• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift will have the ability to "stream Xbox One games" in "virtual cinema"

Your TV is comparable to a movie theatre? Ok.

I swear some people are downright *trying* not to understand the potential here. Not that it's totally game-changing, but VR cinema has been a pretty damn popular feature so far for owners of current VR headsets. Being able to play games in VR cinema is something a lot of these people have wanted to do. But I'm sure you know better....

I'm not trying to not understand, I understand perfectly fine. I just think it stupid and pointless. Streaming is great and all but the less devices between my game system and the display the better.

chadskin

For my own clarification, the Rift doesn't actually run on an Xbone, correct? And there are zero plans to? Like, I can't make anything happen with a Rift and an Xbone, no PC in the equation?

So far, correct. Maybe they'll save that announcement for their E3 presser.

Chobel

The PS4 would have to render the room as well as the game. I don't see how it's possible.

EDIT: For existing games at least. Maybe lower spec indie games could do it in the future?

That's like nothing if the room design is minimalist, it's the TV part that eats resources.

I believe the reason why people are reacting the way they are because this is REALLY niche. This feature isn't something that casuals are going to shell out money for.

party2a.jpg

IMMERSION.

I also have a projector, and have always had one for probably close to 15 years. Hell, I even was the head of a class action lawsuit dealing with a projector.

This sort of thing - both the Xbox streaming theater and other "theaters" I've seen for VR - is absolutely pointless. If the Rift had enough resolution so the main screen could still be 1080p it would maybe make sense, but as far as we know it doesn't. So I'm going to sit in front of my computer and strap on a rift in order to look at a virtual screen that's probably no bigger than my 24" monitor is, relative to sitting distance, at sub-optimal resolution? Why? Why would I want to move my head to look around a fake room?

If the screen is big enough where I need to move my head to look at it, that's too big to play games on. I tend to shrink my projector down to about 100" when playing FPSes, as at my seating distance too much goes in to peripheral vision at any size larger than that.

Exactly. It is just so pointless.

commedieu

Banned
I assume that some sort of VR functionality will be implemented. Otherwise, what's the point?

Edit: Will the OR just function as a screen?

The Xbox One will have to render 2 Images at X resolution and Y FPS. Do the math..
This PC solution reminds me of back in the day when you had to setup Halo MP via your pc.

Metfanant

Your TV is comparable to a movie theatre? Ok.

I swear some people are downright *trying* not to understand the potential here. Not that it's totally game-changing, but VR cinema has been a pretty damn popular feature so far for owners of current VR headsets. Being able to play games in VR cinema is something a lot of these people have wanted to do. But I'm sure you know better....

No...just no...this is dumb no matter how you slice it...

lets stream games, inherently adding lag to the equation...at some unknown bitrate, to a screen that is a marginally higher resolution than most people's TV's...and then have the game displayed on a smaller than full portion of the screen, with a 3d rendered "cinema" filling up the rest of the screen?...

i mean seriously?...youre introducing all sorts of ridiculous variables to the equation like streaming, scaling (probably multiple times at that!)...not to mention youre sitting in a poorly rendered room, in front of a virtual 2d screen while youre sitting in a REAL room, with a REAL screen going unused...

just plain DUMB...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't really see what's so embarrassing about this, for Oculus at least. As little things added on top of a native VR software library, they make sense. Maybe it's embarrassing for Microsoft, as a signal of the apparent token extent of their relevance to VR at the moment, but for Oculus, as a value add on top of everything else they're doing, it's welcome. I'm sure they'll stream other media from your PC, games, video, also.

Actually, I think that there's a chance that the games will look better, since it's kinda downsampling the image.

It could, we will have to see it for ourselves.. But especially if the game is sub 1080p to begin with... It shouldn't hurt the image quality..

RowdyReverb

Not only that, but looking up the resolution of the Oculus Rift consumer version, the resolution is only 1080x1200 per eye. So you've got a total pixel count that's a little higher than 720p but drastically lower than 1080p and then only a percentage of that is going to actually display the virtual TV.

I also have a projector, and have always had one for probably close to 15 years. Hell, I even was the head of a class action lawsuit dealing with a projector.

This sort of thing - both the Xbox streaming theater and other "theaters" I've seen for VR - is absolutely pointless. If the Rift had enough resolution so the main screen could still be 1080p it would maybe make sense, but as far as we know it doesn't. So I'm going to sit in front of my computer and strap on a rift in order to look at a virtual screen that's probably no bigger than my 24" monitor is, relative to sitting distance, at sub-optimal resolution? Why? Why would I want to move my head to look around a fake room?

If the screen is big enough where I need to move my head to look at it, that's too big to play games on. I tend to shrink my projector down to about 100" when playing FPSes, as at my seating distance too much goes in to peripheral vision at any size larger than that.
Wouldn't the screen shown in the VR living room still be downsampled from the actual streamed video though? Would it have that big of an effect on the game's IQ assuming that the headset itself has a high enough pixel density to avoid visible pixelation?

Sakura

This is optional. This is extra. This is cool for some people.

What's up with all the hate? I don't get it...

Nobody is hating.
But when people see Oculus and Xbox One, they probably were imagining something different than just glorified off screen play.
When you consider you need to own an Xbox One, PC, and Oculus Rift, the use case for the feature seems pretty nil, which is why people find it humorous.

No, it simulates playing on a huge screen. VR allows for that sense of scale.
It simulates playing on a huge low resolution screen.
I'd rather play on an actual 1080p tv...

No...just no...this is dumb no matter how you slice it...

lets stream games, inherently adding lag to the equation...at some unknown bitrate, to a screen that is a marginally higher resolution than most people's TV's...and then have the game displayed on a smaller than full portion of the screen, with a 3d rendered "cinema" filling up the rest of the screen?...

i mean seriously?...youre introducing all sorts of ridiculous variables to the equation like streaming, scaling (probably multiple times at that!)...not to mention youre sitting in a poorly rendered room, in front of a virtual 2d screen while youre sitting in a REAL room, with a REAL screen going unused...

just plain DUMB...

THANK YOU SIR! Someone who understands my point.

It could, we will have to see it for ourselves.. But especially if the game is sub 1080p to begin with... It shouldn't hurt the image quality..

lol at the attempts to make this feature seem useful, holy shit I'm actually crying with laughter, is this thing up on youtube yet?

Considering a 1080p 120 inch projector is about 1/4 the price of an oculus+PC I'd say your money priorities are a bit off.

I have better TVs in my house but using them would wake other people up when I usually play (7-12 at night), even if I used headphones. I already have a gaming laptop that may not be able to push Oculus Rift normally but could easily push out a sparse room with a video stream on the wall.

It's not a bad idea, to be able to play a 2d game on a big virtual screen. It just seems weird that they're partnering with MS to do this with the Xbox One. I wonder why they don't just let you do it with an HDMI signal from any device.

vin-buc

i asked this to one of GAF's resident VR guys (krejlooc). I think every VR headset should have the "cinema" feature by default. Sony already had these on market a few years back so they have the know how. The difference here is that Morpheus should have it with a direct connection to the PS4 while Xbox has to be streamed to a PC first then to the Oculus.Rift which seems a bit janky.

Just out of curiosity - will this introduce any extra display lag?

Unless Oculus team are planing for a special SKU for XB1 (highly unlikely), then I don't see it happening.

Doesn't a lot of it depend on what is being developed for it? OR is obviously interested in games, but the main reason FB wanted them was for the social/travel aspect. This stuff is essentially filmed and not quite as difficult to process as a game, correct?

Does anyone actually believe that the collaboration with MS revolves entirely around the controller and the ability to project your game from XBO to PC to OR? I get the sense that the ability to do something like that is in the early stage of what they are looking for.

Seems like there is no point in mentioning it, if thats all there was.

I can't believe how some of you aren't getting this. You get to stream your Xbone games, thru your PC that can run Oculus, to your Oculus, so you can view your Xbone games in large screen that's actually a small screen that looks like a large screen, but since it's only part of the full image being displayed, it's actually a really small screen with less-than-optimal resolution.

It's genius!

Doesn't a lot of it depend on what is being developed for it? OR is obviously interested in games, but the main reason FB wanted them was for the social/travel aspect. This stuff is essentially filmed and not quite as difficult to process as a game, correct?

Does anyone actually believe that the collaboration with MS revolves entirely around the controller and the ability to project your game from PC to XBO?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Xbone would need to be a lot more powerful than it is in order to actually support Oculus VR.

JP

Really don't understand the point of this "virtual cinema" thing that pops up in VR threads from time to time, surely it reduces the quality of the media that you're using? To me it's akin to advertising that you have a SD mode on your blu-ray.

Maybe it's interesting for the first few minutes when you first get the effect of being in a cinema but it's far better to do things like this at their native resolution rather than shrinking them to show them in the distance or upscaling them so that you have to move your head to view the whole screen.

Maybe there are people out there that want it but it just doesn't make any sense to me.

I can't believe how some of you aren't getting this. You get to stream your Xbone games, thru your PC that can run Oculus, to your Oculus, so you can view your Xbone games in large screen that's actually a small screen that looks like a large screen, but since it's only part of the full image being displayed, it's actually a really small screen with less-than-optimal resolution.

It's genius!

LOL

Apathy

So I'll need a powerful pc, rift and a xbox one to pretend that I have a giant screen to play xbox one games. Seems like a roundabout way to get a big screen.

PSOreo

At first I was thinking "wow good job Microsoft..smart move" then I saw how you're supposed to be a virtual room..what?!

Mendax

"WHOA! It's almost like I'm playing this game in a room!!"

hard to imagine that. mindblowing.

So I'll need a powerful pc, rift and a xbox one to pretend that I have a giant screen to play xbox one games. Seems like a roundabout way to get a big screen.

maybe it was beta tested in the future and then they noticed that everyone in the future was living in cubicles so they are now preparing this artificial living room already

Does anyone actually believe that the collaboration with MS revolves entirely around the controller and the ability to project your game from XBO to PC to OR? I get the sense that the ability to do something like that is in the early stage of what they are looking for.

People are saying they are doing it for the PR. Sort of a ME TOO approach.

ekim

Considering the Rift is going to work natively with W10, I would expect it to be rather easy to get it to run on X1. Wouldn't be surprised if they announce that at E3.

Top Bottom