• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Multiple Arabian Media outlets are reporting that the Moroccan Intelligence assisted the French in finding Abooud, the French government sent an invitation to the Moroccan King on Friday.

Nivash

SÄPO has arrested the terrorist who had traveled to Sweden and had some kind of a terror plan in the making.

Threat level still at 4 of 5.

Source: http://www.sakerhetspolisen.se/ovri...19-sakerhetspolisen-har-gripit-misstankt.html

Great job, that was fast. SR reports that he was arrested in Boliden. For those of you who didn't major in "Swedish towns with a population of barely 1500 people" it's a small village way up north in the Swedish countryside.

https://www.google.se/maps/place/93...2!3m1!1s0x4679348d48880811:0x3522f65605e3b2fe

Can't say I expected that. Wonder what he was doing all the way up there. Just hiding or something?

vityaz

Great job, that was fast. SR reports that he was arrested in Boliden. For those of you who didn't major in "Swedish towns with a population of barely 1500 people" it's a small village way up north in the Swedish countryside.

https://www.google.se/maps/place/93...2!3m1!1s0x4679348d48880811:0x3522f65605e3b2fe

Can't say I expected that. Wonder what he was doing all the way up there. Just hiding or something?

According to Dagens Nyheter he was arrested at a refugee housing. So he probably came as a refugee seeking asylum, and got placed there....

LNBL

Damn, that's scary close to Umea

Yeah its time to do really deep background checks on EVERY refugee that the government have let in to our country. Today our prime minester spoke about new laws and that the SWEDISH people have been Naive....NO the swedish people have NOT been naive you asshole, YOU and the fucking stupid political party have been idiots and Naive, this has been clear to us the people for most of the time.

Jisgsaw

Has there been any specific concrete intel released about what Abaaoud and the rest of the people in that apartment were planning?

There's been a lot of rumours, but nothing confirmed (and we will never get a confirmation I guess).
Probably La Défense (buisness district) or Charles de Guaulle (airport).

Lender

Developing story in Belgium right now

http://www.demorgen.be/buitenland/s...n-brussel-terreurniveau-opgetrokken-b9fa9aea/

Translated:

Major alarm in Brussels. All available police offers are ordered to stay at their posts, since intelligence agencies gathered information that the fugitive terrorist Salah Abdeslam is walking around in brussels.

At several places snipers took positions. Heavily armed police officers are patrolling at several locations and checked government buildings. Besides that there were indications that universities were being targeted. All activities at the VUB and ULB (Brussel universities) were cancelled immediately. Places where students gather have been evacuated.

The terror level is at 4 now, the maximum.

Chariot

Developing story in Belgium right now

http://www.demorgen.be/buitenland/s...n-brussel-terreurniveau-opgetrokken-b9fa9aea/

Translated:

Major alarm in Brussels. All available police offers are ordered to stay at their posts, since intelligence agencies gathered information that the fugitive terrorist Salah Abdeslam is walking around in brussels.

At several places snipers took positions. Heavily armed police officers are patrolling at several locations and checked government buildings. Besides that there were indications that universities were being targeted. All activities at the VUB and ULB (Brussel universities) were cancelled immediately. Places where students gather have been evacuated.

The terror level is at 4 now, the maximum.

I hope they get him without much trouble. Best of success to the belgian special forces.

Lender

Someone on another forum said this

It's not very pleasant here in Brussels. Got a few messages from people who are to close to police services who say that they better remain inside this weekdn, starting tonight.

Obviously, no real source. But it does prove the situation is tense.

Kraftwerk

Saw this video for sthe first time. The french gentleman message about his wife's death.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34862437

Man, oh man. As soon as it got to this line tears just started flowing down my face.

"each bullet in my wife's body would have been a wound in his heart"

Respect isn't enough. I don't think a word even exists for me to describe what i feel for this man.

Magni

For something more lighthearted:

xFspSTj.png

Top-down, left-to-right translations:

"I didn't know she had a bomb, when she told me 'I wanna blow' I thought I had a chance..."

"They asked me if I knew how to make Molotov cocktails, I told them I knew nothing about that, I'm not a barman"

"It's true they asked me if I knew how to make a bomb, but I thought they were going to the pool" (make a bomb = do a cannonball)

"I saw AKs but they told me it was for paintball"

"I saw weapons but I thought we were gonna shoot a music video"

Alx

Lol. ^^

Very interesting report/documentary on French TV yesterday. Especially the part where a journalist infiltrated their recruitment system as a candidate.
They also went in details into all the principles and methods of Isis. The part where they read the "instruction book" that detailed exactly what happened this year (lone wolves first to start unrest, then mass killings to create chaos) was unsettling.
According to the journalists, the fact that some of them entered as Syrian refugees may have been done on purpose to increase divisions in Europe, since they don't really need that to enter the countries (as a matter of fact two of the attackers just flew by plane into Germany as regular travellers, and then drove to Belgium/France).
You may wonder why someone who intended to blow himself up would carry his passport with him, by the way.

dejay

Banned
You may wonder why someone who intended to blow himself up would carry his passport with him, by the way.

That did come to mind. I sure do like to carry my passport when I'm abroad though, so it could have been habit, but my gut feeling is was that it was a deliberate act of division.

MilkyJoe

Gunmen have attacked Radisson Blu hotel in Mali's capital Bamako

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34877069

More to follow... more ISIS attacks?

update

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/mali-gunmen-attack-radisson-hotel-bamako-take-hostages-1529646

A security source told the agency that the attack happened on the seventh floor of the hotel, which hosts many foreigners. "Jihadists are firing in the corridor," the source said.

French RFI radio reported that three attackers entered the hotel with diplomatic cars.

The US Embassy in Mali confirmed the attack and asked all US citizens in Bamako to shelter in place. Private citizens are encouraged to contact their families.

Joni

You also don't want to get arrested for a stupid reason like not being able to identify yourself an hour before you want to blow yourself up.

update

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/mali-gunmen-attack-radisson-hotel-bamako-take-hostages-1529646

A security source told the agency that the attack happened on the seventh floor of the hotel, which hosts many foreigners. "Jihadists are firing in the corridor," the source said.

French RFI radio reported that three attackers entered the hotel with diplomatic cars.

The US Embassy in Mali confirmed the attack and asked all US citizens in Bamako to shelter in place. Private citizens are encouraged to contact their families.
Going by security sources quoted by The Guardian, they want to take hostages:

“Very early in the morning there was gunfire. Apparently it’s an attempt to take hostages. The police are there and are sealing off the area,” the source said.

Even Erdogan has condemned the booing and whistling of the minute's silence and the booing and whistling of the Greek national anthem.

When this guy is sounding reasonable you know something's fucked up.

update

France did a ground invasion there alongside the Mali government to flush out the Islamists didn't it. Perhaps this attack is an aim at reigniting that fire to make the French worry on 2 fronts.

ICKE

Banned
Paris attacks: Suicide bomber Hasna Ait Boulahcen was a "party animal with a bad reputation and no real friends"

The 26-year-old, is said to have loved going to clubs, drank alcohol, smoked and went around with lots of different guys The female suicide bomber who is believed to have blown herself up after a gun battle with French police was a “party animal who loved clubbing," say pals.

Mattius Jacques, 24, said: “She was normal. She wore Western clothes, she never wore hijab. She didn’t go to mosque or pray. She never spoke about the news or Palestine or anything.

Hasna Ait Boulahcen was said to have grown up in children's homes and "had personal issues with her family"

“She wasn’t religious at all. She was like you and me, she went out, she lived a free life, always out partying.

Her mum has insisted that her "lovely daughter" had been brainwashed. Mrs Boulahcen : “The son of my sister brainwashed her.

“It’s awful. We have not slept. We have been up all night. My daughter is lovely. We can’t believe it. He has messed with her head. He went mad. He did things with her head.”

Ait Boulahcen, 26, is said to have detonated an explosive vest during a six-hour armed siege in the Paris suburb of Saint-Denis yesterday.

Her brother Youssouf Ait Boulahcen today revealed his sister never read the Koran and only became devout about a month ago.

"She was permanently on her phone, looking at Facebook or WhatsApp.

Hasna-Aitboulahcen.jpg

Mirror

The world we live in....

Alx

Are we sure she blew herself intentionnally? What if she was forced to wear the explosive belt?

She took an active part in the shooting during the raid, didn't surrender like the three other persons in the middle of the assault, and suicide by explosive belt has been a common strategy of the attackers last Friday. Also she's the cousin of the organizer of the attacks, and had voiced her intention to fight for ISIS in the past.
I suppose it's never possible to be 100% sure, but all signs point to "yes".

M.Bluth

Are we sure she blew herself intentionnally?

Most likely, yes.
It's not exactly surprising that some who join ISIS (and other extremist groups, for that matter) were not exactly religious. If they felt some guilt for leading lives that don't conform to Islamic tenets, then their involvement with such groups and willingness to die is their warped idea of getting on God's "good side."

They believe they will die as martyrs which equals instant paradise.

Moronwind

Banned
The world we live in....

I feel like that's a pretty common profile of a person who was drawn to the Salafi brand of Islam. Party animals, drug pushers, sluts, criminals etc. People with problems.
When they condemn western civilization for it's sinfulness and vice they're really just projecting themselves on society at large.

Marvel

could never
I feel like that's a pretty common profile of a person who was drawn to the Salafi brand of Islam. Party animals, drug pushers, sluts, criminals etc. People with problems.
When they condemn western civilization for it's sinfulness and vice they're really just projecting themselves on society at large.
Erm.

Joni

Strange. Saw about 15-20 military vehicles enter Brussels an hour ago. Not the standard trucks with men in it, but armored version with automatic weaponry, our Dingo II I believe.

126149_decloedt_christian_large.jpg

jstripes

Banned

People want to believe events like this are staged because to them that's less scary than the idea of random terrorist acts that can happen anywhere. It's less scary than the idea of a ragtag bunch of zealots in the desert having the ability to pull something like this off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom