• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnozberry

Or maybe the dev kits have an actively cooled X1 for a reason - emulate the extra GPU by overclocking the unit. Devs wouldn't need to worry about the dock, the bus type and anything similar. That's the hardware layer, as long as Nintendo guarantees that performance will be similar, they couldn't care less.

The existing dev kits probably based on the Jetson TX1 board that is actively cooled, which could be replaced with the Pascal equivalent down the road. The Pascal version may or may not need active cooling depending on how well 16nm FinFet translates with the new Tegra. At low wattages I very much doubt it. If it's anything like the Desktop Variants we could be talking decent clock bumps and efficiency increases over Maxwell. The previous 20nm Maxwell Tegra was not Finfet, and it was well known Nvidia was unhappy with how it performed. It had almost no leakage or power consumption improvement over 28nm and had yield problems on top of all of that.

Dynamic clocks and resolutions for video cards and games aren't a new thing either, so seeing a boost in performance and resolution while docked isn't a terribly far fetched idea. I think the odds of the dock providing anything more than connectivity and power are slim to none. Adding USB ports, HDMI and Ethernet would be ideal, but I'm not counting on that last one.

Ck1

Banned
I disagree, I think it screams "NX exclusives will perform much better than ports, possibly good enough to look better than PS4 games!" Based on the current info about TX1 and Parker FP16 precision should perform at least twice as well as FP32, which means games developed from the ground up for NX will have a much higher Gflops number using mixed precision than the standard FP32 number we keep seeing. This means games made for the NX from the ground up (such as Nintendo games) will perform way better than quick ports, and it will likely be way more noticeable than it was with Wii U games.

That's a very interesting point, thank you for sharing. With new devkits being released this month (according to LCGeek) we might start to see some info on the new chip they're using and maybe developers will be told what the new functions of that chip are.

Edit:

Just a quick point, patent grant date means next to nothing. Companies release products with patents pending all the time, the allowance or rejection of that patent would not factor into Nintendo's plans or timeline, except for possibly the legal division.

I definitely understand that products are introduced all of the time while patents are pending, but we're talking about Nintendo here! They would never want to take the risk of some 3rd party developer completely spilling the beans on how their system fully works together before they themselves get a chance to demonstrate it to the world.

So my guess is that they themselves will formally introduce NX around the time these devkits get into developers hands. They will want to get ahead of any new leaks that may come out from these latest versions and present the new system on their terms to control the messaging to the public.

BuggyMike

Man, what could be such a secret that they've kept this thing under-wraps so well for so long. Even with the EG leak I feel like we still know next to nothing. This thing has to be packing something, I dont see a hybrid console being something the competition could successfully steal very well, so whats the big deal? I wonder what the big "gimmick" is that Nintendo's so worried about getting stolen.

LordOfChaos

Or maybe the dev kits have an actively cooled X1 for a reason - emulate the extra GPU by overclocking the unit. Devs wouldn't need to worry about the dock, the bus type and anything similar. That's the hardware layer, as long as Nintendo guarantees that performance will be similar, they couldn't care less.

Yeah, that was something I considered as part of this "theory" as well. OC the X1 to get as close to the GPU dock as possible and minimize the work required once the eGPU is added to the picture.

How weak are we dreaming up the eGPU to be if overclocking the Tegra GPU can make up for it?

With all the cooling in the world it's not like the GPU is going to clock to triple or quadruple its performance to emulate a dedicated card...And going through all that effort to try to make the Tegra seem closer to the dedicated GPU makes no sense if it just gets, like, 17% closer.

Plus it's a Maxwell Tegra already, being a dev kit for a Pascal tegra...The eGPU isn't needed to explain why its legs are being stretched.

I still think people are overthinking the fan too. It's a dev kit. It's expensive. It's also not consumer hardware. You don't care about designing something for fan noise, you want it to be as stable as a brick shithouse.

I definitely understand that products are introduced all of the time while patents are pending, but we're talking about Nintendo here! They would never want to take the risk of some 3rd party developer completely spilling the beans on how their system fully works together before they themselves get a chance to demonstrate it to the world.

Oh this could be possible, but again it has nothing to do with the grant date of the patent, which is what I thought you were saying. But yeah I wouldn't put it past them to hide this kind of functionality from developers to prevent leaks before the reveal.

This would still give them 6 months to optimize their games for multiple power levels, even though it would likely be frustrating for said developers.

This is sort of what I'm expecting...

NX releases, dock does nothing of note.

Next year, Dock+ releases as SCD, much like PS NEO or Xbox Scorpio... but instead of having to buy a whole new system, you buy a new dock with supplemental computing.

OR

Dock+ launches alongside NX and there is a pricing tier in place so you can buy one or both depending on your needs, wants, or budget. (and you can always upgrade after the fact...)

3rd party Dev kits are only focusing on the NX handheld as that's the base spec... anything else can be patched in.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Next year, Dock+ releases as SCD, much like PS NEO or Xbox Scorpio... but instead of having to buy a whole new system, you buy a new dock with supplemental computing.

OR

Dock+ launches alongside NX and there is a pricing tier in place so you can buy one or both depending on your needs, wants, or budget. (and you can always upgrade after the fact...)

3rd party Dev kits are only focusing on the NX handheld as that's the base spec... anything else can be patched in.

I think the bolded is much more likely.

Ogodei

"It might perform like it is, but I don't think anyone would claim so" about the system being more powerful than PS4 screams "additional SCD or power dock" to me.

That comment's actually in line with what Emily Rogers said, which is that it will look weaker on paper than it is in reality, likely as people try to rate Nvidia/ARM flops against AMD flops.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
That comment's actually in line with what Emily Rogers said, which is that it will look weaker on paper than it is in reality, likely as people try to rate Nvidia/ARM flops against AMD flops.

Agreed. It could also be due to having a really modern architecture or maybe even the fact that on a 540p screen, the visuals it would push could be very impressive.

Ck1

Banned
I think unlike Microsoft with the cloud for XbOne, SCD will be front and center in what make the NX experience unique... Nintendo will need to sell the buying public on the benefits of how this ecosystem will work and if having the SCD device will actually earn gamers enough good will, games and credits to warrant multiple devices and participate in this shared network idea.

If realworld statistics with these devices can generate anything close to a couple hundred dollars say in a year for users that lend processing power to the network, easily I will buy a couple of these things day one! No one needs to hard sell me on the idea of purchased hardware earning future money for future games simply by sharing it's abilities... (As long as it works as described of course)

Also overall I think this is the key factor of what they patented. The allowance of hardware to be used by the collective whole(network) and rewarding the user monetarily, with games, credit or whatever they plan on using hasn't been done before. This is the idea I think they're afraid of others stealing!

Both Sony and Microsoft can easily adopt cloud computing solutions for future consoles, but if Nintendo can make this work the way it's patented. It's a pretty original idea going forward for gaming

Flare

OR

I'm expecting the bolded as well.

Schnozberry

The fact that the person interviewed revealed no new information, and the only interesting items were just restated rumors that are already out there indicates somebody having a laugh by doing some trolling.

I'm expecting the bolded as well.

I was wondering if there was a reasoning for expecting this dock to be ready by 2018? I've noticed many people feel like if there is an SCD it won't be there day 1. I feel like if it's not there day 1, then Holiday 2017 would be perfect.

MDave

I need more leaks

Someone just leak the damn thing! Leak it to hell and back for christs sake I cant take another month of this cruelty :'(((

Enjoy these leaks in the mean time! Should make you feel better.

christmas-vacation2-plumbing-water-leak.gif

How weak are we dreaming up the eGPU to be if overclocking the Tegra GPU can make up for it?

