• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift will have the ability to "stream Xbox One games" in "virtual cinema"

Z3M0G

Somebody is waiting for this to upgrade his room...
lolgameroom.jpg

Only a step away from this

wow2030.jpg

...how we will all live once VR takes over...

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Hold on, people are actually looking forward to VR so they can watch movies in a virtual theatre?

I just don't know anymore.

Considering the Rift is going to work natively with W10, I would expect it to be rather easy to get it to run on X1. Wouldn't be surprised if they announce that at E3.

I was under the impression that the X1 doesn't have nearly the specs required to run the Rift in any meaningful way.

Tetranet

Sounds like we have many people that own amazing TVs and living rooms, let alone the mansion to contain them. They can't even comprehend the reason for this feature's existence.

Popnbake

I believe the reason why people are reacting the way they are because this is REALLY niche. This feature isn't something that casuals are going to shell out money for.

Wouldn't the hardcore just shell out money for larger screens to display their games instead going for a virtual option?

It's neat, but pretty much a feature users had made already (the cinema viewing experience). Not at all what I expected reading a title like "Xbox One games are coming to the Oculus Rift."

Considering the Rift is going to work natively with W10, I would expect it to be rather easy to get it to run on X1. Wouldn't be surprised if they announce that at E3.

Exactly. I don't understand why people would think what we saw is the entire collaboration. Makes zero sense. They get no positive PR from what they showed. They showed that the three can work hand in hand, OR will be on W10, XBO will be W10 am I the only one who can connect the dots that there is something more than what we have seen.

MS isn't going all in on OR, but they can ride the coattails of a product that has mindshare on PC and the backing of Facebook. If they can get anything out of it, its a smart move and they didn't have to fund the R&D like Morpheus.

Unless Sony releases Morpheus on PC, they are kinda locked into the PS4 ecosystem.

Nzyme32

Hold on, people are actually looking forward to VR so they can watch movies in a virtual theatre?

Do you even understand the difference. The scale of the thing completely changes to what ever you want it to be. Have a 300ft screen on the moon if you want - the feeling of being there with that sort of scale is cool. Sync with other people around the world if you want and be in the same space when hundreds of miles apart. It's just one small opportunity rather than the big selling point

Vyer

I think it's more that stuff like this (if VR takes off and grows) is what enables you to stay immersed in whatever world/environment you are in and do different things.

Only a step away from this

wow2030.jpg

...how we will all live once VR takes over...

This shit is depressing, because you know there will be cases similar to this. I mean we already have shut ins, but you have to wonder if the immersion of VR will make it worse and really disconnect people from reality.

So wait,

So you u need an x1, rift plus a nice pc to eh simulate playing on a big tv?

Is this correct?

Why just a big TV? Why not a movie theater, a beach, a mountain top, the bridge of the USS Enterprise. Imagine playing Alien Isolation onboard the Nostromo with ambient sounds and the Alien occasionally coming into the room. People need to use their imagination with this. I suppose they could have demoed it better.

The current headset resolutions are the biggest stumbling block so far for virtual cinemas. You can choose between watching/playing in full HD on your TV or Monitor or at a lower resolution on what looks like an Imax screen. No harm in offering that choice at all really, it's not taking anything away, if you don't want to sacrifice resolution for screen size then simply don't do it.

It's not a bad idea, to be able to play a 2d game on a big virtual screen. It just seems weird that they're partnering with MS to do this with the Xbox One. I wonder why they don't just let you do it with an HDMI signal from any device.

I'm guessing it's because of the Windows 10 integration. Streaming will already be an MS thing for Windows 10 so it's probably easy to implement that into their (possibly preexisting?) virtual movie theater.

Reallink

PS4 will get this feature for sure as they have Gaikai tech for streaming games, Remote and Share play already so its easy and basic for them to have. Also we get to see the output of the user using headset in TV so its kind of already exists.

Why in the world would they need to Stream or Remote play PS4 games to a PS4?

So I guess I can simulate having an absolutely massive tv?

More accurately you can simulate having an absolutely massive Sub-HD screen. 1080x1200 with say 50% of that real estate being the "game screen" is ~650k pixels (720p is ~920k pixels). The way the optics work in these headsets, you don't even get anywhere close to the full 1080x1200 resolution being usable, so the reality is far lower than even 650k pixels.

nded

Among other things, surely. As a person who loves old movies but has never had the opportunity to see many of them on a huge ass screen as intended, I certainly am looking forward to virtual theatres.

Metfanant

Do you even understand the difference. The scale of the thing completely changes to what ever you want it to be.
i think we all completely understand

Have a virtual 300ft screen, scaled to some random non native resolution on a low poly rendered 3d model of the moon if you want - the feeling of being there with that sort of scale is cool.

Sync with other people around the world if you want and be in the same space when hundreds of miles apart. It's just one small opportunity rather than the big selling point
this could be done in many different ways....

MisterR

Exactly. I don't understand why people would think what we saw is the entire collaboration. Makes zero sense. They get no positive PR from what they showed. They showed that the three can work hand in hand, OR will be on W10, XBO will be W10 am I the only one who can connect the dots that there is something more than what we have seen.

MS isn't going all in on OR, but they can ride the coattails of a product that has mindshare on PC and the backing of Facebook. If they can get anything out of it, its a smart move and they didn't have to fund the R&D like Morpheus.

Unless Sony releases Morpheus on PC, they are kinda locked into the PS4 ecosystem.

