• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
" Shortly, we will have sold in to retailers more than 10 million Xbox One consoles."

That's pretty vague.
Sony could say the same for 20 million mark if "shortly" means "few months where console sales are strongest".

Xando

Reposting since it went at the bottom of page 7, and this thread is surely going fast :lol

Seems plausible, if i remember right they announced the price cut a week or two before. Sales probably died down waiting for the price cut.

Anfang

B1opENH.gif

phil is that you?

Hindle needs to show up to make this thread even better.

Maybe I'll get un juniored afterall.lol

So 10mill shipped to retailers i'am guessing about 9mil sold to actually customers?

I dont know what sony's latest sales are around 14mill? MS are certainly catching Up.

There is no clear winner by any stretch of the imagination. Price,awareness and games are what matters as this sales spike has shown.

I have to say MS seem to be advertising more in the UK, I dont watch tv and use adblock so where adds can reach me is limted, but MS still get to me, I have heard an assasins creed xbox ad on spotify multiple times and have seen COD:AW xbox adverts on bustops in my little english town. MS are fighting.
I doubt that.

Chobel

So 10mill shipped to retailers i'am guessing about 9mil sold to actually customers?

I dont know what sony's latest sales are around 14mill? MS are certainly catching Up.

There is no clear winner by any stretch of the imagination. Price,awareness and games are what matters as this sales spike has shown.

I have to say MS seem to be advertising more in the UK, I dont watch tv and use adblock so where adds can reach me is limted, but MS still get to me, I have heard an assasins creed xbox ad on spotify multiple times and have seen COD:AW xbox adverts on bustops in my little english town. MS are fighting.

JenniferLawrenceOK.gif

Channel stuffing is a way to inflate your sold in numbers. It's not a positive.

Trying to insinuate that this press release is anything but positive indication of Xbox one sales is pretty short sighted. First off, what indication do we have that this is channel stuffing? I'm sure it is to a degree, but in truth, this likely more means that X1 is selling well, and that retailers are excited about its sales prospects, and expect it to sell well this Christmas.

The X1 has some truly great games this Christmas, and just seeing X1 dominate Amazon.com since the price drop (about 2 weeks), is a great sign for the system. It seems like that momentum is carrying itself beyond Amazon, which makes logical sense. $350 + Halo and some great exclusives is probably really tempting for people.

Asd202

If they were really at 9 million sold to customers they wouldn't be talking about shipped numbers...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
10807917_10152839517567179_2073199312_n.jpg

This was taken here in Hawaii early this Morning at a Navy Exchange Center.

Interesting. I noticed my military exchange here always has xbox ones in stock. They go away, then more come in. But PS4's rarely show up. They even have a larger collection of xbox one games.

I wonder if the exchanges have a deal with microsoft or something. Or maybe xbox is just more popular with military members.

I'm a fan, It's my #1 boo for gaming, but still sorry, this means shipped to stores right?
If I were MS, I would wait until I knew we sold more to human beings first, but well, yeah. Maybe they were just trying to thrust the momentum a little bit, cute, but it doesn't fool us!

See guys. This stuff works

PS4 is (as of right now) still selling at a healthy pace at $399. Sony is outpacing the competition month-by-month worldwide. They are leading in the US, which is MS' home turf. Each month the gap widens.

Until PS4 sales start to slow significantly, why in the hell would you, as a business, price drop? Demand is still there- even with XBO having price drops, bundles with pack-in games, gift cards, free months of XBL, etc.
Yes, PS4 is designed for quick cuts, but why would you cut profit when the system is still hot?

Well duh, you have to appease the console warriors.

Who cares about $, or profit, when you can win NPD for two months.

Stare-Bear

Banned
We do all know that anytime MJ Nelson comes out with sales pr a couple of days before the NPD is released, it means bad news for the Xbox one.

Lynn616

Trying to insinuate that this press release is anything but positive indication of Xbox one sales is pretty short sighted.

Last I'd heard, they were at around 6 million around summer. There's basically no chance that they could stuff the channel with 4 million systems. The logical conclusion would be that X1 is indeed selling well/better, and that getting 10 million systems into the channel means they are likely closer to 8 million+, which is a great sign, even if Sony is closer to 12-14 million at this point.

The X1 has some truly great games this christmas, and just seeing X1 dominate Amazon.com since the price drop (about 2 weeks), is a great sign for the system. It seems like that momentum is carrying itself beyond Amazon, which makes logical sense. $350 + Halo and some great exclusives is probably really tempting for people.

This is indeed a big improvement for Xbox One. It is a positive for sure.

Larogue

I think sony will have hard time catching up with the XB1 price, cause they use the more expensive GDDR5 ram.

Rurunaki

Interesting. I noticed my military exchange here always has xbox ones in stock. They go away, then more come in. But PS4's rarely show up. They even have a larger collection of xbox one games.

I wonder if the exchanges have a deal with microsoft or something. Or maybe xbox is just more popular with military members.

Maybe at your part of the military exchange, but here it doesn't feel like it. The amount of Titanfall bundle is a clear sign they overstocked and haven't sold it.

Sydle

I mean the fact that they have sold-in 10 million and have been doing well since the price cut. Although I had no idea what Channel stuffing was until I googled it twenty minutes ago.

Oh dear. Don't be fooled thinking you can reason with sales-age GAF. It only ever turns into another front of the console wars.

Jetman

8th generation?

So,

1st Gen = NES/SMS
2nd Gen = SNES/Sega Genesis
3rd Gen = N64/Dreamcast/PS1
4th Gen = GameCube/ PS2/ XBOX
5th Gen = Wii/ PS3/ XBOX 360
6th Gen = Wii U/ PS4/ X-Bone

?

What am I forgetting?

ron_bato

Not really surprised that sales tripled in the first week of the discount. They announced these deals way in advance so people would have held off buying in october to buy the xbox one when the discount was applicable.

A percentage increase that large week-on-week may sound impressive, but it could also be due to a low base effect, and without hard numbers for context it's hard to tell which is which. In any case, November is going to be a good month for sales for both consoles, and the xbox one positioned themselves well due to their price cut, bundles and software.

Cess007

8th generation?

So,

1st Gen = NES/SMS

?

What am I forgetting?

The NES/SMS wasn't the 1st Gen, you know?

RayMaker

Banned

pager99

" Shortly, we will have sold in to retailers more than 10 million Xbox One consoles."

That's pretty vague.
Sony could say the same for 20 million mark if "shortly" means "few months where console sales are strongest".
Exactly, my guess is their at around 9 mil shipped with 2mil on shelves for holiday season and 7 mil sold tru, it's a lot of spin by ms

Doukou

8th generation?

So,

1st Gen = NES/SMS

?

What am I forgetting?

Magnavox Odyssey