• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

TTG

I'm thinking about it, and honestly, if the cavs were actually willing to roll the dice this might work.

If Rondo could win a championship, and was this willing to be on the bench? And he had a tally good shooters? Yeah, it could work.

I mean, tbf to Rondo, he was never going to be able to shoot, and throwing him on a team without shooters was guaranteed to make him look like utter shit

There's no room on a Lebron and Kyrie led team for a small who can't shoot. You could shorten that to just Lebron really, but Kyrie's game is a lot of penetration and kick as well. There's like no reason at all to play him in the the playoffs when one of those two will be on the floor at all times.

Bread

Banned
I'm surprised at all the Embiid votes. The kid is great but it's his first real season and the Sixers are still bad. I would find it odd they gave him a spot.
It's not an MVP award, it shouldn't matter that the team is bad. He's a bonafide star and I'd rather see him there over Love, Kemba, and Millsap.

TTG

If contract bonuses weren't tied to all star selection, I would let the fans control 100% of the vote. It's the right thing to do, it's an exhibition game for the fans remember, and it would make for a better game. Thank God I'll be watching Kevin Love and Milsap, cantwait.gif.

It's not an MVP award, it shouldn't matter that the team is bad. He's a bonafide star and I'd rather see him there over Love, Kemba, and Millsap.

He doesn't play a heavy workload and it's his first season. I know everyone wants to say winning doesn't matter but I mean. . . .It has always mattered. And when the coaches gotta choose between repeated performers who are winners and a rookie it's an obvious conclusion.

Fjordson

Embiid hasn't played basketball games on consecutive days since he was in high school. Have to see how his numbers will hold up under the same workload as other stars.

Bread

Banned
Why were people even considering Embiid?

Dude has to earn his stripes

He doesn't play a heavy workload and it's his first season. I know everyone wants to say winning doesn't matter but I mean. . . .It has always mattered. And when the coaches gotta choose between repeated performers who are winners and a rookie it's an obvious conclusion.
it's an all star game, not the all nba team.

I don't even think Lillard cares about it this year as much as last year. Last year there was a lot of noise about him missing it and he aired publically about it. This year I think he's more worried about the team underperforming. Hopefully he comes back strong as he did last year.

I would love to see McCollum in it though! The dude is just an insanely efficient scorer and has flashy handles. He doesn't pass or get to the line much so it's fun to watch. Exactly the type of thing you wanna see in an all-star game.

TTG

3e3.jpg

All star game won't be the same without Love's spot up 3s.

TTG

lol is this KG and Rasheed thing a regular segment? I usually don't watch any of TNT's studio stuff so I'm out of the loop.

KG is and I've fast forwarded through all of his segments. Not even Randy Moss could give me pause to save that shit.

Line_HTX

Dang, the TNT crew had an extended heated argument. They were yelling over each other on Lebron's whiny ass comments.

BG has a fucking Lambo and a Ferrari but still wants a regular Volkswagen like a biatch!

Is this an actual argument?

Let the fans watch who they want to watch. It's an exhibition. The players were the ones stupid enough to let the owners tie bonuses to an exhibition game, let them deal with that, i just want to see LeBron tossing lobs to Embiid in a completely meaningless game.

Let the fans watch who they want to watch. It's an exhibition. The players were the ones stupid enough to let the owners tie bonuses to an exhibition game, let them deal with that, i just want to see LeBron tossing lobs to Embiid in a completely meaningless game.

I'm fine with that if the argument is, "let the fans just vote in all the players". But if you are going to leave it to the coaches then I don't buy the argument "oh none of that matters, they should just pick for entertainment".

If they are going to leave it in the hands of the coaches then what are yall expecting? They will use no merit what so ever?

TTG

The more I think about, fan choice for all 24 spots is best regardless of contract incentives. If you and your game have the personality of a goldfish and you're not named Tim Duncan it's tough noogies for you.

of course, it's not a question

I guess conley is his main competitor. Yeah, now that CP3 is injured, I guess it makes much sense. If you put CP3 as the other backup guard, Klay making it as a guard makes sense. I would put Gobert in over him for sure if the wild card was up for discussion.

Then again, I guess I was also thinking back to when Lillard+CJ wasn't so obviously a gaping defensive weakness for a backcourt

There's no room on a Lebron and Kyrie led team for a small who can't shoot. You could shorten that to just Lebron really, but Kyrie's game is a lot of penetration and kick as well. There's like no reason at all to play him in the the playoffs when one of those two will be on the floor at all times.

This is NOT about the playoffs. I don't think LeBron is as worried about this squad in the playoffs.

Delly averaged 24 minutes last year during the regular season on the Cavs. He then averaged 12 in the playoffs, decreasing each round until he had about 8 minutes per game in the finals

This isn't about the playoffs. This is about getting there.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2017.html

How many shooters do the Cavs have? I agree, during the playoffs, LeBron will probably play almost every minute and be the only ball handler they really need, but for the regular season he could use this. He's averaging the most minutes in the NBA, so even if he rests during some games, he's still playing alot. Cavs are also hurting right now because of Jr being out.

Rondo is made much much worse if he doesn't have shooters around him. There will be 3-4 people on the line at all times for the Cavs. Yes, him not having a jumpshot means the opponent can sag off of him, but he would have a ton of space to operate and cut with, and a ton of shooters to pad his assist totals, and a legit shot at the championship to try and force him to play nice.

