• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranquilo

Banned
Shield Tablet already did, so yes!
https://youtu.be/6dM9uT05mLo

Oooh, very promising. Thanks for the heads up!

A lot of people are expecting the reveal to be in the days before Tokyo Game Show (starts September 15), which means September 12-14. It's been talked about quite a few times in the NX threads.

Great. Obviously it's tough to keep caught up on these threads as they're massive. Scanning recent pages it seems the community was hopeful we'd get an announcement this week.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
No, you're right. Golden Week this year was from April 29 until May 8 I think. It was simply an error by Rösti, but he corrected it already.
Well, when I asked why Nintendo would be closed I was told Golden Week (for August 10-16 anyway). There was Mountain Day (national holiday) and some other festivals during that period. Perhaps Golden Week was used as ease of access?

The error was the mention of August 26 as Golden Week. Nintendo will be closed on that single day, why that is I don't know.

Banned
Rösti;213883173 said:
Well, when I asked why Nintendo would be closed I was told Golden Week (for August 10-16 anyway). There was Mountain Day (national holiday) and some other festivals during that period. Perhaps Golden Week was used as ease of access?

The error was the mention of August 26 as Golden Week. Nintendo will be closed on that single day, why that is I don't know.
Getting ready for the NX decorating in the offices and burning all the Wii U dev kits.

NJDEN

All these NX rumours have got me genuinely excited about what they are cooking up and I've never been particularly interested in Nintendo before. I never bothered with the current generation in favor of using a PC for all my gaming. All this talk of Nintendo developing a portable handheld is vastly more interesting than MS or Sony developing another iteration in the console cycle. I hope they can develop something truly portable and do it well.

Well, for what it's worth, I'm the one that tracked down the source that gave 10k his April information, and even though I'm a junior it won't mean much to validate him but I can say for sure that the source is legit. I had a LinkedIn, website, and twitter that was deleted right after the interview, he was indeed with NoA. I was just really curious at the time and decided to give the contact to someone with more reputation so that they might be more likely to give out info.

It's not a lot of info, but considering the pressures that employees are under, the fact that it isn't much helps it validity IMO, and that he wasn't bullshitting.

Honestly as we (hopefully) near the end of speculation era I cannot wait to see what comes of all of this and what the answers to all these vague reports, leaks, rumors, and speculation become. Come on September!
Thanks for this info. :)

Why would Nintendo wait until September to announce the event? Give me a break it's a brand new system. What is their problem that they would need to wait a few days prior to tell us. Why can't they say something this month? We've been so long and they're so quiet.

Why would Nintendo wait until September to announce the event? Give me a break it's a brand new system. What is their problem that they would need to wait a few days prior to tell us. Why can't they say something this month? We've been so long and they're so quiet.

They have a plan (ha! like the Cylons). They probably have a timetable for reveal and subsequent activities.

They don't change such plan for a bunch of nerds who wants it NOW.

Hilarion

Eurogamer said September and I'm buying the rest of their story so no word for the rest of the month is what I expect.

August during the Olympics is a crazy time to snnounce a product.

Vena

So, given John Harker's quote how realistic is a reveal date prior to the Sony event?

John's comment was about Sony rushing to get in front of the NX, not wanting to get drowned out. So that means they are the ones sneaking it in and not Nintendo. This also gives us a ballpark on Nintendo's plans being soon after. Sony basically had only that day if NX is the week after. They'd want a weekend or so for themselves.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Eurogamer said September and I'm buying the rest of their story so no word for the rest of the month is what I expect.

August during the Olympics is a crazy time to snnounce a product.

This. I've always expected mid- to late-September.

Thanks! I work in local news, I try to keep the journalistic faith. As to your question, if we take trust out of the equation, there was a tweet left up that I caught of him asking to talk to the employee. I messaged 10k and asked him to pull it down, for safety. The twitter account itself, which was active before I sent 10k the info, went down right after he got the info from the NoA contact. It was a not very used account, so I guess the contact just figured deleting it was the best option.

It still isn't much to go off of, but it is more than we have and is indeed legit. It was April though, so who knows what things might have changed, but everything that contact said holds up until now.

So, in case people missed it, this is the interview Knobinwan is talking about.

e5BeVp2.jpg

fPGaASa.jpg

HErTo5A.jpg

EOtneiO.jpg

gD7SqGm.jpg

yemij9C.jpg

ggx2ac

So, in case people missed it, this is the interview Knobinwan is talking about.

I can't view the photos right now but I assume this is the one people were laughing about how he didn't know the RAM. I guess mentioning LPDDR4 RAM would have given away what the NX is other than the, "Does the NX have an AMD GPU? No."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"It might perform like it is, but I don't think anyone would claim so" about the system being more powerful than PS4 screams "additional SCD or power dock" to me.

I can't view the photos right now but I assume this is the one people were laughing about how he didn't know the RAM. I guess mentioning LPDDR4 RAM would have given away what the NX is other than the, "Does the NX have an AMD GPU? No."

It was 10k's interview which you likely saw earlier. :)

"It might perform like it is, but I don't think anyone would claim so" about the system being more powerful than PS4 screams "additional SCD or power dock" to me.
That's the way I look at it. It's less powerful, but with SCDs it'll probably be atleast the same power.

ggx2ac

To humour you, if the SCD was the dock. It's not going to look like the Wii U Gamepad Charging Cradle. It'd probably look like some external HDD casing in size and form factor that you dock the NX into it like a cartridge into an N64.

Edit: I'm forgetting how big an external HDD casing can look, just go with the cartridge/N64 in relative size.

I'm just gonna assume with the patent that the SCD connects to another device with a cable. Let's not forget the patent mentions wireless capabilities so I'd just use AC type wifi for it.

It was 10k's interview which you likely saw earlier. :)

Thanks.

MuchoMalo

Banned
So, I just realized something, and saying this is going to piss some people off (even though I don't expect this to be true, but some people seem to be annoyed by any out-there speculation in general), but it's funny so I have to share it. So, you know how we were talking about what it could do in the dock to be more powerful?
I can feel the angry stares, and I haven't even made it to the looney part.
We've all come to the conclusion that underclocking when mobile and running at full speed in the dock is far more likely than there being a GPU in the dock, right? (Assuming that anything happens when in the dock at all.) Well, what if I told you that this is wrong and that the GPU in the dock is actually the more likely of the two scenarios based on what we know? Now, before you toss me into a padded room, just listen to my reasoning.

We've heard nothing about anything happening with the dock, and in fact we've been told that there's only one power level for the machine, period. Here's what I realized that we missed though: how would the dock actually work? I speculated that what could be done is to have the dock connect to the unit via PCIe. My reasoning for why this could work was that this is some which Tegra "Parker" is capable of. This has obviously been dismissed because "it's Nintendo" and because we'd have known about it already. Here's what's been missed, though: the current dev kits are not using Parker. In fact, it sounds like they're using an off-the-shelf Tegra X1, which would not be capable of communicating with a dedicated GPU over PCIe. This means that the only way for anyone to know if a GPU dock is planned is if they're told that it's planned. Meanwhile, there's nothing stopping Nintendo from waiting to reveal this, especially if it's optional or they make sure that only devs who truly need it are made aware of it before the reveal. After all, games would only need to be optimized for that mode to use the extra GPU, and that wouldn't be a super hard feat. So, we haven't heard about it because devs don't actually know about it!

I don't actually believe that this is this is the case. It's just a fun observation. please put the pitchfork down.

ggx2ac

I don't actually believe that this is this is the case. It's just a fun observation. please put the pitchfork down.

This would be the next point to speculate, if there really is a smart dock, or an SCD. How come we haven't heard about it?

Did the leaks come from small developers that have handheld only budgets?

Or the leaks are from developers that are using UE4 so once the SCDs are revealed, it might not take much work to scale up?

Anything else?

Edit: Or multiplatform developer is still plausible because of porting assets from the current gen versions of games in development.

Edit 2: go to this post: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=213898083

Roo

Didn't the USPTO just grant Nintendo the SCD patent today?

Not saying they won't happen down the line but many people are banking on the SCD idea right now and unless Nintendo worked, designed, implemented and manufactured said device hoping for the best (getting the patent granted) to use it alongside NX (let's say the first gen device launching next year in March) I don't think they'll make use of that technology just yet.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't the USPTO just grant Nintendo the SCD patent today?

Not saying they won't happen down the line but many people are banking on the SCD idea right now and unless Nintendo worked, designed, implemented and manufactured said device hoping for the best (getting the patent granted) to use it alongside NX (let's say the first gen device launching next year in March) I don't think they'll make use of that technology just yet.
Yes they did: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1263936

ggx2ac

I just forgot half of what MuchoMalo said. Maybe those X1 dev kits dont have PCIe capabilities but, what about the new dev kits developers would have received this month? We'd need a leak on that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
John made it pretty clear later on that the one racing was Sony trying to get ahead of the NX to not get drowned out in the wave thereafter. So it's very likely the NX will be on the heels of the Neo. This also helps with other info we have and the same leak as the Neo announcement leak.

Being the first is important. If you're not the first, priorities change.

ggx2ac

So basically, Sony ruined everything and we're going to have to wait another 2 months for an announcement but it gets delayed because of US elections which means we have wait until next year in which Nintendo announces a major delay to the NX to release in November 2017 but delays revealing NX at E3 next year because of Project Scorpio.

/jk

Plinko

nintendo states a lot of things

i'm expecting november 2017

They'd have flat-out lied to investors at the last meeting, which tends to be frowned upon in legal circles.

MuchoMalo

Banned
So basically, Sony ruined everything and we're going to have to wait another 2 months for an announcement but it gets delayed because of US elections which means we have wait until next year in which Nintendo announces a major delay to the NX to release in November 2017 but delays revealing NX at E3 next year because of Project Scorpio.

/jk

What's with this jumping to conclusions?

antonz

They'd have flat-out lied to investors at the last meeting, which tends to be frowned upon in legal circles.

Yep and on top of that the fiscal report clearly states the sales of NX are figured into the plans. They have opted to keep the sales expectations hidden for now but they are factored into forecast

Ck1

Banned
MuchoMalo actually brought up some interesting points about how and why we may have not heard rumblings of any additional processing abilities. Could it also be that the current devkits in the hands of developers don't have access to these SCD capabilities?

Someone on NeoGaf stated that new devkits are due out soon right? The patent was just granted this week, so the next devkits could definitely reflect this new change in patent status. Developers that didn't speak so positive about the WiiU actually seem interested in what Nintendo is doing and it can't be just for a Tegra processor in a hybrid device.

ggx2ac

While I'm mentioning Project Scorpio.

*Cough*

Looking up the wiki of the zodiac sign Scorpio, it is the eighth astrological zodiac sign. The sun transits under the tropical zodiac on average between October 24 to November 22.
Scorpius is a giant scorpion sent by Gaia to kill Orion.

So by making some baseless and ridiculous speculation. Project Scorpio is going to be called the Xbox 8 and will release between October 24 to November 22.

/lol

I disagree, I think it screams "NX exclusives will perform much better than ports, possibly good enough to look better than PS4 games!" Based on the current info about TX1 and Parker FP16 precision should perform at least twice as well as FP32, which means games developed from the ground up for NX will have a much higher Gflops number using mixed precision than the standard FP32 number we keep seeing. This means games made for the NX from the ground up (such as Nintendo games) will perform way better than quick ports, and it will likely be way more noticeable than it was with Wii U games.

So, I just realized something, and saying this is going to piss some people off (even though I don't expect this to be true, but some people seem to be annoyed by any out-there speculation in general), but it's funny so I have to share it. So, you know how we were talking about what it could do in the dock to be more powerful?
We've all come to the conclusion that underclocking when mobile and running at full speed in the dock is far more likely than there being a GPU in the dock, right? (Assuming that anything happens when in the dock at all.) Well, what if I told you that this is wrong and that the GPU in the dock is actually the more likely of the two scenarios based on what we know? Now, before you toss me into a padded room, just listen to my reasoning.

We've heard nothing about anything happening with the dock, and in fact we've been told that there's only one power level for the machine, period. Here's what I realized that we missed though: how would the dock actually work? I speculated that what could be done is to have the dock connect to the unit via PCIe. My reasoning for why this could work was that this is some which Tegra "Parker" is capable of. This has obviously been dismissed because "it's Nintendo" and because we'd have known about it already. Here's what's been missed, though: the current dev kits are not using Parker. In fact, it sounds like they're using an off-the-shelf Tegra X1, which would not be capable of communicating with a dedicated GPU over PCIe. This means that the only way for anyone to know if a GPU dock is planned is if they're told that it's planned. Meanwhile, there's nothing stopping Nintendo from waiting to reveal this, especially if it's optional or they make sure that only devs who truly need it are made aware of it before the reveal. After all, games would only need to be optimized for that mode to use the extra GPU, and that wouldn't be a super hard feat. So, we haven't heard about it because devs don't actually know about it!

That's a very interesting point, thank you for sharing. With new devkits being released this month (according to LCGeek) we might start to see some info on the new chip they're using and maybe developers will be told what the new functions of that chip are.

Edit:
MuchoMalo actually brought up some interesting points about how and why we may have not heard rumblings of any additional processing abilities. Could it also be that the current devkits in the hands of developers don't have access to these SCD capabilities?

Someone on NeoGaf stated that new devkits are due out soon right? The patent was just granted this week, so the next devkits could definitely reflect this new change in patent status. Developers that didn't speak so positive about the WiiU actually seem interested in what Nintendo is doing and it can't be just for a Tegra processor in a hybrid device.

Just a quick point, patent grant date means next to nothing. Companies release products with patents pending all the time, the allowance or rejection of that patent would not factor into Nintendo's plans or timeline, except for possibly the legal division.

Peterthumpa

Or maybe the dev kits have an actively cooled X1 for a reason - emulate the extra GPU by overclocking the unit. Devs wouldn't need to worry about the dock, the bus type and anything similar. That's the hardware layer, as long as Nintendo guarantees that performance will be similar, they couldn't care less.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Or maybe the dev kits have an actively cooled X1 for a reason - emulate the extra GPU by overclocking the unit. Devs wouldn't need to worry about the dock, the bus type and anything similar. That's the hardware layer, as long as Nintendo guarantees that performance will be similar, they couldn't care less.

Yeah, that was something I considered as part of this "theory" as well. OC the X1 to get as close to the GPU dock as possible and minimize the work required once the eGPU is added to the picture.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
How confident are we that the NX will be unvieled next month?

Well, I think it either has to be next month or January. I don't think they'd try to announce something in the middle of gaming's rush. So, assuming it doesn't happen very late this month, I think next month is inevitable. I could maybe see very early October, but September feels right. Not really many major Nintendo releases. Plus, didn't a GAF insider say that Sony was in a race to announce Neo before NX? Finally, considering the Eurogamer report alongside everything else, I think September feels inevitable unless something changed.

I expect we'll get the event announcement next week, but I guess it could happen at the end of this week, too.

Vena

True but I don't think being first, here, actually benefits Nintendo one way or the other, particularly since we're looking at a polarizing refresh vs. a brand new piece of hardware (and some hook). If anything, being right on the heels of Sony with on-point messaging could bury the Neo announcement far more than the opposite set of events. But also Sony being after Nintendo would make them a guy yelling amongst a hurricane, so to put it.

It will really depend on what Nintendo is planning here, its not like they couldn't change their dates to get ahead of Sony if they thought it that important.

They literally said NX info is coming in fall of 2016. There are no ifs ands or buts about that. Mid September I believe is when fall starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom