• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza Guy gets 10 dollar tip on $1400 order

Status
Not open for further replies.
That it usually takes a driver 10 minutes to deliver a pizza(remembering back to my days taking calls for pizza hut).

I have no idea what to tell you if you think it took 10 minutes to prepare for and deliver that order. There isn't protocol for a $1400 order.

Loofy

I have no idea what to tell you if you think it took 10 minutes to prepare for and deliver that order. There isn't protocol for a $1400 order.
So now the driver is credited with preparing the pizza? come on now.

If they were somehow under-compensated for their labor I'd want that problem fixed as well.

Was this a joke post?
His point was that the extra work for 85 pizzas is on the chefs, otherwise $10 is pretty great tip for delivery.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Why should the delivery guy get tipped by how much food he carries? I almost understand the argument for large parties in restaurants leading to a percentage of large bills, but for delivery?

That is some Sicilian style shit.

Yeah. Two Sundays ago, I walked out with a net gain of -$1 (not including my $2.13 wage). That is a rare occurrence, and I had a horrible night... but I gave over $30 to the hostess. Felt like shit.

Loofy

Someone has to load and unload all that pizza from the delivery vehicle. Why does this need to be explained to an adult.
OMG the loading of the pizzas!! that deserves way more than $10. Like I said $10 is more than an hours work for a fast food employee, they load and unload food all the time.

Dead Man

Someone has to load and unload all that pizza from the delivery vehicle. Why does this need to be explained to an adult.
What the hell? $200 for unloading some pizza boxes?
Yeah. Two Sundays ago, I walked out with a net gain of -$1 (not including my $2.13 wage). That is a rare occurrence, and I had a horrible night... but I gave over $30 to the hostess that night. Felt like shit.

That is fucked up.

Apath

If that amount of food becomes an issue in terms of multiple trips, having to find a way to fit everything into the car, etc., a $10 tip is not satisfactory.
Damn son, you have some issues you need to work out. I tell you what, next time you have 85 pizza boxes to unload, I'll come do it for $11.
If you're trying to say $10 is sufficient pay, it's the opportunity cost that's the problem. The time it takes to load all of that food and unload it is more than likely much higher than a standard delivery. Hence $10 isn't adequate, without even factoring in the increase in work required.

EDIT:
My friend delivered 85 pizzas today
85 pizzas is a lot of fucking pizzas.

LQX

I only gave my movers a $50 tip and they moved thousands of dollars worth of shit and took hours. He is lucky he got that much. So sick of these people thinking they are owed a percent of how much is paid rather than a token fee for walking to the table or in this case driving in a comfortable car to deliver an order.

Apath

I only gave my movers a $50 tip and they moved thousands of dollars worth of shit and took hours. He is lucky he got that much. So sick of these people thinking they are owed a percent of how much is paid rather than a token fee for walking to the table or in this case driving in a comfortable car to deliver an order.
There is a football field's worth of a distance between expecting more than $10 for delivering 85 pizzas and expecting a percentage based tip.

Just to clarify, I am not saying there should be any outrage over this. It was simply a shitty tip relative to what was ordered. It happens.

How many people in this thread are seriously thinking the pizza guy balanced 80 pizzas on one hand, put them in the back of his supposed truck then walked ten steps with 80 pizzas in hand?

This was a multiple trip order both delivering pizzas to office/house from vehicle and by car going back and picking up a stack prepared while on first/second drop. Keeping person from other deliveries.

Indeed.

Unless the pizzaguy was driving a moving van or something, it's impossible to fit 85 cars in a single vehicle.
Depending on the distance and a number of other factors, it probably took him at least two hours to make that delivery. In that amount of time the driver could have taken anywhere from 6 to 12 deliveries.

The delivery driver deserved more than $10, but the people who made the pizzas deserve the bulk of the tip money.

I can appreciate that it probably took a few trips, but do you have any idea how much work is involved in making 85 pizzas?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The rest of the world seems to work just fine without the tipping system.

I don't know why America's restaurant/food-serving industry seems like would just collapse if everybody suddenly stops tipping or something. Isn't this a symptom of hey, something is definitely wrong about the US folks handling this?

Apath

The delivery driver deserved more than $10, but the people who made the pizzas deserve the bulk of the tip money.

I can appreciate that it probably took a few trips, but do you have any idea how much work is involved in making 85 pizzas?
Those orders are made in advance, so the kitchen will be staffed for it. The place I worked at would create an assembly line that would pump out pizzas, and honestly, they're standing around making pizzas either way.

It's the big orders that come out of nowhere that get you. It can be like an hour to closing, things are winding down, there are only two guys in the kitchen because the third left... and then BAM! $200 order comes in. That's when I feel they deserve the tip more than me.
The rest of the world seems to work just fine without the tipping system.

I don't know why America's restaurant/food-serving industry seems like would just collapse if everybody suddenly stops tipping or something. Isn't this a symptom of hey, something is definitely wrong about the US folks handling this?
We like our food prices low and giving pay to what we feel is deserving work. I like that I have the power to stiff a waiter who gives abysmal service, and reward those who go above and beyond.

Dead Man

If that amount of food becomes an issue in terms of multiple trips, having to find a way to fit everything into the car, etc., a $10 tip is not satisfactory.

If you're trying to say $10 is sufficient pay, it's the opportunity cost that's the problem. The time it takes to load all of that food and unload it is more than likely much higher than a standard delivery. Hence $10 isn't adequate, without even factoring in the increase in work required.

EDIT:
85 pizzas is a lot of fucking pizzas.
Opportunity costs now. So if it wasn't one trip I can see your point. If it was more than one trip they should have sent multiple drivers and each should have got a normal tip. If it was only a single trip, the opportunity cost covered maybe 10 minutes to actually unload all the pizzas. Car to door 8 times with a stack of 10. How long do you think that takes?
Will you drive them over to my house, too, and make sure they arrive intact and in a timely manner?
Maybe that is why he only got 10 bucks.
From putting words into my mouth to being a condescending prick about it. You're bad at this.

Telling me to shut up, calling me a condescending prick. Nice.

here in Ireland we aren't really tippers but I always round my order up to the nearest five and say "keep the change". It's not a lot but whatever. That being said, if I blew that kind of money on pizza, I'd probably throw the driver a fifty because at that point, who gives a fuck about money. Still don't see how its an obligation to tip, I see it as doing a nice thing rather than its something expected of me.

Apath

Whats the opportunity cost in this situation?
The multiple deliveries that could have been done with far less effort in the time it took to do the single delivery.
Opportunity costs now. So if it wasn't one trip I can see your point. If it was more than one trip they should have sent multiple drivers and each should have got a normal tip. If it was only a single trip, the opportunity cost covered maybe 10 minutes to actually unload all the pizzas. Car to door 8 times with a stack of 10. How long do you think that takes?
I'm guessing you've never done this before.

It takes multiple trips from the kitchen to your vehicle to load it up. You have to play a fucked up form of Tetris cramming the pizzas into your vehicle while keeping them balanced and intact. Honestly I've had it take longer to load my car than it took to deliver and unload it, and that was with less pizzas than this guy did.

Seriously, not even factoring the extra work, the time it takes alone makes it suck.

From putting words into my mouth to being a condescending prick about it. You're bad at this.

:lol

Anyway, unloading a ton of pizza boxes doesn't really justify a larger than normal tip, so I see no fault here. Sure, a few dollars extra for the trouble would have been nice, but still. Ten dollars is a great tip! The cooks are the one's who had to bust their asses anyway, so they're the ones that deserve a bonus.

KevinCow

Banned
I feel like a $1400 order has long since crossed the line between "delivery" and "catering".

I mean, 85 pizzas? They sent just one guy out for that? I think most restaurants would require a fair amount of advance notice for an order like that, and wouldn't send just one guy to do it. If they're not typically a catering company, they might even arrange for some extra employees to be around.

I mean the tip thing sucks, but this whole situation seems like it should've been handled better by the pizza place.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
We like our food prices low and giving pay to what we feel is deserving work. I like that I have the power to stiff a waiter who gives abysmal service, and reward those who go above and beyond.

I don't dispute this, but the notion that refusing to tip, or just tipping very badly, in America is going to effect positive change in that direction is ludicrous.

Restaurants/food-serving business is a business, yes? And businesses tend to do whatever it takes to gain profits from the smallest amount of cost possible.

You say taking off tipping will jack up the food price, but whose to say that even with tipping the food price you have right now is the "correct" one and not just the restaurants screwing with the costumers and putting up prices whatever they like without consideration about this whole tipping-not tipping fights?

It's all about businesses acting selfishly, and you folks need to do something against that instead of getting angry to people confused at this practice while saying, "this is how it is and it can't be changed!" Why can't it be changed for something better?

...Maybe I am just too jaded *shrugs*

I feel like a $1400 order has long since crossed the line between "delivery" and "catering".

I mean, 85 pizzas? They sent just one guy out for that? I think most restaurants would require a fair amount of advance notice for an order like that, and wouldn't send just one guy to do it. If they're not typically a catering company, they might even arrange for some extra employees to be around.

I mean the tip thing sucks, but this whole situation seems like it should've been handled better by the pizza place.

Right. "Pizza delivery" has certain expectations and a very large tip seems out of place. Meanwhile, an official event sponsored by a catering company has a much different sentiment surrounding it.

Those orders are made in advance, so the kitchen will be staffed for it. The place I worked at would create an assembly line that would pump out pizzas, and honestly, they're standing around making pizzas either way.

It's the big orders that come out of nowhere that get you. It can be like an hour to closing, things are winding down, there are only two guys in the kitchen because the third left... and then BAM! $200 order comes in. That's when I feel they deserve the tip more than me.

Ideally that's the case, but in my experience it doesn't happen that way.

I've been on the preparation side of an $800 dollar order where the delivery driver took the entirety of a $60 tip. He put about as much work into the delivery as he normally would have, while myself and two other people worked hard for an hour and a half to accommodate the fact that they placed the order last minute.

Loofy

How the hell should I know? These things are variable. It's totally variable but more than likely at minimum $10.
My bad I thought you were telling everyone the opportunity cost is most certainly more than $10.
A realistic tip for each delivery is $3-5. I doubt he could have made 2-3 deliveries in the time it took him to load and unload 85 pizzas into his truck and make 1 delivery.

Dead Man

The multiple deliveries that could have been done with far less effort in the time it took to do the single delivery.

I'm guessing you've never done this before.

It takes multiple trips from the kitchen to your vehicle to load it up. You have to play a fucked up form of Tetris cramming the pizzas into your vehicle while keeping them balanced and intact. Honestly I've had it take longer to load my car than it took to deliver and unload it, and that was with less pizzas than this guy did.

Seriously, not even factoring the extra work, the time it takes alone makes it suck.

Sorry man, this is getting into some weird 'oh no, I had to do my job, pay me extra' territory now.

No thanks.
I make more as a pizza guy than I did as a project estimator.

Things like this do not help those crying poverty over small tips. Not saying you have any obligation too, it just puts other peoples complaints into perspective.

Apath

Restaurants/food-serving business is a business, yes? And businesses tend to do whatever it takes to gain profits from the smallest amount of cost possible.

You say taking off tipping will jack up the food price, but whose to say that even with tipping the food price you have right now is the "correct" one and not just the restaurants screwing with the costumers and putting up prices whatever they like without consideration about this whole tipping-not tipping fights?

It's all about businesses acting selfishly, and you folks need to do something against that instead of getting angry to people confused at this practice while saying, "this is how it is and it can't be changed!" Why can't it be changed for something better?

...Maybe I am just too jaded *shrugs*
The fact is, at the place I worked at, increase in costs meant an increase in cost to the consumer. If the owner had to go from paying $10-$20 a driver to $50+, you're going to see an increase in costs.
Sorry man, this is getting into some weird 'oh no, I had to do my job, pay me extra' territory now.
What? You asked about the opportunity cost, stating it's 10 extra minutes. I am telling you loading 85 pizzas and then unloading them is not 10 extra minutes.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Or if you don't like tipping you can go pick up $1400 worth of pizza yourself.

Why would I do that? I can give some guy $10 to deliver it to my house.

tumblr_mexpafJ5851rouyxzo1_500.gif

Snark aside, a lot of wealthy people are frugal. A few rag-to-riches stories are obsessed with showing of their new found wealth and create the false expectation of wasteful spending.

Eh, if they paid them more, they'd dump it on the customer, anyway.

I acknowledge it's a stupid practice, but I don't take that out on the people who depend on tips to survive.

That increase in price would be less than some people here and reddit expect customers to tip.

What the fuck at that article? Tipping 25-30% is fucking absurd. Who the hell does that?

Redditors. Or at least they claim they do.

/I avoid working where tipping is supposed to replace actual salary.

Dead Man

The fact is, at the place I worked at, increase in costs meant an increase in cost to the consumer. If the owner had to go from paying $10-$20 a driver to $50+, you're going to see an increase in costs.

What? You asked about the opportunity cost, stating it's 10 extra minutes. I am telling you loading 85 pizzas and then unloading them is not 10 extra minutes.

Regardless of what it is, it is not 3 deliveries worth of time. $10 for even a half hours work is pretty damn good.

I still want to know what fast food employees have to do with anything. They don't use their brains for an entire shift. Cause they both lift stuff? Then how come UPS drives make so much more than Pizza delivery guys and fast food workers????

So derp

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
To clarify, if I ever visiting the US I will also tip; rule of the house and all that; but I wouldn't be able to stop myself from feeling weird when I do it. It's just strange.

Apath

Regardless of what it is, it is not 3 deliveries worth of time. $10 for even a half hours work is pretty damn good.
I'd say it would take closer to an hour than 30 minutes for the delivery. It really depends on how far away the house is.

Things like this do not help those crying poverty over small tips. Not saying you have any obligation too, it just puts other peoples complaints into perspective.

Oh well?
Quite a few people who work for tips make out very well, and they're not going to give that up for minimum wage.

Alucrid

Banned
I still want to know what fast food employees have to do with anything. They don't use their brains for an entire shift. Cause they both lift stuff? Then how come UPS drives make so much more than Pizza delivery guys and fast food workers????

So derp

UPS guys probably don't pay for the wear and tear on their truck. And the drivers are the ones that get good money, and it's difficult to get that position.

Dead Man

I'd say it would take closer to an hour than 30 minutes for the delivery. It really depends on how far away the house is.

I maybe wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about travel time, which isn't normally considered in the tip, right? So 30 minutes to load and unload. $10 tip. Pretty good to me. Shit, I would probably have tipped $20 and felt good, but I don't live in the US.

Oh well?
Quite a few people who work for tips make out very well, and they're not going to give that up for minimum wage.

That's my point :) Many tipped jobs make great money and then bitch when people don't tip but also don't want any changes to the system.

Pennywise

And since we don't know the exact details regarding this delivery the whole discussion, at least in terms of the circumstances is nonsense.

Why would I do that? I can give some guy $10 to deliver it to my house.

tumblr_mexpafJ5851rouyxzo1_500.gif

Snark aside, a lot of wealthy people are frugal. A few rag-to-riches stories are obsessed with showing of their new found wealth and create the false expectation of wasteful spending.

Pretty much all wealthy people are frugal. If they're not frugal, they're generous only in their philanthropy. Wastefully spending money is just a bad idea, no matter who you are or how much money you have. A tip should always be proportional to the service provided.

That increase in price would be less than some people here and reddit expect customers to tip.

Redditors. Or at least they claim they do.

Now this is a bit silly. I always tip 40% on every delivery I get. There's no reasoning behind it...I just like good service. And if I get the same delivery driver again, I get extra good service the next time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom