• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Go - Halloween Event

Syntsui

Wow... what a sad event this is. Niantic is dropping the ball hard with the support in this game, so many good opportunities being totally ignored.

#FreeCharizard

Still want that Pokemon and then I'll quit due to the stupid 10 gyms everywhere

I'm really surprised they didn't sell eggs at $2,$5 and $10 when the game released, they would have made so much bank

MrCow

how hard would it be to fix the spawing?! how come you get to catch pokemon in a dense and large city but few or none when out in a small city or even .. hm i don't know OUTDOORS?! the place where you would actually go for a walk?

guess where i live..

Hycran

Banned
As long as the Charmander nest I want to go to doesn't change I'm cautiously optimistic. Hope this will help people get some rare pkmn they might not otherwise be able to get.

georly

Even more Zubat and Drowzee? Ugh

Can Drowzee get more common?

I've caught maybe 12 zubats ever and 0 drowzee (got one in an egg). They are not where I live at all. This is good news for me, as none of these pokemon are common for me.

Was planning on retiring pokemon go walks for the year til weather got warm again, but maybe not (I'd still play in the car while parked/passenger)!

Zubats are an infestation where I live. However, more Gastlys, Haunters & Gengars are very much welcomed. Might actually replay the app.

I've played for three months. I've caught 1459 Pokemon. Of those, ONE is a Charmander. Meanwhile I've seen 105 Drowzees (not counting many many more I'm just ignoring), 67 Gastly and 46 Zubat. Now that I have a Gengar, all of these are on my ignore list.

I'd welcome a fire themed event since those just don't spawn up here.

CassSept

This app is such a fucking disappointment. Should have started adding other generations already months ago. Instead we get a Halloween event for a couple of Pokemon, that whoever is still playing, probably has them already.

The game had been grossly mishandled but holy internet hyperbole Batman. The app had been released in first countries 3.5 months ago, you think they should have started adding new generations before launch or what?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I've played for three months. I've caught 1459 Pokemon. Of those, ONE is a Charmander. Meanwhile I've seen 105 Drowzees (not counting many many more I'm just ignoring), 67 Gastly and 46 Zubat. Now that I have a Gengar, all of these are on my ignore list.

I'd welcome a fire themed event since those just don't spawn up here.

I'm well into the 6000s and have encountered 3 Charmander. One was my starter and one was from a 2k egg.

Zubat? Ugh, the damn thing is the hardest pokemon to catch lol.

Also nice with Gastly i am missing the last evolution. Should have Abra and its evolution.

Piers

Drowsee doesn't even have much association with Halloween and yet its still involved.
Either they're totally tone-deaf or they doing this for giggles.

I think the reactions show that the regional differences, while cool in theory, are a problem without trading. I mean, everyone gets the same caterpies and spearows every day, fine. But when there are loads of fairly common Pokemon that haven't been seen after three months, the distribution is wrong.

It does make job trips to the big city more interesting, but if I hadn't had that option, I wouldn't have 10-20 Pokemon at all.

v1lla21

Do they move the pokemon around? My house used to be a hotspot and I'd get all sorts of em but now it's extremely rare when a pokemon pops up? Fuck more zubats though. Lol.

The game had been grossly mishandled but holy internet hyperbole Batman. The app had been released in first countries 3.5 months ago, you think they should have started adding new generations before launch or what?
When your app is as shallow as it is, you need to do something other than these extremely minor updates. It's clear this game doesn't have the legs that maybe was thought it had. I don't expect to see new Pokemon so early, but something substantial should have already came to the app but all we have is partner Pokemon to grind candy. It's clear the game doesn't have enough to offer and one thing that makes Pokemon exciting, is new Pokemon, and trading Pokemon. But wait both of those things don't even appear to be coming.

Mik2121

I can't believe the games been out what, 3, 4 months? now and they haven't even added at least gen 2 pokemon.

I think Gen 2 can wait until December or January. I also don't think that's the actual problem, but the fact that there's almost nothing to do in the game, and for the main point of the thing being getting some exercise, the distance tracker doesn't always work properly, the pokemon tracker is worthless, and if you are riding a bicycle it renders the whole thing meaningless since the top speed is so low.

Personally, make it so that you can at least ride a bicycle and give me a few extra things to do, and I would think about going back to the game. As it is right now though, yeah... the fact that it's been 3 months and there's no major update for a game where they've racked up so much money makes you wonder what the support will be when things calm down more.

Razmos

Daily quests, better rewards for holding gyms, special events every couple of weeks "For this week only, spawn rates of Dratini are increased, and stardust rates are doubled!"

Those minor things would have at least give us something to do and make it feel like a real game and not just a shitty nostalgia simulator. If they had added stuff like that I would forgive then not introducing Gen 2 yet, but there is absolutely nothing. Most updates now revolve around the Plus accessory and nothing else.

It was obvious how shallow it was from the very beginning but I at least thought that after a few months there would be something built upon the base game. Are there like 3 people managing this entire game?

aett

I've never seen a Drowzee/Hypno and I've been playing daily since launch, and I've caught maybe one Ghastly in all that time as well. This will be nice to finally fill out my 'dex some more.

Two of my coworkers still play, but we primarily use the game as an excuse to go on two or three 15 minute walks each day. We hatch eggs and hit up four PokeStops along our route. I really hope that the candy you get from eggs is at least doubled, as well.

_machine

When your app is as shallow as it is, you need to do something other than these extremely minor updates. It's clear this game doesn't have the legs that maybe was thought it had. I don't expect to see new Pokemon so early, but something substantial should have already came to the app but all we have is partner Pokemon to grind candy. It's clear the game doesn't have enough to offer and one thing that makes Pokemon exciting, is new Pokemon, and trading Pokemon. But wait both of those things don't even appear to be coming.
Quoting myself from the first page:
I think you are all very misguided by your prejudices; Pokemon GO is still higher retention rates than many of the other market leaders: http://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/64154/pokemon-go-retention-on-par-with-clash-of-clans/. It's simply following the mobile game retention standards while the scale is so much higher than anything else, making "millions churned players" seem like a big deal. It's market maturation has already very much proven a long term viability and it will easily be a +$1 billion revenue giant. Not that I particularly enjoy the game myself these days, but generally people's conceptions of the mobile game market here don't match the reality at all.
It's absolutely clear that the game shows inherent long legs when it can rival games with some of the best retention numbers across all gaming platforms.

i have never once seen a drowzee anywhere in japan but when i visited the UK a couple months ago there were so many i got an evolved hypno in days.

distribution is weird. hopefully this gets me a gengar at least!

Double candy yields? Nice.

More Zubat and Drowzee? Not so nice.

Maybe when Gen 2 is released, we'll get more Umbreon and Houndour spawns instead. Now that'll be worth going out into the cold, Canadian autumn rain for.

Neiteio

This would be so much cooler if the other six gens were present. Then there would be tons of interesting Ghost-types (and Dark-types) to catch!

how hard would it be to fix the spawing?! how come you get to catch pokemon in a dense and large city but few or none when out in a small city or even .. hm i don't know OUTDOORS?! the place where you would actually go for a walk?

guess where i live..

I know the feel just came back from a visit to see my family for two weeks for my birthday in a way more populated busy city with TONS to catch every time I went outside. Now i'm back home where outside of wifi in our house my phone gets no internet in this backwoods village and you'd be lucky to catch much anyways so i'm totally boned here.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm still fiending for them to implement trading. It's taking forever.

I'm going to reap the rewards of the double candy though, love evening walks listening to audiobooks and catching some 'mons.

AdanVC

Aw yiss. Finally something good, Niantic! Drowzees are rare AF on my city as well as Gastly, Haunter and of course Gengar so this is pretty damn cool!

And fastpokemap is operating as well. Perfect timing!

Flux

Good. I only played for a week or so. But downtown Toronto almost exclusively was Drowsee with occasional Zubats.

The list of increased spawns just shows how little thought went into the event. Niantic already knows there are significant parts of the world where Drowzees are super common; they came up with the spawn formulas themselves! So why create an event where the most common pokemon just spawn in even greater numbers? Yes, there are areas where there are no Drowzees, and for them this event is a lot better. But would it have killed them to come up with something a bit more nuanced than "lol ghost pokemon spawn more have fun"? Even just a different list of increased spawns for areas where ghost pokemon are already common? All this does is raise demand for a mass-transfer option (that I have zero faith Niantic will actually implement) for anyone in Drowzee, Gastly and Zubat-heavy areas..

javadoze

This would be so much cooler if the other six gens were present. Then there would be tons of interesting Ghost-types (and Dark-types) to catch!

Someone here brought up the idea of releasing different pokemon via seasonal batches or events instead of entire generations and I think this would've been an amazing idea for this Halloween event.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This event is incredible for the double candy alone. Basically it's 8 candies per transferred evo fodder. There's a park that's a bulba nest, so I'm definitely going this weekend to farm for Venusaur. Shouldn't take long. I'm also going to walk a bunch for the candy. Getting candy four times faster and getting more per egg.

Damn fine timing if you're at 130ish Pokémon and you want to fill out your dex.

What a really shitty event for such a huge game.
It's becoming more and more obvious how out of their depth niantic are when it comes to something like this. Also they are seriously taking the piss with the choice of pokemon on offer, that's basically the top 3 most common pokemon for me.

Maybe things will change but it's going to take a long time.

If they want inspiration they need to look at marvel future fight for a f2p game done right. Content rich Base game, lots of unlockables, tonnes of updating and fixing plus lots of events that tie into external events.

Top Bottom