens.

Until PS4 sales start to slow significantly, why in the hell would you, as a business, price drop? Demand is still there- even with XBO having price drops, bundles with pack-in games, gift cards, free months of XBL, etc.
Yes, PS4 is designed for quick cuts, but why would you cut profit when the system is still hot?

vpance

I will be shocked, stunned, and dumbfounded if MS doesn't win Nov/Dec. They are selling the console for effectively $240 at Walmart BF. Two Hundred Forty US dollars.

Jeesus fuck, it's a race to the bottom. Those prices have to stick or sales will flatline come January.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Look at it this way (i just made these numbers up)

Week 0 (pre-price drop) - sold 100k
Week 1 + Week 2 - sold 310k

So stagnating at the same Week 0 sales would give them 200k in the Week 1+2 period. It's pretty genius to compare 2 weeks to 1.

B.O.O.M

Sounds about right.

There's been a lot of positive buzz around the XB1 since the price cuts started happening.

NA is still up for grabs then gen.

100k win in favour of MS for Nov.

50k-75k in favour of MS for Dec.

That's how I see it playing out the next 2 months.

But those are in the grand scheme of things, small leads. PS4 outsold the XBone by an amount greater than those combined just in September alone. Not sure why this would mean they are fucked

If this year is preseason; then, what was last year? :(

The NBA Lockout equivalent of video games

tebunker

Banned
So it's a pr about how they shipped a lot of units to us retailers in the weeks leading up to the biggest shopping season in one of the biggest Economies....

Right, and the world is round and water is wet.

I mean is would expect no less with the type of deals they are offering.

Make the press release after you put up the numbers. Honestly they gain nothing with these prs

My end of year sales guess. (Sold to customers)

PS4: 16 - 17 million
X1: 10 - 11 million

Whaddaya think GAF? Too high or too low?

10807917_10152839517567179_2073199312_n.jpg

10751909_10152839545167179_1272143793_n.jpg

This was taken here in Hawaii early this Morning at a Navy Exchange Center.

Okay this makes sense now.....the channel stuffing is real.

orochi91

Until PS4 sales start to slow significantly, why in the hell would you, as a business, price drop? Demand is still there- even with XBO having price drops, bundles with pack-in games, gift cards, free months of XBL, etc.
Yes, PS4 is designed for quick cuts, but why would you cut profit when the system is still hot?

Sony has an opportunity to absolutely bury their main competitor.

Why would they not take advantage of that?

But those are in the grand scheme of things, small leads. PS4 outsold the XBone by an amount greater than those combined just in September alone. Not sure why this would mean they are fucked

I know how little an MS victory may be in the grand scheme of things.

I just want my console of choice to remain undefeated in the NPDs since they're winning everywhere else lol

When I say they are fucked in the next 2 months, I mean with regards to winning streak, not the overall gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom