• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza Guy gets 10 dollar tip on $1400 order

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know it's delusion and not having high standards?

Because it's not about your standards, it about the standards set by society and you're expected to learn and you follow those standards.

It's the same reason I can't run around town naked waving my dick around even if I'd feel perfectly fine doing so. I understand that's not socially acceptable and I don't do it.

It's the same reason I can't run around town naked waving my dick around even if I'd feel perfectly fine doing so. I understand that's not socially acceptable and I don't do it.

Not really... There's laws stopping you from doing that.

There's not really anything analogous to tipping, which is why it's so weird a concept.

JordanN

Banned
Because it's not about your standards, it about the standards set by society and you're expected to learn and you follow those standards.

So now society has the same mouth and brain?

If someone says the food wasn't tasty, where does society stand?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
There's not really anything analogous to tipping, which is why it's so weird a concept.

Nah there are plenty of other societal norms. Basic hygiene, for example. I could never brush my teeth or shower, because I just don't feel like it and I'm totally OK with it. It's not against the law to go out in public without having bathed for weeks. I mean, homeless people live their entire lives that way!

edit: Ooh and by not bathing, people tend to stay away from me because I'm so disgusting. This means I always have plenty of room on public transportation, skip to the front of lines for things, etc. But these are just imaginary benefits I guess.

Society would say the food quality isn't really reflective of table service, and is more subject to personal taste. For further information about society, ask your nearest human being.

Being a member of a 1st-world society is all about recognizing societal expectations and conforming to them insofar as they allow others to receive adequate compensation.

In our society we have the expectation that when you have food delivered, and the service was at least passable, you pay a decent tip.

That's the way we're structured. Anything less is equivalent to robbery.

UrokeJoe

Being a member of a 1st-world society is all about recognizing societal expectations and conforming to them insofar as they allow others to receive adequate compensation.

In our society we have the expectation that when you have food delivered, and the service was at least passable, you pay a decent tip.

I've bought into that, in fact I'm still invested for the time being.. Society is a changing bitch though...

JordanN

Banned

Considering how infrequent pizza deliveries are, I find that hard to believe.

Unless there's a pizza delivery ceremony where someone orders pizza and all the neighborhood comes out onto their doorsteps to observe what are the proper procedures that relegate passable service.

That you pay a tip for food service.

Normally I wouldn't feel the need to link those words to wikipedia but you've demonstrated an extreme ability to not understand the most basic of concepts.
Food service is a broad term you know.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

Unless there's a pizza delivery ceremony where someone orders pizza and all the neighborhood comes out onto their doorsteps to observe what are the proper procedures that relegate passable service.

lol what? are you serious?

This is an extremely common practice in the US. People order delivery pizza all the time, especially weekend nights or when the heads of household (parents) are too tired to cook.

edit: Domino's alone delivered 400 million pizzas last year: http://www.dominos.com/about-pizza/

That's more than one per household, just from one company.

I feel like we're talking to Starman.

2063-18181.gif

way more

This is an extremely common practice in the US. People order delivery pizza all the time, especially weekend nights or when the heads of household (parents) are too tired to cook.

Next he will ask you to clarify what this concept of "parent" or "cooking" is.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Then you'd be displaying traits of a sociopath. In fact, the mentality of a lot of you "non-tippers" is similar to sociopathic behavior. Interesting, that.

• Pretentious sense of self
  • Lack of shame
  • Pathological Lying
  • Lack of Empathy

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html
It's possible for a person to be empathic but still refuse to tip. For example, they don't tip because they don't like how the system marginalizes the wait staff by exposing a large portion of their wages to the whims of tippers. The only way to change such a system is to ensure that it's not viable.

It's also possible that one could detest other people and tip out of sheer mistrust.

A lot of countries don't even have a tipping custom, even when the wages are deplorable. Doesn't mean that they're all sociopaths either. "Not tipping = sociopath" doesn't seem like a sound argument.

Nah there are plenty of other societal norms. Basic hygiene, for example. I could never brush my teeth or shower, because I just don't feel like it and I'm totally OK with it. It's not against the law to go out in public without having bathed for weeks. I mean, homeless people live their entire lives that way!

Perhaps, but you wouldn't vilify someone with poor personal hygiene in the same way you would someone who doesn't tip well enough.

And I just mean there's nothing else that's so important that's entirely left up to the discretion of the individual. If it affected any other demographic outside of the lowest earners, we'd* have laws mandating its payment years ago.

* By which I mean you - I'm not from the US.

JordanN

Banned

It's about finding passable service. Unless that pizza driver is going door to door to every house, there's rarely a time you find a pizza delivery in sync with the neighbourhood.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps, but you wouldn't vilify someone with poor personal hygiene in the same way you would someone who doesn't tip well enough.

I absolutely would. Are you suggesting I would vilify non-tippers more, or less?

If it affected any other demographic outside of the lowest earners, we'd* have laws mandating its payment years ago..

As a waiter I actually preferred the tipping system. I made way more money from tips than I would've if my employer paid me minimum wage. I was rewarded for working hard and being nice and charismatic. It puts you as a waiter more in control of how much you're paid, instead of your employer. (all of this assumes that you aren't living in a city full of JordanNs)

It's about finding passable service. Unless that pizza driver is going door to door to every house, there's rarely a time you find a pizza delivery in sync with the neighbourhood.

You average out your experiences with delivery people, both at your home and the homes of your friends, to get a general sense of "standard" quality.

Alucrid

Banned
It's possible for a person to be empathic but still refuse to tip. For example, they don't tip because they don't like how the system marginalizes the wait staff by exposing a large portion of their wages to the whims of tippers. The only way to change such a system is to ensure that it's not viable.

It's also possible that one could detest other people and tip out of sheer mistrust.

A lot of countries don't even have a tipping custom, even when the wages are deplorable. Doesn't mean that they're all sociopaths either. "Not tipping = sociopath" doesn't seem like a sound argument.

If they were empathetic they'd realize that the 'system' leaves them both no choice and that by not tipping they're only doing harm to the waiter. In fact the only empathetic way I can think of protesting the system is by not eating out at all, of course then you're harming the wait staff indirectly by no longer providing your patronage.

Food service is a broad term you know.

Pizza places will usually give you an estimate on delivery time, so anything that blows well past it is a problem. Domino's used to guarantee a half hour or less, although that started to kill them. People generally expect anywhere from twenty to forty-five minutes, and an hour is too fucking long unless you ordered during a ridiculously busy time and they warned you it would take that long. And nobody really wants their pizza delivered cold, or with the wrong toppings.

Can we help you with anything else, alien visitor?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

Well, my biggest problem is that with social media the way it is, you're seeing this ever louder contingency of tip-receiving employees ever trying to raise the bar of what a tip should be for and what is expected.

Dude left a pretty small tip for that size order, big fucking deal.. move on. To be honest reddit guy is just as big, if not a bigger asshole for posting the receipt. I don't post on Reddit about every asshole I deal with every day, nor should I.

I absolutely would. Are you suggesting I would vilify non-tippers more, or less?

Really? I was assuming you wouldn't go on the attack with someone with poor hygiene!

I've had to bring it up with somebody at work before, and it was a painful, awkward experience, trying to be as tactful as possible. Hmm, perhaps I should have gone with the "FUCK YOU, YOU RANCID-SMELLING PIECE OF SHIT" approach...

As a waiter I actually preferred the tipping system. I made way more money from tips than I would've if my employer paid me minimum wage. I was rewarded for working hard and being nice and charismatic. It puts you as a waiter more in control of how much you're paid, instead of your employer. (all of this assumes that you aren't living in a city full of JordanNs)

But from what everybody has been saying, aren't customers socially-obligated to tip generously, no matter what?

way more

And I just mean there's nothing else that's so important that's entirely left up to the discretion of the individual. If it affected any other demographic outside of the lowest earners, we'd* have laws mandating its payment years ago.

* By which I mean you - I'm not from the US.

I would put a non-tipper on the same level as any arrogant jerk who talks down to people in any service industry. It's not illegal to be a dick but when someone acts that way consistently you shun people with such noxious traits.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The way I see it, you should tip if the service was adequate because it is the right thing to do.

But if you're a waiter/delivery person, don't blame customers when they don't tip, because it was your employer that put you on an asinine payment system instead of giving you a proper salary like every other job. I don't like how employers have passed the blame onto customers when it is their actions that have brought upon this whole situation in the first place.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Really? I was assuming you wouldn't go on the attack with someone with poor hygiene!

I've had to bring it up with somebody at work before, and it was a painful, awkward experience, trying to be as tactful as possible. Hmm, perhaps I should have gone with the "FUCK YOU, YOU RANCID-SMELLING PIECE OF SHIT" approach...

If I knew the person was deliberately neglecting their hygiene (the way that non-tippers consciously don't tip), then yes, I would.

I'm not talking about someone who forgot to take a shower once or didn't realize how sweaty they were going to get while biking to work, just like we aren't talking about people who forget to leave a tip once or are in the US for the 1st time and aren't aware of tipping culture.

But from what everybody has been saying, aren't customers socially-obligated to tip generously, no matter what?

No. Standard service deserves a standard tip (10-15%). Good service would be higher than that, poor service would be lower (or none). I've gotten as high as 100% tips before from customers. I've also made some customers angry and gotten stiffed. It happens.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
If they were empathetic they'd realize that the 'system' leaves them both no choice and that by not tipping they're only doing harm to the waiter. In fact the only empathetic way I can think of protesting the system is by not eating out at all, of course then you're harming the wait staff indirectly by no longer providing your patronage.
If no one tipped the wage structure would have to change to reflect that. Waiters wouldn't work at those wages without tips and the government wouldn't allow restaurants to pay below minimum wage without tips either.

Alucrid

Banned
If no one tipped the wage structure would have to change to reflect that. Waiters wouldn't work at those wages without tips and the government wouldn't allow restaurants to pay below minimum wage without tips either.

Yeah, but that won't ever happen.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

Many (most?) states require restaurants to pay up to minimum wage if a server doesn't receive it in tips (I don't think this happens often, currently). However, if everyone DID stop tipping, it would put financial burden on the restaurants. They would either fire some of their waitstaff and work short-handed, or raise the price of food to compensate.

JABEE

I know not tipping is rude, but bringing up images of people shitting and slapping their dick on your food makes me wonder if the non-tippers are the sociopaths in this thread.

You should tip, because you want to compensate a person for delivering your food.

Something I always found strange about people who tip, because it is noble, often say they will tip more if a cute girl brings them food. How does being a female and attractive justify the extra compensation? If the argument for tipping is that it is done in order to promote fair wages and compensation, I would have to argue that participating in any of the aforementioned tipping practices is a violation of the ethical goal of fairness. That is a point and discussion for another thread though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Many (most?) states require restaurants to pay up to minimum wage if a server doesn't receive it in tips (I don't think this happens often, currently. However, if everyone DID stop tipping, it would put financial burden on the restaurants. They would either fire some of their waitstaff and work short-handed, or raise the price of food to compensate.
That's a possibility. However, if either of those options would lead to a greater profit loss than eating the costs they would eat the costs.

The consequences and the likelihood of industry-wide tip free food service are open to speculation.

dorkimoe

10$ aint too bad

You do realize that the 1400 pizzas arent coming from his fridge right? and he didnt make them

You do realize that the 1400 pizzas arent coming from his fridge right? and he didnt make them

Yes, someone has already posted this nonsensical dreck already.

Sorry I'll conduct some research on the percentage of people that want their pizza's cold and late.

You know some stuff is just common sense and doesn't need citation right? right?

Your larger point seems to be that the amount of labor required to deliver 1 pizza is the same as 85 pizzas, and therefore no difference in tip is required. This is wrong and stupid and impossible to back up. The only reason you'd say that is to rationalize a crummy tip.

Goodness me I know tipping is different in America but if I did the job I was already paid to do and someone gave me an extra £10 for no additional effort I would be rather chuffed at the money.

Skeyser

I think it's a bit stupid to expect a large tip in this situation. If I'm ordering 85 pizzas, I'm sure that I can find someone at the party who'd be happy to go pick them up for much less than hundreds.

I know not tipping is rude, but bringing up images of people shitting and slapping their dick on your food makes me wonder if the non-tippers are the sociopaths in this thread.

You should tip, because you want to compensate a person for delivering your food.

Something I always found strange about people who tip, because it is noble, often say they will tip more if a cute girl brings them food. How does being a female and attractive justify the extra compensation? If the argument for tipping is that it is done in order to promote fair wages and compensation, I would have to argue that participating in any of the aforementioned tipping practices is a violation of the ethical goal of fairness. That is a point and discussion for another thread though.

Non-tipping in America is just a particular brand of assholery. Tipping certainly doesn't make you a saint. Just not a certain kind of jerk.

Also, the thought that wait staff or cooks would do something to your food for any reason is reprehensible. I've made it pretty clear that I think not tipping in the U.S. is seriously jerky, but nothing deserves having your food fouled. I have known waiters/waitresses who took great offense at the suggestion that this is anything even close to a common occurrence, so I hope it isn't. On the other hand, there seem to be a fair number of anecdotes from the land of restaurant service to the contrary.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Why are posters continuing to parrot a 20% tip that neither the OP in the reddit thread nor the waiter is confirmed to have demanded, instead of focusing on how paltry a $10 tip is on that much delivered food? Surely there is some happy medium between $10 and $200 that most can agree the driver earned for this delivery?

What about all the people that actually made that many pizzas

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
As a waiter at Abblebees, I have to give 3% of all sales to the hostess/host at the end of the night. For such a order, I would have lost over $30 even with the $10 tip.

Dead Man

Why should the delivery guy get tipped by how much food he carries? I almost understand the argument for large parties in restaurants leading to a percentage of large bills, but for delivery?

As a waiter at Abblebees, I have to give 3% of all sales to the hostess/host at the end of the night. For such a order, I would have lost over $30 even with the $10 tip.

That is some Sicilian style shit.

Loofy

$10, thats more than an hours work for a fast food employee. And if he took more than an hour to drive there then thats shoddy service...

It probably took a few hours preparing/delivering that. He should almost get a nights worth of pay for that order. It's not like effort is all you're paying for. Time is money, friends. Can't afford to tip on 14 pizzas? Then order 12.

$10, thats more than an hours work for a fast food employee.

What the hell is your point? We're talking about delivering pizzas.

Jaroof

That's pretty ridiculous.
Honestly, if you have that kind of money to blow, why not be appreciative of what the man has done for you and give him more than a measly $10.
Delivering that many pizzas couldn't have been a simple thing.
That's honestly pretty insulting.
I don't understand people sometimes.

I would have tipped a 50.

Even this would've been better than $10.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Pizza delivery sucks.

Be a waiter instead. No wear and tear on the car and better money. Not as chill, but hey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom