• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo will never make a game using good graphics again cause you pay $60 indie-like

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
Personally, I don’t want Nintendo to change the way they are making games. Sure, the hardware isn’t cutting edge, but the games are good. There is absolutely zero reason to believe that the games would remain as good if Nintendo had to chase much higher revenue in order to make up for the much higher production costs.

As far as AAA games go, the industry is kind of trash right now. Please tell me what amazing high production first party games we have seen from Microsoft or Sony this gen. You can probably count them on one hand.

Think of it like a car in a racing game. Sure you can add more horsepower, but it’s going to take away some of the handling. It’s not as easy as talking one good thing and adding it to an existing good thing and making something automatically better.
I also noticed that the Switch games are downgrading in technology compared to the initial games on the same console.
So take my strong advice, if many of you buy that 2D Zelda, forget that Zelda .

Fbh

I don't really care about graphics, but yeah there have been several Switch games I only played because I could borrow them from friends and/or because it's generally easy to buy Switch game used and resell them for the same price a month later.

Like Link's Awakening wasn't worth $60 IMO, it's a fun little game but it's relatively short and has the production values of an indie game... and it doesn't even run that well on Switch.

But you can't blame them. If they can make these games cheaply and sell literally millions of units at full price why wouldn't they? I just accept that outside of Xenoblade and their main tent pole games (3D Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash) Nintendo just isn't really for me anymore.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
801s46.gif

Geometric-Crusher

But you can't blame them. If they can make these games cheaply and sell literally millions of units at full price why wouldn't they? I just accept that outside of Xenoblade and their main tent pole games (3D Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash) Nintendo just isn't really for me anymore.
That's because they count on our silence
However, if we want a healthy market, we need to constantly criticize, not to harm but to improve consumers and producers.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Anyways yeah Nintendo games looks good and have good gameplay. Doesn't matter if they are the most realistic or not, so long as they are fun and perform well.

OP consider getting into 3D modeling. You can have all the pretty graphics in Blender and they look better than most video games.

Plus it keeps people like you w this destructive mindset from fucking the hobby harder than it's already being fucked

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Prime 4 looks like a Wii game.
It really doesn't. I went and looked at Metroid The other M and Metroid 4 Prine footage and it looked noticeably better. Sharper, more geometric detail, better and more post processing and particles, better lighting and things happening at once.

I'll never buy a Nintendo Switch as long as they continue to make games that look like they do now. The same reason why I dont enjoy emulation. Its VERY difficult for me to be interested in a game that look like it was made in 2004. Im too old for that shit, lol. I enjoyed it when it was norm back then, but we're in a different era now. Yeah gameplay is important, but so is production values, animation, voice acting and graphics.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Astral Chain on the Switch OLED is still one of the most visually striking games I have played. Everything pops. It is gorgeous!
Switch has great looking games but for some reason people always focus on Pokemon.

That game looking bad has more to do with GameFreak more than actual Switch it self. Devs like Monolith Soft and Platinum worked with same limitation and still managed to make great looking game.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I'll never buy a Nintendo Switch as long as they continue to make games that look like they do now. The same reason why I dont enjoy emulation. Its VERY difficult for me to be interested in a game that look like it was made in 2004. Im too old for that shit, lol. I enjoyed it when it was norm back then, but we're in a different era now. Yeah gameplay is important, but so is production values, animation, voice acting and graphics.
You poor soul. You have not GROWN UP ENOUGH to realize that Gameplay trumps graphics all along. We all like nice graphics and switch games by no means look "bad" but not playing a game because of graphic quality means you are missing out on a ton of good experiences. You will understand when you get older.

You poor soul. You have not GROWN UP ENOUGH to realize that Gameplay trumps graphics all along. We all like nice graphics and switch games by no means look "bad" but not playing a game because of graphic quality means you are missing out on a ton of good experiences. You will understand when you get older.
No, Im perfectly fine with skipping games that dont have modern graphics. I've played plenty of games, from Pc, console, handhelds, motion control games to VR. I grew up playing games on Nintendo and Sega. Im not missing out on anything that I havent already experienced.

I just recently completed Astros Playroom, Plague Tale Innocence, Outlast, Ghost Runner and now working my way through Elden Ring. All of these games have different gameplay mechanics, but no one would mistake them for being made 20 year old hardware.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Still waiting for a game that wowes me more than Xenoblade 3 graphically... Yes, art is important, more than empty fidelity for many of us and it's definitely gonna be more important for younger generations.

Games like RDR2 don't do shit to impress me graphically because they are just, well realistic and that's boring to me. Once you put fidelity with stylish art styles then we can talk. BTW I just put these screenshots in a post in the Metroid Prime 4 thread, all Switch games from Nintendo and of course, in motion they look much better:

large.jpg

Switch_MetroidPrimeRemastered_Screen_08.jpg

Metroid-Prime-Remastered-Banner.jpg

metroid-dread-kraid-boss-battle.large.jpg
Well said dude

Geometric-Crusher

Graphics don't mean shit
means the line that separates a game worth $60 from one that simply isn't worth it.

that theory suggests that quality is linked to outdated technology. This is a mistake.
Quality is subjective but technology used isn't.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s because of the Wii U we even have a “switch” and you could argue ps5, and series s/x are close friends of that switch/ps4/one generation.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
For fuck’s sake, Marston. What do you do that you can just blow this kinda gold on a shitpost like this? Did you get lucky with crypto or something?

You’re a fucking treasure.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
For fuck’s sake, Marston. What do you do that you can just blow this kinda gold on a shitpost like this? Did you get lucky with crypto or something?

You’re a fucking treasure.
He's a Dev, I believe and even spilled a few beans, here and there. I would fight by his side in a street brawl, with knuckle dusters and nail bat, among others.
You hear that, Johnny!?
John Marston John Marston

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
I would characterize a child's happiness as "pure", whereas I would call an adult's happiness "intellectual". The latter can be fulfilling, yes, but it's not the same thing at all. It's like comparing an ecstatic sensory flow experience to an emotional homeostasis achieved through a thousand filters.

Neither can a child's (or manchild's) happiness of looking at a MP4 trailer be viewed as "lesser than" the happiness gained from sex (a comparison which he was making) -- in fact, I would not call the feelings from sex "happiness" at all.

On the contrary, retaining a child's happiness would be indicative of stunted development.
I think we are agreeing. (Across the board actually).

We can discuss what “happy” is and whether that can even be applied to children (or adults, for that matter, but that’s a different discussion.

(And clearly you don’t need a therapist! :) )

as for switch, although its wide known, that if You make Your own rom, its not illegal i think, as far as i remember. that's why i say, almost.

Yes, emulation, at least in the United States, is legal under law. It's the accessing/sharing/creating/distributing the unlicensed copies which is illegal. You can make your own of course without restraint.

i dont say it's fully illegal. but also widely known, mostly people who play emulation, pirating iso/rom for their emulation.
Though I'd agree with you here, that's likely true. I'm sure the amount that are playing only legitimate backups is a smaller percentage of the whole.

MarkMe2525

Me literally just sitting here transferring digital copies of all my games over to my Wii U (because I just found 90% of my discs won't boot) and finding out Nintendo sucks. Damn, I wish I would have gotten to this thread before I started this process.

P.s. This shit is as slow as molasses. 26 games transferring and I'm two hours in with about two more to go.

Me literally just sitting here transferring digital copies of all my games over to my Wii U (because I just found 90% of my discs won't boot) and finding out Nintendo sucks. Damn, I wish I would have gotten to this thread before I started this process.

P.s. This shit is as slow as molasses. 26 games transferring and I'm two hours in with about two more to go.
Why not just do it before bed or something?

IAmRei

Yes, emulation, at least in the United States, is legal under law. It's the accessing/sharing/creating/distributing the unlicensed copies which is illegal. You can make your own of course without restraint.

Though I'd agree with you here, that's likely true. I'm sure the amount that are playing only legitimate backups is a smaller percentage of the whole.
For me, i still have to buy the games first, then i can download rom or i have to make my own rom, which i dont believe i can since i live in remote place, and customs are shitty here. But buying new games is kind of fine here. Only rom creating hardware is hard to.

Its different with older games, or very obscure games which sadly cannot be played directly. Such as translated ROM for obscure games, which i cannot buy anymore, be it because the games are rare or overpriced for me. In example old snes obscure games, or psx rare games. I dont see any reason to not download the rom, especially translated version. There are lot of obscure games which is interesting. But the process to be able to play directly in older consoles will haunt lot of people who wants to try.

Its also similar situation with PC games, and i buy steam games. But sometimes i play the pirated because or certain version or im too lazy to see steam updates each time i boot PC or steam launcher. And still, i have the legit games in the library, of course.

Majukun

we literally had prime 4 in this direct which has some damn good graphic for a switch game, so even if it was not a stupid point, it wouldn't even be true

Top Bottom