• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now Subscription Program: All The Details

$15 a month is a pretty damn good deal for all that content.

Pretty sure I paid the same for Sega Channel subscription back in the day, and that was what, 30 games a month?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
For me the appeal of this service is very different to most. For me, I'm ridiculously excited for PS Now mostly for the fact I can play portable PS3 games. My Vita will become a portable PS3 with access to hundreds of games. Games I've played before and would love portable versions of. And games I never got around to playing but really want to play. Plus there's the general benefit of playing things I never would have before, possibly leading to sleeper hits similar to what PS Plus does. But overall the main appeal to me is giving me a portable PS3 with instant access to a super large library, with potential for also becoming a portable PS2 later on. If this service wasn't on Vita I'd be interested, but definitely wouldn't be thi excited for it and probably wouldn't pay what they're asking.

The price isn't where they need to be by any shot.

Whether Sony like it or not, they're competing with the likes of Amazon Instant and Netflix. There are only so many hours in any given month to consume content, and at £6 a month, Netflix will be getting my non-PS4 time.

I didn't realize Amazon and Netflix offered video games. Mind linking to that?

Maxim726X

Almost at that sweet spot for price, IMO. 60-80/year is fair, not sure they're going to get a lot of people to bite at the current price.

CERTAINLY much better than their current price structure, that's for sure.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Eh it's a couple drinks in the city. 15.00 ain't bad at all.

I could see using this for slow months in gaming.

Given most are already paying for Plus, this should have been no more than $10 a month. Remember, it's for old games. Old games the majority are realistically not all that interested in playing. Anyone who owned/owns a PS1/2/3 already bought and played or own and play the old games they want to play. Given that most people buy new consoles to play new games, they're not going to pay a premium on top of Plus to now play an old limited selection of games when they're already being sold backwards compatibility through a plethora of remasters that this generation has already brought and will continue to bring.

If you're going to be playing enough PS3 games to make this service worthwhile, you probably shouldn't have bothered with a PS4 and just kept your 3.

system11

Honestly I hope it doesn't take off - streamed gameplay without a latency overhead is a pipedream and if this is successful commercially it just damages gaming in the long run.

Given most are already paying for Plus, this should have been no more than $10 a month. Remember, it's for old games. Old games the majority are realistically not all that interested in playing. Anyone who owned/owns a PS1/2/3 already bought and played or own and play the old games they want to play. Given that most people buy new consoles to play new games, they're not going to pay a premium on top of Plus to now play an old limited selection of games when they're already being sold backwards compatibility through a plethora of remasters that this generation has already brought and will continue to bring.

Well see thats the thing, not everyone owned a PS1/PS2 or PS3. You're not forced to buy those remasters either. BC isn't a thing because people aren't willng to pay the extra money to get it in the system (or at least the majority don't).

I don't get why people continue to think that BC is some swtich they can turn on and off.

Kayant

So is this why gaf was down? :p... It's a bit pricey but all things considered it seems like a reasonable and fair price for what is being offered.

- Unlimited access to titles(Growing)
- Variety of platforms

It's clear they are not pricing it that low because obviously they want to make a profit and the running of the servers aren't cheap(See onlive before it died and came back). Onlive's pricing is $10 for a similar netflix like service so it's somewhat in line with that. What they need now is a discount PS+ members.

I'll definitely try the 1-month subscription during the Summer. The are a few PS3 games I would like to try out and for $20 is a steal if I can finish them in a month.

Toki767

$180 dollars a year is way too much. However, this all boils down to what games are available...does anyone have a list?

Current Subscription List
Alpha Protocol
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Batman Arkham City
Ben 10 Omniverse
Ben 10 Omniverse 2
Bioshock Infinite
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
Bound by Flame
Chime Super Deluxe
Contrast
Crazy Taxi
Critter Crunch
Cuboid Ultimate Bundle
Darksiders
Darksiders II
de Blob 2
Dead Island
Dead Island Riptide
Dead or Alive 5
DiRT 3
Dirt Showdown
Dynasty Warriors 7
Earth Defense Force 2025
echochrome
El Shaddai ASCENSION OF THE METATRON
ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West
F1 2013
Final Fantasy XIII
God of War HD
God of War: Ascension
Grid 2
Grid Autosport
Guacamelee!
Hakuoki Stories of the Shinsengumi
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
ICO
inFAMOUS
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
Killzone 3
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
LocoRoco Cocoreccho!
LUMINES Supernova
Madagascar 3: The Video Game
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Moto GP 13
MotorStorm Apocalypse
MX vs ATV: Reflex
Nascar ’14
NBA 2K14
Nights Into Dreams
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Overlord 2
Overlord: Raising Hell
PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX
Papo & Yo
Piyotama
Planet Minigolf
Port Royal 3: Gold
Pure Chess
Rainbow Moon
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
Record of Agarest War
Red Faction :Guerilla
Renegade Ops
Resident Evil 5 Gold
Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
Saints Row 2
Saints Row IV
Saints Row: The Third The Full Package
Shadow of the Colossus
Shatter
Siren: Blood Curse Episodes 1-12
Skullgirls Encore
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Sniper Elite V2
Soldner – X: Final Prototype
Sonic CD
Sonic Generations
Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode I
Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode II
Spelunky
Super Street Fighter IV
Tales from Space: About a Blob
The King of Fighters XIII
The Last Of Us
The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief
The Sly Collection
The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season
Tokyo Jungle
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Vessel
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Warhawk
XCOM: Enemy Within
Zen Pinball 2: Zen Pinball Classics

Krakn3Dfx

The more they add to the library, the more appealing this will be. I have a PS3 and pretty much all the games I like on it, but if they start piling in classic PS1/2 harder to get titles down the line, I'm in for sure.

epmode

Lower resolution games from ps1 and ps2 would probably have even less lag.

Latency doesn't really work that way. Doesn't matter how simple the image is, it still takes time for the video to be transmitted to the enduser and more time for the enduser's input to be transmitted back to the server.

Streaming videogames is kind of an awful idea. I don't mind leaving it as an option for people who don't care about latency or game ownership but I'm worried about what could happen if it takes off.

Concept17

Have fun paying $180 per year to rent old games. Once your subscription ends, then what? What happens to all of your saves? This is why I'm against an all digital future.

"Save your game indefinitely on our cloud servers and resume your progress on any PlayStation™Now enabled device."

Says right there on the website. Not only does it store it in the cloud, but you can swap devices at any time.

cakely

The price seems ... reasonable.

Clearly GAF is not the target market (I assume people here had a chance to play those games on a PS3), but is anyone here going to subscribe to the service?

I suppose its quite good for those that skipped the ps3, but it;s a bit much if you just want to replay games. Now if it added trophies to ps2 and ps1 games... Now we're cooking.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Current Subscription List
Alpha Protocol
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Batman Arkham City
Ben 10 Omniverse
Ben 10 Omniverse 2
Bioshock Infinite
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
Bound by Flame
Chime Super Deluxe
Contrast
Crazy Taxi
Critter Crunch
Cuboid Ultimate Bundle
Darksiders
Darksiders II
de Blob 2
Dead Island
Dead Island Riptide
Dead or Alive 5
DiRT 3
Dirt Showdown
Dynasty Warriors 7
Earth Defense Force 2025
echochrome
El Shaddai ASCENSION OF THE METATRON
ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West
F1 2013
Final Fantasy XIII
God of War HD
God of War: Ascension
Grid 2
Grid Autosport
Guacamelee!
Hakuoki Stories of the Shinsengumi
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
ICO
inFAMOUS
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
Killzone 3
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
LocoRoco Cocoreccho!
LUMINES Supernova
Madagascar 3: The Video Game
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Moto GP 13
MotorStorm Apocalypse
MX vs ATV: Reflex
Nascar ’14
NBA 2K14
Nights Into Dreams
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Overlord 2
Overlord: Raising Hell
PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX
Papo & Yo
Piyotama
Planet Minigolf
Port Royal 3: Gold
Pure Chess
Rainbow Moon
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
Record of Agarest War
Red Faction :Guerilla
Renegade Ops
Resident Evil 5 Gold
Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
Saints Row 2
Saints Row IV
Saints Row: The Third The Full Package
Shadow of the Colossus
Shatter
Siren: Blood Curse Episodes 1-12
Skullgirls Encore
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Sniper Elite V2
Soldner – X: Final Prototype
Sonic CD
Sonic Generations
Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode I
Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode II
Spelunky
Super Street Fighter IV
Tales from Space: About a Blob
The King of Fighters XIII
The Last Of Us
The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief
The Sly Collection
The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season
Tokyo Jungle
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Vessel
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Warhawk
XCOM: Enemy Within
Zen Pinball 2: Zen Pinball Classics
Where did you get this list from and why the fuck isn't Catherine on it?

Duxxy3

If it was unlimited access to download those games as much as I want, that would be a great price. But streaming games.... nah. Not dealing with the persistent connection or latency. Might be a good fit for japan though, or any country that gives a shit about network infrastructure.

Auron

This is actually really nice. My PS3 died so this is my way of playing some of those titles. Just wish there was a option to "buy" a game so I keep it.

Shadow of the Colossus is my favorite game of all-time - I see it in the image but not the list.

Toki767

Where did you get this list from and why the fuck isn't Catherine on it?

From the Community forums here

As expected, lots of titles won't be part of the Subscription and are only available through rental.

Though strangely, some titles are only part of the Subscription and not available through rental.

boingball

The price is actually better than I expected. Though if Sony really wants to make this a hit they probably need to lower the price even further.

The target audience for Now is not your normal gamer. Those will always have a problem seeing the value in this service. But if you can get on your Bravia or Samsung TV Netflix for 10 bucks to watch movies and PS Now for 10 bucks to play some games this might be a viable value proposition. Having said that, most people use their phones for gaming and there might be only a niche market for a gaming streaming service.

Still, I think it makes sense for Sony to see whether there is a Netflix type market for gaming out there. If there is and Sony grabs it it would be a big win.

If that's actually the subscription list I take back my comments. That's pretty good value. I saw another list that was extremely garbagy.

LakeEarth

I think it's a fine price for what you get out of it. I won't be subscribing as I already have an insurmountable backlog, but if I was 15 again I'd probably love it.

Concept17

There are about 10 games on the list I would like to play.

May wait for more. We'll see. I think it's a pretty fair price point.

Synth

People wanted an affordable subscription and this is as close as we'll get for PS now. This will hurt gamefly and imo it's also a better value than EA access hands down. My only wish would be a $100 per year option but I'd guess that's too much of a hit to Sony's bottom line so I will support this sub to this service and for anyone who has more than one PS device the value is terrific to use the sub across multiple devices so since I own 3 devices for me it's a no brainer.

The two aren't really directly comparable, but I definitely don't see it as being better value than EA Access currently. At $30 a year, you can barely buy one of the games in the vault, and the game itself isn't compromised in anyway compared to a purchased version (no lag, secondary roaming license etc).

At what currently works out as $180 a year, for games that can be found for almost nothing, you'd need to play quite a lot of last gen games (and quickly) for it make as much sense.

Now, if EA Access remains worthwhile going into a second year is a different matter an depends on what gets added to the vault over time (they've done a decent job so far).. that obviously goes for PS Now too though.

If you're going to be playing enough PS3 games to make this service worthwhile, you probably shouldn't have bothered with a PS4 and just kept your 3.

I know people don't like paying for more for things, but $10 is way too low. You are not downloading these games, you are streaming them. That alone costs money, you can't expect them to just absorb these cost because people are being cheap. What you get is convenience. You will be able to use this service on Ps3, Ps4, PsVita, some televisions, and I think some phones.
I for one will use this service, because I like to play old game that I might have missed. I'm just waiting until they get out of the beta phase, so I can start adding more games.

NickFire

you realize this argument can be used for any streaming service, right? Even netflix at $120 a year can be "too high" for old and outdated movies and shows if you aren't going to watch them.

Never knew someone may find a different streaming service overpriced. Thank you for the info. But upon careful reflection, I still find these prices too high for the ability to stream outdated PS3 games on my PS4. I'll stick with my PS4 games for now.

Sydle

That's an attractive price point. I played everything I wanted on PS3, but I'll definitely be down for this when it starts getting PS4 games.

I'd be up for that if the prices were also that reasonable in £.

Also, they need to add more games each month.

They have added a few games a week over the past couple months so it should slowly grow. It started at 100 in August and now it is close to 200.

EDIT:
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Now/PlayStation-Now-Title-List/td-p/44466574

Looking here, it looks like some games will not be a part of the Sub plan as of now (Guessing it is a contractual thing) Will be interesting to see how this evolves and if it causes any confusion on which games are part of the subscription plan vs. single rental options.

Weird how some of you accept that as normal when all my consoles from the famicom onwards (up to PS2) work perfectly fine still, after all these years (decades).

We never should've settled for this low level of quality, but here we are and what's done is done.

Yeah, they don't make them like they used to. My SNES and older consoles still run perfectly.. My PS2 and now my PS3 have been relegated to show pieces.

Top Bottom