With all the cooling in the world it's not like the GPU is going to clock to triple or quadruple its performance to emulate a dedicated card...And going through all that effort to try to make the Tegra seem closer to the dedicated GPU makes no sense if it just gets, like, 17% closer.

Plus it's a Maxwell Tegra already, being a dev kit for a Pascal tegra...The eGPU isn't needed to explain why its legs are being stretched.

I still think people are overthinking the fan too. It's a dev kit. It's expensive. It's also not consumer hardware. You don't care about designing something for fan noise, you want it to be as stable as a brick shithouse.
That's possible. It should be noted that the first Wii U dev kits were reportedly overheating to the point that they had to underclock them.

The fact that the person interviewed revealed no new information, and the only interesting items were just restated rumors that are already out there indicates somebody having a laugh by doing some trolling.

This interview happened in April. Was that before or after Emily made that one article?

Watching this review for Razer Blade Stealth and Razer Core graphics doc from Tek Syndycate is starting to give me a pretty good idea of what the NX is going to be.

The Razer Blade laptop is using an i5 with an on board intel 520 and 8GB of RAM, the Razer Core graphics doc is using a Radeon R9 Fury (it can use just about any GPU in the Doc, really) which is connected to the laptop using a thunder bolt connection.

Now external GPU's aren't really anything new for laptops, but the unified doc and laptop setup here is very similar to what we have been seeing from the Nintendo patents. I really am convinced this is what Nintendo is planning, but with a different implantation of the handheld portion of the machine. Which may very well just be a controller with a screen like the Wii-U.

Lighter end Tegra with a potential Pacal GPU in the handheld with a higher end Tegra in the doc.

I also think that Nintendo is keeping tight lipped on the hardware in the SCD just because they don't want any leaks on it before announcement so they are giving third party devs bare minimum requirements. Maybe they are going a PS4k/ Scorpio route and limiting games to the handheld spec and only using the SCD for resolution/ framerate bumps?

If we're going to speculate about Nvidia GPUs that could work in a SCD with a smallish power draw, what could be a likely candidate.

I was thinking the mobile GeForce 1060 could work.

Schnozberry

This interview happened in April. Was that before or after Emily made that one article?

Emily's Blog was May 13th. Semi-Accurate revealing the Nvidia information about NX was May 12th. Speculation that Nintendo would most likely use ARM had started long before that on GAF. The Nvidia element wasn't widely accepted until Eurogamer's article.

ggx2ac

Lighter end Tegra with a potential Pacal GPU in the handheld with a higher end Tegra in the doc.

I also think that Nintendo is keeping tight lipped on the hardware in the SCD just because they don't want any leaks on it before announcement so they are giving third party devs bare minimum requirements. Maybe they are going a PS4k/ Scorpio route and limiting games to the handheld spec and only using the SCD for resolution/ framerate bumps?

If we're going to speculate about Nvidia GPUs that could work in a SCD with a smallish power draw, what could be a likely candidate.

I don't know the cost of a GeForce 1060, I assume going with the post above yours, Nintendo would have gone with a higher clocked maybe more SMs Tegra and stuck it in the SCD than going for a 1060 for cost reasons. Again just assuming 1060 is more expensive and they'd prefer just matching/getting close to PS4 performance than to get to PS4 NEO performance. We don't know if Nintendo wants to rush to 4k resolution. lol

tarheel91

We're talking 2-4 SMs on the handheld clocked 700-400MHz. The 1060 has 10SMs and a 1700MHz boost clock. That's 10-15 times the performance and definite overkill unless they're trying to go from 540p to 4K-ish or something. The 1060 would likely be competitive with the PS4 Neo/Scorpio if not outperform them. That seems ridiculous given what we know. If I were Nintendo, I'd go with as high a SM count on the GPU as I could fit/afford for the efficiency benefits at low power and then upclock them for dock use.