From everything we've seen the Xbox One won't be able to run OR stuff. The PC specs were pretty steep.

Bsigg12

So I guess I can simulate having an absolutely massive tv?

Or playing in space, or some weird ass location on a 100 foot screen. The cinema app is pretty much just a video player and they are just adding the Xbox One to Windows 10 streaming to that app.

From everything we've seen the Xbox One won't be able to run OR stuff. The PC specs were pretty steep.

I have a feeling the OR will require W10 in the end. Do I think XBO can run games anywhere near the top of the line OR specs? No. Do I think there is other stuff that will be developed (not just games ) that is not as taxing? Yes.

PS4 isn't so massively powerful compared to the XBO that they can't do some VR stuff.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's not a bad idea, to be able to play a 2d game on a big virtual screen. It just seems weird that they're partnering with MS to do this with the Xbox One. I wonder why they don't just let you do it with an HDMI signal from any device.

I think they'd need a second hdmi port on the headset to allow that. Otherwise you're going to need some kind of more explicit, non-standard communication with the host theatre app (and whatever device that is running on).

Chobel

Doesn't a lot of it depend on what is being developed for it? OR is obviously interested in games, but the main reason FB wanted them was for the social/travel aspect. This stuff is essentially filmed and not quite as difficult to process as a game, correct?

Does anyone actually believe that the collaboration with MS revolves entirely around the controller and the ability to project your game from XBO to PC to OR? I get the sense that the ability to do something like that is in the early stage of what they are looking for.

Seems like there is no point in mentioning it, if thats all there was.

For streaming games or movies, yes it will be fine.

For rendering games though? That's gonna be very hard. OR specs are:
Resolution = 2160 x 1200
Fps = 90HZ

That's would need a lot of processing power even for very simple games.

TalonJH

Oculus could already do this. I figure you can play anything that you can pipe video into your PC. Would be more interesting if it didn't need a PC as a middle man. Still something that I have been hoping for a while that Morpheus can also do for non VR games on PS4. Cool, just nothing new. I was expecting something native.

prwxv3

The rift was not designed around the Xbone hardware. To make good VR experiences for the Xbone there needs to be a Xbone version that does suit the hardware. If MS expects to just dump the Rift on Xbone and everything works out fine they don't care about the VR experience for their Xbone consumer base.

nib95

Banned
You get to play on a...70"+++ virtual tv?

If there's going to be space around the virtual TV, is there really much of a difference? If you want a bigger screen without the audiovisual interference, couldn't you just turn the lights out and sit closer to your current TV?

GRaider81

This shit is depressing, because you know there will be cases similar to this. I mean we already have shut ins, but you have to wonder if the immersion of VR will make it worse and really disconnect people from reality.

Why just a big TV? Why not a movie theater, a beach, a mountain top, the bridge of the USS Enterprise. Imagine playing Alien Isolation onboard the Nostromo with ambient sounds and the Alien occasionally coming into the room. People need to use their imagination with this. I suppose they could have demoed it better.

I guess ill just play traditional games on my tv and use the rift for vr games.

I dont need no chumps playing volleyball on the beach while im trying to play the witcher.

For streaming games or movies, yes it will be fine.

For rendering games though? That's gonna be very hard. OR specs are:
Resolution = 2160 x 1200
Fps = 90HZ

That's would need a lot of processing power even for very simple games.

Completely agree. I just think the first part is the first big step in VR anyway. If there wasn't more here, why even bother collaborating? The me too thought process from some in here doesn't make sense, unless they had other ideas for it.

prwxv3

Completely agree. I just think the first part is the first big step in VR anyway. If there wasn't more here, why even bother collaborating? The me too thought process from some in here doesn't make sense, unless they had other ideas for it.

It makes sense for the PC side of Microsoft.

So, it's basically XB1 remote play - with a big headset instead of a Vita-equivalent.

So, you can pair your $350 XB1 with a $1,500 Oculus VR headset and play your XB1 games anywhere - with a big VR headset over your face, not giving you any peripheral view of the outside world, thus potentially making it dangerous to use in a mobile sense, which would defeat a major point of the "remote play" idea.

scrambles

Neo Member
What the fuck is the point of this?
So MS can say that it has VR support in 1080p, I'm guessing.

My honest guess, is like I've been espousing, you soon won't need the xb1 for this to work. Just the PC, the PC that MS is using as it's new gaming platform.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Do you even understand the difference. The scale of the thing completely changes to what ever you want it to be. Have a 300ft screen on the moon if you want - the feeling of being there with that sort of scale is cool. Sync with other people around the world if you want and be in the same space when hundreds of miles apart. It's just one small opportunity rather than the big selling point

I'm sorry but it still sounds ridiculous. The Oculus Rift only has a 1080p screen anyway, so any simulated screen will have a smaller resolution.

Pretending to watch a movie on the moon while you're sitting on your couch just has no appeal whatsoever, and making the screen massive enough where you need to move your head around sounds like sitting in the front row of a movie theatre. Especially since you'll be sitting there alone, closed off from the real world and any real people you live with.

I guess ill just play traditional games on my tv and use the rift for vr games.

I dont need no chumps playing volleyball on the beach while im trying to play the witcher.

Playing an XB1 game on a virtual beach when suddenly a volleyball lands between you and the screen. Someone comes in to pick it up blocking your view so you have to sit up and try to look around them.

The thought of this makes me laugh.

Top Bottom