• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | June 2015

RK128

So I got this:

Time to dig in.

Have fun man :D! While not the strongest tittles in the series (KH1 has a odd camera system and Re:Chain of Memories re-treads on KH1 too much) but they are still great Action RPGs :).

Hope you get the 2.5 Collection too; that has the strongest games in the series in one spot.

Even if it was super cheap?

If the price was right around $10 or below then I would say it might be worth it. Granted, I feel like "super cheap" is when most people would buy games that are widely considered bad or not worth it. There are better DRPGs on the vita (and psp), but I understand that some people don't want to pass up a good deal.

Prelude.

Well aren't those male idols part of a re-release in Japan? If no, then I read the news wrong because I thought that it was something like Soul Sacrifice Delta.
No, it's just a song and maybe they'll do something else with that "group", like a mini-album or something.

RK128

It seems NA is getting a Vita retail print for SAO: Lost Song as well, it's up for pre-order at Gamestop.

That's great news :D; Hallow Fragment was huge game (3+ GB, not including that huge 500MB patch that came out last September), so for people tight on Memory Card space, a physical copy of Lost Song is really good.

I might get a retail copy, but I like getting Vita games digitally (and I did get SAO: Hallow Fragment at full price digital when it came out), so I might just get it digitally again :).

Thanks for the heads up Shizuka :D; this is great news.

RK128

Didn't we know that from the start?

I guess many of us thought (myself included) that the Vita version was going to be digital only like Hallow Fragment again with the PS4 version getting retail copies. But its nice to know that GameStop is having retail copies of the game at least :D.

Prelude.

I guess many of us thought (myself included) that the Vita version was going to be digital only like Hallow Fragment again with the PS4 version getting retail copies. But its nice to know that GameStop is having retail copies of the game at least :D.
Well, HF is digital only on PS4 too but I think they said Lost Song was gonna be a retail release from the start.

RK128

Well, HF is digital only on PS4 too but I think they said Lost Song was gonna be a retail release from the start.

Okay, must have mis-heard something then. I guess Hallow Fragment is digital only for PS4 is due to it being a remaster or due to the Vita version being digital only too.

Either way, glad that a retail version is coming regardless :D.

So some thoughts on Kingdom Hearts after 4hrs of playing. Game feels old, because it is. The camera is very weird, and I keep falling off stages or platforms (oh god platforms...). On the other hand is the story which although slow right now feels like it's shaping up to make for some special moments. I was expecting the Disney characters to act more idk, childish? So far that isn't really the case, and the characters have funny personalities. Donald and Goofy are a very likeable duo.

RK128

So some thoughts on Kingdom Hearts after 4hrs of playing. Game feels old, because it is. The camera is very weird, and I keep falling off stages or platforms (oh god platforms...). On the other hand is the story which although slow right now feels like it's shaping up to make for some special moments. I was expecting the Disney characters to act more idk, childish? So far that isn't really the case, and the characters have funny personalities. Donald and Goofy are a very likeable duo.

The camera was a big issue even when the original PS2 version was out; that was heavily highlighted in reviews and I hoped that the remaster would fix that by mapping it to the right stick (or at least make it work like KH2).

KH1 is known for a lot of platforming, more so then latter tittles in the series. It gets a bit annoying, but you will get used to it after a while :). I know I did when I played it on the PS2.

The Disney cast has a much, much bigger role in the KH story in KH1 than any other game in the series; in KH1, the Disney Villains work together and are a huge issues for Sora and company. In KH2 and latter games, the Disney worlds are more like 'tours' through the worlds, rather than having really important significance to the core plot (which works well, considering how....confusing, the story gets at times).

Donald and Goofy are awesome in the series XD! They have some great back-and-fourth with Sora and you really get the impression that they become strong friends with Sora :).

KH1 does a great job using the Disney side of the fence, while KH2 does a solid job using the Final Fantasy side of things (the middle of KH2 really rocks :D).

The camera was a big issue even when the original PS2 version was out; that was heavily highlighted in reviews and I hoped that the remaster would fix that by mapping it to the right stick (or at least make it work like KH2).

KH1 is known for a lot of platforming, more so then latter tittles in the series. It gets a bit annoying, but you will get used to it after a while :). I know I did when I played it on the PS2.

The Disney cast has a much, much bigger role in the KH story in KH1 than any other game in the series; in KH1, the Disney Villains work together and are a huge issues for Sora and company. In KH2 and latter games, the Disney worlds are more like 'tours' through the worlds, rather than having really important significance to the core plot (which works well, considering how....confusing, the story gets at times).

Donald and Goofy are awesome in the series XD! They have some great back-and-fourth with Sora and you really get the impression that they become strong friends with Sora :).

KH1 does a great job using the Disney side of the fence, while KH2 does a solid job using the Final Fantasy side of things (the middle of KH2 really rocks :D).
I do have to wonder, how someone comes up with a crazy idea like this, "Hey let's mesh FF and Disney into one game, and make a very confusing and hard to follow storyline!". Btw seeing
FF X characters as kids right from where you start put a smile on my face

RK128

I do have to wonder, how someone comes up with a crazy idea like this, "Hey let's mesh FF and Disney into one game, and make a very confusing and hard to follow storyline!". Btw seeing
FF X characters as kids right from where you start put a smile on my face

The origins of KH's is a lot more simple than one would expect XD.

It all started with a Square rep and an Disney rep chill in an elevator together (as the shared the same office I think) and both talking about how they respect each others work. It went to some point with "Hay, how about we blend FF and Disney together?". Then, the very early ideas were formed.

Donald or Mickey was supposed to the be main star, but Square decided on an original character that heavily mirrored Mickey's core design (why do you think Sora has red pants and white gloves ;)?) but was supposed to be a lion with the Keyblade being a chain-saw like blade. After some changes to the design, we got the Sora we got today.

KH1 was inspired by Mario 64 and OoT; Normua really wanted to make a game like those, so he saved that idea for stronger hardware (PS2) to really make it shine.

A last bit of KH trivia is that Lion King was supposed to appear in KH1 but was cut due to the combat engine not supporting the lion form of Sora (which you latter see in KH2).

The origins of KH's is a lot more simple than one would expect XD.

It all started with a Square rep and an Disney rep chill in an elevator together (as the shared the same office I think) and both talking about how they respect each others work. It went to some point with "Hay, how about we blend FF and Disney together?". Then, the very early ideas were formed.

Donald or Mickey was supposed to the be main star, but Square decided on an original character that heavily mirrored Mickey's core design (why do you think Sora has red pants and white gloves ;)?) but was supposed to be a lion with the Keyblade being a chain-saw like blade. After some changes to the design, we got the Sora we got today.

KH1 was inspired by Mario 64 and OoT; Normua really wanted to make a game like those, so he saved that idea for stronger hardware (PS2) to really make it shine.

A last bit of KH trivia is that Lion King was supposed to appear in KH1 but was cut due to the combat engine not supporting the lion form of Sora (which you latter see in KH2).
Uh what do you know, thanks for this that's pretty cool. Guess it "just happened" like Telltale and Gearbox's Borderlands. Proof that what sometimes may seem like a bad fit can work very nicely.

RK128

Uh what do you know, thanks for this that's pretty cool. Guess it "just happened" like Telltale and Gearbox's Borderlands. Proof that what sometimes may seem like a bad fit can work very nicely.

Things just happen man XD. Game design and concepts being birthed from that mentality isn't that far-fetched honestly :).

AsfaeksBR

Re-downloading P4G and, this time, will activate the Auto-Upload Save to Clouds, because I don't wanna be heartbroken again.

And downloading Monument Valley since it's free on Amazon APP Store.

Scythian

Re-downloading P4G and, this time, will activate the Auto-Upload Save to Clouds, because I don't wanna be heartbroken again.

I've given up on finishing P4G for some time now, the dungeons were a pain in the ass for me, and not fun after a while of running around and having to stressfully decide who to fuse and all that jazz. Been considering starting an easy playthrough just to experience the story, but been dreading to go through all the tutorial and first few dungeons all over again.

Got that 2 weeks ago for free at work, and my god this game. It's beautiful, but super short.

Started playing Prinny and it's pretty good so far! Can't see it not being worth 3€ haha

And like every time I try a new PSP game I'm amazed how good they look on the Vita. You can tell they're not native res, but other than that PSP games still look fantastic on the OLED. It's a shame there's a number of good ones that aren't on PSN.

Started playing Prinny and it's pretty good so far! Can't see it not being worth 3€ haha

And like every time I try a new PSP game I'm amazed how good they look on the Vita. You can tell they're not native res, but other than that PSP games still look fantastic on the OLED. It's a shame there's a number of good ones that aren't on PSN.

Prinny is a very solid action platformer. It feels a bit clunky before you get everything figured out, though. I could see some people playing for 20 minutes and uninstalling.

omg_mjd

Yeah Prinny is da bomb. Hardcore platforming goodness that squashes any notion of the game being a mere Disgaea spin-off. I hope Prinny 2 goes on sale in the US so I can get it as well.

When I first got my Vita and the games were lacking the PSP games saved the system for me. Games like The Third Birthday, P3P and Resistance gave me a lot to play while waiting for P4G to drop. And these days I play Gran Turismo, SFA3 Max and MHFU as much as my other recent Vita purchases.

Prinny is a very solid action platformer. It feels a bit clunky before you get everything figured out, though. I could see some people playing for 20 minutes and uninstalling.
My only issue is that you can't change direction mid-jump except with a double jump, but I'll get used to it.
When I first got my Vita and the games were lacking the PSP games saved the system for me. Games like The Third Birthday, P3P and Resistance gave me a lot to play while waiting for P4G to drop. And these days I play Gran Turismo, SFA3 Max and MHFU as much as my other recent Vita purchases.

I really regret not getting more into PSP games back in the day, I missed out on a lot. The Vita really helps with that though but as I said, there's a few I'll never get to play on it sadly. But I guess I'll just use PPSSPP for those.

Vylash

I really regret not getting more into PSP games back in the day, I missed out on a lot. The Vita really helps with that though but as I said, there's a few I'll never get to play on it sadly. But I guess I'll just use PPSSPP for those.

i used to be like this honestly, but after really looking over the psp library i can only find one good looking game that you can't play with the vita, a lot of the psp's library looks really mediocre

i used to be like this honestly, but after really looking over the psp library i can only find one good looking game that you can't play with the vita, a lot of the psp's library looks really mediocre
Yeah maybe you're right. There's just a few I'd like to try like Birth By Sleep and Popolocrois for example. Maybe they're not the best games ever, but I'm still curious.

Oh btw I bought Conception II, symbol-shaped pupils are my weakness
hmm I'm at this weird place in life where I think
maybe it's time I move on and sell my consoles
I did that back in the day, gave away my SNES (with tons of games) and sold my N64 (also tons of games)

Still regret it
I've been thinning out my classic library lately because I want to stop hoarding physical games so much, but I'd never get rid of everything again

wilflare

Yeah maybe you're right. There's just a few I'd like to try like Birth By Sleep and Popolocrois for example. Maybe they're not the best games ever, but I'm still curious.

I did that back in the day, gave away my SNES (with tons of games) and sold my N64 (also tons of games)

Still regret it
I've been thinning out my classic library lately because I want to stop hoarding physical games so much, but I'd never get rid of everything again

I'm trying to sell all my physical stuff.
and really just stick with digital... ignore all the CE/LE and stuff

omg_mjd

There's just a few I'd like to try like Birth By Sleep and Popolocrois for example. Maybe they're not the best games ever, but I'm still curious.

Off the top of my head the only PSP games missing from PSN that bother me are the Metal Gear Acids and Valkyria Chronicles 2 (and 3...if only).

That game really should've been a VN instead. I played both the Vita and 3DS demos and the dungeon parts were weak. If you end up liking it though make sure to let us know. I'll probably get the game at some point if only to give a vote of appreciation for its excellent localization.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

You can thank the 1 to 1 pixel mapping for that.

Off the top of my head the only PSP games missing from PSN that bother me are the Metal Gear Acids and Valkyria Chronicles 2 (and 3...if only).

That game really should've been a VN instead. I played both the Vita and 3DS demos and the dungeon parts were weak. If you end up liking it though make sure to let us know. I'll probably get the game at some point if only to give a vote of appreciation for its excellent localization.
VC2 is on PSN as I just bought it for 4€ :D It's on US PSN as well
I'd also add Valkyrie Profile Lenneth and the Star Oceans to my list. Square Enix needs to get more of thei PSP and PS2 stuff on PSN in general (Nier, VP2: Silmeria)
And people warned me about Conception II but curiosity got the better of me. It's just 12€, I spent more on worse.
You can thank the 1 to 1 pixel mapping for that.
Ah that makes sense. That' very smart design, kind of unexpected from the Vita haha

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
VC2 is on PSN as I just bought it for 4€ :D It's on US PSN as well
I'd also add Valkyrie Profile Lenneth and the Star Oceans to my list
And people warned me about Conception II but curiosity got the better of me. It's just 12€, I spent more on worse.

Ah that makes sense. That' very smart design, kind of unexpected from the Vita haha

Hardware wise the design is great. The rest of the decisions regarding the vita... Not so much.

Hardware wise the design is great. The rest of the decisions regarding the vita... Not so much.
I would have preferred less features for a smaller price (no back touchpad, no 2nd camera, no OLED, as great as it is), but in general I agree. Best dpad ever made <3

I got no PS3 to transfer it though :( In my dreams Sega announces a VC trilogy remaster for the Vita. Wouldn't that be something. :p

Ah I didn't know, you can DL it directly to Vita on EU PSN. Sony pls.
The VC port did amazingly well on Steam, I hope that means they see the potential the series still has!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Top Bottom