• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza Guy gets 10 dollar tip on $1400 order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
You say tipping is expected but also acknowledged it's not forced. Where's the benefit?

I also noticed you made an exception,

"not tipping for service that isn't awful "

What if I say all service is awful, what then?

Then you're being a dick.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

Then don't tip. That's the beauty of the tipping system. But if all service is awful, you probably aren't picking very good restaurants, or you're lying and being a dick.

In a non-tipping culture, you're paying as much (or almost as much) as if you'd have tipped, because the extra cost to the employer for paying higher wages is now lumped into the food, but if the service is awful, too bad, you have no control and have to pay the fixed rate.

JordanN

Banned
Then don't tip. That's the beauty of the tipping system. But if all service is awful, you probably aren't picking very good restaurants, or you're lying and being a dick.

In a non-tipping culture, you're paying as much (or almost as much) as if you'd have tipped, because the extra cost to the employer for paying higher wages is now lumped into the food, but if the service is awful, too bad, you have no control and have to pay the fixed rate.
How can you prove I'm lying?

sfedai0

Banned
You say tipping is expected but also acknowledged it's not forced. Where's the benefit?

The benefit is to insure a certain level of service as there is a vested interest for the server. Hence, the optional part. But there will always be folks like you who try to be sly and end up looking like a asshole.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

How likely is it really that you've never received good service in your entire life? (edit: and not just "not good", but "awful")

No one needs to prove you're lying to believe you are and think you're an asshole.

Meadows

Banned
I once did a £400 order ($650) and didn't get any tips!

It was an order for a LAN party full of sweaty, socially retarded nerds. Couldn't get out of there soon enough.

JordanN

Banned
How likely is it really that you've never received good service in your entire life?

No one needs to prove you're lying to believe you are and think you're an asshole.

How do you measure good and how do you know it meets my level of good?

The benefit is that you are eating and being served food at a restaurant charging prices set by their saving at least $6 per hour per wait staff employee, thanks to subsidies from other tippers.

Most restaurants fail, by the way, so arguing that they generally have the margins to pay regular wages at the same menu prices is pretty thin.

There's an objective metric of service. Get your food hot and on time? Drinks brought in a timely manner? Drinks properly refilled? Proper menu recommendations and pairings with appropriate wine? Tables timely cleared and prepared in between multi-course meals (this is in the fine dining area, but that's probably beyond you so dont' worry about it) Checks closed properly and also in a timely manner? It's not all subjective.

The only really subjective aspect is how engaging in conversation the waiter is. Some guests like talking to their waiter, some want them to just perform the proper duties.

10$ for a single car trip seems fair.

Expecting anything more than $20 for it is ridiculous. You're doing the same amount of work that you would do for one pizza delivery, you're not going to get $200 just because there is more pizza's involved. If you want to use that line of reasoning, the restaurant workers should get the cash because they're the ones who actually had to do significantly more labor.

I feel like anyone who doesn't tip a satisfactory amount on small orders (10%-30%)....robs the delivery driver of money he deserves.

They don't make minimum wage because you are expected by society to tip them.

That's non-negotiable. Not-tipping in the USA is a highly-offensive social taboo that should only be reserved for the most horrendous service.

When I used to deliver and do catering, I got a tip like this once.

After they handed over the cash, and I had realized the paltry tip, they had the audacity to ask me to move one of the tables.

I told them to fuck off and left.

Expecting anything more than $20 for it is ridiculous. You're doing the same amount of work that you would do for one pizza delivery, you're not going to get $200 just because there is more pizza's involved. If you want to use that line of reasoning, the restaurant workers should get the cash because they're the ones who actually had to do significantly more labor.

85 PIZZAS!!!! WTF? Can you carry 85 large pizzas in one go?

Then you'd be displaying traits of a sociopath. In fact, the mentality of a lot of you "non-tippers" is similar to sociopathic behavior. Interesting, that.

• Pretentious sense of self
  • Lack of shame
  • Pathological Lying
  • Lack of Empathy

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

Alucrid

Banned

I guess if you're Goro or something.

When I used to deliver and do catering, I got a tip like this once.

After they handed over the cash, and I had realized the paltry tip, they had the audacity to ask me to move one of the tables.

I told them to fuck off and left.

That's the part where you say you'd gladly do so if they tipped right lol.

Koomaster

For 85 pizzas? Do you think they were Pizza Pockets?
All the person has to do is carry some boxes to my door.

Transporting them by car from the restaurant to my house would be the same work whether it was 1 pizza or 85. The car is doing the work there.

$10 is fair, there shouldn't be an expectation that someone will tip.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I wonder if the pizza shop owner gave him a bigger share of the profits.

Probably not.

Transporting them by car from the restaurant to my house would be the same work whether it was 1 pizza or 85. The car is doing the work there.

The person could have also used that time to deliver other pizzas and make more tip money. It's like taxi drivers.

JordanN

Banned
There's an objective metric of service. Get your food hot and on time? Drinks brought in a timely manner? Drinks properly refilled? Proper menu recommendations and pairings with appropriate wine? Tables timely cleared and prepared in between multi-course meals (this is in the fine dining area, but that's probably beyond you so dont' worry about it) Checks closed properly and also in a timely manner? It's not all subjective.

The only really subjective aspect is how engaging in conversation the waiter is. Some guests like talking to their waiter, some want them to just perform the proper duties.
Is there an official checklist of service?

I want to know how much ml a drink is considered properly refilled.

Then you'd be displaying traits of a sociopath. In fact, the mentality of a lot of you "non-tippers" is similar to sociopathic behavior. Interesting, that.

• Pretentious sense of self
  • Lack of shame
  • Pathological Lying
  • Lack of Empathy

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html
So where does bad service comes from since it's apparent not liking a restaurant makes you a sociopath.

Mik2121

I dunno, your mind seemed pretty blown that another country could possibly be doing things different. YOU'D BE CRAZY TO SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT HERE MAN!!!! Hey did you know we don't throw spears at bulls here? If someone suggested that theyd look like an asshole!!
Uhm.... no, my mind wasn't blown. I've been to the US as well (and I tipped there), but it's just that the way the whole tipping thing is put is kind of crazy when you think about it from another country's perspective. And it's something you pretty much have to do if you go and have food outside...

Either way, I was just commenting on it because I found it interesting, there's no need to make fun of it I think. Sorry either way.

I'm pretty sure the guy doesn't always expect a tip on timely and prooper service. He's probably accepted the fact that some people are just complete assholes.

Uhm.... no, my mind wasn't blown. I've been to the US as well (and I tipped there), but it's just that the way the whole tipping thing is put is kind of crazy when you think about it from another country's perspective. And it's something you pretty much have to do if you go and have food outside...

Either way, I was just commenting on it because I found it interesting, there's no need to make fun of it I think. Sorry either way.

More than half the restaurants here actually don't have table side service. There's a lot of places you can go to where tipping never comes up.

You honestly think the people ordering the pizzas would wait on the delivery boy to cart in all the pizzas? They would get cold. Every party I've been to with mass pizza ordering lend the guy a hand, both to help him and get the pizzas in quicker.

Wouldn't put it past someone who only tips 10 on 1400

I've had it happen to me with 20 pizzas.

sfedai0

Banned

So where does bad service comes from since it's apparent not liking a restaurant makes you a sociopath.

So now youre just playing devils advocate. Stop pouting and just accept the fact you're a cheapskate.

JABEE

Is the article implying that he should get 300 bucks for it? Lol.

Considering some of the horrible shit waiter-age implies to do with people's food from time to time, I doubt anybody would be dumb enough to do this.
Exactly. I'm surprised they can function in society.

You honestly think the people ordering the pizzas would wait on the delivery boy to cart in all the pizzas? They would get cold. Every party I've been to with mass pizza ordering lend the guy a hand, both to help him and get the pizzas in quicker.

So you've gone from being wrong to backing up your BS with an anecdote. Cool.

There is a human being in that car.

coldvein

Banned

everybody in this thread and everybody who has ever served you knows you're cheap and probably an asshole. nothing needs to be proven. i know you don't care, but i'm just saying.

Hilti92

You must have never gotten tipped before if you have this opinion. It is always nice getting a tip and when someone is spending that much money there is no way that a $10 tip is fair. I work as a cashier and I have gotten a $20 tip before by a man who spent $80. I worked coat check before and made $120 off tips alone. Tips are great to get and when the majority of people who deliver pizzas and serve food are kids, they need the money. Like said, if you can't afford to leave a tip, don't go out and eat. Even if the service is bad, I still leave a tip.

Mik2121

I have a question for US-GAF. When you tip the delivery guys, does he give part of the tip to the kitchen workers or he just keeps it? If the delivery guy keeps it, does that mean he gets paid less than the people at the kitchen and therefore needs the tip, or you are, indeed, not paying the kitchen staff what they deserve?

I know in Spain some restaurants have a small tips box and you just put your tip there and they share it all within all the staff. Is that also common in the US?

What are you talking about? To do what you said you'd either be incapable of distinguishing good from bad, or you'd be purposely deluding yourself into thinking service was bad in order to skip out on a tip for your personal gain and at the expense of others. Either of which would make you a mild sociopath.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Most of the time delivery drivers in the US don't get paid a wage. They're paid in tips and maybe $20 from the till if the owner is feeling generous.

That's illegal.

tumblr_mitolfMarv1qmjvblo1_500.png

Except in states where that isn't the law.. but the same 20% is expected. I live in Oregon.. wait staff are paid min. wage at the very least.

It's a shit law that states can do it, and it needs to change.

I tip because it's custom, but wait staff can stop with the woah-is-me bullshit guilt trips that is really nothing more than a ploy to keep raising that "standard" 20% even higher.

I'd much rather skip that whole bullshit charade and pay a price and have servers work like any other employees and be judged by their employer for the quality of work they do.

JordanN

Banned
So I guess all those other non-tippers are not cheap.

What are you talking about? To do what you said you'd either be incapable of distinguishing good from bad, or you'd be purposely deluding yourself into thinking service was bad in order to skip out on a tip for your personal gain and at the expense of others. Either of which would make you a mild sociopath.
How do you know it's delusion and not having high standards?

JABEE

85 pizzas is a lot. I usually tip $3 on top of delivery when I order one pizza. There had to be more than one guy delivering 85 pizzas or this story is fake. An order that big would need to be prepared and delivered in a very tight window if freshness was a concern.

Did they get your order correct? That's pretty objective.

Also I'm pretty sure restaurants have metrics for how long it should take to collect, cook and serve your order, table visits, and yes, proper "refills". Though it may vary somewhat from restaurant to restaurant, it is likely not by much as most people are equipped with the ability to gauge what is "reasonable" to other people.

The Red Barron Pizza delivery driver got a $0 tip for delivering $300,000 worth of frozen pizzas to Walmart last week. Write about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom