• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X - CG trailer (PC/360/XB1/PS3/PS4, 2015, E3 Debut, Box Art, Info, UE3)

Trojan X

Banned
My hopes for a PC port is that it is based off next-gen, and that the release date is really close to next-gen console release.

Be mad if it's lazy 360 port with a 6 mo delay.

Don't you mean the PC version should be the leading version? With the architecture of the next gen machines, that should be the best way to go for ease.

Salsa

music is shit, but honestly, even tho it doesnt fit the mood of the trailer, Mortal Kombat is just dumb, I dont find it that offensive to put this in there

I laughed the same way I laugh when I see a character taking out 5 spines from another in a fatality, it's not a series to take so seriously really, whenever they try to go for badass deep and broody mythology I end up cringing. Just have fun with it and make it metal as shit

Nemesis_

I was kind of hoping they would do what they did with MK9 and make MKX basically a reboot of the events of MK4 to MK Deception but actually make them good. Similar to how MK9 covered the events from MK1 to MK3.

For some reason I assume that idea is gone now.

are people like seriously worried that the game is going to be playing Wiz Khalifa during fights or something? It'll have the traditional old MK style music we are all used to. This is just a hype teaser. I remember the early trailers for the movie Gladiator had fucking Kid Rock blaring but that doesn't mean he was on the actual soundtrack.

Salsa

gotta say tho, I dont like how this teaser already teases the stage-specific stuff that was in Injustice

I mean, this is me jut guessing, but sub zero grabbing a branch, swinging from it, etc etc

I think it was somewhat interesting in Injustice but I don't really want it on an MK game

I worry they'll go through the same path of just adding unnecessary stuff and end up with the mess that were those PS2 era games. Dont fix what aint broken

Kieli

are people like seriously worried that the game is going to be playing Wiz Khalifa during fights or something? It'll have the traditional old MK style music we are all used to. This is just a hype teaser. I remember the early trailers for the movie Gladiator had fucking Kid Rock blaring but that doesn't mean he was on the actual soundtrack.

Woodkid + AssCreed is seriously the only trailer I can think of off the top of my head that go well together in terms of music to video games.

I want that beat as a stage theme.

sadly, people jump to conclusions about these things all the time. think i remember someone writing an essay on the 343 forums on why dubstep shouldn't be in Halo 4

I was kind of hoping they would do what they did with MK9 and make MKX basically a reboot of the events of MK4 to MK Deception but actually make them good. Similar to how MK9 covered the events from MK1 to MK3.

For some reason I assume that idea is gone now.

I'm really hoping they use this opportunity to reboot the entire series with a whole new cast aside from Sub and Scorpion. They are sort of the Ryu/Ken of this series and really iconic so you have to keep them around, and on top of that Sub is a member of a bloodline and Scorpion is undead so you can always fudge ways to keep them in the stories, but have a whole new cast and story. No more Lui Kang or Johnny Cage. No more Kano and Sonia. No more Shang and Shao Khan. It also doesn't help that really think most of the PS2 and beyond era characters are dumb as hell.

Arkham Knight is using UE3, and it looks damn good.

arkham_knight_2.jpg

Lol, I hope you are joking, Batman looks better than previous games, yes, but nothing is next-gen in it.

gosoxtim

I'm really hoping they use this opportunity to reboot the entire series with a whole new cast aside from Sub and Scorpion. They are sort of the Ryu/Ken of this series and really iconic so you have to keep them around, and on top of that Sub is a member of a bloodline and Scorpion is undead so you can always fudge ways to keep them in the stories, but have a whole new cast and story. No more Lui Kang or Johnny Cage. No more Kano and Sonia. No more Shang and Shao Khan. It also doesn't help that really think most of the PS2 and beyond era characters are dumb as hell.

now that you metion the press release did say we wlll get new characters so i wonder if his a reboot with a new orignal story

ShamTech

Neo Member
Yeah that's def UE3 in that Arkham Pic.

It's weird how one can always tell. I wonder if it will be like that with UE4. That vehicle looks oddly similar to the Levatathon from Unreal :O

chaosaeon

So with the trailer being CG, the fact that it's cross gen and possibly even on UE3 is testing my cringe reflex at the thought. I know people are saying Arkham Knight is on UE and that it looks great, but it isn't cross gen and it still has that UE gamey look to it that I can't quite put my finger on. Like the difference between an action figure and a really well sculpted action figure shown under better lights or something. My cringe reflex could not withstand the "all in one entertainment system" bit though.

Yeah that's def UE3 in that Arkham Pic.

It's weird how one can always tell. I wonder if it will be like that with UE4. That vehicle looks oddly similar to the Levatathon from Unreal :O

Indeed, in fact I work with UE4 and I know tech enough to tell you that Batman will never look as good as a vanilla UE4 game. It looks good: better than the previous titles, but NOT NEXT-GEN, not the big jump from a machine to another machine which requires the shifting from an engine to a enwer engine(which this game failed to do). If you are impressed by this then I feel sorry for yousince you have really low standards. They should have used UE4 instead of UE3, squeeze UE3 as much as you can Never get the the features of a vanilla UE4. I am using UE4 and it has really omnipotent techs, WAAAAY BEYOND THIS The engine has bright future. I am sure this game will be unoptimzed as hell on every platform even on PC like the previous titles while UE4 engine runs and looks betetr than this and gets updated and optimized every week. We are almost at UE4.3 version while This batman uses UE3.5 version -_- .

Seeing what can be achieved with UE4. Go to unreal gorums and see WIP of people you will be amazed. I don't doubt that the Mortal Kombat video is gameplay. Lol tehre are people who still think Elemental demi is pre-rendered or CGI. Lol. They really don't know tech or UE4.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I've watched this trailer about 10 times now in full screen 1080p...and I think there is definitely gameplay in this trailer mixed with intentional CGI.

Hear me out.

Watch the trailer and make sure to watch it in 1080p, otherwise you will not see it.

The scenes where the two players are actually fighting face to face, that's gameplay.

Anytime outside of that, it is CGI except for a few parts that look like scripted elements of the gameplay, i.e., like an Ultra in SF4.

There's a huge difference in the graphics/textures when it cuts between the face to face fighting and the obvious scripted-looking events.

I believe that's the big deal in this trailer, they're actually showing what next-gen MK is gonna look like when zero and scorp are face to face fighting. You can tell because there's a slight glow around the player models, much like SF4's player models.

I work in advertising/marketing, just because a advertising firm designed this trailer doesn't mean they weren't given in-game assests/footage to work with. There's some really good CGI parts they created in between the fighting parts, and when you link them all together, it gels perfectly.

I'm willing to be money, there's gameplay in this trailer.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't the final box art is it? Surely they can do better than a black background with Scorpion on it.

Mortal_Kombat_X_Xbox_One_3_D_ITA.jpg

Christ, the song choice was terrible.
I've watched this trailer about 10 times now in full screen 1080p...and I think there is definitely gameplay in this trailer mixed with intentional CGI.

Hear me out.

Watch the trailer and make sure to watch it in 1080p, otherwise you will not see it.

The scenes where the two players are actually fighting face to face, that's gameplay.

Anytime outside of that, it is CGI except for a few parts that look like scripted elements of the gameplay, i.e., like an Ultra in SF4.

There's a huge difference in the graphics/textures when it cuts between the face to face fighting and the obvious scripted-looking events.

I believe that's the big deal in this trailer, they're actually showing what next-gen MK is gonna look like when zero and scorp are face to face fighting. You can tell because there's a slight glow around the player models, much like SF4's player models.

I work in advertising/marketing, just because a advertising firm designed this trailer doesn't mean they weren't given in-game assests/footage to work with. There's some really good CGI parts they created in between the fighting parts, and when you link them all together, it gels perfectly.

I'm willing to be money, there's gameplay in this trailer.

I can believe that, the animations didn't look all that amazing compared to what we've seen before. Arkham knight and 1886 still looks the most next gen game so far. I suppose that's due to the crossgen.

Don't you mean the PC version should be the leading version? With the architecture of the next gen machines, that should be the best way to go for ease.

You would think that, but remember that 2K gave PC owners the last gen version of NBA 2K14 while ps4/xb1 got the new shiny version. Not saying that this will be the same situation, just throwing that out there.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
So yea, again, anytime it cuts away from the face to face fighting, that's the added CGI the design firm did, the rest of it is actual gameplay, without the HUD.

Anyone not believing it, try to think outside the box, this could be next-gen graphics/tech for fighting games. I mean, think about it, why shouldn't look like this?

Ghazi

So yea, again, anytime it cuts away from the face to face fighting, that's the added CGI the design firm did, the rest of it is actual gameplay, without the HUD.

Anyone not believing it, try to think outside the box, this could be next-gen graphics/tech for fighting games. I mean, think about it, why shouldn't look like this?
The camera continued to zoom in and out, during the face to face scenes. You think it's done for the purpose of the trailer, or it'll do that in game?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
The camera continued to zoom in and out, during the face to face scenes. You think it's done for the purpose of the trailer, or it'll do that in game?

Depends, the parts where it zooms in some is like an element in SF4. I'd think of it this way, what was fighting like in MK9 and anything that looks out of the ordinary is not gameplay.

i.e., zero taking the branch off the tree, prob part of the gameplay, but when it goes outside of that 2-D fighting scene, that's CGI.

There's a HUGE difference in the player models between the gameplay and CGI.

Nah, not due to the graphics but the animations are completely unnatural for it being gameplay. None of it is direct gameplay, just CG evocative of general concepts.

Top Bottom