• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

WingM@n

I wonder how high the number would have been without a recession?
And I wonder how many units the Wii sold worldwide in december...

FrankT

Opiate said:
Points of interest:

1) Wii sells significantly less than would be expected of a system that sold 2.1 million in November. Clearly this is an issue of supply, but whatever the cause, the problem is there.

2) Every single game the top 10 on PS3/360 is a shooter. Expect this genre to continue to dominate those platforms.

3) All Wii software in the top 10 is developed by Nintendo.

4) Mario Kart DS re-enters the top 10 in its

5) Looking at the top 10 titles of the year, the top 4 are all for Wii.

6) Of the PS3/360 titles in the top 10 for the year, all are shooters save Madden at number 9.

GTA IV

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
reposting since it got buried at bottom of another page.

NPD-E.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
xbhaskarx said:
How come half the time there is a ridiculous pro-Sony comment like this, it's from some user who has 10-20 posts in 2-4 years?
So I guess that poster is fine that it's the DS that took the record instead?

Opiate said:
Points of interest:

1) Wii sells significantly less than would be expected of a system that sold 2.1 million in November. Clearly this is an issue of supply, but whatever the cause, the problem is there.

2) Every single game the top 10 on PS3/360 is a shooter. Expect this genre to continue to dominate those platforms.

6) Of the PS3/360 titles in the top 10 for the year, all are shooters save Madden at number 9.
Guitar Hero isn't.

Epiphyte

Opiate said:
Points of interest:

Guitar Hero is a Nintendo product now?

Sadist

Opiate said:
Points of interest:

Opiate said:
Guitar Hero World Tour isn't ;)

Pachael

WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 5.28M
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL 5.00M
WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD 4.53M
WII SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL 4.17M

If retail price of the games is $50, (sans Wii Fit @ $90), then the bottom line revenue going straight to Nintendoland*,** just for these four games is $1.13 billion.

* retail markup ignored, but it's probably minimal due to consumer demand
** Sakurai probably got a whole buncha dosh for Smash, so not everything went to Nintendo

Opiate

Jtyettis said:

Is a shooter. Please, don't get in to a fight about whether a game where you are given a huge variety of guns to shoot indiscriminantly in the streets is a "shooter" or not.

Sadist said:
Guitar Hero World Tour isn't ;)

Ah yes, thank you. Corrected.

donny2112

betterman said:
Wii doesn't breaks PS2 record

Thanks God

PS2 @ 26 months - 13 million
PS2 through its third Christmas @ 27 months - 16 million

Wii through its third Christmas @ 26 months - 18 million

Just FYI, in case you were wondering. :lol

FrankT

I wonder how Rockband 2 came in for the Wii for the month. Someone really dropped the ball with the release window there it would seem.

Opiate said:
Is a shooter. Please.

Laughable.

Opiate said:
Is a shooter. Please, don't get in to a fight about whether a game where you are given a huge variety of guns to shoot indiscriminantly in the streets is a "shooter" or not.

Ah yes, thank you. Corrected.

Since you went and edited your post I will edit mine. You are dead wrong. It's sandbox game plain and simple. Last time I looked it was listed in the sandbox/third-person action adventure genre not the shooter genre. IGN/Wiki, Et Al agrees. Kthanksbuy.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Did you guys know that Nintendo didn't develop Guitar Hero?

P.S Anyone have its LTD on Wii?

legend166

Opiate said:
Points of interest:

That's more depressing than anything else in this entire industry.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i wish i knew every poster's post history on all forums from back around the ps2 release when they were shitting all over the dc and burying it so i could take that shit and dirt and rub it in their fucking faces now.

"year of the ps3!!!!11oneone"

:lol :lol

ps shane is no longer regularly podcasting fuckers

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wow.

I was so busy looking at PS3s crap numbers, that I hadn't noticed how good PSP is doing!

I mean, it didn't move any software, but good hardware numbers for the 'dead handheld'. lol... Yahoo failed.

Pimpbaa

360 doesn't deserve that many sales! *grumbles at the fact that his 2nd 360 is off for repairs* I hate this gen.

CiSTM

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
4.53m sold this year at, what, $80 each? That makes around $362m doesn't it?

But it doesn't all go to Nintendo. I want know how much Nintendo is making from it.

TJ Spyke

Pachael said:
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 5.28M
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL 5.00M
WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD 4.53M
WII SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL 4.17M

If retail price of the games is $50, (sans Wii Fit @ $80), then the bottom line revenue going straight to Nintendoland*,** just for these four games is $1.085 billion.

* retail markup ignored, but it's probably minimal due to consumer demand
** Sakurai probably got a whole buncha dosh for Smash, so not everything went to Nintendo

Wii Fit is $90.

santouras

Opiate said:
Points of interest:

your points of interest are certainly......... interesting.......

[Nintex]

DMeisterJ said:
Wow.

I was so busy looking at PS3s crap numbers, that I hadn't noticed how good PSP is doing!

I mean, it didn't move any software, but good hardware numbers for the 'dead handheld'. lol... Yahoo failed.
Sony needs to put more support behind the system, it actually sells and it's profitable unlike a certain other system they have on the market.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow @ MS! :eek: Almost 2:1 to PS3!

HOLY CRAP @ Nintendo! :O Though still from the DS and not Wii. WTF @ Mario Kart DS making the top 10. o_O

Holy crap, wonder how many of those GHWT numbers on Wii were the bundled version? If the big bundle was anywhere near the top, we may be looking at the most revenu a single game's brough in a month ever.

hulot

zeloe326 said:
Is there anything really that surprising here. I don't really do NPD threads, but what is the big hoopla about?

360- 199
Wii - 249
PS3- 399

Isn't it obvious who would sell more. Maybe, I should just stay out of these NPD threads, not for me I guess.
350kt4l.jpg

Frillen

DMeisterJ said:
Wow.

But people buy it for other reasons than gaming.

Cipherr

Mastperf said:
PS3 limped into 08 and it limps into 09. Gotta give credit where it due...it impressive to see something bleed that long without dying.

(Points to every woman walking the earth).... wat?

Plz dont ban me

Also its just to soon for the DSI. Too soon over here man.

a.wd

Mama Robotnik said:
awesomeness

Loving the Mr bean, style...

oh well numbers, is that a year on year decrease for PS3?

Is MS going to improve their service for Europeans (kinda ot but I needs legal netflix)

Is nintendo going to give me a bath made of gold with diamond taps?

Cause they could, if, if they wanted to...

DMeisterJ said:
Wow.

PSP is great for Sony, not for anyone else.

Now where the hell did I hear that before?

Top Bottom