• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hawaii base is also interesting (where that image came from, purportedly). I've been to one of them (I think there are more- I went to the Air Force base), and there's a GameStop on the damn base right across from the Exchange.

That's the case for most bases I've been to around the country. Lejeune just moved their GameStop a few blocks from it's original location next to the MCX. A lot of primary base PXs have GameStop within their building next to the GNC shops. And I remember the Virginia Beach NEX well when I was there in February, though I think that was one of the rare cases where I didn't come across a GameStop on base (that ice storm hitting may have distracted me from it though).

PX/NEX/MCX/AF exhange are good for the lack of taxes on purchases and thus good for consoles/new releases, but GameStop can often be cheaper for new games a few months later and in selection across the board. It's an interesting system, but it does spread the potential revenue a bit thin depending on what location has the better hook and/or presence.

Stare-Bear

Banned
I will be shocked, stunned, and dumbfounded if MS doesn't win Nov/Dec. They are selling the console for effectively $240 at Walmart BF. Two Hundred Forty US dollars.

People still need to want the product. Xbox isn't cool anymore. They don't need another bundle, they need to change the brand image. They're message to consumer is so unclear. Yes we have Kinect but no we're not making any games for it.

Because they're probably talking about shipped, not sold to customers.
Because listening to NPD PR is like two kindergarteners getting in a fight with an adult in the room, getting the story from one of the kids as opposed to both and more importantly the adult, and calling it a day.

Edit: Oops. Wrong person. Guy you're replying to.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sony has an opportunity to absolutely bury their main competitor.

Why would they not take advantage of that?
Sony needs the money they can get from the $399 price point. They'll want to hold off on a cut as long as they can, especially if they're maintaining strong sales and a strong overall lead.

360 outsold PS3 when PS3 debuted at $600. PS4 outsold Xbox1 when it was $100 cheaper. Now the Xbox is cheaper, and it's leading in sales. So basically whatever console is the cheapest between the two will sell the best.

Only in the U.S. and maybe UK. PS3 won Europe despite the higher price.

jackdoe

Their competitor is giving away a free copy of CoD AW or AC Unity along with a $50 price drop. I think Sony would rather "lose" November and December and keep profits from any potential CoD AW or AC Unity copies sold to new console buyers.

EGM1966

That's some amusing spin right there. Not sure I've ever seen "almost shipped" numbers pushed before. Love the leading for "two weeks" also.

Still, joking aside, MS seem to be throwing everything at winning November NPD and must be spending a fortune on bundles and retailer deals by the looks of things. If you want one you're clearly going to get a good deal right now.

My end of year sales guess. (Sold to customers)

PS4: 16 - 17 million
X1: 10 - 11 million

Whaddaya think GAF? Too high or too low?

Now way X1 sell 10 -11 million to customer unless NOV and DEC for them huge .
When i say huge i talking about 1.5 to 2 million each month .
PS4 can reach those numbers .

Sarobi

Banned
[Insert comment about sales gap closing and US belonging to Xbox]

Anyway! These bundle prices they have going on are crazy good. I can't imagine what would happen if it didn't outsell PS4 in Nov/Dec

Heres what I think is going on.

X1 isn't selling as well as they are hoping through the retail channel.
They won't win NPD

So

They need to create mindshare that the brand is successful ahead of the results.
Hence this crazy spinning.

Funny it reminds me of Sony last gen.

FuturusX

PS4 is (as of right now) still selling at a healthy pace at $399. Sony is outpacing the competition month-by-month worldwide. They are leading in the US, which is MS' home turf. Each month the gap widens.

Until PS4 sales start to slow significantly, why in the hell would you, as a business, price drop? Demand is still there- even with XBO having price drops, bundles with pack-in games, gift cards, free months of XBL, etc.
Yes, PS4 is designed for quick cuts, but why would you cut profit when the system is still hot?

Agreed. Bundles are the way to combat MS and it's panic stricken 'lets make a deal' marketing. $399 is fine.

I'd rather see a new model ( slim + quieter ) at $349 next year.

shandy706

I'm just razzing you. That was what everyone was saying last holiday though - "But these shops paid for them right!"

It saddens me that Nintendo's hardware...and the Vita for Sony (love that system) crashed like they did.

The PS4 and X1 have both been selling better than I would have believed they would.

Daemul

You are on a video game forum.

post-28035-youre-very-good-you-you-unders-HcoL.gif

I will give a health warning that it's plausible that the press release is accurate and that the Xbone has sold more in the past fortnight, considering that said past fortnight was mostly November, and hence wouldn't be covered in tomorrow's NPDs.

Still blatantly a distraction, though.

jedimike

Okay this makes sense now.....the channel stuffing is real.

You guys all realize that retailers actually order the product right? It's not like Microsoft can just randomly ship pallets of Xboxen to retailers...

Now MS certainly offered a sweetheart deal for Black Friday shopping but retailers order what they think they'll sell.

omonimo

Banned
From a retail prospective, most stores have been selling out of their XB1 bundles very fast and MS is restocking them. The only way Sony "wins" Nov. is if they send a shit ton of units to sell on Black Friday and I mean a crazy amount.
Tales from my ass site?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Reposting since it went at the bottom of page 7, and this thread is surely going fast :lol

The response to this wave of blockbuster game releases and new bundles has been amazing, and sales have skyrocketed since the new price took effect on Nov. 2. Compared to the previous week, Xbox One sales in the US have more than tripled, which is exciting as more and more friends will be playing together this holiday. As we head into the busy holiday season Xbox One led generation 8 console sales in the US for the past two weeks. Shortly, we will have sold in to retailers more than 10 million Xbox One consoles.

Given the take-away, I should assume that this means

November sales (Past two weeks) = 3x sales for last week before the Holiday deal.

Right?

In the case, wouldn't that mean that, possibly, PS4 wasn't that behind in the same period?

P.S. And yes, put me in the camp "They're saying this due to October NPD results". Actually, I think not just due to losing another month to Sony, but because the sales possibly saw a consistent drop compared to September.

Toki767

They won't win NPD

So

They need to create mindshare that the brand is successful ahead of the results.

And most gaming sites reporting probably aren't going to question it and go with Microsoft sold almost 10 million.

hwateber

They won't win NPD

So

Yup, the timing of this screams "preemptive NPD PR". So they shipped a lot of units right before the holiday rush. Water is wet

Chobel

Price cut is a one way ticket to increase sale and gain momentum, you usually don't use it if you're in good position since, you can't use it (usually) again when you actually need it.

vpance

They won't win NPD

So

Lol, welcome to every month of this year!

RayMaker

Banned
Maybe I'll get un juniored afterall.lol

So 10mill shipped to retailers i'am guessing about 9mil sold to actually customers?

I dont know what sony's latest sales are around 14mill? MS are certainly catching Up.

There is no clear winner by any stretch of the imagination. Price,awareness and games are what matters as this sales spike has shown.

I have to say MS seem to be advertising more in the UK, I dont watch tv and use adblock so where adds can reach me is limted, but MS still get to me, I have heard an assasins creed xbox ad on spotify multiple times and have seen COD:AW xbox adverts on bustops in my little english town. MS are fighting.

Usobuko

Banned
I remember there was also a similar thing that Microsoft said/done before a certain month NPD but I can't recall what is it.

cakely

I will give a health warning that it's plausible that the press release is accurate and that the Xbone has sold more in the past fortnight, considering that said past fortnight was mostly November, and hence wouldn't be covered in tomorrow's NPDs.

Still blatantly a distraction, though.

Exactly. The two weeks they're talking about includes the last week of October NPDs and the first week of November NPDs.

This was expected following a price drop and now the numbers are dropping even more. Closer to sub $300 for the xbone. That shows that xbone was doing terrible. If Sony would actually do a good deal at Black Friday, I'm pretty sure they will outsell the xbone.

BPoole

I'm glad to hear this actually. More and more I feel like Sony doesn't deserve their place right now since their first party is so weak.

EGM1966

360 outsold PS3 when PS3 debuted at $600. PS4 outsold Xbox1 when it was $100 cheaper. Now the Xbox is cheaper, and it's leading in sales. So basically whatever console is the cheapest between the two will sell the best.

Not at all. PS3 trailed 360 in US and UK almost from the get go. It never caught up anywhere it trailed 360 (US and UK) irrespective of price point.

Conversely it outsold the 360 pretty much everywhere else from the get go and at a higher price too.

The places where PS3 always outsold 360 balanced out where 360 always outsold PS3.

Sorry to pick on you but people really need to get their facts straight on the whole "caught up" and "price" angle. Not saying price doesn't help, it does, but last gen certainly didn't have the cheapest console selling the most. In fact in US PS3 often ended up cheaper than 360 with deals yet never outsold it.

The correlation you're making is overall false I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom