• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now Subscription Program: All The Details

Shady859

I've rented a game off the service and played a few during the beta. I would never sub and think honestly the real value here is in the pay as you go model how it is now.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Gamefly lets you rent games from a virtually infinite catalog, for any console for $15-23/month, no bandwidth necessary, no input lag or video compression artifacts.

How is $15-20/month a good deal for streaming a 100 PS3 games catalog? It's really not.

Still, not completely useless for some people I guess. Especially those who don't have PS3s anymore.

maybe at 100/year. maybe.

or if there was some kind of discount to ps+ members. I can't see myself spending 50 a year for ps+ and 20 dollars a month for this.

not to mention with sony's network getting hit all the time.

Synth

maybe at 100/year. maybe.

or if there was some kind of discount to ps+ members. I can't see myself spending 50 a year for ps+ and 20 dollars a month for this.

not to mention with sony's network getting hit all the time.

I think $100 a year has a decent probability of happening at some point. Companies are often willing to offer things a lot cheaper if the user is willing to lock themselves in for an extended duration.

To make the EA Access comparison again. It's $30 a year... or $5 a month. The yearly rate is half of the combined monthly rate. which for PS Now would put it pretty close to the $100 mark.

Sony can shove this straight up their asses. I need a I've year price then again I dn't see Vice City in that list. Good fit for everyone else , I guess.

I agree with others that while $20 seems high, it is really not too bad. I likely won't pay for it at this point, but, then again, I already played all of those games on my PS3. Imagine if you never had a PS3, though, and only had a 360. This is great way to play all of the games you missed last generation.

The catalog is pretty varied right now and is going to grow. There is Uncharted: DF, Bioshock: Inifinite, Batman: AC, NBA 2K14, R&C:ItN, Spelunky, The Last of Us, XCOM: Enemy Within, God of War: Ascension.... and more.

That being said, I think that a better pricing plan would be something along these lines:

$15/mo. for one month
$12/mo. for 3 months
$10/mo. for 6 months
$100/yr. (approximately $8/mo.)

Or, maybe do these types of reduced prices for PS Plus subscribers.

Honestly, while the pricing could be better, this is not a bad start.

MrBenchmark

Gamefly lets you rent games from a virtually infinite catalog, for any console for $15-23/month, no bandwidth necessary, no input lag or video compression artifacts.

How is $15-20/month a good deal for streaming a 100 PS3 games catalog? It's really not.

Still, not completely useless for some people I guess. Especially those who don't have PS3s anymore.

I agree with this. I would have been willing to pay Netflix prices 7.99 but not what they are charging. Thank god I have all my systems. I switched to gamefly and only buy titles that are worth keeping.

I really wanted this to be better tried it and even on a 100Mbps connection found it lacking.

Do you get Gamefly games instantly? Also, if you don't have a console does gamefly send you one so you can play the games?

Toki767

I agree with this. I would have been willing to pay Netflix prices 7.99 but not what they are charging. Thank god I have all my systems. I switched to gamefly and only buy titles that are worth keeping.

I really wanted this to be better tried it and even on a 100Mbps connection found it lacking.

To be fair, Netflix increased their pricing (only $1 though) so I wouldn't say Sony are horrendously overcharging so much as Netflix would start losing money with all the content they license if they didn't start charging more.

see5harp

If this was an MS thing people would be jerking off Phil Spencer talking about how much he listens to consumers and praising him for lowering the prices and changing things for the better.

This is the price point where the service becomes at least marketable. I don't think anyone on Neogaf has even mentioned the service since it went live so maybe this gets the ball rolling a bit. Not sure why you went with this statement to close your post though. This isn't even a Polygon or IGN article.

breakfuss

I know people don't like paying for more for things, but $10 is way too low. You are not downloading these games, you are streaming them. That alone costs money, you can't expect them to just absorb these cost because people are being cheap. What you get is convenience. You will be able to use this service on Ps3, Ps4, PsVita, some televisions, and I think some phones.
I for one will use this service, because I like to play old game that I might have missed. I'm just waiting until they get out of the beta phase, so I can start adding more games.

I'm a frugal gamer but I'm also reasonable. I'm just not seeing the value here. Sure you can use it on different devices but the catalog is still severely limited.

As for the cost of the technology? That isn't the consumer's concern. If it's not ready to bring to market at a competitive price so be it. Things like Netlfix and Spotify (both of which I subscribe to) rely on streaming, are cheaper with negligible degradation to the source and have a selection that blows this out of the water. I know the comparison isn't completely 1:1 but it's probably what the average person will think. I'm not saying PS Now will bomb, but they're limiting uptake with the price.

Precisely.

Roshin

I'll be disappointed if there's no option to permanently buy individual titles, but I don't expect there will be. There's obviously more money to be had from renting/subscribing.

I guess I'll have to choose between PS+ and this, because I'm not going to pay for both. When they add PS1 and PS2 titles to this, PS+ is going to look like the (much) weaker option for me.

Kodros

For who this service is for, $15-$20 is a great price. If you are happy with $15 Gamefly sub, then awesome, use that. If you are happy with buying used PS3 games for cheaper then this rental, great, enjoy. If you tried game streaming and it was bad, that's shitty but it works great for others. If you are bummed that there is no $2 discount per month because your a PS+ user, too bad, it's a different service. If you are not subscribing because of $2, you weren't going to anyways.

MrMephistoX

This is the price point where the service becomes at least marketable. I don't think anyone on Neogaf has even mentioned the service since it went live so maybe this gets the ball rolling a bit. Not sure why you went with this statement to close your post though. This isn't even a Polygon or IGN article.

The $15 a month for 3 months subscription is a great value compared to Netflix since we're talking about passive games although I hope they introduce a yearly option for additional savings.

$20 a month is still a great value but if you're comparing apples to oranges (which most consumers will undoubtedly do) it seems a little steep.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What devices can receive this? And what is the quality like?

RK128

Did they say if the subscription covers PS Now on the Vita and PS3? If so, I might just check out that week trial to see how a few of the games on the service handle on my Vita :D.

Sonic Generations on the go? Who can pass THAT up man XD! Sonic CD and many other great games? Even better :D!

Finally, Sony is being smart about this service :'); it does work, all it needed was a subscription model that was fair. And with 20 bucks for a month or 15 bucks per month (in the 3-Month pack), it seems they hit jack pot with this deal :).

All it needs now is PS1 and PS2 games that currently are missing on PSN and then the service can really kick off then :D.

Edit: Regarding how to make this more appealing to PS+ subscribers....maybe they can offer them a one-month trail every few months (instead of a retail PS4 games?). That way people can test the service out and PS+ owners can be happy with getting retail games (as they always complain about the indie games that land on Plus :l).

KZObsessed

$15 a month is a good deal, not expecting the UK price to be as good...

And they need more than a 100 games. Personally I'd love to be able to stream PSP,PS2 and VITA games on my PS4.

see5harp

The $15 a month for 3 months subscription is a great value compared to Netflix since we're talking about passive games although I hope they introduce a yearly option for additional savings.

$20 a month is still a great value but if you're comparing apples to oranges (which most consumers will undoubtedly do) it seems a little steep.

I guess it's a good value for a non gamer. For me, it's not nearly as useful as a Netlfix or Gamefly account though. I spend $35 a month for gamefly and it's still a much better use of my money. I can rent games for any system. If you still own a PS3, I see little reason to even consider paying $20 for this service.

Mikey Jr.

Did they say if the subscription covers PS Now on the Vita and PS3? If so, I might just check out that week trial to see how a few of the games on the service handle on my Vita :D.

Sonic Generations on the go? Who can pass THAT up man XD! Sonic CD and many other great games? Even better :D!

Finally, Sony is being smart about this service :'); it does work, all it needed was a subscription model that was fair. And with 20 bucks for a month or 15 bucks per month (in the 3-Month pack), it seems they hit jack pot with this deal :).

All it needs now is PS1 and PS2 games that currently are missing on PSN and then the service can really kick off then :D.

If you have a PS Now sub, it covers you on absolutely every device that supports PS Now.

Like Netflix.

Koobion

Great to see Sony pricing this properly. This would be incredible for somebody who has a PS4 but never owned a PS3 - which seems to be a sizable number at a glance.

AzaK

$20 a month too much for someone like me with a job and family. I'd get through one game if I'm lucky in that time. Wouldn't mind a cheaper 'max X games per month' option.

All moot though as its not in my country yet. If it comes and has ps2 and 1 games, that'd tempt me more.

RK128

Oh god, no. That game had enough lag on PS3. At least the demo did.

Well, the week trail is free, so it wouldn't hurt to try it :)? I played Ratchet FFA with PS Now and it was a very smooth experience (the game had 30FPS with a few drops), so a game like Generations should play well on PS Now.

I'm a frugal gamer but I'm also reasonable. I'm just not seeing the value here. Sure you can use it on different devices but the catalog is still severely limited.

As for the cost of the technology? That isn't the consumer's concern. If it's not ready to bring to market at competitive price so be it. Things like Netlfix and Spotify (both of which I subscribe to) rely on streaming, are cheaper with negligible degradation to the source and have a selection that blows this out of the water. I know the comparison isn't completely 1:1 but it's probably what the average person will think. I'm not saying PS Now will bomb, but they're limiting uptake with the price.

You are right that the comparison you made doesn't work out too well. I'd like to think that the average person would understand the differences of streaming a game in comparison to music or movies.
Also, how is the cost of technology not the consumer's concern? If they want to use the service they should be able to stomach the cost. I'm not entirely sure but couldn't you compare this to paying for Ps+ or Live to play online? Sure they can probably eat the cost of allowing it free, but at the same time why should they?
In the end I can understand why this would not be worth it for some. The only thing that is keeping me from subscribing is the fact that it doesn't have any games that want. I imagine that will change when they increase their library. Until, that happens I'll probably just do individual rentals.

Way WAY to expensive for me.

No way in hell I could afford that, if it was something like Netflix, I could easy pay for it.

You'd think PS+ members would get a discount.

Windforce

This is awesome!

Not all games I want to buy, rentals are perfect for grabbing some easy Platinums. Besides, digital rentals give people outside of countries like USA a chance to actually rent games (stores like Gamefly aren't a reality in most of the world).

gg Sony

For context, OnLive's subscription is $10/month. Still, I can see the potential value in a $15/month sub, once the games availability fills out a bit a more classic last-gen games.

Halabane

Never knew someone may find a different streaming service overpriced. Thank you for the info. But upon careful reflection, I still find these prices too high for the ability to stream outdated PS3 games on my PS4. I'll stick with my PS4 games for now.

Sony has said that many ps4 owners did not own a ps3. So this is for people who are new to gaming. Ok. Welcome new people. Enjoy the ps3.

I own the games already that I would want to play so its pretty useless. But if you don't own a ps3 or can't get one cheap (and buy lots of these games for 10 bucks) I guess this is okay but seems pricey to me for what you get. Why not just use the money to buy ps4 games, ps+ free games or games on psn? Guessing it also means you are going to stop buying PS4 games because you want to make use of your subscription? Or does this end up like gamefly or WoW and you keep paying the subscription because you forget to cancel?

I hope you don't have a data cap on your internet service or that they throttle you because you have now become a high user. For some of you it may be prudent to cheap with mom and dad...or your roomates.

But then again maybe I should be worried. Does this mean they will shutdown my ps3 psn games if they start offering them here? Probably going to happen some time.

Sure, but you're forgoing ownership/resale rights and banking on your ISP/Sony servers to constantly be in service to play your games.

and? all tech improve over time, and all tech start somewhere. ownership? wth are you talking about? it's a streaming service. you wanna own the game? you can do that. buy a ps3 game from bestbuy and play it on your ps3.

M°°nblade;146098876 said:
I bought a €600 BC PS3, and I played dozens of PS2 games on it until it broke.

and how many bc ps3s are out there compared to non-bc ones? oh you bought one, therefore people gave a shit? don't give me that bullcrap. the overwhelming majority of people didn't give a shit and that is why the great bc ps3 launched in last place.

Leb

Nice, ~$200/yr to play further compromised versions of games on ~10 year old hardware, and even then only a very small selection of games with the first party heavyweights notably absent. I mean, I get that I'm not the target demo by any means, but this seems like the worst possible introduction to games as a service.

It's a pity they didn't go with some kind of a la carte subscription/pricing model.

Nameless

For $15 month , the price I pay to barely watch Netflix & Hulu, I'll definitely take a flyer on this for three months, gauge my usage and Sony's support of the service, and go from there. As a 360 only owner last gen I already see well over a dozen games I'd want to play, plus some multiplats I missed.

meanspartan

Make it $10 a month for people already paying for Plus and you'd have a deal Sony.

This was better pricing than I expected, but still a tad too high since I already pay $50 a year for plus.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
well, I am sure they could get a Billion people using it if it was free... but games are expensive, and this is only $3 more expensive than Netflix HD, while games are actually a lot more expensive to both own and to stream than movies... a lot more expensive.

So if people rave about Netflix HD for $12, then PSNow for $15 is great steal.
I never suggested free, you're not going to invalidate the point by taking it to the extreme with a strawman.

You're also exaggerating the price differential here between pricing for games and movies. Considering that first run movies are 1 sale/person whereas a first run game can be sold as 1 copy for multiple people in a household; for a household of 4 to see a first run movie vs. playing a first run game isn't really all that different in pricing at all. If we're not talking first run, then there's all kinds of deals, sales, promotions and so forth that completely muddy the waters in terms of pricing on both sides, so its hardly as cut and dry as you try to make it.

And I didn't even say that $15/mo or $20/mo were bad in the first place. I just don't think they're necessarily the sweet spot for this kind of service.

Top Bottom