To clarify, im thinking more of Cavs getting him for another one of those damn trade exceptions, especially now that Rondo has (defensibly) called out wade and butler

TTG

It's time for a banana boat reunion. Chris Paul is out anyway and the others could use some time away from their teams. Take Melo along for this go around.

man that article on ESPN.com about Boogie makes him sound like an immature, coddled, insufferable cunt. I'm not sure he's ever going to be a part of a winning culture.

Bread

Banned
I'm fine with that if the argument is, "let the fans just vote in all the players". But if you are going to leave it to the coaches then I don't buy the argument "oh none of that matters, they should just pick for entertainment".

If they are going to leave it in the hands of the coaches then what are yall expecting? They will use no merit what so ever?
The issue here is that you think Embiid hasn't played like an all star. His stats are arguably better than Millsap's. I disagree with the notion that someone has to earn their stripes because deserving rookies should always be in play for the all star teams.

The issue here is that you think Embiid hasn't played like an all star. His stats are arguably better than Millsap's. I disagree with the notion that someone has to earn their stripes because deserving rookies should always be in play for the all star teams.

Please point out where I said that.

Melo for a non-clippers big 3, quite possibly Austin rivers + ???? is a possibility...

man that article on ESPN.com about Boogie makes him sound like an immature, coddled, insufferable cunt. I'm not sure he's ever going to be a part of a winning culture.

Man, boogie is so damn awesome, watch him off court or when interacting with fans

Will get some of the shit he's done out. Used to hate boogie till I actually started following him this year.

Jarate

Banned
That is probably the worst all star snub I've ever seen. Embiid has had a Lebron level impact on the court and has carried a team that basically won 10 games last year to a 17-27 record.

Fuck the NBA, fuck Adam Silver, Fuck assistant Coaches

Trust the Process

Jarate

Banned
Like there is no statistical measure that supports this. Embiid is a better defender by far. By fucking far. Embiid is probably more dangerous offensively as well. This is the most asinine thing on earth. Do people not watch game film?

Like there is no statistical measure that supports this. Embiid is a better defender by far. By fucking far. Embiid is probably more dangerous offensively as well. This is the most asinine thing on earth. Do people not watch game film?

Yeah it was a really bad snub. Regardless if you don't think rookies should get in or if you think he hasn't played enough (which are both dumb arguments), his impact on each game for the Sixers is far greater than Millsap's impact on the Hawks.

Oh well. Trust the process. At least we'll see him and Dario together in the rising stars game.

Also side note: The Jazz are nice.

gutshot

Straight up bullshit that Embiid isn't an All-Star. He's put up better numbers in less cumulative playing time. Earn his stripes? Wtf does that even mean? There is no waiting period for whether you should be an All-Star. Are you one of the best 6-7 players at your position? Yes? Then you are an All-Star. And Embiid has shown through any sort of statistical measure that he is. Minutes played should have nothing to do with it unless you are at a really low total or something.

And the argument that you have to be on a "good" team? Completely silly but even so, it's not like the Sixers are irrelevant. They are a borderline playoff team. They have only 3 more loses than the Bucks. Yet Giannis is a (deserved) unanimous all-star starter.

Plus Embiid would just be a lot of fun. Boo to the coaches, writers and players for keeping him off the squad. Thanks for nothing.

Next year there are going to be ALOT of first or second time all stars.

Jokic, Porzingis, and KAT all enter their 3rd year.
Embiid + Simmons get to try and make the 76ers a contender
Rudy Gobert was already a snub.
Giannis will probably make it back, maybe Parker joins him.

Basically a bunch of 3rd years plus Embiid.

Also Lillard/McCollum if the Blazers' super young squad can improve (they DO have a young squad guys, they'll get better...)

Next year there are going to be ALOT of first or second time all stars.

Jokic, Porzingis, and KAT all enter their 3rd year.
Embiid + Simmons get to try and make the 76ers a contender
Rudy Gobert was already a snub.
Giannis will probably make it back, maybe Parker joins him.

Basically a bunch of 3rd years plus Embiid.

Also Lillard/McCollum if the Blazers' super young squad can improve (they DO have a young squad guys, they'll get better...)

the guard position out West is going to be tough for any young guys lke Lillard, Mccollum, Bledsoe (who is quietly having a great year) or Booker to break through. Steph, Westbrook and Harden are basically automatics. CP3 is nearly that. Conley and Klay are out ythere as well.

I understand the argument for Embiid, and frankly I'd rather see him in it than Millsap (solid fundamentals win games but they suck in an All-Star game), but you don't miss one third of the season and make the All-Star game unless you are a superstar on the level of Kobe or LeBron (in which case you probably get voted in even if you aren't actually in the league any more) or you are the only famous player from your country (Zaza or Yao). The coaches have always, ALWAYS rewarded winning by throwing a bone to the teams near the top of the standings even if they are there because they play well together, not because they have a breakout star. Fortunately, as long as he stays healthy, Embiid has a rich history of All-Star games to look forward to in his career; dude is going to be a beast.

Rondo might actually save the Bulls by being the one to make them drop the farce.

the guard position out West is going to be tough for any young guys lke Lillard, Mccollum, Bledsoe (who is quietly having a great year) or Booker to break through. Steph, Westbrook and Harden are basically automatics. CP3 is nearly that. Conley and Klay are out ythere as well.

I'm more excited about the big men.

Man, Jokic is so great offensively right now. Nearly had a triple double tonight. More people should watch the Nuggets for him. He isn't a rim blocking, dunking center, but his game is a different kind of adaptation to the current NBA. Passes the ball so damn well.

Top Bottom