• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America says Metroid Prime 4 and "new Pokemon game" are 2018 titles

TDLink

The statement can be read as Metroid being next year but the new pokemon being an additional announcement, beyond 2018.

Still, even just Metroid next year would be surprising given they only showed a logo.

border

Like Zelda, Mario and Splatoon, ARMS for 2016. Totally yes.

Except you have forgotten about Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario Kart 8 DX, Pokken DX, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

If Nintendo can publish 8 games in 2017, why do you think they will only publish 4 in 2018? As their 3DS and WiiU development teams merge and begin work on a single platform, their output is only going to increase.

Pineapple

Would Pokemon on the Switch in 2018 really be a Gen 8 game? Two years from Sun/Moon to Gen 8 just seems...incredibly fast. Especially since this is a brand new system with a lot more power than Game Freak is used to, which gives them quite a few more possibilities in terms of world design.

A representative of a company suggests they're going to do a thing.

You continuously argue the impossibility of that thing because reasons.
Who's arguing there's more ppl getting mad at ppl being skeptical.

Aggressive defense

Things happen,problems occur we've had delays from all these companies so many times this gen nobody here is in the wrong for being skeptical

Game Freak has released a Pokemon game every year since 2010, have they not?

Not necessarily expecting a new generation or anything. Either they're releasing a Pokemon game on Switch next year, another one on 3DS, or they're breaking a precedent that has persisted through this entire decade.

Edit: shit, they didn't release one in 2015. Every year except 2015, then. But the streak started in 09 so whatevs.

There was also a gap in 2011. Japan already had Black and white released in 2010 but everywhere else got in 2011.

Pokemon didn't get simultaneous year release until Black and White 2 at 2012.

Similarly, Diamond and Pearl released only in Japan in 2006 while the rest of the world got it in 2007.

JoeM86

They're working on Ultra sun/moon, which means they have no new Pokemon or engine to work on for that game. There is no way Pokemon switch has not been in development for some time now even though we've seen nothing yet; which is also normal. With an average of 10k Polys on the already existing Pokemon models (which already have walk/flight animations) I really don't expect them to be making new models for the switch game at all.

Now I would expect content to be thinner than subsequent generations on the same hardware, just like X/Y was low on content when they switched to 3D. I would still be happy with that nonetheless. Also I see no reason to not believe them when they say the game is a year out, they have to have been doing something with the switch for a while now.

No, I fully expect them to have been working on Generation 8 since early to mid 2016. That fits established patterns.

The problem here is that people are thinking "Oh Nintendo need Pokémon on the Switch" and are not considering the fact that The Pokémon Company do things their own way in their own time with their own established patterns of behaviour.

Would Pokemon on the Switch in 2018 really be a Gen 8 game? Two years from Sun/Moon to Gen 8 just seems...incredibly fast. Especially since this is a brand new system with a lot more power than Game Freak is used to, which gives them quite a few more possibilities in terms of world design.

Diamond/Pearl remake?

There is just no way Metroid Prime 4 makes it in 2018. There is just no way.

Do you know how long they've been working on it? Nintendo frequently reveals games close to release. The reason why we got a title card is so they weren't overwhelmed with internet rage when the 3DS game was shown off.

border

Not necessarily expecting a new generation or anything. Either they're releasing a Pokemon game on Switch next year, another one on 3DS, or they're breaking a precedent that has persisted through this entire decade.

Game Freak releases Pokemon games pretty frequently.

They do not release Core RPG Pokemon games very frequently.

In the Nintendo Direct, they explicitly stated they were make a core RPG.

Then they will have to show us something this year. Be it screenshots or trailer.

Pokemon is always revealed in the same year it is released. For Metroid I wouldn't expect anything until they are done marketing their big guns from this year like Mario

Speaking of which where is the anime right now?

Aleh

Diamond/Pearl remake?

FFFs they wouldn't jump on a new hardware with anything but a new generation. That would create communication problems with 3DS Gen 7 games, and then also lose compatibility with the Gen 8 games resulting in them only being compatible with themselves, which isn't happening.
And no, the 3DS won't get DP remakes ._.

All of the games that have been announced with no trailers or screens have other entries in their franchises releasing this year. Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and Metroid.

That seems to be the pattern here: they don't want to show off a Switch game if there's another similar game in the franchise releasing before it. Let's see if that pattern holds up in the future.

JoeM86

Pokemon is always revealed in the same year it is released. For Metroid I wouldn't expect anything until they are done marketing their big guns from this year like Mario

Speaking of which where is the anime right now?

Diamond & Pearl were revealed in October 2004, no new info until May 2006 and launch in September 2006

And the anime has Ash just about to leave for Akala Island tomorrow

What was the Persona 5 situation? Other than it getting delayed ofc. Did someone announce a date and then got flak for it?
Altus USA Pr assures ppl it was 2015 than 2016 of course fans got on his case like it was all his fault

Diamond & Pearl were revealed in October 2004, no new info until May 2006 and launch in September 2006

And the anime has Ash just about to leave for Akala Island tomorrow
And that's only temporary right he's going back to Melemele

Timeaisis

No footage with the reveal leads me to believe this is not true. I guess they could surprise us with E3 2018, releases in December, but somehow I don't see that happening.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Metroid Prime 4 seems like a stretch unless there was a Wii U version already underway.

Pokemon I can totally see. This years 3DS game is just an enhanced version of Sun/Moon, so I could definitely see them putting more of their resources toward a new game for Switch late 2018 as it's probably been in the works for a bit.

Zedark

All of the games that have been announced with no trailers or screens have other entries in their franchises releasing this year. Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and Metroid.

That seems to be the pattern here: they don't want to show off a Switch game if there's another similar game in the franchise releasing before it. Let's see if that pattern holds up in the future.
Same thing seemingly happened with FE Warriors: it didn't get a full reveal until after FE Echoes released.

Metroid Prime 4 seems like a stretch unless there was a Wii U version already underway.
I mean, Nintendo will have started development for Switch years before it released, so a Metro's Prime game that started in 2015 could very well release in 2018 and have always been planned for Switch.

Apparently Nintendo not showing anything about the title, somehow, means they've done next to no work on it instead of it meaning they simply don't want to show off anything about the title

In the case of Metroid Prime 4, the logo they showed wasn't even unique ffs. It was literally Metroid Prime 3's logo with Metroid Prime's title music in the background.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Metroid Prime 4 in 2018?!

I remember something:
- this game is coming 2015?
- It is
maxresdefault.jpg

a916

They are both less than 1.5 years from release... and you couldn't bother to even give us a title screen with Pokemon? lol

I get trying to quiet the rabid fanbase down, but I'm not a fan of the way they did it.

TS-08

Listen. There's a good chance neither of these games get released next year. But can we not compare these games to a 3D Zelda? That series' history of delays makes it impossible to use as precedence elsewhere.

border

So you think they just sit around making an enhanced version of SM for the 3DS for all this time and just now started to make a Switch game? A 2019 release would mean over 2 years from their announcement, not simply more than a year.

I expect they went through major crunch to get Sun/Moon out the door, then began to ramp up production on Pokemon Switch once SM was finished. "More than a year" can mean 2 years, 3 years.....any number greater than 1. If they were that confident about the release window I suspect the wording would not have been as vague.

GeneralSmiley

Neo Member
Metroid Prime 4 in 2018?!

I remember something:
- this game is coming 2015?
- It is

I do think they finished it and then decided it was a waste to send it die on the Wii U. I mean, I wish they hadn't but you can see it made a lot of sense and has definitely contributed to Switch hype whereas it could only have done a little to reverse the Wii U's fate.

Aleh

They are both less than 1.5 years from release... and you couldn't bother to even give us a title screen with Pokemon? lol

I get trying to quiet the rabid fanbase down, but I'm not a fan of the way they did it.

They weren't going to show us anything with Ultra Sun and Moon coming out this year

Top Bottom