• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo will never make a game using good graphics again cause you pay $60 indie-like

Shut0wen

This is why Nintendo games tend to age better than others.

Honestly I think graphics are great these days. What devs need to focus on making the game worlds more dense and more physical/ interactive while having Atleast a solid 60FPS.

I wouldn’t mind if devs just spent one console gen doing that. I’m not even excited by hyper realistic graphics when the end game struggles to run at 60. Or worse still has bland mechanics. I want to see game mechanics and art style take precedent. Who really gives a shit how real they can make hair look? Spend the resources on game mechanics instead…. And some super talented imaginative visual artists to really give it life.
100% couldnt tell you how many games on 360 and ps2 that blew me away and now have aged like shit while wind waker still looks and plays like a modern game

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
we literally had prime 4 in this direct which has some damn good graphic for a switch game, so even if it was not a stupid point, it wouldn't even be true
there is a thread dedicated to Metroid Prime 4. It is being compared with Halo 4 yes Halo 4.
Nintendo made a big mistake in not having studied the design of other games, one of Nintendo's secrets is to make games with stages set in places that make comparisons with other games difficult, in this case they made a big mistake.

Shut0wen

Art style + graphics > graphics.
IJ9rf6F.jpeg
2xve27M.jpeg

Id rather play the game with shitty graphics and a decent art style bro

I agree that Nintendo games don’t need to chase realism, but I also agree that Switch games prices are too expensive. I don’t mind them selling Tears of the Kingdom for $70, but I mind that you can’t find Breath of the Wild on deal for $30. They should allow their older games to get bigger discounts more often. So, it’s hard for me to invest in their franchises when they cost so much.

I like that they have been porting older games to Switch and I want them to do more of that (where’s Luigi’s Mansion 1? Metroid Prime 2 & 3?) this allows newcomers like me to jump in into their game series, but also, if these entries are not priced accordingly, it’s hard to justify the price on admission.

I love the charming, colourful style of Nintendo's first party games personally with my only real criticism of Switch games being how ugly the image quality can be when played on a 4K TV due to most of them not having any anti-aliasing or even anisotropic texture filtering. Hopefully, the Switch 2 will improve things here. Even if the image quality is still not quite there, I expect the quality of the actual games will more than make up for it. And what is more important at the end of the day... how a game looks or how a game plays?

Otherwise, having much simpler hardware means that Nintendo are pretty much the only one releasing a steady stream of quality first party games. This is something Microsoft have struggled with for the last decade and even Sony are starting to struggle with.

Geometric-Crusher

I agree that Nintendo games don’t need to chase realism, but I also agree that Switch games prices are too expensive. I don’t mind them selling Tears of the Kingdom for $70
but you should

Nintendo has the right not to pursue realism but you have the right to avoid an overpriced product. (remember a game needs to have its price proportional to the technology used on it)

Okay, you're just a single person, but it's a matter of principle, others will join in, forcing Nintendo to review this pricing policy.
Don't make a mistake, buy Zelda 2d, say goodbye forever to a traditional Zelda game because they will see that you pay more for less.

Last edited:

Geometric-Crusher

Yes ofc, Nintendo is the only company that makes real games. Nevermind Horizon's critical acclaim and high sales.
Ori and the Will of the Wisps It's as good as a Nintendo game, it looks better than all the 2D games (on the Switch itself). You can buy the Steam version for a few dollars and play on SteamDeck. But Nintendo tries to include something intangible in it's similar games that at the end of the day comes down to its logo. yes there is a world of games beyond the Nintendo ecosystem. I want anyone who has followed the topic so far to know this. It's more difficult now for them to differentiate their games from other games with a smaller scope on the market, except for the price and confidence that no one will say that the king is naked.

I don't care how good the graphics are if the rest of the game sucks. Considering how much AAA budgets have ballooned to ludicrous levels while the overall quality has stagnated or even worse dropped, "moar graphics" serves as more of a red flag than a selling point.

Gameplay, performance (i.e. framerate & frame pacing), and art style/direction should always take precedence over graphics.

God, I sure wish I could have a - as you put it - "sentence below my avatar" too... :unsure:
I used to have some title for a thread I made a long time ago but I guess the form migrated at some point over the years and those titles were lost but I'm not really sure what happened. I just know one time after coming back my title had disappeared.

Durin

All chasing graphics has done is make AAA a wasteland of creativity coasting on cinematic storytelling because they take no real risk on gameplay anymore.

Higher fidelity graphics are making the games take too long to produce, getting us awkward attempts at hero shooters again long after interest in that trend has faded.

Then we're also seeing diminished returns on how impressive those visual increases even are to most people, while the budgets are unsustainable.

Nintendo going lower budget with good aesthetics, pushing gameplay first, and I can take that with me on the go is a better approach.

I'm more excited for the Switch 2 bringing PS4 to PS4 Pro level visuals in my hand than the PS5 Pro doing better ray-tracing.

buenoblue

Yeah I do miss cutting edge Nintendo from the N64 era. Even switch games in 4k on a PC can look pretty rough. Imagine what they could do on a 10tf machine.

I bet they could come up with some great gameplay ideas for raytracing and stuff

buenoblue

I used to have some title for a thread I made a long time ago but I guess the form migrated at some point over the years and those titles were lost but I'm not really sure what happened. I just know one time after coming back my title had disappeared.
Sure, sure it did 👌 😂😂

I used to have a custom title until I took a needle and thread to the knee 😂

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
This is thread is like what I have to deal with daily from my “gamer” retard friend who has assburgers disease while also being naive and a simpleton.

Geometric-Crusher

Yeah I do miss cutting edge Nintendo from the N64 era. Even switch games in 4k on a PC can look pretty rough. Imagine what they could do on a 10tf machine.

I bet they could come up with some great gameplay ideas for raytracing and stuff
Yes they can but read the title of this thread.

Thaedolus

Nintendo put out the best Metroid game in like 20 years and it looks great, and they’re dropping the next one next year and it’ll probably be cross-gen and looks even better.

In conclusion:
High School No GIF

darthkarki

Gold Member
(remember a game needs to have its price proportional to the technology used on it)

This seems to be your central premise, and so my question is: what makes you think that premise is correct?

Which should cost more: Hellblade 2, or Helldivers 2? The technology in Hellblade is far more advanced, so clearly that, right? Tears of the Kingdom has the most advanced and robust physics engine of any game this generation, so clearly it should have cost $100.

Should a movie cost less if it's filmed with a RED camera vs an IMAX camera, since the IMAX camera is more expensive? Or should we maybe just focus on whether the movie itself was actually good or not?

Should music cost more if it was composed with an orchestra vs a solo artist? Or is beauty in the ear of the listener?

They used to make games with great graphics but they stopped doing that almost 20 years ago.
Because no one was buying their consoles, so graphics clearly aren't the selling point people think they are. Great graphics are useless without a great game underneath.

Last edited:

Geometric-Crusher

This seems to be your central premise, and so my question is: what makes you think that premise is correct?
I prefer to avoid this debate because you seem determined to 'prove' that Nintendo's production costs are compatible with current gen AAA, sorry that's not happening.

It's not me, Iwata made it clear that they need to keep the customer distant from the real values of the thing.

"With regard to the influence on the Wii U, what we have to take most seriously is that the price markdown could damage the trust of the consumers who bought the Nintendo 3DS just after the launch. I feel greatly accountable for it. Our decision of the price markdown this time has a side effect that, at the launch of the Wii U, people may feel that the price might drop in the near future if they wait. Nevertheless, we have decided to cut down the price of the Nintendo 3DS as we consider it as a necessary decision now. What we will be able to do to recover the consumers' trust before the launch of the Wii U is very important to us."

It's a fight where the most patient wins. If each of the 60 Nintendo fans who posted here multiplies this information, Nintendo will soon change.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

Because no one was buying their consoles, so graphics clearly aren't the selling point people think they are. Great graphics are useless without a great game underneath.
That means their games weren't good back then? And they were only selling graphics. I don't think so. Their consoles weren't selling because they lacked third party support and Playstation games offerings were far far superior.

Their games now are stuck in the past graphically, I haven't played a Nintendo game in a while but i bet you still have to hit the boss three times, before the boss change their weak point or way to defeat it. They don't license music at all. They are set in their old fashioned ways, and the customers are paying prime prices for lackluster lazy remasters.
We are playing VIDEO games, Graphics DO matter, people are just settling with crappy graphics and high prices from them. ART style plus good to great graphics are always welcomed.

Last edited:

darthkarki

Gold Member
I prefer to avoid this debate because you seem determined to 'prove' that Nintendo's production costs are compatible with current gen AAA, sorry that's not happening.

I didn't say anything about production cost. I actually have no idea what you are talking about, my point was the exact opposite of that. I'm just trying to help you understand that this is why you are getting such pushback on your statement that Nintendo games cost too much: you haven't proved your premise that technology (or now it seems that's changing to production cost) should be related to the consumer cost of the product.

Maybe Nintendo's dev costs are a tenth of a typical AAA game. So what? What is your point? I don't see how that matters. If I think game A is a 10/10 that I can play for hundreds of hours, and game B is 7/10 and five hours long, explain to me why it matters that game B cost more to make.

You realize you are the one that instigated this discussion by creating this thread, right? Why did you do that if you don't want to discuss it?

Last edited:
Sure, sure it did 👌 😂😂

I used to have a custom title until I took a needle and thread to the knee 😂
😆, it was the first thread I ever made here. Title used to be "How do I plugged Wii?" Because I was younger and made a really stupid topic because I was trying to figure out component cables for Wii as I couldnt get it to display on my television even though the Gamecube was working fine.. but basically never plugged it in and that's why it wasn't working, 😅😂

But there must have been some kind of migration of the forum, this was almost 20 years ago. Not sure where it went. 🤷

KXVXII9X

swl7jthexl201.jpg

horizon-zero-dawn2.jpg

Only one of them was worth $60 and got all the praise
To be fair, both were extremely successful games. I'm not a big fan of Horizon and thought Zelda BotW's physics and interactivity blew me away a lot more, but Horizon was definitely a strong, new IP that is still being heavily supported.

In before the chodes pushing the false dichotomy of Nintendo gameplay versus AAA gaming graphics; as if the two are mutually exclusive and it isn't entirely Nintendo's choice to make gimped hardware that doesn't emphasize graphics.

Yes Gaf, it is possible. We could have Nintendo gameplay quality with top tier graphics rendering technology... It's just that Nintendo doesn't give a shit.

If you do, you shouldn't defend them. But instead demand more.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Stop making sense!! Nintendo fans not gonna like this
But Nintendo games look great to those many people that like them, they don't have "bad graphics" as they do for you and OP... Also, did we make sure OP play on PC primarily? Because of not he has no valid argument anyway lol

Zannegan

Gold Member
But Nintendo games look great to those many people that like them, they don't have "bad graphics" as they do for you and OP... Also, did we make sure OP play on PC primarily? Because of not he has no valid argument anyway lol
You're right, but going to get the reply, "But some people just don't want to play on PC," as if it's radically different than playing on consoles.

Top Bottom