• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD officers pull a teenager into their van during drug a search, then rape her.

He came in to say he feels bad people think cops are bad. Then when confronted with a choice. Do something about it or quit. He chose neither and said he likes his job. Idk fuck him seems pretty appropriate. He seems kinda shitty.

Edit. Btw a coworker stealing your lunch from the fridge is a piece of shit, a literal rapist is not even a comparison. He likes working with rapists.

This is such bullshit. We all work in industries with problems, and we don't go after every person who isn't going out of their way to solve the problem. Doing your own work in the right way is enough. You're doing the equivalent of what Republicans do when they tell Muslims to "do something about terrorism". I'm a teacher. Do I have to "do something" about our education system?

Going out and doing your best at your own role every day is good enough. It's not amazing, but it certainly doesn't deserve a "fuck you". Now, if he is seeing things and keeping hush, then that's a problem. But there's no indication of that here.

Koyuga

I'm glad she is coming forward. For decades upon decades when this kind of shit happened people just shit their mouth and tried to move on with life because they were afraid and thought only bad things would happen if they spoke up.

I hope all the crooked cops are paying attention to cases like this and how quickly it can burn down their entire life if they abuse people.
I really doubt the rapist cops will suffer much from these accusations. It’s nice to be optimistic, but I feel like we should know better by know.

Nipo

This is such bullshit. We all work in industries with problems, and we don't go after every person who isn't going out of their way to solve the problem. Doing your own work in the right way is enough. You're doing the equivalent of what Republicans do when they tell Muslims to "do something about terrorism". I'm a teacher. Do I have to "do something" about our education system?

Going out and doing your best at your own role every day is good enough. It's not amazing, but it certainly doesn't deserve a "fuck you". Now, if he is seeing things and keeping hush, then that's a problem. But there's no indication of that here.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Doing your own work good is absolutely not enough. Those in a position to speak out against corruption in their organization have a moral obligation to do so.

I just think how often has this happened and no one reported it. Kids at my high school talked about this happening to girls back then but at the time the attitude was, well they are cops and there is nothing you can do about it except say fuck the police.

neoanarch

Why does everyone come up with these dumbass comparisons. Its his damn job. If he isn't striving to uphold the law then what use is he? No it isn't like islamaphobes calling on every single Muslim to do something about terrorists. Because not every Muslim is a terrorist, obviously. But guess what? Every cop is a in fact a cop.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Police are in an incalculable position of power over the populace compared to some random Muslim citizen. No, "doing their own job right" is not remotely acceptable enough.

FyreWulff

You're doing the equivalent of what Republicans do when they tell Muslims to "do something about terrorism". I'm a teacher. Do I have to "do something" about our education system?

Cops are an institution, Islam is a religion

Not even close

Not even the same thing

Not even close

Not even the same thing
Ya, i know what my coworkers are doing at their jobs, and if someone is fucking up a lot, everyone hears about it. I don't know what random people of my ethnic background are doing. Don't get this comparison at all.

Beefy

Always one

Pikma

Banned
I just think how often has this happened and no one reported it. Kids at my high school talked about this happening to girls back then but at the time the attitude was, well they are cops and there is nothing you can do about it except say fuck the police.
There is still nothing you can do about it except say fuck the police though, nothing has changed, they keep getting away with despicable shit again and again, and there is no sign that could change anytime soon

If you're a teacher and you know one of your colleagues is molesting kids, I expect you to report it.

There is still nothing you can do about it except say fuck the police though, nothing has changed, they keep getting away with despicable shit again and again, and there is no sign that could change anytime soon
Yup but 20 years ago it wasn't even in the news.

Verelios

Fuck this noise. NYPD has to be one of the most useless assholes I've had the displeasure of being involved with. Not surprised they're garbage.

Keri

What are these other jobs full of rapists and murderers that get off scotfree?

Well, considering the extremely low conviction rape for rapists in the United States, it's safe to say that the majority, whatever their professions, get off scottfree. Murder is a different story, though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
An 18 year old girl was raped by two officers and some people's first reaction is "notallcops"

can we just not , for once
Well, we have to. "fuck all cops" is mischaracterizing the problem. Every organization is going to have some percentage of shit heads. The problem is that they're getting away with it. They're a government institution that's lacking in oversight. "Fuck the lack of accountability" isn't as catchy but it's closer to the target.

I don't really see what the rank and file can do if their co-workers are scumbags other than quit or complain. Neither of which fixes the issue.

ChrisRT

I've stayed silent on police matters; however, if these allegations are true... I hope they are thrown under the mantle. When you can no longer trust those that are sworn to put their lives on the line for your safety. There should be another level of accountability to these useless pieces of flesh. I'm tired of this shit. This ( in the most powerful country in history) should not even be a thing of nightmares. I know women that have had to suffer from this savage, sub human behavior.

Again, if this is true... I hope nothing but the most painful, agonizing conclusion to those involved.

neoanarch

I've stayed silent on police matters; however, if these allegations are true... I hope they are thrown under the mantle. When you can no longer trust those that are sworn to put their lives on the line for your safety. There should be another level of accountability to these useless pieces of flesh. I'm tired of this shit. This ( in the most powerful country in history) should not even be a thing of nightmares. I know women that have had to suffer from this savage, sub human behavior.

Again, if this is true... I hope nothing but the most painful, agonizing conclusion to those involved.
They're not denying it... "Consensual" is a cover for some fucked up shit. One 18 year old girl gets taken into a van by two cops. There is no scenario where she would be able to consent without some sort of cohersion involved. Turn them down and she gets sent to jail at best.

Always one
Uh, I'm not defending the cops in the OP.

Not even close

Not even the same thing
Religions are institutions.

Police are in an incalculable position of power over the populace compared to some random Muslim citizen. No, "doing their own job right" is not remotely acceptable enough.
How about teachers? Do teachers have to take a platform every time a teacher abuses his or her power in a way that hurts people?

Why does everyone come up with these dumbass comparisons. Its his damn job. If he isn't striving to uphold the law then what use is he? No it isn't like islamaphobes calling on every single Muslim to do something about terrorists. Because not every Muslim is a terrorist, obviously. But guess what? Every cop is a in fact a cop.
What the fuck. I didn't say he shouldn't strive to uphold the law.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Doing your own work good is absolutely not enough. Those in a position to speak out against corruption in their organization have a moral obligation to do so.
Doing nothing =/= doing your own good work.

And I CLEARLY stated that if he knows something he should speak. Does anyone around here even bother to read before going off like this? I'm done here. Not a single person even responded to what I said.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Consensual my ass! At BEST she was under duress from these legalized thugs and I have no doubt that she was actually forced. NOBODY should have to endure this and NOBODY should be allowed to do the type of shit that the police does consistently. I can't help but think that the amount of corruption in our police forces makes it not salvageable. Poor girl, I wish her the best in her recovery.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If it's not the cops' responsibilities to clean up criminal cops whose is it? I mean that's what they're there for right, to arrest criminals? Or do cops get immunity from other cops (I know, shh), and we need a cop for cops (yeah yeah)?

How about teachers? Do teachers have to take a platform every time a teacher abuses his or her power in a way that hurts people?

Doing nothing =/= doing your own good work.

And I CLEARLY stated that if he knows something he should speak. Does anyone around here even bother to read before going off like this? I'm done here. Not a single person even responded to what I said.
Yes actually. Teachers and even anyone else working in a school who isn't a teacher is required by LAW to report cases of suspected abuse or harassment/sexual assault and similar crimes if they even suspect that it could be happening, regardless of who the perpetrator is

Ottaro

Yo, WHAT?! Of course they have to. And you'll see it pretty regularly because teachers tend to care deeply about the people they serve.

Yo, WHAT?! Of course they have to. And you'll see it pretty regularly because teachers tend to care deeply about the people they serve.

Yep. Again, it's even required by law to report. Hell, I'm a grad student with a research assistantship and I'M required to report any cases of sexual assault/rape/harassment I learn about on campus or involving someone from the university and I'm not even in a professor or a TA or anyone else in a position where I have any real authority over anyone

Haly

When a teacher does something criminal, for example, child molestation? They get kicked out and the entire administration apologizes for it publicly. There's no "blue wall" of teachers*.

I wonder why the fuck that is?

Except for unions I guess.

krazen

Nipo did and you returned with this:

“Doing nothing =/= doing your own good work.”

If an institution is failing its not good enough to say to yourself, “Well, my desk is clean, so I can sleep better at night.” Its also unfair to the truly good cops that in addition to keeping their desk clean also involve themselves with orgs like 100 Blacks In Law Enforcement, and other anti-corruption groups. The idea that all a “good” cop has to do is his/her work and that’s it is a fallacy and doesn’t compare to teaching etc...unless teachers somehow got licenses to kill, lol. Using that same teacher example I guess a good teacher in a school with rampant abuse gets a pass because they never actually saw it themselves so they shouldn’t worry themselves about fixing the school, lol

Uh huh... some of my best records are black?
I'll ask again. Like the catchy tunes but none of the message?

I think I know where you're trying to take this conversation, but I won't bite. Kendrick is a complex individual and it reflects in his music as an artist. I could be wrong, but I don't believe he would co-sign the "Fuck the Police" message wholesale. Relegating him to that does him a disservice. To bring this back on topic - Your message can't be an effective one if you're going to take shots at the police officers who perform their jobs in an exemplary fashion. We need to work on how to increase the percentage of cops who fall in this category. Stating that this isn't enough and that they should go on strike/quit or go fuck themselves, does no one any good.

where the hell do you live that you have cops keeping watch outside your house every night?

Not sure if you're purposely being obtuse, but police officers are the only thing standing in the way of complete chaos and anarchy, so the fear of cops on the beat is a deterrent for a criminal looking to break into my home.

BlastCore

Banned
Why the fuck should people give thanks to the goons that murder and rape them with no repercussions? Every Cop of every precinct can go burn in hell.

when you are a cop your job is to literally uphold the law. when you let your coworkers slide, you are not doing your job. you are literally bad at your job. you are literally a bad cop.

I guess if you’re deluded enough to think the financial success of Asian Americans means institutional racism isn’t real, you’re deluded enough to think the police are spotless guardians of order😂😂

I think I know where you're trying to take this conversation, but I won't bite. Kendrick is a complex individual and it reflects in his music as an artist. I could be wrong, but I don't believe he would co-sign the "Fuck the Police" message wholesale. Relegating him to that does him a disservice. To bring this back on topic - Your message can't be an effective one if you're going to take shots at the police officers who perform their jobs in an exemplary fashion. We need to work on how to increase the percentage of cops who fall in this category. Stating that this isn't enough and that they should go on strike or quit, if not they can go fuck themselves, does no one any good.

Not sure if you're purposely being obtuse, but police officers are the only thing standing in the way of complete chaos and anarchy, so the fear of cops on the beat is a deterrent for a criminal looking to break into my home.

The problems with the police are systemic, and their's a huge problem of cops covering for each other if one of them does something wrong. And given the power police have in society, those good cops absolutely need to be taking an active stand against these kinds of behaviors rather than only focusing on their own work. And the reason they don't is because the way the police are run actively discourages standing up against other cops crimes, which is a huge problem in and of itself even without all the other systemic problems the police have.

Also, pretty much nobody is really advocating for ridding ourselves of any sort of police force altogether. We're calling for major and massive reforms to the entire institution so that it can do it's job properly for everyone. That's not the same as wanting it gone altogether. And note that the police as a whole generally argue against such reform, even in cases where such reform is more likely to help good cops like with body cams.
Even a good thing can become bad if it's not implemented properly or if its taken too far. A country where the police can get away with almost anything isn't much better than total anarchy

krazen

I think I know where you're trying to take this conversation, but I won't bite. Kendrick is a complex individual and it reflects in his music as an artist. I could be wrong, but I don't believe he would co-sign the "Fuck the Police" message wholesale. Relegating him to that does him a disservice. To bring this back on topic - Your message can't be an effective one if you're going to take shots at the police officers who perform their jobs in an exemplary fashion. We need to work on how to increase the percentage of cops who fall in this category. Stating that this isn't enough and that they should go on strike/quit or go fuck themselves, does no one any good.

lol

Some of y’all gotta

1)Get out of the ‘my people are good so fuck you’ mentality
2)Stop analyzing things by knowledge you learned from watching tv. Police being the only thing between society and the barbarian hordes is a laughable idea.

Haly

but police officers are the only thing standing in the way of complete chaos and anarchy, so the fear of cops on the beat is a deterrent for a criminal looking to break into my home.
This is really dumb.

1. Because it's possible for law and order to exist without cops. We know this since this is the form all primitive societies took.

2. Because "deterrence" is less responsible for crime rates than you think. Criminals, especially serious crime, don't actually expect to be caught and thus are not deterred. "Deterrence" exists primarily in the minds of non-criminal laymen, and for only a few cases of petty crime like shoplifting, and in that case it's not even the cops creating the deterrence, but the employees and the force of the law.

neoanarch

This is really dumb.

1. Because it's possible for law and order to exist without cops, we know this because this is the form all primitive societies took.

2. Because "deterrence" is less responsible for crime rates than you think. Criminals, especially serious crime, don't actually expect to be caught and thus are not deterred. "Deterrence" exists primarily in the minds of non-criminal laymen, and for only a few cases of petty crime like shoplifting, and in that case it's not even the cops, but the employees and the arm of the law.
3: two cops just raped a girl. (Just reiterating as some do somersaults to paint this situation as anything but an indictment of the current state of the NYPD. ) So the whole them standing between chaos and order falls a bit flat.

Enzom21

Where exactly am I trying to take this conversation? I am sure Kendrick Lamar doesn't have the odd hero worship of cops that people like yourself have.
He also probably doesn't hand wave criticism of law enforcement like yourself.
I am 100% he doesn't believe that there are hordes of "thugs" waiting to storm his home with only the fear of valiant cops keeping them at bay.
So Like I wrote, catchy tunes, none of the message.

Who is "we" by the way? Are you a cop? People who are not cops are not responsible for what percentage of cops aren't shit. That's up to cops to fix and these "good" cops aren't really doing shit.

Top Bottom