Malakai

If that dock doesn't have any computational power it would be really wrong of Nintendo to chose to label it a "hybrid". Heck, I still feel like Eurogamer jumped the gun by using the "hybrid" label if they can't verify if the dock doesn't do more than mirror out the image via HDMI....

tarheel91

If that dock doesn't have any computational power it would be really wrong of Nintendo to chose to label it a "hybrid". Heck, I still feel like Eurogamer jumped the gun by using the "hybrid" label if they can't verify if the dock doesn't do more than mirror out the image via HDMI....

If they allow higher power consumption in docked mode, I feel hybrid is a fair label. If you can get twice the performance in docked mode, that's a major difference. Another thing I haven't seen much talk about is the option of active cooling in dock mode ala those laptop fan pads you can get.

majik13

I think unlike Microsoft with the cloud for XbOne, SCD will be front and center in what make the NX experience unique... Nintendo will need to sell the buying public on the benefits of how this ecosystem will work and if having the SCD device will actually earn gamers enough good will, games and credits to warrant multiple devices and participate in this shared network idea.

If realworld statistics with these devices can generate anything close to a couple hundred dollars say in a year for users that lend processing power to the network, easily I will buy a couple of these things day one! No one needs to hard sell me on the idea of purchased hardware earning future money for future games simply by sharing it's abilities... (As long as it works as described of course)

Also overall I think this is the key factor of what they patented. The allowance of hardware to be used by the collective whole(network) and rewarding the user monetarily, with games, credit or whatever they plan on using hasn't been done before. This is the idea I think they're afraid of others stealing!

Both Sony and Microsoft can easily adopt cloud computing solutions for future consoles, but if Nintendo can make this work the way it's patented. It's a pretty original idea going forward for gaming

What is this about a shared network, cloud gaming and earning money? I thought the SCD was all just a direct local add on module to boost power. Is this all just speculation or have I missed something about the SCD patent?

If they allow higher power consumption in docked mode, I feel hybrid is a fair label. If you can get twice the performance in docked mode, that's a major difference. Another thing I haven't seen much talk about is the option of active cooling in dock mode ala those laptop fan pads you can get.

How would the handheld cool the chipset in high power mode?

Edit... without something installed in the handheld for active cooling, that wouldn't work...

ggx2ac

What is this about a shared network, cloud gaming and earning money? I thought the SCD was all just a direct local add on module to boost power. Is this all just speculation or have I missed something about the SCD patent?

You probably forgot, briefly check the related patent threads and it mentions about getting rewards for sharing your SCD with other people's NXs.

Which referring to the other posts talking about active cooling right now.

I'm not going to bother thinking the NX has 2 performance modes while docked/undocked.

I'm going to assume now it's all the SCD. (No docks, unless the SCD is a dock.)

It's because of getting intrigued from how it said in the patent it would be able to improve graphics/audio wirelessly, not just with a wired connection.

Scenario:

I'm outside somewhere and I pass by someone's SCD. Don't know how close a distance I have to get but if they are sharing it to get rewards, I can use it to improve the visuals of the game I am playing in portable mode. Or at worst, only getting a CPU boost for AI and weather effects for example.

But it sounds awesome that this can be done wirelessly, assuming AC type wifi, I don't know about any better versions of wifi.

Edit: Would it be a huge battery drain?

Don't know but this would still be nice to use at home if I don't want to bother using the TV or can't use it.

Ck1

Banned

That's how the detailed description explains the overall purpose and working of the SCD device, no speculation on my part... Money might be subjective as I'm not sure what currency Nintendo will call it, but they definitely describe compensation for allowing usage of your SCD to the network.

Malakai

That talk I believe was in the other NX thread where the NX runs in a under clocked mode when undocked. One of the issues was heat disbursal when you undock the NX. (i.e. it would be vary hot to touch when you wanted to bring it with you if you were recently and/or currently play a game while docked)

Ck1

Banned
I don't know the cost of a GeForce 1060, I assume going with the post above yours, Nintendo would have gone with a higher clocked maybe more SMs Tegra and stuck it in the SCD than going for a 1060 for cost reasons. Again just assuming 1060 is more expensive and they'd prefer just matching/getting close to PS4 performance than to get to PS4 NEO performance. We don't know if Nintendo wants to rush to 4k resolution. lol

I'm not sure that Nintendo would even push for a bigger gpu for this, they probably negotiated to have a Pascal Tegra SoC in both the Base unit(undercloclocked) and SCD(standard clock speed). The patent shows multiple SCD's in the same given environment being tethered together, so essentially that's how you would add more processing power for gaming.

My greatest concerns that I have with all of this speculation isn't with hardware, because all of this that we're discussing is very possible to do today. It's more to do with the OS that will be needed in order for something like this to operate seamlessly and effortlessly, which the WiiU doesn't inspire confidence with that...

Watching this review for Razer Blade Stealth and Razer Core graphics doc from Tek Syndycate is starting to give me a pretty good idea of what the NX is going to be.

The Razer Blade laptop is using an i5 with an on board intel 520 and 8GB of RAM, the Razer Core graphics doc is using a Radeon R9 Fury (it can use just about any GPU in the Doc, really) which is connected to the laptop using a thunder bolt connection.

Now external GPU's aren't really anything new for laptops, but the unified doc and laptop setup here is very similar to what we have been seeing from the Nintendo patents. I really am convinced this is what Nintendo is planning, but with a different implantation of the handheld portion of the machine. Which may very well just be a controller with a screen like the Wii-U.

Seems like everyone is catching up to my thoughts.

ggx2ac

I'm not sure that Nintendo would even push for a bigger gpu for this, they probably negotiated to have a Pascal Tegra SoC in both the Base unit(undercloclocked) and SCD(standard clocks speed). The patent shows multiple SCD's in the same given environment being tethered together, so essentially that's how you would add more processing power for gaming.

That and it would probably be more preferable to have the SCD also utilise 16-bit floating point precision (16FP). I can't even remember if the GeForce 10xx series does that but as mentioned, it'd be too costly to use GeForce than just manufacturing more Tegra units.

tarheel91

How would the handheld cool the chipset in high power mode?

Edit... without something installed in the handheld for active cooling, that wouldn't work...

Handhelds are limited by power consumption vs. battery size more than heat dissipation. When you go from undocked to docked, you're going from a battery life bottle neck to a thermal bottle neck. Cooling through conduction into the body should work just fine. Granted, it might get hot to the touch like your phone can when it boosts clocks, but you're not holding the thing in docked mode.

The point is that if you have to limit yourself to 1.5-2W GPU power consumption in undocked mode for battery life, you can probably use 4-5W or more (this number is very dependent on the size and thermal design of the body) in docked mode and still be thermally okay.

Ck1

Banned
Let's discuss a couple of hypotheticals with this whole SCD idea. If everything works as patented and like Nintendo may want it to, have they found a way for gamers to not only earn money on the hardware they purchase but to also create an ecosystem to where your hardware doesn't lose value!

A piece of hardware that actually earns credit isn't going to be turned in quickly at GameStop, which means it will hold its resale value far longer than most consoles or gaming accessories do.

Handhelds are limited by power consumption vs. battery size more than heat dissipation. When you go from undocked to docked, you're going from a battery life bottle neck to a thermal bottle neck. Cooling through conduction into the body should work just fine. Granted, it might get hot to the touch like your phone can when it boosts clocks, but you're not holding the thing in docked mode.

The point is that if you have to limit yourself to 1.5-2W GPU power consumption in undocked mode for battery life, you can probably use 4-5W or more (this number is very dependent on the size and thermal design of the body) in docked mode and still be thermally okay.

...maybe... But Nintendo is usually averse to letting anything get hot...

ggx2ac

Let's discuss a couple of hypotheticals with this whole SCD idea. If everything works as patented and like Nintendo may want it to, have they found a way for gamers to not only earn money on the hardware they purchase but to also create an ecosystem to where your hardware doesn't lose value!

A piece of hardware that actually earns credit isn't going to be turned in quickly at GameStop, which means it will hold its resale value far longer than most consoles or gaming accessories do.

I'm still not sure if you would earn money per se. I think it would be equivalent to the mynintendo account currency. You either get silver coins or gold coins and use it on their rewards to get games discounted or bought outright.

I wouldn't mind if they could just let me do that on almost any game listed rather than what they put up. I have so many unused gold coins that are going to expire in a couple of months if Nintendo doesn't put up something in the rewards section I don't have.

...maybe... But Nintendo is usually averse to letting anything get hot...

Which I am glad for. I played Monster Strike last year on my phone and tablet and I hate holding it when it suddenly gets hot.

Banned
So, I just realized something, and saying this is going to piss some people off (even though I don't expect this to be true, but some people seem to be annoyed by any out-there speculation in general), but it's funny so I have to share it. So, you know how we were talking about what it could do in the dock to be more powerful?
I can feel the angry stares, and I haven't even made it to the looney part.
We've all come to the conclusion that underclocking when mobile and running at full speed in the dock is far more likely than there being a GPU in the dock, right? (Assuming that anything happens when in the dock at all.) Well, what if I told you that this is wrong and that the GPU in the dock is actually the more likely of the two scenarios based on what we know? Now, before you toss me into a padded room, just listen to my reasoning.

We've heard nothing about anything happening with the dock, and in fact we've been told that there's only one power level for the machine, period. Here's what I realized that we missed though: how would the dock actually work? I speculated that what could be done is to have the dock connect to the unit via PCIe. My reasoning for why this could work was that this is some which Tegra "Parker" is capable of. This has obviously been dismissed because "it's Nintendo" and because we'd have known about it already. Here's what's been missed, though: the current dev kits are not using Parker. In fact, it sounds like they're using an off-the-shelf Tegra X1, which would not be capable of communicating with a dedicated GPU over PCIe. This means that the only way for anyone to know if a GPU dock is planned is if they're told that it's planned. Meanwhile, there's nothing stopping Nintendo from waiting to reveal this, especially if it's optional or they make sure that only devs who truly need it are made aware of it before the reveal. After all, games would only need to be optimized for that mode to use the extra GPU, and that wouldn't be a super hard feat. So, we haven't heard about it because devs don't actually know about it!

I don't actually believe that this is this is the case. It's just a fun observation. please put the pitchfork down.
It's not that crazy but I still link it'll work like a laptop. Max speeds while docked, underclocked while in portable mode. Look like Xbox One games at 1080p while docked. 720p while portable but using the same assets since 720p shares the same quality of assets with 1080p whereas that wouldn't be the case with 540p.

With 540p, you'd need more scaling and two sets of assets in the cartridge. At 720p you'd need just once set of assets and the resolution drop should be enough.

Speely

Banned

That's a pretty interesting take on this. "Earn money" might be a stretch, but "save money" might not be. Regardless, it's a reasonable and relevant point to bring up when most folks are just concerned with FLOPS.

ckfy63a

So...did Rosti ever provide any basis for saying the announcement of the reveal would come on the 18th at the earliest? We have Hot Chips Nvidia event coming up after the 18th, so I was thinking that the announcement would come 22nd at the earliest...any reason it should come before then?

Banned
So my above post also explains why I think it would make more sense for Nintendo to go with a 720p screen.

And the SCD likely was never a day one product. I expect it around holiday 2017 to put a dent in the Scorpio hype and improve the looks of NX games.

ggx2ac

So my above post also explains why I think it would make more sense for Nintendo to go with a 720p screen.

And the SCD likely was never a day one product. I expect it around holiday 2017 to put a dent in the Scorpio hype and improve the looks of NX games.

What would the SCD have in it that would supposedly put a dent in Scorpio hype?

Speely

Banned
So...did Rosti ever provide any basis for saying the announcement of the reveal would come on the 18th at the earliest? We have Hot Chips Nvidia event coming up after the 18th, so I was thinking that the announcement would come 22nd at the earliest...any reason it should come before then?

To be specific, Rosti said to not expect it before the 18th. That does not conflict with it coming on the 22nd, or thereabouts.

Edit: there could be any number of reasons it might come before Hot Chips. Ninty not wanting to be outshone, etc. If there IS a Hot Chips reference to the NX, though, Nintendo would certainly want to get in front of that.

Banned
Well a promised boost in specs to please current nx owners that will cost much less than a Scorpio. A novel idea. Should do great as a holiday piece of hardware. Sell it separately for current nx owners that holiday. Bundle it with NX's for people who are looking to buy an NX.

This is all speculation of course.

Also, Nintendo has failed to deliver news, Rosti. Prepare for nudes in your inbox.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

A real scorpion. It's called the Scorpion Companion Device for a reason. A real scorpion is better than whatever the Scorpio will be because it's got that big N!

Also, Nintendo has failed to deliver news, Rosti. Prepare for nudes in your inbox.

This amuses me because on some parts of GAF nudes are gifts.

Anyway, about NX...

I say we'll hear next week about an event. And that some website will have a report about the new devkits by the end of the month. Assuming sources have continued to talk. I'd like a "confirmation" of the chip and architecture at some point this year.

Schnozberry

That's a pretty interesting take on this. "Earn money" might be a stretch, but "save money" might not be. Regardless, it's a reasonable and relevant point to bring up when most folks are just concerned with FLOPS.

It's a more interesting proposition than graphics, which is why the SCD doesn't make sense as a device with significant processing power. If a consumer product does come from that patent, it seems to make more sense as a home hub for your NX for cloud features and storage. It will have to come at a consumer friendly price up front to make any sense to people, and it has to add significant value over time.

MuchoMalo

Banned

Closer, not close. I don't really think anything of the fan tbh, especially since even reaching the same level as the full X1 passively is a stretch, let alone possibly going beyond it.

Just remember that my previous post was more of an observation than anything.

ggx2ac

It's a more interesting proposition than graphics, which is why the SCD doesn't make sense as a device with significant processing power. If a consumer product does come from that patent, it seems to make more sense as a home hub for your NX for cloud features and storage. It will have to come at a consumer friendly price up front to make any sense to people, and it has to add significant value over time.

That's why I've argued a few times for it to be affordable. It's going to be more than just a wired external GPU, hence why I thought it'd make sense just using the same GPU as used in the NX for cost effectiveness. (I think it was Mr. Cunningham that suggested a Tegra.)

I think anyone thinking it will have an RX 480 or a GeForce 1060 might get disappointed.

And since the SCD has these particular features, I'd expect it to launch within the first 6 months if it doesn't at launch.

Banned
This dock will likely have:

HDMI port
AC adapter power supply
Ethernet port
Infrared port
Bluetooth
Codec for LPCM 5.1 (If NX only supports stereo sound in home mode I will scream)

For the love of God Nintendo, fucking get a Dolby licence this time so I can watch Netflix and crunchyroll in 5.1 since they don't support LPCM.

Edit: No fan. Wouldn't make sense in a dock lol. Maybe a fan that activates inside the NX when in the dock?

A small fan, huh?

This thread has been a fascinating read. I've slowly seen some of you grow so confident in what you originally posited as mere speculation that I fear for your health once the damn thing is actually revealed.

Peterthumpa

A small fan, huh?

This thread has been a fascinating read. I've slowly seen some of you grow so confident in what you originally posited as mere speculation that I fear for your health once the damn thing is actually revealed.

Haha, was thinking the same thing earlier today, this one is going to the history books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom