• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

m23

I hope its a fucking giant beast of a system ala OG Xbox. I loved that thing. I eagerly await this powerhouse MS.

194trg12ubmrljpg.jpg

fantomena

Sony has just had a lucky Q1 with many exclusives scoring well over their expectations, specially the 3 japanese ones...that's why their lineup looks so much better atm

You think they meetings are like:

Yoshida: Damn guys, we've been so lucky with Q1 this year. I couldn't be happier. We didn't do any strategic moves at all.

Not trying to derail the thread, but if Scorpio is supposed to attract a bigger audience then...

Sure. Doesnt mean the line up isnt diverse. Its just different. MS just released a RTS and are coming with a MMO and a coop survival game.

Diversity can mean many things. Tokenism and diversity isn't the same thing. Early in the gen they were killing PS4 on exclusives but it wasn't noticed cause of the negative vitriol surrounding the system. Since then lineup isn't as diverse as it began and I'm not a major Japanese gamer either.

The full console exclusive line-up has actually been pretty diverse. They have more in certain genres than Sony/PlayStation has this gen. They just can't compete when it comes to RPGs.

RPGs, 3rd person action games, Japanese games. Xbox started off beasting Sony but it's like since they weren't winning they slowed it down? It's just having more of a selection at this point and not feeling if the genre doesn't appeal to you, that you're left out

A huge portion of today's popular games are multiplatform and Xbox will have many of them so I would say it still means something regardless of exclusives.

The PS4 is currently the most powerful console and its winning. Closest gen since the SNES gen in sales when it comes to North America but worldwide it's basically 2:1.

Microsoft knows that having the best multiplats aren't going to solve all of their problems. Having that though DID help their dominance during the previous generation in the territories that the console brand is relevant in. That alongside new console brand exclusive games should help. I don't see Scorpio as them wanting to gain worldwide dominance -- it seems more about them wanting to get back to being really dominant in North America and U.K..

It does but so does the competition so isn't that a push? Sony is in the lead but power isn't the reason they're ahead. MS fumbling its messaging & policies is the BIGGEST reason Sony is ahead. If MS had BC from day one and never attempted the always online thing, not to mention launching at $499 they would've carried the momentum from last gen forward. It would've been close, but I think US would've been Xbox land like last gen

The reason the ship is going to be going to be hard to turn is once the general pop is on one platform, it has the play with your friends advantage. Which is why Sony could never overcome MS last gen... I agree worldwide doesn't matter at this point, if I'm them I just focus on US & UK as well. I just think when your behind and trying to get into homes that already have a console having a lot of exclusives help. Cause you can't predict which exclusive will appeal to who

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
If all it needs to do is run Xbox One games in 4K then I don't see why it needs a different CPU.

Because the purpose of it isn't just to upscale Xbox one to 4k, it's their first forward and backward comparable console to blur the lines between gens. They COULD get away with jag, but that would totally hamper them when the next upgrade released 3-4 years from now.

bede-x

What?? That's Xbox's biggest problem lately. The exclusive lineup isn't very diverse.

It's actually quite diverse from a genre perspective, but if you threw genre diversity aside and looked at it from a different angle, I agree it can look quite similar. Exclusives are predominantly games that require a Live subscription to use to their fullest, they are mostly western and they consist of either endless chapters in the same three franchises or one and done collaboration projects. Mostly.

From that perspective it lacks diversity. There're very few exclusives for solo gamers, fans of japanese games or those that aren't into their pillar franchises.

Get ready for some fake or real leaks before Thursday...You know someone is going to claim to have some info...before we get the info...

fantomena

It's actually quite diverse from a genre perspective, but if you threw genre diversity aside and looked at it from a different angle, I agree it can look quite similar. Exclusives are predominantly games that require a Live subscription to use to their fullest, they are mostly western and they consist of either endless chapters in the same three franchises or one and done collaboration projects. Mostly.

From that perspective it lacks diversity. There's very few exclusives for solo gamers, fans of japanese games or those that aren't into their pillar franchises.

Even the Xbone subreddit has been very negative to the 2017 lineup.

Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, Cuphead, Forza... On my mind.

icespide

Banned
I don't think MS will have any big surprise exclusives for 2017. Interest I think they will lock up a marketing deal with a big multiplat for the holiday to show off scorpio. Assassins creed maybe?

SomTervo

I'd love to pick up an XBO but at this point it would be cool to just wait for a "Scorpio" and check the next level stuff on that.

What they really need though are some killer first party apps. XBO has some great titles but (FH3 aside) no GOATs, unlike Ninty and SonY.

A really special couple of titles would sell me the thing in a heartbeat. I was happy to pick up a Switch JUST for Zelda. That's the power a great game has.

Sony has just had a lucky Q1 with many exclusives scoring well over their expectations, specially the 3 japanese ones...that's why their lineup looks so much better atm

Lol

SenkiDala

Rösti;233213860 said:
I'd like to see the return of the black and white buttons that the original Xbox controller (The Duke) featured.

A specific date hasn't been confirmed has it?

The S controller too featured a black and white button.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Rösti;233213860 said:
I'd like to see the return of the black and white buttons that the original Xbox controller (The Duke) featured.

All rumors points to Thursday

longdi

Banned
I guess this is the end of PS4 power dominance... :~(

Will it be Polaris or Vega based?
Will it blur the lines or follow PS4 Pro?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm interested to see how Scorpio turns out, but I still think MS' needs better and more varied 1st party exclusives to help it. Crackdown 3 is a nice start. Hope to see Sea of Thieves too.

If all it needs to do is run Xbox One games in 4K then I don't see why it needs a different CPU.

Yeah, 4K is no easy feat. Check things out on the PC side. They need a good CPU AND GPU to power games at 4K effectively. I believe it's in the tea leaves: It's all XBOX ONE from now on. XBOX ONE Scorpio. XBOX One Murcielago. XBOX ONE Moccasin. The platform grows.

It's not "just XBOX One games" as if that's some indictment of quality. These developers are very talented and will get the most out of these systems just as they do on PC today. Their engines, and let's face it many games use UE4, will have customizable presets for the different consoles.

MaulerX

Because the purpose of it isn't just to upscale Xbox one to 4k, it's their first forward and backward comparable console to blur the lines between gens. They COULD get away with jag, but that would totally hamper them when the next upgrade released 3-4 years from now.

A million times this. You can argue that Scorpios power might not be fully taken advantage of but if you're going for the PCesque forward/backward compatibility route then you absolutely need the extra power to pave the way for when the next upgrade rolls around.

jelly

Rösti;233213860 said:

For screenshots and clips or more game related?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The S controller too featured a black and white button.
True, though the black and white buttons on the S controller were round and not oval as on the Duke. I vastly prefer The Duke over S. The weight and layout of that controller provided a special experience, especially with Halo: Combat Evolved, to gaming.

I want MS to prove me wrong. I've been incredibly skeptical about the Scorpio but I'm hoping this will be something to make Sony scared. I'm worried Sony's just gonna keep coasting and I want both sides getting great experiences. Microsoft has a lot to prove with this new system and a less than stellar lineup going forward. I hope they have some good surprises in store. When both companies fight their hardest it's the consumers who come out on top, and that's what I'm hoping for this holiday.

It's not diverse to people that don't know the exclusive/console exclusive games and think it's all halo gears and Forza.

I know the whole lineup. So if I don't like HALO wars what do I have to play if I have another console? Last fall if I'm burned out on Gears I got what? What am I going to play exclusively this Spring? Summer? Last Summer? Look me up on XBL Homie, Drew Daddi

I want MS to succeed! I want them to come with it! I hope they make me want a Scorpio! I don't understand why wanting more exclusives is seen as a bad thing?

SenkiDala

Rösti;233214028 said:
True, though the black and white buttons on the S controller were round and not oval as on the Duke. I vastly prefer The Duke over S. The weight and layout of that controller provided a special experience, especially with Halo: Combat Evolved, to gaming.

I agree, I'm one of the few "duke lover" too. :)

BeforeU

I know the whole lineup. So if I don't like HALO wars what do I have to play if I have another console? Last fall if I'm burned out on Gears I got what? What am I going to play exclusively this Spring? Summer? Last Summer? Look me up on XBL Homie, Drew Daddi

I can write the exact same thing for PS4. Nothing beside Uncharted 4 has impressed me. Havent even turned on PS4 this year. Look me up on PSN Homie iBandar :)

I was listening to Major Nelson Radio (podcast) and Graeme Boyd (AceyBongos, Xbox Social Marketing, Scottish guy) was a guest.

I decided to out 2+2 together though and came up with 4k Scoprio.

Here are a few things which loosely link to this leak.

- The hosts a few times mentioned 'that thing we can't talk about yet'
- Graeme Boyd was over in the US for 'conferences'
- Lots of talk about preparing for what could be E3, although it felt like something was happening sooner

A real tenuous link, I know. But I am looking for anything on Scorpio. Need it in my veins.

Boke1879

Yup i think thats what everyone expected.

This makes it sound like they are very confident

Of course they are confident, but this does just seem like a typical reveal. Specs, Forza and talking about the tech. Nothing really outside the norm here.

quest

Not Banned from OT
A million times this. You can argue that Scorpios power might not be fully taken advantage of but if you're going for the PCesque forward/backward compatibility route then you absolutely need the extra power to pave the way for when the next upgrade rolls around.

I do think the original intent was a ravens Ridge cpu. I think some time this fall AMD could not deliver and it will be stuck with a puma. I am going by the vr announcement at E3 that made it sound like they be supporting one of the pc solutions that would need a I5 level cpu. Then the vr was removed from the Scorpio's web page then we get then shortly after MS shows off their own vr solution. The vr solution seemed very rushed to me something that was not planned. But was plan B after AMD dropped the ball.

Your point is exactly why a zen cpu is needed for their generationless approach.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So is there a chance that it's coming out earlier than expected?

massucci

Banned
I can write the exact same thing for PS4. Nothing beside Uncharted 4 has impressed me. Havent even turned on PS4 this year. Look me up on PSN Homie iBandar :)
I mean, if you don't like ps4 exclusives that's ok. But let's not try to argue the ps4 has the same offer of the xbone in terms of exclusives because it's unfair.

Wasn't there a rumor that MS was developing some kind of motion interpolation to get games to "60 fps". My TV can do motion interpolation and it works very well for very specific games. It'd be pretty amazing to get the tech to a place where it is suitable for gaming. I reckon it'd change a lot of things in the industry.

BeforeU

Of course they are confident, but this does just seem like a typical reveal. Specs, Forza and talking about the tech. Nothing really outside the norm here.

No typical reveal would be they hype up and talk about how many billion transistors they have and give you top level hardware spec.

Giving it to a publication most likely DigitalFoundry, who will tear down piece by piece. Has not been done before for any hardware reveal.

I mean, if you don't like ps4 exclusives that's ok. But let's not try to argue the ps4 has the same offer of the xbone in terms of exclusives because it's unfair.

Of course not, I am not saying that. I agree PS has more diverse library. But all I am saying is 95% of those does not attract someone like me. And Yes I know that I am in minority.

EmiPrime

Wasn't there a rumor that MS was developing some kind of motion interpolation to get games to 60 "fps". My TV can do motion interpolation and it works very well for very specific games. It'd be pretty amazing to get the tech to a place where it is suitable for gaming. I reckon it'd change a lot of things in the industry.

That would be brilliant especially if it was convincing enough for FH2 and FH3.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think they will do a tent event again?

tent_185ucc.png

tent_297ukq.png

If I recall correctly we had quite a bit of fun Photoshopping the different photos of the tent.

Top Bottom