• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

Do we still have no idea when the Pokémon Go Plus comes out? I've got one preordered, but they really should have had it out before the game launched. It can be dangerous walking around while staring at your phone.

Fink

I'm a bit confused how some things work. Like if I see leaves appearing somewhere on the map, does that mean I can go there to get Pokemon? Because I have walked to them and got nothing. Though I've been having server issues so maybe that's a part of it.

Also when throwing Pokeballs, does the pulsing green circle dictate anything?

kubus

Same here, I couldn't click any of the landmarks, closed the app and reopened, and it popped up saying server issues. Oh well, guess I have to get some work done.
Yeah my game crashed when I caught a pokemon. Figures.

This sucks tho, the servers went down the second I started my commute to work this morning, and now they're down again as I walk back home. I have a gym to reclaim! :<

PMS341

Wish there was a way to spoof the GPS into thinking i'm walking around my workplace all day. :p Sitting here for 10 hours won't hatch those eggs!

MicH

Installed this and went for a walk. I live in the outskirts of a suburban city near Copenhagen. I have a gym very close to my apartment that was just claimed by a guy with a Pidgeotto - really cool. My nearest PokeSrop is quite far away, though with no other stops in sight.

Caught a few Pokemon, mostly Rattatas, Pudgeys, Weedles and Catetpies. I did find a Venonat too and there are supposedly Drowzee, Krabby and Koffing near me.

The coolest bit was when I went near this tiny lake and found a Goldeen - and a Squirtle! Unfortunately, it popped out I'd my Pokeball TWICE and ran away :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
there is no way to get new moves right?

also, are there any benefits waiting to evolve?
Dunno about waiting to evolve. No way to acquire new moves I don't think, but different caught pokemon of the same kind can have different attacks, in both slots:
5GglKHi.png
Ra4kXmu.png
These attacks can also have different types and be different from the Pokemon's type, so it is worth checking.
App still needs to be open to vibrate though right?
Definitely
If you turn your phone upside down it will dim the screen. This allows you to walk like a normal person and not have to look at your screen. If you have the vibration setting on, then the phone will vibrate to let you know you've encountered a Pokemon.

To me, battery saver is a must so you're not walking around, staring at your phone.
What do you mean by "upside down" in this case? This seems like something I'll want to use

Choomp

Banned
This is fun. I really like all the PokeStops, for some reason I thought it was really cool when I saw a picture of a local park in this game. I can see this getting old quick though

I'm a bit confused how some things work. Like if I see leaves appearing somewhere on the map, does that mean I can go there to get Pokemon? Because I have walked to them and got nothing. Though I've been having server issues so maybe that's a part of it.

I'm curious about this too.

Kinokou

Caved and installed it Android style. The GPS had some trouble, especially with the only, and surprising, pokestop close to me. I spent a good five-ten minutts circling it before it registered me as close, and it would sometimes place me in an entirely different location.

I was going to try finding out where this other location was since I actually caught a pokemon while it happened, but now when I got home again the app asked me to create an account again. I gave it a try and turns down the servers went down, I hope or I'll never find out!

The most unique Pokemon I've found so far is a Gastly last night at a cemetary when driving by.

I'm also being told Pikachu are rare? I was given the option for one as a starter last night along with the 3 Kanto starters, I'm not crazy for not choosing it right? This is also assuming I wasn't just seeing things.

Arrrammis

The leaves flying up in the air is supposed to show that there is a pokemon there, but so far I haven't noticed that. Pokemon seem to pop up everywhere, leaves or not.

The smaller the green circle is, the more likely that you'll catch the pokemon. The colors show the difficulty of the catch: green means super easy, you can basically catch the pokemon regardless of the size of the circle. Yellow means difficult, you'll have to have a fairly small circle to get a catch, and red means hard, so you'll pretty much need a minimal circle to catch your target.

Iceman829

It could be server issues. Sometimes they show up and other times nothing. The servers have been having issues everywhere. Try restarting the app every once in awhile if things are buggy.

This website is a nice help for people just starting out: http://mylifeasjoekim.tumblr.com/post/146990537154/new-pokemon-go-trainers

Are there any tricks to catching Pokemon?

Yes! If you hold the poke-ball, you&#8217;ll notice the Pokemon has a green(easiest) or yellow or orange or red (hardest) circle around them that cycles from large to small. The smaller the circle, the better your chances of catching the Pokemon.

You can also continually swirl the ball to create a curve throw in the direction that you&#8217;re rotating. So if you&#8217;re rotating clockwise, the ball will curve right.

Accuracy is also a factor! You&#8217;ll notice if the poke-ball lands directly, you&#8217;ll get &#8220;nice&#8221; &#8220;great&#8221; or &#8220;excellent&#8221; experience bonuses

There are also Razberries from Poke-Stops that you can feed to a Pokemon to increase your catching chance on your next throw! It says next throw, but what it really means is the next time you hit the Pokemon with a poke-ball!

Besides Pokeballs, there are Great Balls and Ultra Balls confirmed in the game to catch even stronger pokemon!

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
There's about a billion PokeStops around my university but I haven't left my room in over a day because of exams, and it's so hot outside I'm NOT stepping out just to get some fucking Pokemon.

I'm NOT.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
so it's seemingly like rarity isn't THAT special of an attribute.

sure you may find different mons in different inneighborhoods, but it's not like i have to go to a specific national park in my country to obtain a tauros exclusively for example.

Dartastic

Lol, the phone charger at my desk is dying, perhaps this is planned obsolescence.

Damn I want a Paras, nice catch.

Errr, yes to both? Can you explain what you mean
Does it provide notifications if there's a pokemon in the area, or do you have to be constantly running it? Sorry, I've slept really poorly and I'm not making sense right now.

Arrrammis

Does it provide notifications if there's a pokemon in the area, or do you have to be constantly running it? Sorry, I've slept really poorly and I'm not making sense right now.

There aren't any notifications, you have to have the app running and your phone unlocked in order to find pokemon while you're walking around.

wwm0nkey

Servers went down right as I was about to take a gym and gave the opponent the 1hp glitch....my ratacide better be alive...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
If I leave a Pokémon at a gym and it gets defeated, do I get it back? Or does it disappear into the nothingness from whence it came?

kubus

If I leave a Pokémon at a gym and it gets defeated, do I get it back? Or does it disappear into the nothingness from whence it came?
It gets returned to your inventory

Open open or open and then let my screen go off?
You need to have the app open. Running it in the background doesn't count. You could turn on battery saver though and if you put your phone in your pocket (it has to be upside down vertically) the screen turns off but the app is still running and will also still notify you of new pokemon and stuff

Iceman829

Once the gym is defeated the pokemon you had there is returned. You may need to use a revive and potions on it to fully restore its health. Also, don't forget to collect you rewards once every 21 hrs when you have a pokemon defending a gym

aett

I've kinda been able to get into the game, but it makes me enter my google login every time and my character is standing in the middle of an apparent ocean because the GPS isn't working.

Teknoman

I think new moves are automatically switched out on your pokemon as you power it up, but it seems like themoves they learn are not the same, i.e. I've had two zubats at the same level that know different moves.

I personally try to fully power up a pokemon before I evolve it, but it looks like when you evolve a pokemon, then it keeps the progress on the power up meter, which is good because it looks like evolutions cost more to power up than the base form (zubat cost 800 star things and one candy to power up in the end, Golbat cost 1200 star things and one candy to power up at the same level).

So then it's best to get as much cp before evolving?

Top Bottom