• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spotlight Presentation (their E3 conference) to be 30 Minutes in length

Status
Not open for further replies.

XandBosch

Well, if there was ever an e3 where you could gain al the spotlight with a big surprise annoucement it's this one... Very poor showing so far.

BG&E 2 is the leader in the clubhouse (just ahead of Anthem, probably), let's see if Nintendo has anything that can match that for hype.

Until they revealed that it's not close to being completed lol.

I don't see the Rainway thing being a thing. It's awesome to dream, but you guys can really picture Nintendo allowing that? I dunno man....

If it happens that's it, a trillion console sales and dozens of indie/multiplatform sales. At that point it would be dumb to buy a game that's also on PC.

XandBosch

If it happens that's it, a trillion console sales and dozens of indie/multiplatform sales. At that point it would be dumb to buy a game that's also on PC.

I just don't see it because Nintendo is ALL about controlling their ecosystem, and this would blow it completely wide open. Sure it'd be great for gamers, but I just can't see Nintendo doing it. People would be playing all kinds of fucked up shit on the Switch and throwing it on the internet. Suddenly they have parents not wanting to buy their console because there's a video of some dude playing some fucked up game on it.

13ruce

Banned
Is this gonna be just like E3 2012, where everyone was hoping Nintendo would save it, then they crashed, and everyone cried out Ubisoft as the winner?
Time is a loop guys.

Zelda last year was the most talked game of E3 on social media i expect Mario Odyssey doing the same with the lacklustre other showings so far.

And last years e3 was pretty good actually and they managed to get away with showing a single game. The Spotlight just needs to be on point and show some cool games.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I don't see the Rainway thing being a thing. It's awesome to dream, but you guys can really picture Nintendo allowing that? I dunno man....

If you could run the Playstation Remote Play or Xbox Play Anywhere applications, you could potentially play every current console on Switch.

Is this gonna be just like E3 2012, where everyone was hoping Nintendo would save it, then they crashed, and everyone cried out Ubisoft as the winner?
Time is a loop guys.
Mario Odyssey is confirmed to show up tomorrow and considering past trends, Xenoblade 2 will make an appearance as well. Those two games alone are more compelling than anything they showed in 2012 and we already know about them. I'm not expecting them to drop megatons left and right but going off the Switch's 2017 lineup alone, the Spotlight should be solid.

MoonFrog

So I'll be looking for/at:

-Metroid

-Mario. I'm completely sold on it and don't really want too much gameplay from it. Perhaps I'll leave the conference more clear on how I feel about exploration/adventure Mario returning.

-XB2. The game did not impress me in January. The landscapes and music I trust to be beautiful. I didn't like the character art or the limited dialogue we got. So if I walk away with a better impression of the characters and story from E3, that's positive movement.

I'd also like to see evolution of the combat system. I think it falls short as an action system and as a party-based system. It is good for mmo-lite, and I mean that seriously. The characters/roles are more distinct and defined and different to play than in most such games. But I really think unless you turn such a system into rts-like micromanagement or automation, it is never going to live up to such a game with other players or the extent of team control in a classic JRPG. And then, you can't build on that towards better party play, starting from behind.

I'd like to see XB push into action, turn-based, or a heavier tactical real-time system, personally. I doubt it will, but I'll be curious what they do do to the battle system.

-Japanese third party games: I'd like to see JRPGs, VN/adventure games, and action games announced and/or shown for Switch targeting 2018.

-2018 first party games. What is Retro working on? How does FE look?

-VC plans. Date, GCN, general look at how well it'll be supported.

sfried

Save us from this madness Nintendo. Although I really have low expectation for Nintendo too...

Considering I think Nintendo already "blew its load" regarding surprise announcements, thanks Pokemon Direct with Pokken DX, to Ubisoft heavily featuring Mario + Rabbids, and Bethesda's trailer for Skyrim and amiibo support, now's never been a better time to actually unviel whatever has been cooking at Retro or any other new IP they're planning on Switch.

In fact, I really have no expectations at all with this Direct, but there has to be at least one or two surprise announcements somewhere.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Mario Odyssey is confirmed to show up tomorrow and considering past trends, Xenoblade 2 will make an appearance as well. Those two games alone are more compelling than anything they showed in 2012 and we already know about them. I'm not expecting them to drop megatons left and right but going off the Switch's 2017 lineup alone, the Spotlight should be solid.

Yeah, with 25 minutes, I suppose we can all take comfort in the fact it can't be terrible.

So I'll be looking for/at:

-Metroid

-Mario. I'm completely sold on it and don't really want too much gameplay from it. Perhaps I'll leave the conference more clear on how I feel about exploration/adventure Mario returning.

-XB2. The game did not impress me in January. The landscapes and music I trust to be beautiful. I didn't like the character art or the limited dialogue we got. So if I walk away with a better impression of the characters and story from E3, that's positive movement.

I'd also like to see evolution of the combat system. I think it falls short as an action system and as a party-based system. It is good for mmo-lite, and I mean that seriously. The characters/roles are more distinct and defined and different to play than in most such games. But I really think unless you turn such a system into rts-like micromanagement or automation, it is never going to live up to such a game with other players or the extent of team control in a classic JRPG. And then, you can't build on that towards better party play, starting from behind.

I'd like to see XB push into action, turn-based, or a heavier tactical real-time system, personally. I doubt it will, but I'll be curious what they do do to the battle system.

-Japanese third party games: I'd like to see JRPGs, VN/adventure games, and action games announced and/or shown for Switch targeting 2018.

-2018 first party games. What is Retro working on? How does FE look?

-VC plans. Date, GCN, general look at how well it'll be supported.
I'll tell you right now the spotlight is only 25 mins. They wont be talking about any services at all.

Considering I think Nintendo already "blew its load" regarding surprise announcements, thanks Pokemon Direct with Pokken DX, to Ubisoft heavily featuring Mario + Rabbids, and Bethesda's trailer for Skyrim and amiibo support, now's never been a better time to actually unviel whatever has been cooking at Retro or any other new IP they're planning on Switch.

In fact, I really have no expectations at all with this Direct, but there has to be at least one or two surprise announcements somewhere.
I...I said the same thing about Sony's presser.

I don't think we're gonna get anything shocking tomorrow.

Nintendo is probably just gonna show more of what we know is coming. Hopefully nothing gets pushed back to 2018.

unbiasedgamer

Neo Member
This is a spotlight for 2017. For the rest of the year Nntendo is covered for the most part. I think they will announce something for October.

June
Arms

July
Splatoon 2

August
Mario Rabbids

September
Poken delux

October

November
Mario odyssey

December
Xeno 2 ??

jorgejjvr

The Ubisoft one was actually great. Two emotional moments with the Mario game director and Ancel at the end. That's something only possible on a live event.

The Nintendo showcase probably won't have enough games. 25 minutes, some heavy hitters have already been revealed and 3DS has to be covered as well. There will also be indies, eventually.
No 3ds during the spotlight. Only switch

XandBosch

This is a spotlight for 2017. For the rest of the year Nntendo is covered for the most part. I think they will announce something for October.

June
Arms

July
Splatoon 2

August
Mario Rabbids

September
Poken delux

October

November
Mario odyssey

December
Xeno 2 ??

Fire Emblem Warriors.

I only need to see Mario Odyssey then I'm good. Maybe Bayonetta 1, 2 port... I never own WiiU ;_;

psyfi

Banned
Man I really hope Nintendo announces the new and improved virtual console. I'm eager to start collecting some of my old favorites on the Switch. I know it sounds vague, but I never bought many VC games on the 3DS or Wii U because I didn't really like playing on those devices. But man, the Switch is a joy to use.

I could really go for some Link's Awakening and Advance Wars 2 right now.

Astral Dog

Nintendo had their own special press conference to sell the world on the Switch, and it was mediocre for most of the 90 minute runtime. I highly doubt they'll be able to blow us away in a third of the time.
Nope, no.

Their big guns were in january this is marketing for their summer/holiday lineup (with a potential surprise or two), wich admitedly isn't so bad.

Expect lots of Mario and Xenoblade footage however :)

RootCause

I don't think we're gonna get anything shocking tomorrow.

Nintendo is probably just gonna show more of what we know is coming. Hopefully nothing gets pushed back to 2018.

Didn't Xeno 2 get pushed already?

I'm expecting Arms, Splatoon 2, FE Warriors, BOTW dlc, Ubi collab, and MarioO. I'm not expecting megatons.
Metroid pls

I think Nintendo's E3 will be decent due to Mario, but there won't be any big surprises. $5 they talk about ARMS for a few minutes despite it coming out this week.

J@hranimo

Banned
So how's everyone's pessimism leading into tomorrow? Mine is pretty low mainly due to Treehouse showcase being amazing and the invitationals being exciting.

Cwarrior

Nintendo might as well delete the Nintendo direct video file, there's no away they can top Evil within 2, ubisoft press conference and Microsoft.

Laieon

Not expecting them in the spotlight (treehouse hopefully), but I'm hoping to hear release dates for indie ports like Towerfall, Stardew Valley, Owlboy, Duckgame, and Terraria.

I'm not really excited for Arms, Splatoon, or Pokken, so I'm hoping the 2nd 1/2 of the year is at least fairly indie heavy if we're not getting anymore non-indie games.

what

source? not the OP cuz that only talks about Treehouse.

I don't read Japanese, but the Japanese stream description doesn't say anything about 3DS.

jmizzal

Nintendo was actually mentioned at 2 different press conference. Times have changed. If they can nail it and keep up the Switch sale momentum up until next E3 they may actually get ports announced at the next E3. Stranger things have happened.

I can't wait until tomorrows Spotlight.

And they had games at 4 press confs., MS, EA, Bethesda and Ubisoft

xequalsy

All I want is information about Mario, so, I'll definitely be happy tomorrow.

Just hope the conference isn't too disappointing for everyone else though, GAF is a bit of a downer to read when people get too salty/depressed like after the Jan reveal.

XandBosch

Nintendo might as well delete the Nintendo direct video file, there's no away they can top Evil within 2, ubisoft press conference and Microsoft.

Lol you're in the wrong thread, buddy. Evil Within 2 was a cinematic trailer, whoop dee doo, Microsoft showed a bunch of games that you don't need their new console for, and Ubisoft was decent, but nothing special. Beyond Good and Evil was cool until they revealed they need players to help complete their game haha.

Vinnk

Low expectations.

More info for Mario Odyssey
Some new footage/stages/weapons in Splatoon2
A peek at the story DLC in Zelda BOTW
Xenoblade 2 footage (though perhaps announcing a delay to go with it)
Indies sizzle reel
Maybe a 3rd party sizzle reel (if there is enough to show)
and maybe one mid range surprise on the level of Captain Toad or a Kirby.

I think anything more will be 2018 range titles.

But even if that it I might win this disappointing E3.

Now I'm sad.

ggx2ac

Cross post.

https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/874462084506951680

DCKwai4UAAAeRVd.jpg

This is the belt you'll win at the ARMS Open Invitational.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom