• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

le.phat

I should have clarified.

I'm talking about US.

WW Sony have got this gen on lockdown, I agree with you on that.

US is up in the air because MS has been going all out, prepping for Nov./Dec.

So you think microsoft will outsell sony by a million this year ?

NEX/CEX (or whatever the Army one is) always tend to stuff consoles. Hell, the one in Virginia Beach used to have a ton of Vitas at a time for the longest time. Heck, it still had a ton of PSPgos (and you're damn right I bought one when they cleared it for $40) a year after Vita came out.

I'm unsurprised that there's a ton of them.

Unfortunately most non-affiliated civilians (who I assume make up a large portion of GAF) will not be privy to that context. Some people will take advantage of that for the delicious meltdown feedback (though I think this case may be to show how easy it is for Microsoft to push 'sold in' numbers rather than evidence of failure to 'sell-through').

Though I must say, I'm not sure even with that taken into account in how there's that many Titanfall bundles. I thought those were no longer being 'produced'. Also not sure how big of a permanent military presence is to warrant much of a console purchase there versus Navy/Marines passing through for training/deployments who are likely to purchase at their permanent duty stations/homes.

B.O.O.M

I should have clarified.

I'm talking about US.

Ok fair enough but again, by how big of a margin you think they will win? Because given the measures they had to take in order to win the result should justify it yes? If sony gets outsold by like 10k I doubt they will give a shit, for example.

orochi91

I was just at my local best buy in the Toronto area and there were only a couple of Xbox ones left and halo was sold out. There were stacks of ps4's but I don't know if maybe they just got them in.

Sounds about right.

There's been a lot of positive buzz around the XB1 since the price cuts started happening.

NA is still up for grabs then gen.

Ok fair enough but again, by how big of a margin you think they will win? Because given the measures they had to take in order to win the result should justify it yes? If sony gets outsold by like 10k I doubt they will give a shit, for example.

100k win in favour of MS for Nov.

50k-75k in favour of MS for Dec.

That's how I see it playing out the next 2 months.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Sorry to bring this up here, but what did Aquamarine get banned for?
I think it was self-imposed because people were taking the leaks for granted (some quite arrogantly), and there was probably the added pressure of what might happen if she was caught by NPD authorities.

Kuni

Higher than I thought for sure... even if it is shipped. Congrats to MS, quite the turnaround.

I don't forget so easily personally. I'll give it some more time to see how they do now, if they keep doing whats best for the customer then one day I'll have my first xbone.... well not till the slim version... that thing is huge! :p

So does anybody know what kind of cake I should send to the Microsoft execs? They've officially won so I want to congratulate them in the proper manner.

I'm thinking chocolate and mint to signify their wealth and their...never mind.

TomShoe

Banned
I should have clarified.

I'm talking about US.

The question is, is it feasible for them to close a 1 million console gap in 2 months? Everything is going to sell out on Black Friday.

Chances are the cut is permanent, given Microsoft's moves up to this point.

lol oh man that tweet. Legendary wordsmithing. I wish I were that good

doubt they would lower the price because it has been selling well but yeah Sony has dropped the ball on November and December

It would actually be sad if MS loses November. If Halo couldn't help get a single in the US I don't know what will.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
What am I missing from the Major Nelson tweet? What is wrong with it?

He says XB1 sales tripled in the US (it was only the last 2 weeks compared to the previous 1)
He implies XB1 is at 10 million sold in the US (it's sold-in worldwide)

It just spin, but I can't really get mad. It's his job to do spin everything into a positive, no matter how misleading it is.

SFenton

Unfortunately most non-affiliated civilians (who I assume make up a large portion of GAF) will not be privy to that context. Some people will take advantage of that for the delicious meltdown feedback.

Though I must say, I'm not sure even with that taken into account in how there's that many Titanfall bundles. I thought those were no longer being 'produced'. Also not sure how big of a permanent military presence is to warrant much of a console purchase there versus Navy/Marines passing through for training/deployments who are likely to purchase at their permanent duty stations/homes.

The Hawaii base is also interesting (where that image came from, purportedly). I've been to one of them (I think there are more- I went to the Air Force base), and there's a GameStop on the damn base right across from the Exchange.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
They'd be completely screwed if this didn't happen between the bundles, pricing, Sunset Overdrive, MCC, and comarketing deals for CoD and AC.

The deals got me to cave in and get one far before I was planning on it. With the best buy trade in deal this past weekend I traded in my paperweight 360 and a few controllers.

I walked out with an Assassin's Creed bundle and a year of XBL for $150+tax. Honestly couldn't resist that pricepoint.

I'd be suprised also if they hadn't triped, they had 3 bundles stacked up in the last couple of weeks.

We'll see how the rest of the month goes, if how the Xbone has performed in the past is anything to go by, their initial sales will be fine, then they'll drop off a cliff.

ItIsOkBro

jVkfC0K.gif

Rurunaki

I should have clarified.

I'm talking about US.

The thing is, I don't see those XB1 stocks moving these holidays (here in Honolulu anyway). It's like people already made up their mind. Hell, I got an SO Bundle just by walking to a Microsoft Store last week with no problem.

Without a doubt.

October doesn't mean much though, since November and October are usually the most important months.

MS would have to do freaking insane numbers to surpass Sony in Nov/Dec. Its not like either system will sit on store shelves this holiday. Both will sell out. It will be all about who has the most stock.

Daemul

Playstation 4 was at 13.5m sold in at the end of the last quarter, and XBO is at 10m sold in.

The console market seems to be very healthy. Hopefully console sales don't drop off the face of the earth when the hardcore have all moved over.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The term "sold-in" was created specifically to spin numbers. Whenever you see a company use it you know it is damage control.

AllenShrz

You mean dropping your one year old console down to price levels your previous console didn't (save the gimped Arcade models) for several more years AND throwing it AAA games or two AND gift cards from retailers is moving units? Colour me surprised.

By next Christmas it'll be free with the purchase of of Windows 10.

Haha!

orochi91

The question is, is it feasible for them to close a 1 million console gap in 2 months? Everything is going to sell out on Black Friday.

Chances are the cut is permanent, given Microsoft's moves up to this point.

I'd say they can whittle that gap down to ~850K by the end of 2014.

But none of that will matter because Sony will widen it again leading up to holiday 2015.

Yeah I hope so as well.

The bundle or the game?

The bundle was limited, so I doubt that made a difference.

The game I can see selling in the 300K-500K range in the US.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The response to this wave of blockbuster game releases and new bundles has been amazing, and sales have skyrocketed since the new price took effect on Nov. 2. Compared to the previous week, Xbox One sales in the US have more than tripled, which is exciting as more and more friends will be playing together this holiday. As we head into the busy holiday season Xbox One led generation 8 console sales in the US for the past two weeks. Shortly, we will have sold in to retailers more than 10 million Xbox One consoles.

Given the take-away, I should assume that this means

November sales (Past two weeks) = 3x sales for last week before the Holiday deal.

Right?

In the case, wouldn't that mean that, possibly, PS4 wasn't that behind in the same period?

P.S. And yes, put me in the camp "They're saying this due to October NPD results". Actually, I think not just due to losing another month to Sony, but because the sales possibly saw a consistent drop compared to September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom